XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

It's possible that Chespin's final evo will be part fighting while froakies will be part dark. The leaker could've back tracked to cover his steps by giving false info.

TheRoyalXerneas said:
It's possible that Chespin's final evo will be part fighting while froakies will be part dark. The leaker could've back tracked to cover his steps by giving false info.

I hope not. I don't want a Grass/Fighting. Fighting is one of my least favorite Types.

He changed the typings of the starters BEFORE Gamefreak started coming after him.
I'm still hoping for a Grass/Dark.

grassdragon said:
TheRoyalXerneas said:

I hope not. I don't want a Grass/Fighting. Fighting is one of my least favorite Types.

He changed the typings of the starters BEFORE Gamefreak started coming after him.
I'm still hoping for a Grass/Dark.

I hope not. I want Chespin to be at least competitively viable. Grass/Dark would leave him with so many weaknesses(4x Bug, 2x Fighting, Ice, Fire, Flying, FAIRY, and Poison) he wouldnt make it out of UU... everyone remembers Shiftry and Caturne right? Even with "paladin-like" stats he wouldnt be able to make it, unless he had Chansey-esque bulk on the special and physical sides. Honestly, Grass/Steel would give him the resistances he needs to actually be a "paladin" although I have a feeling thats not going to happen, but either way Grass/Fighting is a much better typing than Grass/Dark.

I've noticed something while looking at NoDice's signature: Chespin seems to have a darkbrown spot on the back of it's head but looking at in game footages, this spot can only be found on the left side.

tumblr_mqa7azohdv1rd3wdjo2_1280.png

Chespin_Vs._Fletchling.jpg

tumblr_mqa7azohdv1rd3wdjo1_400.jpg

You can see it on both images and that the right side doesn't have any. I wonder if this has an importance like gender differences.

zappy800 said:
I find it funny how we have had chespin for months and no one besides you noticed that good catch!

Actually it was mentioned in other threads... just can't remember which ones xD

I'm definitely not the first to notice it (maybe the first to bring it up in this particular topic?)
When I searched for more pics so I'd see what that spot actually is, the pics with the red circles came up too (yeah, I didn't circle them myself).
Still, it's interesting to see a slightly assymetric starter. I wonder what purpose that spot has :3

Its just there to make people go "oh, that's... i don't know what o.o" with no deeper purpose IMO xD

Would just like to point out that Chespin's evolution line uses the chestnut shell as a form of armor which fits the warrior concept: Helmet --> Full body armor. Considering the long pointed tail and flat face, I would like to believe that neither the porcupine or hedgehog had any real impact on Chespin's design. Rather the mammal body was decided by the dark and light brown colors of a chestnut without a shell.

Ysmir said:
grassdragon said:
Chespin could be a Dark Knight.
Fenniken could be Wizard Fox.
Froakie could be a Ninja.

That would explain the typings: Grass/Dark, Fire/Physic, and Water/Fighting.

Except it does not fit. Fighting types are heroes who fight honorably. Since when do ninjas fight that way? No. They are all about secrecy and fighting from the shadows. Which makes Dark a more appropriate type if Frogadier is indeed a Ninja-frog.

While I agree Dark and Ninja coincide beautifully, it doesn't mean Fighting wouldn't fit either. Ninjas tend to have noteworthy martial arts skills. And I think there is a thin line between ninja and assassin... Ninjas can also be assassins, yes, though some fight for a purpose (AKA Batman). Ninjas just have their own code of honor, some good, some a bit more lenient with what they can have on their conscience.

RE: What Do You Think of the Starters and Their Evolutions?

I'm really loving the designs of the starters this gen, especially Fennekin. I haven't wanted to pick a fire type starter this bad since gen 2. If I could start with all 3 of them I would.

I feel like a pacing tiger with this generation's starters. They all have so much potential to be great, especially Chespin's line.
At first I was just "oh golly what did they do to you chespin you have a unibrow hair thing" but it's sort of growing on me. I've noticed through the generations there's always that one ohgdhfghd factor before a really great evolution (in my opinion).

It's sort of like the Croconaw of it's generation. It may turn into some really awesome armored mammal nut thing!

And I just want to snuggle my face into Froakie and Fennekin too wow what great starters.

[split] Leaks (Spoilers!)

We can all stop Nintendo from taking down PokéBeach if we all protest!

That said, it's time to Reveal Yo' Delf!

Meet Delphox! The evolution of Braixen and final evolution of Fennekin!

