Yveltal EX Variants

I think Manectric-EX can work with Yveltal/Garbodor. I still need to test it though. I've tried it with the mega already and it becomes clunky. Has anyone else tried Manectric with Yveltal?

I've got shadow circles in the build I have now to combat their weaknesses when need be.

I've been playing Yveltal EX with Hydreigon (both phantom and LDT) and it plays really well. If you set up by turn 3, it's a domination. My biggest weakness is M Manectric EX variants. I've even tested against Garb and the match up is not favorable, but very winnable. Garb variants tend to run a 2-2 line and very few run 3-3 so as long as you can take out the garb, you should be fine. Anybody else test this variant?

You could use shadow circle gym to help against your weakness. Garb shouldnt hurt the deck that badly becuse your main attackers probably dont have abilitys but it does hinder the ability to attach from discard pile and move energy freely.

i play 2 shadow circle ATM. I wish i could up it to 3 but the deck is tight on space. I also play dowsing so if i have to, i can get 1 back. The garb match ups just gives me a lot of dead weight. About 12+ cards are committed to setting up the Hydriegons so it's just annoying is all.

Would a VS seeker be very userful? I might have one, but I am also running Darkrai in my Yveltal/Garbodor deck, after I do some playtesting I will see if thats a good fit. I'm preparing for cities! It's time for me to win one haha

spraypaintsas75 said:
Update on Hydreigon variant, just came in 3rd place at Cities in Tallahassee Fl with that variant.

Good job. Did you have trouble setting it up against Seismitoad or was it easy enough?

Gengar master said:
spraypaintsas75 said:
Update on Hydreigon variant, just came in 3rd place at Cities in Tallahassee Fl with that variant.

Good job. Did you have trouble setting it up against Seismitoad or was it easy enough?

I would assume that you wouldn't even attempt to setup Hydreigon against Seismitoad EX and just play it like straight Dark. Straight Dark beats Seismitoad EX most of the time.

Camoclone said:
Gengar master said:

I would assume that you wouldn't even attempt to setup Hydreigon against Seismitoad EX and just play it like straight Dark. Straight Dark beats Seismitoad EX most of the time.

Yea, true. Just thought it would make it even more easier if he set up Hydreigon but then there is Garbodor, so it wouldn't be helpful.

spraypaintsas75 said:
Congrats!

I'm seeing/hearing about some players running and winning CCs with a variety of Yveltal decks. Were most of the players running Yveltal decks? How would you describe the deck population of your tournament (i.e., 25% VirGen, 40% Yveltal, etc.)? Thanks.

Surprisingly there was only 2 Yveltal Decks and we both made top 4. Id say about 4 donphan (one in top 4). 3 Virizion/ Genesect (last of top 4). About 1 or 2 players were playing GarbaSeis and metal. Everyone one else was random stuff like straight fairies, Machamp fighting variant, Etc. We had 13 Masters total, the other 3 in top 4 have had worlds invites in the past abd 5 players total have played in nationals. I was the only newbie that placed

I didn't play Seis during the tourney but was prepared for the matchup. Darkrai is very effective against the toad and I ran 2 rare candy, 2 stage 1 so i could still get around toad. I play tested the matchup a lot so i was prepared. My biggest loss was to a donphan deck that ran 2 Wobbufet. I played 3 shadow Circle and won the stadium war, but i didn't think they would play wobbuffet. The Hydreigons are very effective against the outragers and I played 1 seismitoad myself so i could keep the robo subs at bay with Darkrai And road, but the wobbuffet shut me down completely. I managed to KO 1 of them but then he just dropped the second and it was all over. That particular game I managed to prize a Lysandre (1/2) and both VS Seeker, so that didn't really help..

Nice job placing at cities, I don't think I'll be playing at my local cities since I'll be judging. How did you feel only running 2 VS Seeker, why not 3?

I had to run 2 because of space. I tested with 3 and didn't feel a huge difference in it's playability because i didn't want to play it for the first few turns anyway, so i found myself having to discard it with Juniper or ultra ball, or Ning it back into the deck. 2 was a solid enough number for me. And thanks!!

Just got run over by a Fairy deck with Florges. Anyone have any tips on how to improve that matchup? Or even how to play that match? Thanks.

Fairy is a tricky matchup for Yveltal because the Dark resistance really does mess with your math. A Yveltal with a Dark energy cand a DCE (pretty common setup) will only hit a Florges for 100 base (assuming the Florges has the two energy attached to attack) with Evil Ball after Resistance has been factored in. Muscle Band ups this to 120, and Laserbank 150, but that's still 10 short of a knockout. The Florges player is then able to AZ / Max Potion on their next turn to negate any damage you did. Some things you can do include using Yveltal XY to accelerate lots of energy onto your Yveltal-EX so they have OHKO power. This is risky however, since the Fairy player can suddenly bench a Manectric (pretty common these days) and return the favor. Seismitoad-EX is an option, as Quaking Punch prevents the opponent from playing items, and only needs a DCE to use. I also assume you're not running Garbodor since this is a trouble matchup for you. However, if Fairy is very common in your area, Garbodor is something to seriously consider.

I recently started playing with Yveltal EX and I don't think Fairy is that bad of a matchup. Like Little Keldeo said, Quaking punch helps a lot. It can help soften up the Fairy Pokemon to be killed with Yveltal EX the next turn since they can't us Max Potion to get rid of the damage.

(I currently don't use Garbodor in my build)

Darkrai EX also helps in the fairy matchup because it lets you spread some damage around doing 30 to benched pokemon. This benched damage makes it tough for our oppenent to get all the damage off all of there pokemon and the prize trade will eventually turn in your favor. Darkrai EX with a Muscle band also 2HKO's anything in most fairy decks with the extra 10 HP making it a little tougher to knock out.

You could also run Mewtwo EX as an alternative attacker that fairy decks dont resist.

Back