Yveltal EX Variants

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Yveltal EX variants, including Yveltal/Darkrai, Yveltal/Garbodor, or any other deck revolving around Yveltal EX. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Yveltal / Seismitoad Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 9
  • 3 Yveltal EX
  • 2 Seismitoad EX
  • 2 Yveltal XY
  • 2 Darkrai EX
Trainers: 32
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Energy Switch
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 12
  • 8 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Open Spots: 6

Strategy:
The strategy of Yveltal is pretty simple. You do as much damage as possible with Evil Ball, using Double Colorless Energy, Muscle Band, Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym. Y Cyclone is also a great attack for conserving your Energy if you can't get a Knock Out. The non-EX Yveltal and Seismitoad EX Pokemon that can either speed up your set up (Yveltal), or slow down your opponent (Seismitoad EX). Darkrai EX's ability allows you to retreat between your Pokemon easily, and its different Weakness and higher HP can be useful at times. Yveltal decks don't have any glaring weaknesses, but they don't have any particularly great match ups either. If you're looking for a deck that can do well in any metagame, Yveltal is a great choice.

Good Additions:
  • Keldeo EX
  • Mewtwo EX
  • Raichu XY
  • Hard Charm
  • Head Ringer or Jamming Net
  • Crushing Hammer and/or Enhanced Hammer
  • Max Potion or Super Scoop Up
  • Bicycle
  • Shadow Circle
  • Lysandre's Trump Card

Yveltal/Garbodor Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 11
  • 3 Yveltal EX
  • 2 Seismitoad EX
  • 2 Yveltal XY
  • 2 Garbodor DRX
  • 2 Trubbish DRX
Trainers: 33
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 11
  • 7 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Open Spots: 5

Strategy:
This Yveltal variant is very similar to the others: Just use Evil Ball with damage boosting cards like Muscle Band and Hypnotoxic Laser to get quick knock outs. This variant also runs Garbodor though. Yveltal can otherwise have a lot of trouble with Ability decks, and Garbodor is the perfect counter to those. The only problem this variant can run into is being a little inconsistent. With all those Garbodors, Trubbishes and Float Stones in the deck, drawing the cards you need becomes a lot harder. But if you're drawing all the cards you need, Yveltal should be destroying everything in its path.

Good Additions:
  • Darkrai EX
  • Keldeo EX
  • Mewtwo EX
  • Raichu XY
  • Head Ringer or Jamming Net
  • Energy Switch
  • Max Potion
  • Bicycle
  • Lysandre's Trump Card

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: New format Darkrai/yveltal?

Nothing is going to match the power of those cards, but there are options. It may be a Stage 1, but Diggersby has Pickup, which is almost exactly the same as Junk Hunt. It takes 2 Energies, but you could potentailly run a few DCE to use it. Baby Yveltal can fill Dark Patch's role...kind of. It's a slower way to get Dark Energies onto your Pokemon, but it's pretty much the best option there is now.

RE: New format Darkrai/yveltal?

skullvarnish said:
Nothing is going to match the power of those cards, but there are options. It may be a Stage 1, but Diggersby has Pickup, which is almost exactly the same as Junk Hunt. It takes 2 Energies, but you could potentailly run a few DCE to use it. Baby Yveltal can fill Dark Patch's role...kind of. It's a slower way to get Dark Energies onto your Pokemon, but it's pretty much the best option there is now.

Without Dark Patch, I don't think Diggersby would be all that helpful, especially since it's a Stage 1.

Yveltal XY is a pretty nice card for accelerating Energy. I would think the playing style for Yveltal decks would completely shift: Players would more than likely sit back with baby Yveltal for a few turns using Oblivion Wing to set up Yveltal EXs, then once 1 or 2 of those die, Yveltal EX would come out and start deal massive damage. Absol might become more popular in those decks, too, due to its low Energy cost.

Another option is using Xerneas XY, with or without Aromatisse. It's just a faster version of Yveltal XY that gets more Energy in play, but you'd have to run Rainbow or Dark Energy along side Fairy. Who knows? It could be a decent deck.

RE: Yveltal/Darkrai in the New Format

Very true. With no Dark Patch, recycling items is probably unneeded.

Victini EX might be better than Xerneas, since it has a similar attack, but can get Dark Energies.

I think Victini is way too frail nowadays to be a set up Pokemon AND an EX, and this is coming from a player who has never underestimated it's potential. I think I'd rather just go with Yveltal X/Y because if nothing else, it's a solid card. If I chose to play that deck at all that is. I don't know how it'll recover from loosing Sableye and Dark Patch.

I think dark decks will have to go straight up beatdown. I'd actually take out Darkrai and focus on Yveltal/Yveltal EX. The Yveltal deck I'm testing uses Garbodor and DCE friendly attackers (Raichu, Mewtwo EX, Druddigon). The deck needs work, but I think the strategy is a winner. It's got energy acceleration, Garbodor, some cheap attackers, multiple types to hit for weakness, and a powerhouse in the form of Yveltal EX. Not much different from the Garbodor deck that won nationals, but with a focus on Darkness pokemon instead of fighting.

