XY Your Shiny Hunts

Hello everyone I'm new here so I may not do everything correct.
I love hunting for shinies my hunts are short a lot of the time sometimes long (maractus)
I don't even have a shiny charm yet but I really want one for those long hunts.

The worst thing I will never forgive myself for is accidently running from two shinies in a row with my volume down and looked at them the last second. (Jigglypuff and Togepi).

Shinyhunterpanda said:
Hello everyone I'm new here so I may not do everything correct.
I love hunting for shinies my hunts are short a lot of the time sometimes long (maractus)
I don't even have a shiny charm yet but I really want one for those long hunts.

The worst thing I will never forgive myself for is accidently running from two shinies in a row with my volume down and looked at them the last second. (Jigglypuff and Togepi).

welcome to Pokebeach :)

If you don't have the shiny charm I recommend getting it with the GTS trades- put a legendary on the GTS for another legendary and keep trading the traded legendary for another one until you have them all - it might take long but you will be surprise how fast you will get many legendary even in just a few days. then you also have the wonder trade to get Pokemon that normally cannot be found in Kalos like Koffing -breed many of them and put them in the GTS for another Pokemon that cannot be found. then just ask for the rest of Pokemon you don't have.

Shinyhunterpanda said:
Thanks, I mostly need the legendaries and a few pokemon evolved with certain items.

If you need help rounding out the National Dex, I offer a free completion service.

6 and a half boxes in for scatterbugs, and nothing. I'm about ready to give up. What method would be the best for getting a shiny scatterbug? Should I stick with medusa methoding? Try the impossible chaining method? Get someone's Vivillion safari?

Reggie McGigas said:
6 and a half boxes in for scatterbugs, and nothing. I'm about ready to give up. What method would be the best for getting a shiny scatterbug? Should I stick with medusa methoding? Try the unreliable chaining method? Get someone's Vivillion safari?

Depends on your preference and what you're looking for. Masuda breeding is best if you're trying for a competitive shiny, as it lets you optimize IV's, moves, ability, and nature. However the downside is that you're in for a long, hard slog to get your shiny. (unless you're very lucky)

Radar chaining is a relatively short path to your shiny, and allows you to pick your species, and with a synchronizer allows you to pick (somewhat reliably) the nature, but its easy to break the chain and requires a lot of attention devoted to maintaining the chain and is relatively frustrating to get right.

The Friend Safari has a better-than-normal shiny chance, and allows you to use a synchronizer to try for the right nature (however it isn't reliable). The downsides being that there are two other Pokémon in the same Safari that you might get instead (this has happened to me, I was trying for a Shiny Lapras and I got a shiny Sneasel and Snover instead of a Lapras) and you might get the wrong ability and be unable to change it since it could be their hidden ability. Case in point: my shiny Snover has its HA Soundproof rather than Snow Warning.

So, in the end what do you want? A competitive Vivillon, or one you just want for the shiny-ness? If its the former, then I definitely recommend the Masuda method. If its the latter... I'd recommend the Friend Safari, because even if you miss the target shiny, you can still get a shiny Pokémon.

Galaxy Hunter said:
Reggie McGigas said:
6 and a half boxes in for scatterbugs, and nothing. I'm about ready to give up. What method would be the best for getting a shiny scatterbug? Should I stick with medusa methoding? Try the unreliable chaining method? Get someone's Vivillion safari?

Depends on your preference and what you're looking for. Masuda breeding is best if you're trying for a competitive shiny, as it lets you optimize IV's, moves, ability, and nature. However the downside is that you're in for a long, hard slog to get your shiny. (unless you're very lucky)

Radar chaining is a relatively short path to your shiny, and allows you to pick your species, and with a synchronizer allows you to pick (somewhat reliably) the nature, but its easy to break the chain and requires a lot of attention devoted to maintaining the chain and is relatively frustrating to get right.

The Friend Safari has a better-than-normal shiny chance, and allows you to use a synchronizer to try for the right nature (however it isn't reliable). The downsides being that there are two other Pokémon in the same Safari that you might get instead (this has happened to me, I was trying for a Shiny Lapras and I got a shiny Sneasel and Snover instead of a Lapras) and you might get the wrong ability and be unable to change it since it could be their hidden ability. Case in point: my shiny Snover has its HA Soundproof rather than Snow Warning.

So, in the end what do you want? A competitive Vivillon, or one you just want for the shiny-ness? If its the former, then I definitely recommend the Masuda method. If its the latter... I'd recommend the Friend Safari, because even if you miss the target shiny, you can still get a shiny Pokémon.

Vivillon is one of the only bug Pokémon I like and I was hoping to get a shiny of it. I guess I'm with the latter, just for shiny-ness. However, I have a friend safari that has Vivillon as its third Pokémon (it's iSharnigan's) However, not even a regular Vivillon showed up after 25 RE's. His trainer icon shows, so we've met in the game before, but Vivillon doesn't show up (the icon in the friend safari index in the game doesn't show up either)

Reggie McGigas said:
Galaxy Hunter said:

Vivillon is one of the only bug Pokémon I like and I was hoping to get a shiny of it. I guess I'm with the latter, just for shiny-ness. However, I have a friend safari that has Vivillon as its third Pokémon (it's iSharnigan's) However, not even a regular Vivillon showed up after 25 RE's. His trainer icon shows, so we've met in the game before, but Vivillon doesn't show up (the icon in the friend safari index in the game doesn't show up either)

Well, as long as he's been online with you at the same time you should be able to find it. And there's a glitch where Vivillon doesn't show up in the safari selection screen, so even if the third slot is a PokéBall symbol you can still find it. I guess you were just unlucky with finding it the first time. My advice is to grab a synchronizer if you want, a Gallade with Hypnosis and False Swipe, a ton of Net balls, and head into the safari to start looking.

