Finished Mafia LXI: Forest Fire: Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
@Jadethepokemontrainer do not claim your actions. I don't see how it's helpful for solving and it tells scum who has been successfully primed and who has not.

@Vom What was the point of asking this question?
It does, but that's a win-win for us. This is of course assuming we don't mislim and lose the game - there is always the chance someone we eliminated was primed pre or post elimination. That gives me a (possibly terrible) idea but I have to run some numbers first...

...actually, nevermind claiming @Jadethepokemontrainer. I thought I was doing something really smart but writing out an explanation I realized that getting Jade to reveal his targets would only tell scum if they need to extend the game or not, since if Jade got someone right and they just ignite scum auto-loses. Yikes.
If this can't be a tell, then why have you brought it up twice in a row? You seem to be throwing a lot of suspicion at Jabber right now without any particular reason; the "appears to have substance, but take a closer look" point is just tin-foil hat paranoia.
I've brought it up because it's not a tell - I don't want people throwing suspicion where there shouldn't be, akk I'm doing there is clarifying it's just an observation. As for the last bit, are you saying I shouldn't be looking closer at Jabber's posts? The person who just subbed in for the most impossible to read slot in the game?
This is also a bit odd - I can understand you throwing suspicion at me if your reason is "bbn could have easily bussed Mega", which is a very fair point, but you haven't even mentioned that here. "He's got too much towncred" and wifom-y "if it's too good to be true" are not very good reasons to throw suspicion on someone.
Again, not throwing suspicion. My point was not that you are scummy, but that you - or anyone really - shouldn't be considered locktown unless actually cleared.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Oh, I almost forgot about my idea. It's a gamble, but it's better than just losing if nothing comes up. Earlier, when I talked about assuming no one primed targets were eliminated, I wondered what if we did this on purpose, retroactively? i.e. eliminating someone we think has been primed by scum.

If it works, we deny scum having majority post-ignition, since that person would effectively be removed from the game twice, instead of two different people (a mislim and the person who was gonna die anyways). If it doesn't work, well, we lose the game, but if we attempt this at all that means we had no better odds so we'd have lost the game anyway.

*Fire Emblem voice* Allow me to demonstrate!

For this example, I'll use me, because I know I'm town and I could see scum thinking I'm annoying and trying to prime me at some point.

There are 6 of us right now, and it's Day 4. Assuming all primed targets are still alive, and all priming went through successfully, that means 3 people are ripe for ignition right now. If we were to eliminate a town player who hasn't been primed, that leaves 5 people, and after the ignition that only leaves 2, and we lose.

However, if we eliminate a town player who has been primed, that leaves 5 people, but 3 post-ignition - two town and one scum, making PoE incredibly easy.

Now before you throw me out the window, think about it - I don't think any of us has anything solid on anyone as of this post. We would have to be really sure (though that also goes for the scum lim, which odds do you like better?) and we'd have to come to a decision, but I think everyone should mention at least one reason why they would like to be eliminated (or not) for this.

I'll go first: I'm totally down for eliminating myself for this. I'm fairly sure one there has been a priming attempt on me at some point, because I have been popping in and out putting pressure where I think there needs to be, and really I'd like to think I'm at least somewhat threatening to the scum team - or its remain, anyway. Besides, it's my idea, and no one would even think about it if I didn't volunteer.

...not that me volunteering ensures consideration, but at least it shows I'm serious about this and not just scum trying to mislead the town into a loss.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Were there any posts in particular around D2 that made you change your mind? When I was reading the thread for the first time after subbing in, I remember being surprised that there was so much discussion around Ephemera that dropped off so quickly after the end of D1. The initial points on them (insubstantial reads, flip-floppiness, OMGUSing) all remain very relevant.
Not in particular, but if you read through it you saw the gradual decline in pressure from my part so you know it's around there. How do they remain relevant? Have you seen anything recently that draws your attention? Just a reminder that that happened in the midst of D1 chaos.
Most of us thought the Amici wagon was sound at the time; bb's role in it is very much NAI. The hammer thing was a little weird, sure, but he gave his reasoning (being 80% confident that the game would end that day) and it made sense. I'd even argue that that 80% certainty is a significant point in his favor — I think I brought this up earlier, but scum doesn't invest that heavily in an elimination they know will flip town. If your only point is "don't call bb locktown," that's fair, but there's no reason to scumread him right now, and several reasons to townread him.
That's fair, I myself didn't object to it, but I don't think giving a percentage strengthens the case on him. If anything, I'd say it's actually uncharacteristic of him to go that hard (or really to just tunnel) on someone, especially after complaining that I tunneled Ephe D1.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Lol quadrapost, but I almost missed this response.
  • Re: the amici eviction being necessary: If we hadn't evicted amici yesterday, today we go in with scum driving the amici eviction hard, and a) amici would not have really been there to defend herself, and b) it would have made sense. I don't believe we could have gone into a potential MYLO with amici's slot alive.
How is that different from yesterday? I saw people driving the eviction hard, Amici not being there to defend herself, and I don't really get the bolded. What would have made sense?

