Yveltal EX Variants

RE: Why Seismitoad in Yveltal

Ok in my Yveltal EX deck that i currently run my pokemon line up is. 3 Yveltal EX, 2 darkrai EX, 2 seismitoad EX, 2 Yveltal, 1 keldeo EX, 1 Mewtwo EX. Seismitoad is good against pyroar because if you have the hypnotoxic laser and virbank combo against a pyroar it is dificult for them to set up another pyroar. Their pyroar will also die from posion in two turns as long as virbank is out and they dont retreat, the quaking punch stops them from playing all of their items which is really helpfull to you. Seismitoad EX is also great to slow decks down that need their items.

If you want a pyroar counter that is also good against lugia then you could go with a 2-2 Raichu line and drop the float stones all together.

You could also run m manectric EX in the deck instead of the garbador to attack pyroar as well as accelerate energy.

i thought about it. took my float stones out and had too tough of a time finding a tool with just 3 in. So i put them back in. But i'm going to pull one back out for something now that i have skyla to replace it.

I ran my deck with the new list against my straight Vir/Gen
The first time I lost: I couldn't get my hands on energy. All but 1 DCE and 1 Dark were in my discard. I couldn't get the lucky draw on the 2 in my deck.
The second game, I won: It was a close game. There were a few turns i noticed (both games) where i didn't play any supporters. Wish i had a few VS Seekers. Also, Lysandre has been useless to me since day 1. I throw him away every time. I'd rather play a Juniper/Bianca/N to improve my standing and position. I think i'm pulling him for VS Seeker. Also, Skyla is staying. she helped me recover game one (she's great mid-game, when you don't care about Junipering or drawing). Then, she won game 2 for me. Genesect had 60 damage on him so i Skyla'd for a hypnotoxic laser and used Y Cyclone. Without skyla being there for me to summon up a laser, Genesect would've lived by 10 and i would've lost. I love my Skylas. I know every one recommends not playing her but when you're going "man! i wish i had this/that/the other or my computer search!" you start to really appreciate that skyla turns the game towards you and helps you win. :)

Also, i've been thinking about a supporter tactic. Run something like 2 N, 2 Colress, 2 Juniper, 2 Bianca, 2 Skyla, 1 Lysandre. Then run 4 VS Seeker. That way, you can throw away supporters at leisure and (when you need one) have a large list to choose from for whatever fit your needs?
think it could work?

oXHASEOXo said:
The first time I lost: I couldn't get my hands on energy. All but 1 DCE and 1 Dark were in my discard. I couldn't get the lucky draw on the 2 in my deck.
The second game, I won: It was a close game. There were a few turns i noticed (both games) where i didn't play any supporters. Wish i had a few VS Seekers. Also, Lysandre has been useless to me since day 1. I throw him away every time. I'd rather play a Juniper/Bianca/N to improve my standing and position. I think i'm pulling him for VS Seeker. Also, Skyla is staying. she helped me recover game one (she's great mid-game, when you don't care about Junipering or drawing). Then, she won game 2 for me. Genesect had 60 damage on him so i Skyla'd for a hypnotoxic laser and used Y Cyclone. Without skyla being there for me to summon up a laser, Genesect would've lived by 10 and i would've lost. I love my Skylas. I know every one recommends not playing her but when you're going "man! i wish i had this/that/the other or my computer search!" you start to really appreciate that skyla turns the game towards you and helps you win. :)

Also, i've been thinking about a supporter tactic. Run something like 2 N, 2 Colress, 2 Juniper, 2 Bianca, 2 Skyla, 1 Lysandre. Then run 4 VS Seeker. That way, you can throw away supporters at leisure and (when you need one) have a large list to choose from for whatever fit your needs?
think it could work?

You really should be running 4 Juniper, 4 N, 2 Colress, 2 Lysandre, 2-3 VS Seeker and 0-2 Skyla. Often you discard your Lysandre early and VS Seeker for them later in the game.

Seismitoad is just a very solid pokemon. He can attack turn 2, and set your opponent back quite a bit. If you have space in your deck, and you run DCE he is a good choice for most decks.

bbninjas said:
oXHASEOXo said:

think it could work?