The Pokeball icon doesn't show up in the third slot (it's supposed to be vivillon)

100 RE's, no Vivillon. Mind Blown.

Maybe it's because I met him on my Y version (which I lost), but not on my X (which I'm playing now)

Well, as long as he's been online with you at the same time you should be able to find it. And there's a glitch where Vivillon doesn't show up in the safari selection screen, so even if the third slot is a PokéBall symbol you can still find it. I guess you were just unlucky with finding it the first time. My advice is to grab a synchronizer if you want, a Gallade with Hypnosis and False Swipe, a ton of Net balls, and head into the safari to start looking.

Edit: Whelp back to Madusa Methoding. I'm going to release all my boxes of Scatterbug (188 Scatterbug o_O) and start over. This time I'll just get a bunch of eggs, store them, and mass hatch.

Reggie McGigas said:
The Pokeball icon doesn't show up in the third slot (it's supposed to be vivillon)

Maybe it's because I met him on my Y version (which I lost), but not on my X (which I'm playing now)

Oh, yeah. If there's no PokéBall in the third slot then that Pokémon isn't available yet. You'll have to have him get online with you in order to unlock Vivillon. Sorry.

Anyways, good luck on your shiny hunt! Mine's not going so well; I will never soft reset hunt for a Shiny Legendary again.

Galaxy Hunter said:
Reggie McGigas said:

Oh, yeah. If there's no PokéBall in the third slot then that Pokémon isn't available yet. You'll have to have him get online with you in order to unlock Vivillon. Sorry.

Anyways, good luck on your shiny hunt! Mine's not going so well; I will never soft reset hunt for a Shiny Legendary again.

I've SR'd only twice - Virizion (51 SRs, pretty lucky), and Coballion (gave up after 800 SRs). My friend also SR'd for a Regirock and got it in his 6th or 7th encounter! I got pretty lucky with SR'ing but I'm sure that it wouldn't happen again :p

It took me 3 days, (8 hours game time) to get a shiny Scatterbug without screwing up my chain in Santalune Forest.

It was very frustrating.

I am currently srring for coballion three months later I still dont see him shine I'm still sring for him even though he is reluctant to do so. It seems my luck with sring is bad. Good luck with your hunts for shiny scatterbug and shiny lapras.

I found a shiny slowpoke in a horde. I was originally looking for a female exeggcute with its hidden ability. The slowpoke brings my grand total of shiny pokemon in (Gen 6) to 3.

Shinyhunterpanda said:
I am currently srring for coballion three months later I still dont see him shine I'm still sring for him even though he is reluctant to do so. It seems my luck with sring is bad. Good luck with your hunts for shiny scatterbug and shiny lapras.

3 months o_O

I couldn't fathom waiting 3 weeks much less 3 months. Props to you sir.

Update - 10 boxes and no shiny Scatterbug. I've decideded to call it for day 2.

Is there any tatics to use for Madusa Methoding? Like saving up a box full of eggs and hatching them at once? Hatching ASAP?

My prediction is going to be at box 14, and that it will have a Modest nature

I've also gone back and tried chaining in both areas Scatterbug can be found, my best chain was 14 :p

Reggie McGigas said:
Shinyhunterpanda said:

3 months o_O

I couldn't fathom waiting 3 weeks much less 3 months. Props to you sir.

Is there any tatics to use for Madusa Methoding? Like saving up a box full of eggs and hatching them at once? Hatching ASAP?

My prediction is going to be at box 14, and that it will have a Modest nature

I've also gone back and tried chaining in both areas Scatterbug can be found, my best chain was 14 :p

I would build up a reserve of about 3-5 boxes worth of eggs, then hatch them all at once at Lumiose, record the number, then release. That way you don't have too many surplus if you get lucky early on. And trust me. Releasing in chunks of 3-5 boxes is far easier than just saving everything up till the end and then releasing everything.

Reggie McGigas said:

What I like to do is fill one whole box and then you party (so collect 35 eggs, with a pokemon that has flame body at the head of your party), fly to lumiose, go to the center, spam hatching power 3, and repeat.

I hatch 35 eggs at a time so that if I'm lucky and hatch a siny early in the batch, I don't have an overwhelming amount of eggs to hatch.

I just got my first shiny today, a Solosis. I found it in Glittering Cave at leve 22 with magic gaurd and sassy nature during my X wedlocke. I was grinding my Quilladin for Korrina when I found it, but sadly my Quilladin died during the fight.

I finally got the shiny charm I have officially completed the game now. Its time to kick my maractus and cobalion hunts into full throttle.

Yass! Got a shiny Starly after 496 eggs :D Soo happy! Named it Cornflower, after the blue part on shiny Staraptor :D
And btw shiny Starly is sooo brown, it's unbelievable! :3

How's you Scatterbug hunt going Reggie? :)

Back