Outlook for Darkrai and Yveltal in BCR-FF

So obviously with the upcoming rotation knocking out all cards before Boundaries Crossed, this means that Darkrai and Yveltal decks will be losing some good cards like Sableye DEX and Dark Patch. However, this isn't the first time something bad has happened that affected Darkrai decks, and somehow, Darkrai has found a way to hang in and even maintain it's Tier 1 dominance. However, the previous afflictions were not as bad as this. Dark Patch is a huge part of how Darkrai decks accelerate their energy. Sableye was also crucial in the fact that it allowed you to run less copies of some cards because you could simply Junk Hunt them back, but now that too, is gone. Yveltal doesn't suffer too much from the loss of Sableye, however, the loss of Dark Patch does hurt. I'm not saying that this is the "end" of Darkrai or Yveltal decks, but they will obviously have to adapt to this. What do you guys think these decks will add in or change to keep the consistency that they are so well known for? Personally, I see these decks running a higher count of Yveltal 78/141. His Oblivion Wing attack acts similar to Dark Patch, however it is your attack for the turn, so you can use it only once a turn apposed to the multiple times you can use Dark Patch, but the Darkness energy can go to any benched Pokemon not just Dark types. I also see Energy Switch be a must have 4 of line in all Darkrai and Yveltal deck since this is the most space effective way for them to conserve energy, and it also allows Yveltal EX to pull off some big plays by surprise. One could argue for Hydreigon since it's ability is essentially an infinite energy switch for Darkness energy, but at the end of the day, it's too clunky and relying on setting up a Stage 2 every game just to conserve energy is risky, apposed to using 4 item cards. Also, I see Dowsing Machine finally being the dominant Ace Spec over Computer Search in Darkrai decks now. Without Sableye, Darkrai can't afford to leave out Dowsing Machine anymore. Finally, I can see Shadow Circle being the preferred Stadium choice over Frozen City or Virbank in every Dark deck since it negates the weakness of your Dark types, which will be CRUCIAL in this format with Fighting types receiving such a big boon, not to mention it combats Training Center and Fighting Stadium, both of which are no help to Darkrai, especially the latter. Well, that about covers my insights, but I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Thood out. Peace!

The Darkrai I remember could do 140 in one turn with Night Spear, Dark Claw, HTL, Virbank, and then next turn, it could Catcher up the EX you did 30 to and take 4 prizes (ideally of course). Now, T2 Darkrai's are a lot more difficult to pull off cause no Dark Patch. The deck has a crippling double Weakness (Darkrai's Fighting Weakness and Yveltal's Raichu Lightning Weakness) that it has to run Shadow Circle over Virbank meaning it can't pull off those crazy numbers. And even the Stadium doesn't offer ideal protection because that just means your opponent has to get one more card for an easy KO. Darkrai has been able to survive the Fighting type this long because it's always had answers for it. It's always had Tornadus EX as a potential partner. For the longest time there was Eviolite so that Darkrai could survive a boosted Retaliate, but then with Plasma Storm, Darkrai could afford to play Dark Claw over Virbank because Darkrai could OHKO Terrakion and WITHOUT triggering Retaliate's damage boost. But now that it doesn't even have Dark Patch, I don't even know what makes it stand out from all the other sub par EX's we've had. Remember Entei EX? He did 90 for RRC + Energy acceleration from the discard. And let's not forget Cresselia EX doing 90 and preventing Mewtwo's from revenge KO'ing it. Sure Darkrai has a nice Ability going for it, but there's always Float Stone, Fairy Garden, Keldeo, Switch, etc. I don't think Darkrai is going to see much play any more. It just doesn't have anything really going for it. Yveltal maybe. There's always Fairies I guess. I think some people will still play straight Yveltal and-or Yveltal/Garbodor, but loosing Dark Patch obviously doesn't do it any favors.

I could see a legendary deck consisting of Xerneas XY, Yveltal XY, Yveltal EX, Darkrai EX, and Aromatisse.

I'm more inclined to say that Yveltal/Darkrai will run four Ultra Ball, go crazy discarding Darkness Energy, and have baby Yveltal pick 'em back up for the Bench. Dark Patch being gone is going to hurt, but I don't see the potential of this deck falling too far. Yveltal is still incredibly powerful, but it's just going to be slowed down a bit.