5TY1eDo.jpg

GJvoqHZ.png

This Pokémon is my most favorite Pokémon that has ever existed! ^^

There's something about Chesnaught that doesn't let me love it. I don't know if it's because of the disappointment that I felt after Quilladin's reveal, or if it's something in its desing, but it only just looks "plain ok" to me. You can always disagree with me about this, but I just feel indifferent for it. Here are some of the reasons:

1. Quilladin
2. Its design could have been made better. I heavily despise those lines in Chesnaught arms and legs. Maybe some kind of green armor or something for the legs...
3. The shield looks like Samurott's shell. Don't take me wrong, I love both Samurott and Chesnaugh's shell, but it could've been spikier/more menacing.
4. Arms. They look friggin' static haha. I won't love them until I see some movement :p
5. It still looks loke FRIGGIN' MEGA GARGOMON! (sorry for caps) Sidenote: I'm not one of those people who has a Poké/Digi war, I love them both. Neither am I a genwunner haha.
6. And most important of them all, Quilladin (yes, again haha).

But I know I'll end up liking it. Design-wise, I'd prefer having it over Meganium, Sceptile, and even Venusaur or Serperior, but it won't ever beat my love for Torterra xD

As for Delphox and Greninja, I love them! I'll name them Oracle and Gaiden, respectively. Delphox jumped immediately to my top 3 fire startes (just below Blaziken and Charizard), and so did Greninja (below Swampert and Blastoise)

I would like to know what does everyone else think :)

Just for fun, and since we have all the information, I decided to put this little chart together.

As per what are the best combinations of starters, since we get two, I ran the combinations of the STABs of the different combinations of starters through a type coverage calculator, just to see what would happen. I did not calculate the STAB coverage of the three combinations that share types (Fennekin+Charmander, Chespin+Bulbasaur, or Froakie+Squirtle)

This also doesn't take Charizard X's Fire/Dragon typing into account.

Here are the results:

Delphox and Venusaur (Fire, Psychic, Grass, Poision)
This STAB combination has perfect unresisted type coverage on the Pokemon we know about (Through gen 5). It is super effective on 362 Pokemon.

Delphox and Blastoise (Fire, Psychic, Water)
This STAB combination is only resisted by 12 Pokemon: The Slowbro/Slowking line, Starmie, the Sharpedo line, Crawdaunt, Latios, Latias, and the Hydreigon line. It is super effective on 326 Pokemon.

Greninja and Venusaur (Water, Dark, Grass, Poison)
This STAB combination also has perfect coverage on the Pokemon through gen 5. It is super effective on 348 Pokemon.

Greninja and Charizard (Water, Dark, Fire, Flying)
Again, unresisted STAB coverage with this pair. It is super effective on 381 Pokemon.

Chesnaught and Blastoise (Grass, Fighting, Water)
This combination of STABs is completely ineffective on Shedinja, and is resisted by 36 different Pokemon: The Venusaur line, the Vileplume line, the Parasect line, the Victreebel line, the Exeggutor line, Dragonite, the Jumpluff line, Celebi, the Roserade line, Altaria, Tropius, Salamence, Latios, Latias, Rayquaza, Wormadam(Grass), Giratina and Giratina-O, Shaymin(Sky Forme), the Leavanny line, and the Amoongus line. It is super effective on 334 Pokemon.

Chesnaught and Charizard (Grass, Fighting, Fire, Flying)
This STAB combination again has perfect coverage. It is super effective on a whopping 436 different Pokemon.

Taking this information, we come up with the order of the best combinations of Starters by subtracting the number of Pokemon that resist/are immune to each combination from the number of Pokemon that take super effective damage from the pair:

#1 Chesnaught and Charizard have a score of: 436 - 0 = 436
#2 Greninja and Charizard have a score of: 381 - 0 = 381
#3 Delphox and Venusaur have a score of: 362 - 0 = 362
#4 Greninja and Venusaur have a score of: 348 - 0 = 348
#5 Delphox and Blastoise have a score of: 326 - 12 = 314
#6 Chesnaught and Blastoise have a score of: 334 - 37 = 297

Scores of Pokemon unpaired, just for fun:

#1 Delphox has a score of: 223 - 19 = 204
#2 Greninja has a score of: 202 - 16 = 186
#3 Venusaur has a score of: 201 -75 = 176
#4 Charizard has a score of: 207 - 38 = 169
#5 Chesnaught has a score of: 273 - 127 = 146
#6 Blastoise has a score of: 119 - 190 = -71

From this information, I think I will be going with Delphox and Venusaur. It isn't the best type combination, but having Venusaur will be a huge boon since there are going to be tons of Fairy-types running around in Kalos.

Hope this information helps you all! :D

EDIT: This also doesn't account for Torchic distribution.

Remember this thread is for the discussion of the starters themselves.

Discussion about the final evolutions can go here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-leaked-final-evolutions-of-the-x-y-starters

Back