And why couldn't we have gone into MYLO with Amici alive? It would still be MYLO is we mislimmed someone else yesterday.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
If we went into MYLO with Amici alive, Amici's the elimination 100%. We couldn't leave that slot for MYLO.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Oh, I almost forgot about my idea. It's a gamble, but it's better than just losing if nothing comes up. Earlier, when I talked about assuming no one primed targets were eliminated, I wondered what if we did this on purpose, retroactively? i.e. eliminating someone we think has been primed by scum.

If it works, we deny scum having majority post-ignition, since that person would effectively be removed from the game twice, instead of two different people (a mislim and the person who was gonna die anyways). If it doesn't work, well, we lose the game, but if we attempt this at all that means we had no better odds so we'd have lost the game anyway.

For this example, I'll use me, because I know I'm town and I could see scum thinking I'm annoying and trying to prime me at some point.

There are 6 of us right now, and it's Day 4. Assuming all primed targets are still alive, and all priming went through successfully, that means 3 people are ripe for ignition right now. If we were to eliminate a town player who hasn't been primed, that leaves 5 people, and after the ignition that only leaves 2, and we lose.

However, if we eliminate a town player who has been primed, that leaves 5 people, but 3 post-ignition - two town and one scum, making PoE incredibly easy.

Now before you throw me out the window, think about it - I don't think any of us has anything solid on anyone as of this post. We would have to be really sure (though that also goes for the scum lim, which odds do you like better?) and we'd have to come to a decision, but I think everyone should mention at least one reason why they would like to be eliminated (or not) for this.

I'll go first: I'm totally down for eliminating myself for this. I'm fairly sure one there has been a priming attempt on me at some point, because I have been popping in and out putting pressure where I think there needs to be, and really I'd like to think I'm at least somewhat threatening to the scum team - or its remain, anyway. Besides, it's my idea, and no one would even think about it if I didn't volunteer.

...not that me volunteering ensures consideration, but at least it shows I'm serious about this and not just scum trying to mislead the town into a loss.

Interesting idea, and for the most part I think it comes from town, but it shouldn't happen. If we eliminate someone who we think has been primed by scum, scum just wait it out a little more, priming someone else tonight.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Interesting idea, and for the most part I think it comes from town, but it shouldn't happen. If we eliminate someone who we think has been primed by scum, scum just wait it out a little more, priming someone else tonight.
If they wait they narrow things down anyway, because whoever got eliminated becomes comfo-town.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Were there any posts in particular around D2 that made you change your mind? When I was reading the thread for the first time after subbing in, I remember being surprised that there was so much discussion around Ephemera that dropped off so quickly after the end of D1. The initial points on them (insubstantial reads, flip-floppiness, OMGUSing) all remain very relevant.

Okay, now you're just reducing my whole body of work to my D1. Bleh. I have shown. All my thoughts. About why Jade/vom/bb should probably be town based on the mega vote and their other behavior. About why I believe scattered is town, not just on the D1 vote, but on his later actions and thoughts (admittedly not a lot, but that's what I'm going back for). About why Amici needed to be the elimination yesterday. I really dislike this continued dismissal of pretty much everything I've done, reducing it to "bad reads."

Another thing: all of the things you've said are not necessarily scum traits. The one that comes more often from scum is insubstantial reads – but I don't have insubstantial reads, and it's really triggering to keep hearing that three days later. OMGUS is NAI, and that stuff only happened D1, while my "flip-floppiness" is making sure I don't lock my mindset into a mistaken world. Get a better suspicion on me if you wanna drive my miselim.

It's a weird thing to bring up if you believe they're all town. A sanity check is something you ask for if you're starting to believe it yourself.
Elaborate?

Now for this. I wanted another opinion on jade/bb/vom because I worried that I could be locking them town in my head when they shouldn't be.

As for bb/mega interactions, they were casing each other pretty hard, and they were pretty much contradictory cases – if one was valid, the other was invalid, and so on. The state of the thread meant that this was highly unlikely to be v/v – had they been v/v like D1, wolves would have likely stepped back and let it continue, whereas people in thread D2 were actively participating in the bb v. mega discussion.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
If they wait they narrow things down anyway, because whoever got eliminated becomes comfo-town.

while this is true, if we do this we're basically shooting into town here – I don't think that's worth locking a read that would be pretty much consensus anyhow.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
while this is true, if we do this we're basically shooting into town here – I don't think that's worth locking a read that would be pretty much consensus anyhow.
Yeah, the whole point is that we’re shooting into town once so we don’t get shot twice - I’m not saying it’s the best course of action, I’m just saying that it would save our hides for one more day.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Yeah, the whole point is that we’re shooting into town once so we don’t get shot twice - I’m not saying it’s the best course of action, I’m just saying that it would save our hides for one more day.

it could but in doing so we risk the very real possibility that we shoot someone not primed, whether they weren't primed or were the firefighter save. Not worth it.