You really should be running 4 Juniper, 4 N, 2 Colress, 2 Lysandre, 2-3 VS Seeker and 0-2 Skyla. Often you discard your Lysandre early and VS Seeker for them later in the game.

No one seems to favor Bianca either... lol
i fell in love with her with my Blastoise deck a few years back. Was running two Beaches, 4 Juniper, 4 Bianca, 2 N, 2 Colress and 3 superior energy retrievals. *sigh* i miss the damage i dealt with that deck. Black Kyurem EX for 200, and i think i had the 300 HP Ace Spec. lolol. Made people lose their kool-aid.
she really sped my deck out. i had an army of doom in just a few turns every game :)
see i was going to Lysandre (in game 2) to pull out the 60 dmg-ed Genesect. But after G Booster it was best to switch for another Knock Out. So, after the further damaged one attacked, i floated back and Knocked out due to skyla. Lysandre was useless. I was going to Juniper him away (in hopes of a laser) but then i drew skyla :)
she really is a great clinch hitter/clutch player
even if i had drawn a VS Seeker, i would've pulled Skyla from my discard FTW!

True, but you will find games where you wish you had Lysandre. Especially in a competitive context. Skyla's great, but can't switch out an opponent's bench for the last prize, sadly. If you ever see Jirachis, you will notice you can easily KO it to take the last two prizes and win the game, but only if you have a lysandre. This goes for everything, of course (Jirachi is just a particularly common example).

bbninjas said:
True, but you will find games where you wish you had Lysandre. Especially in a competitive context. Skyla's great, but can't switch out an opponent's bench for the last prize, sadly. If you ever see Jirachis, you will notice you can easily KO it to take the last two prizes and win the game, but only if you have a lysandre. This goes for everything, of course (Jirachi is just a particularly common example).

I know but that's where i usually only run 1 Lysandre. If he's prized then it's just meant to be. Of course I'm that weird guy that manages to wiggle a town map into random decks so i usually don't worry about that cause i can pick my prizes
Even then, i would almost be content to find a way to squeeze in 2 Catchers in stead of him and roll for the heads. I run dowsing machine so i could technically get two off at once if i needed to. skyla one from the deck and dowse for the discarded.
idk, i'll have to think about it... I've just yet to use him, is it better to throw off the flow of my deck for something i may need? Or keep consistency and good flow but suffer on that Jirachi occasion? Idk if the Jirachi occasion really bugs me as much. There's always a way. Even if i can't grab him off the bench, can i really do nothing with my Yveltal's/Darkrai's against the guy i'm up against? I can usually bounce my guys around freely and that's reward enough for not being able to pick who i'm fighting. I'll have to put much thought into this... maybe States will help me decide the answer. or regionals, i may actually make it to a few this year (for the first time in my life...) :)

The lysandre dosent really mess up the flow of your deck at all. I currently play a Yveltal EX deck and the lysandre's are very nessecary. If you dont need it at a certain time then just ultra ball it away and vs seeker it back later. It sucks when you area attacking a pokemon and they retreat and start to get healed off. Another thing lysandre is good for in the deck is for is getting an ex down to 30 HP left and lysandreing another pokemon and use darkrai EX to utilize the damage you have better.

For those of you who may have noticed, Yveltal-Seismitoad with/without Garbodor were played by the top 3 players at the FL Regionals, day 1. YSG was also run by the top player day 2. Big props to those players.

Both main Poké are very good attackers; one can easily "hit the numbers" to 1HKO any Poké in the format and has decent support (between Yveltal and Darkrai EX); and the other provides Item-lock, counters another major meta Poké (Landorus EX) and can also be powered-up without too much trouble. Both also have solid 2nd attacks too should one need to utilize those options. Garbodor provides a very nice "X" factor should the field play lots of Poké with Abilities.

I suspect many players chose to rely upon decks that they were most comfortable with; hence many players chose pre-Primal Clash decks to play. My understanding is that only 1 PC deck made into the T32. I heard that there were some Gardy and Metal decks being played and those players were on the fringe of the T32. Those 2 groups may have "canceled" each other out and/or leaving a much larger population of pre-PC deck players emerging to the top ranks.