Darkrai's Saving Grace and the New Three-way Deadlock

So with these first scan we have received for Phantom's Gate, Gengar EX and Mega Gengar EX are revealed. When Paired up with Dimensional Valley, both cards are quite impressive, and they also brag being Physic type cards, which is extremely important with how popular fighting decks are becoming with the release of Furious Fist. Gengar EX and Mega Gengar EX already look like they could be good counters to Lucario EX and Mega Lucario EX, as both are weak to Psychic. Also, since the mascot for Phantom's Gate is Mega Gengar, one can assume there will be more Psychic type cards in the set. On another note, Gengar EX and Mega Gengar EX are both weak to Dark types, as will be most other Ghost/Psychic types revealed in this set. This gives us a new Deadlock between Dark type decks, Fighting decks, and the future Psychic decks. This is all based off of a couple scans however, and the set may turn out completely different, but I believe that this is how the Meta will soon be shifting. I also find it funny that everytime Darkrai is about to be considered "dead," something has always appeared to save it (Long Live Darkrai!). Anyways, I'd like to hear anything you all have to think about this.
Peace!

RE: Yveltal / Darkrai in the New Format

I also beieve that Darkness deck will remain in format as competitive decks. The focus already shifted from Darkrai to Yveltal which will remain as the main focus but 1-2 tech Darkai do benefit the deck since it allows the black birds to flock in hordes and conserve resources. Also remember that [F] decks reduce the electric threat and Phantom Gates will come out with some real usable Ghosts weak to Darkness. To me it looks like Pokémon tries to make deck choices more dependent on the local metagame.

Zoroark and Energy Switch. Running this deck with only BCR-on cards is the most consistent deck I've played so far.

SpaceCowboy said:
What are some good options to replace sableye and dark patch with now?
IMHO, nothing can really actually "replace" either Sableye or Dark Patch. But, given the rotation, one needs to make some adjustments in order to maintain a competitive Dark deck.

For me, Yveltal EX has taken the main attacker role and there may only be 1 Darkrai EX in the deck to provide free retreat capability. I also run more Yveltal too as a result of the rotation. More Energy Switch cards were also incorporated; these have proven quite useful too. (THood, I believe, mentioned these same changes too.) Without a significant Darkrai EX, Sableye and Dark Patch presence, there is more room for techs whether Garbodor, Pyroar, etc.

Honestly, I don't think straight Yveltal/Darkrai variants are going to be that competitive anymore. They lack the speed that made them so powerful in the past. Yveltal might find a home in some kind of Fairy-Trans deck, however.

I just hope Phantom's gate brings out a good dark type tech, maybe an absol or something like that.

One thing I need to say up front: I started playing my first competitive deck February 2014, with a weirdo budget Deoxys/Klinklang/Cobalion deck. Then I came to love Yveltal Garbodor after XY came out. Back then I thought that rotation was a few months before worlds and boy, was I off. So I have been playing Yveltal/Garbodor without Sableye and Dark Patch for all this time because I didn't want to drop $30 or more on a few uncommon cards that I would only use for like a couple months.

The funny thing is,
bZksodi.png

That's right, the deck is still pretty good and I even won my third LC with it (granted I did play half plasma decks and had two silver mirrors). Some things that you absolutely need are 4 DCE, 4 Muscle Band, 4 HTL, and 2-3 Yveltal. I have also always played it with only 2 YveltalEX and a MewtwoEX, which is fine because after your one or two Yveltals go down, there's only prizes for these EXs. Also one Darkrai because it speeds you up a bit when Garbodor isn't needed. I have played my friend's Kangaskhan deck and actually got a 1HKO on the mega kanga, but that was kinda lucky. :p Yveltal is still awesome. The only thing you can never replace is Sableye.

#IDitchedDarkPatchBeforeItWasCool

The Future of Yveltal in BCR-ON

Hi there guys!

I've been playing Yveltal/Garbodor since XY came out (lucky 2 Yveltal Ex on the pre-release made it easier), and I've been wondering about its future without Dark Patch and Sableye. Personally, Sableye will not be the card that worries me the most, since I was only playing one, and rarely using it (and when I used it was mostly to get Dark Patches, which are now gone). Dark Patch on the other hand cuts the speed of this deck in half.

The obvious choice is to use Yveltal XY to accelerate energy, it is not the same for sure but it works pretty well. You're dealing less damage with Yveltal EX because you don't have Dark Patch to put lots of energy on it, but you're compensating for it with the damage you deal with Yveltal XY. Also, the use of Y Cyclone becomes more frequent to conserve energy on the field.

Energy Switch becomes very useful for big plays and Darkrai EX becomes almost obsolete because 3 energies on a deck without Dark Patch takes away the One turn powered Darkrai EX.

Another thing is Garbodor. Is he worth using on the new format? This card takes usually 7 spots of the deck ( 2-2 Garbodor line + 3 Float Stones), and gives little space to techs like Raichu XY or the new Beartic from Furious Fists.

What are your thoughts on Yveltal for the next format? I think discussion on this subject is missing on this forum.

The Hydreigon that was leaked from the next set could be a decent substitute for dark patch, assuming the abilitys can be stacked. Yveltal EX is still one of the best attackers in the game if not the best attacker so it will still be played and I personally think dark decks will still be powerful and could still place at tournaments.

Back