I have free time now, gonna try and make a couple walls on EoDs starting with D1.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff

I don't see this working. I don't even know what we would gain from an additional Day besides more time to discuss leads.

Not in particular, but if you read through it you saw the gradual decline in pressure from my part so you know it's around there. How do they remain relevant? Have you seen anything recently that draws your attention? Just a reminder that that happened in the midst of D1 chaos.
Scumtells are scumtells no matter when in the game they happen. If you have legitimate reason to believe somebody is scum on D1, and nothing happens to refute that reason, it's still relevant on D4 regardless of how they've changed their play since then. I agree that Eph has done more actual scumhunting and built reads off of more actual evidence in the last couple Days, but changing their play after being pressured to do so is NAI. Meanwhile, early scumtells do indicate alignment.

To clarify, I'm still unsure myself how much of Eph's earlygame play to chalk up to inexperience. They say they're trying out a new mode of play, which I respect, but at the same time eight games is plenty of experience to know not to do some of stuff they did (gut-based reads, OMGUSing). My general point here is that it doesn't make sense for them to fall off your scumdar purely by changing the play that got them onto it in the first place.

That's fair, I myself didn't object to it, but I don't think giving a percentage strengthens the case on him. If anything, I'd say it's actually uncharacteristic of him to go that hard (or really to just tunnel) on someone, especially after complaining that I tunneled Ephe D1.
I think he had pretty legitimate reasons; he had solidified his reads on everybody else as at least lean-town, and moreover it wasn't just PoE; we all had plenty of reasons to expect that Amici was scum. It might be a little out of character, but then it's pretty rare that somebody can have all their reads that tied up in the first place. And I stand by the statement that scum would be extremely unlikely to claim 80% confidence in an elimination they know will flip town.

Okay, now you're just reducing my whole body of work to my D1. Bleh. I have shown. All my thoughts. About why Jade/vom/bb should probably be town based on the mega vote and their other behavior. About why I believe scattered is town, not just on the D1 vote, but on his later actions and thoughts (admittedly not a lot, but that's what I'm going back for). About why Amici needed to be the elimination yesterday. I really dislike this continued dismissal of pretty much everything I've done, reducing it to "bad reads."
It's not my intention to reduce everything you've done in this game to your D1. Again, you've responded admirably to the questions put to you since I subbed in; in the last Day-and-a-bit you've developed your reads substantially based on things people have said and the way they've voted over the course of the game. But the facts as I see them are like this: You spent much of the first two Days making unsubstantiated statements like "this feels scummy" and pushing cases for which the evidence essentially amounted to gut feelings. Many players, including Vom and bb, pressured you to develop your reads further, and at some point (I think toward the end of D2, but I could be misremembering my read-through) you began to do that. However, nothing has happened to discount people's early scumreads on you, and as such the wagon that started on you on D1 still holds all the same merit it did then.

Another thing: all of the things you've said are not necessarily scum traits. The one that comes more often from scum is insubstantial reads – but I don't have insubstantial reads, and it's really triggering to keep hearing that three days later.
I need to reread and it's not gonna happen tonight, but I know you've had insubstantial reads this game.

OMGUS is NAI
OMGUS is only NAI if the player doing it doesn't know any better; for somebody who has the experience of eight games behind them, it's an unsubstantiated read, and only scum tries to push eliminations for which they know they have no concrete evidence.

while my "flip-floppiness" is making sure I don't lock my mindset into a mistaken world.
A certain amount of flip-floppiness is expected, for sure; you don't want to be tunneling. But too much flip-floppiness is a scumtell because of how scum want to cover all their bases. This might be a fair defense; I need to go back and reread to make sure.

Now for this. I wanted another opinion on jade/bb/vom because I worried that I could be locking them town in my head when they shouldn't be.
That's fair.

As for bb/mega interactions, they were casing each other pretty hard, and they were pretty much contradictory cases – if one was valid, the other was invalid, and so on. The state of the thread meant that this was highly unlikely to be v/v – had they been v/v like D1, wolves would have likely stepped back and let it continue, whereas people in thread D2 were actively participating in the bb v. mega discussion.
That's also fair. I think Vom(?) was the one who initially asked you about your D2 bb/Mega read, so tagging @Vom in case she missed this and has anything more to say about it.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
bb/mega not v/v was a mindmeld with vom iirc

reading is hard when internal motivation is weak. will get walls out regardless.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
okay some thoughts.

note: i'm starting from flips only, so there will be no progression from previous reads lol.

early game scattered talks a lot to mega. weird. could be that they're scumteam together and scattered unconsciously gravitates towards his teammate?