Going forward, it will be interesting to see how viable Yveltal-Seismitoad with/without Garbodor might be since Garbodor does not affect the new Alpha and Omega "super powers." Time will tell though.

YSG? Yveltal Seis, Garb?

PC deck? sorry, i'm new to the abbreviations.

Not sure about the super power thing either...

But, i've been a fan of 2 toads in my deck. Other than against grass. If you see green and play him, expect to lose. Discard and it just makes it easier to get to the guys that you need. :)

oXHASEOXo said:
YSG? Yveltal Seis, Garb?

But, i've been a fan of 2 toads in my deck. Other than against grass. If you see green and play him, expect to lose. Discard and it just makes it easier to get to the guys that you need. :)

PC - Primal Clash; I usually abbreviate it as PrC.

By 'super powers' I believe he means Ancient Traits - like Omega Barrier and Alpha Growth.

This is, of course, my understanding of it.

Anyway, back to topic - whenever I run into a Yveltal deck running Toad... it feels less like Yveltal w/Toad and more like Toad w/Yveltal. Then again I also run a Donphan deck on PTCGO, so... It's just too fast with how many status options you can have in the format right now.

In my current Yveltal EX/ Toad deck i dont run garbador. It has done well in testing against the new primal pokemon and M pokemon. The key to those matchups is to get the toad out as fast as possible so they cant get their spirit links down and you can play your head ringers on them as well. The Head ringers make it easier for Yveltal EX to OHKO them because they need more energy. Or lysandre the pokemon up before they can Primal evolve.

DarkMatterGaming said:
oXHASEOXo said:
YSG? Yveltal Seis, Garb?

PC - Primal Clash; I usually abbreviate it as PrC.

By 'super powers' I believe he means Ancient Traits - like Omega Barrier and Alpha Growth.

This is, of course, my understanding of it.

Anyway, back to topic - whenever I run into a Yveltal deck running Toad... it feels less like Yveltal w/Toad and more like Toad w/Yveltal. Then again I also run a Donphan deck on PTCGO, so... It's just too fast with how many status options you can have in the format right now.

Ironman131 said:
In my current Yveltal EX/ Toad deck i dont run garbador. It has done well in testing against the new primal pokemon and M pokemon. The key to those matchups is to get the toad out as fast as possible so they cant get their spirit links down and you can play your head ringers on them as well. The Head ringers make it easier for Yveltal EX to OHKO them because they need more energy. Or lysandre the pokemon up before they can Primal evolve.

Thank you, i was soooo lost on those. lol
not sure how to fight those decks yet. have yet to see one.
growth/grass i'm not worried about with my fire deck.
Yveltal may go by the way side next season, some of those effects are ridiculous... and he's becoming too slow. I say this because i used to run him a while ago and with darkrai/sableye and dark patches, the deck really did move. When i run my new one, people think it seems to move quick and (in my head) i'm going "this deck is slower than molasses running up hill"
my old Yveltal deck wouldn't even be in the same league as the new one. It would, hands down, crush any Yveltal deck of today. I dont care who's running it or what's in it. My old deck COULDN'T lose to the new Yveltal.
Hence why you need toad. Without him (while running Yveltal) your going to lose games due to slow starts.

I like how the Pokemon company plays favorites and goes out of their way to destroy decks.
I love dark decks. Have since they came out. And they're slowly but surely getting slower.
But they're not powering down any of the other decks.
you can deluge infinite energy. or virizion double attach. or blacksmith double attach. or emboar? is he still legal?
or you can plasma badge specials like they're going out of style.
but dark gets none of the love. They shunned it out of the energy game, which is really lame...
they power up every type of deck and down power dark for what... 4 sets now?
glad to know Darkrai won't be in the finals at worlds...
But seriously. the company is attacking dark decks only (how i and my friends feel about it)

and sorry Machamp the Champ.
i'll try to drag side discussions into new threads, as i'm the one that keeps getting side tracked... lol

Yes Dark decks are a little bit slower than they were with Dark patch and seismitoad EX helps that. Yveltal EX decks are still among the best decks in the format even though they have lost things like dark patch and sableye. Pokemon is slowing dark decks down so other decks will be played more. Rain dance type decks are not as good as they used to be because most rain dancing pokemon are stage 2's and are difficult to play mainly because of Seismioad EX. Emboar is still legal but there is not much support for emboar.

No but i fear going up against water/fire/grass/plasma
because they're allowed to power up while dark decks are not and have to abide by the 1 per turn rule.
i'm not saying it's not still a good deck, but they've done a great job at killing it.
and i believe by next year the deck will be dead. By then they'll have had a chance to launch at least 2 more Anit-Dark Sets...

and i agree that it does encourage other decks to be used. But in my case all it did was boost the broken decks (in my area) so that i don't even want to run Dark. I walk into a tourny now and all i see is Plasma, Vir/Gen, and Energy flood decks. You can beat them with luck. But they don't need luck with their broken (i have 30 energy out turn 1) decks.

it seems to me like by saying "we want you guys to explore other routes" all they did was really say "we're against dark, choose one of the other broken decks that we'll continue to support"

idk, i guess they just need more variety. You spectate a local Yu-Gi-Oh! or Magic tourny and you never see the same deck twice. With Pokemon, all i see is the same 4 decks over and over and over again. I wish they would've left dark alone. Atleast then the broken deck count goes up.

i only say that because Yveltal is pretty dead in my state. I think every one knows the company just isn't going to support the line "properly" anymore.
The even weird-er part is the fairy types. They released them a short while ago and since then i've yet to see even 1 fairy deck. Why even put them into the card line if you're just going to make them all useless?

The only actually bad matchup that you listed was Vir/Gen just because your lasers are usless unless you are running garbador. If someone wants to load up a bunch of pokemon using deluge against my Yvelta EX I start to get little excited. That means I can put less energy on one Yveltal EX and still hit large numbers for damage output, so I can power up multiple attackers. The seismitoad EX in the deck also slows the plasma decks down and dont really run grass attackers most the time, If you are worried about Thunderous EX than be more conservative with your Yveltal EX's. Seismitoad Ex is also great against decks like blastoise and emboar because they need the rare candies to get the blastoise and emboar out quickly, they also need ther superior energy retrival to get discarded energy back quickly.

Yes, but Yveltal still takes 2 turns to power up even if you use his lesser attack. that and some of them have "dump" options where it says to discard 2,3 or 4 energy. So they power up (same turn) and hit you and then leave 1 or 2 energy on attacker to discourage using the first attack.

i get that but my blastoise deck never had issues with that. between my draw power and the fact that (even if i get N-ed) i can just pull 4 energy out of my discard and hit you. I ran a lot of blastoise. People didn't like my 4-4 line but it gauranteed me a blastoise early on. and if i didn't have a kyurem then i'd just drop an extra Blastoise on them with a bunch of energy. Forcing them to kill him for one prize and allowing me to reload. I also ran 4 skyla in my blastoise. Allowed me to grab energy, pokemon, ace spec at my leisure.

I only lost once with my Blastoise deck. It was too another Blastoise deck, running a grass type. he got lucky with the grass type draw right off the get, otherwise it would've been my game. his deck was a little too slow because of the grass. And he only had 1 grass type in. I mean really, what are the odds he drew the 1 card he needed out of 60. He even said it normally didn't show up till mid game. Had that been the case he wouldn't have stood a chance.
alas, i don't know if they've been rotated out, if not, i'm not spending 500 bucks on another set of beaches to rebuild it.

With Yveltal, i've had my first 2 or 3 turns go by without being able to attack. and i would've used toad but it was a grass deck sooo i end up losing.
I'm running it against Vir/Gen because it's a broken deck. It can made so vicious and quick. Probably because they love it. The new special energy for grass makes the deck even worse. There's no special dark... They just keep on healing without needing potions (as if Vir/Gen wasn't broken enough)
But if i can't beat a Vir/Gen deck, there's no point in running it. I know atleast 4 people that're going to states with Vir/Gen (that deck is huge in my state) so i'd rather not run a deck that i know is going to lose 75% of the time to a deck that i know there's going to be 50 copies of.

I just can't get it to keep up with it. I tried removing garbador. My deck sped up ( a little) but then it allowed genesect to just dictate the whole game with his stupid built in catcher. that no other deck gets...

Back