Ephemera

just a little longer...
People currently voting me: bb/vom/cel/mega – there's at least one scum here, maybe both. it's possible the scumteam is taking different approaches here, so I'm leaning towards only one? bb/vom/cel were on my wagon first – i guess it's possible that mega is the scum among the four, and the first three are all town looking for my response to the wagon? – but again, it's the easiest wagon to get on, the easiest to justify, and the easiest to back off of. I think scum on my wagon is more likely to be within bb/cel/vom – mega's vote, if it stays on, is almost too obvious to get my wagon into a runaway lead.

lol D1 me
sometimes the obvious scummy vote is just obvious

mega's interactions with bb don't sound like D1 scum theater, nor do they sound stilted like a scum player mentioning their teammate.

Ephemera

just a little longer...
scattered dodging my question about past scumgames could be sus. Or it could just be forgetting about your last scumgame. Idk.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
My breakdown on Eph's Day 4 posts:

Categories: Self-defense, Solving, Neither
#454, #455, #456, #462, #463, [I call out Eph for not solving], #476, #485, #486, #489, #490, #492, #495, #495, #496, #487, #498

• #486, #490, #492 are just comments on Vom's "elim-the-primed" idea, which isn't really solving.
  • #496 is Eph's "okay some thoughts" post, and I'd argue that's the first substantial solving attempt we've seen from Eph today.
adkfdjasdflkjasf come on, guys, this is possibly our last shot at this! The game can't last much longer (either we catch scum, or 3 people get ignited, unless we got lucky and firefighter aimed right) – and we have a good chance to catch scum here.

I'm going to reread the thread quickly (maybe tomorrow, got some stuff to finish first) and try to put my pre-conceived reads aside and start from the flips and only those.

We need to talk today: while eliminating the amici slot was pretty much necessary, we can't sit around and let this day pass by.

Lemme put a list of the alive players:

bb
vom
jade
jabber
scattered
ephe (me)

I'm going to go back and check interactions, particularly with mega.

A few things:
  1. Firefighter claim immediately please!
  2. A question to everyone: is it possible that the mega wagon D2 wasn't pure? I'd like a sanity check.
  3. Ask your questions – did you find anyone suspicious, any post weird? Ask now – we can't lose this game due to inactivity, please.

Tomorrow (since i'm tired as heck and still somehow have stuff to do) I'll go over the thread again for interactions with flipped scum and town, as well as Jade, who is firefighter.

Besides Jade, no one is a lock. There are very likely townies, but no one besides Jade is a lock.

...unless there's a counterclaim :U
And I don't count either of these posts (#456 and #463) as solving because Eph's literally just saying "we need to be active" and "I'm going to read back", which again doesn't actually solve anything.

I think Eph has consistently focused most of their attention on defending themself when under pressure, and focuses attention on solving when they're not under pressure. Eph's early Day 1 is an exception - she was more focused on OMGUSing people and often neglected to respond to the actual case on them (which is just as scummy). Honestly , I'm not seeing these things as a scumtell - if Eph's playstyle had changed massively over the course of the game, then it would suggest Eph is actively putting up a facade. However, Eph's playstyle hasn't really changed over time, which would suggest these quirks are inherent. i.e. Eph is just a scummy town and their playstyle is probably NAI. Eph seeming genuinely surprised that other people think she's not solving does support this.

@Jabberwock this is why I've stopped basing my read on Eph based on how they solve.

Unfortunately, I've just come to this conclusion as I type this up, so this is a bit of a long-winded way of saying that I'm finding Eph really difficult to read. It's a lean-town though rn.

Also, on the "did Eph have good reads" conversation; I think Eph had legitimate reads at the end of Day 1 and end of Day 2 where they built the Cel and bbn cases. I think Eph's start of Day 1 and start of Day 2 reads were very bad and hardly reads at all, but that's opinion.

I've brought it up because it's not a tell - I don't want people throwing suspicion where there shouldn't be, akk I'm doing there is clarifying it's just an observation. As for the last bit, are you saying I shouldn't be looking closer at Jabber's posts? The person who just subbed in for the most impossible to read slot in the game?
No, my issue is that you're throwing suspicion on Jabber without actually looking closer at their posts. Re: throwing suspicion one me, while I agree with the sentiment that I shouldn't be locktown'd, that's not quite the tone I was getting from your post. Anyway, it's not something I want to fight over - I mostly wanted to see what you had to say to those points.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
okay some thoughts.

note: i'm starting from flips only, so there will be no progression from previous reads lol.

early game scattered talks a lot to mega. weird. could be that they're scumteam together and scattered unconsciously gravitates towards his teammate?

show it because I don’t remember talking to mega more than twice maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.