Your Greatest Fears & Phobias

WASPS!

These parasites are just too scary for me to stay still. I mean, these are very dangerous insects that will retaliate if you try to kill them. And what's worse is, they can nest on your own home attic.

I have so many fears.
Bugs and reptiles- I hate the look and feel of them.
My mom, dad, brother, grandma and granny dying- I had an awful dream when I was a kid that my house was burning down and I was the only one who made it out alive and I was the one who accidentally started the fire.
Being alone- I hate being left out.
Being under judgement- Judgement as in every little thing being critiqued, even things I can't control.
Heights- I can always imagine myself falling off.
Being locked in a place with no way out- Basically just being unable to escape
Being out of control- I hate that. I like to have a bit of control of what is happening but to be in 100% uncontrollable conditions, it's super scary.
Tight spaces- This is because of my weight. I'm afraid I won't be able to get out. But it's more minor than extreme.
Rollercoasters- I can stand some, like Spiderman and Popeye at Universal, but things where they're extremely fast and have falls and go upside-down... I cry when I'm on those.
Clowns- Once at church when I was little, for some reason they brought these preachers that went around as clowns alot. One of them got super close to my face. I was sooo scared. I clung to my granny when it happenned and decided clowns=bad.
And that's pretty much all of them. I have more but they're super minor.

RE: Your Greatest Fears and Phobias.

Axell Starr said:
I have a horrible fear of the dark. Like leave-the-door-open-so-light-from-the-next-room-over-can-shine-in fear, or still-uses-a-nightlight-though-past-the-age-of-20 level of fear. I start hallucinating big time if I'm outside too long in the dark (about 15 - 20 minutes). Full on seeing/hearing things that aren't really there type thing.

I've experienced the same as well ;-; I really hate being in the dark. It makes me feel really uncomfortable for some reason.

You know, I have no idea what I think might pop up but it's just the feeling that makes me just want to put a light on.

Also... Clowns. Those creepy bastards have been haunting me ever since I saw Stephen King's It.

RE: Your Greatest Fears and Phobias.

Pineapple X said:
I've experienced the same as well ;-; I really hate being in the dark. It makes me feel really uncomfortable for some reason.

You know, I have no idea what I think might pop up but it's just the feeling that makes me just want to put a light on.

If I'm home and I start freaking out in the dark, I have to close my eyes and find my sandles, make my way to the lamp, and find the on switch to it all with my eyes closed.

If I know I'm in a dark area, but don't see it, it helps me not freak out merely as much. If it's currently visible to me, I freak out more and most likely be too chicken to look up from under my blanket until someone comes into the room. How did I make it to being 22?

I'm scared of space and oceans because of how vast they are, and anything could be there. Also, there are tons of freaky destructive things flying through space right now that would destroy the Earth if they hit, and there's nothing anyone could do about it. That's another thing I'm scared of, natural disasters or unstoppable destruction like that. Hurricanes, tornadoes, bombings... There's just nothing you can do once they happen. Also, I have a kind of silly one here, but baseballs and softballs (moving at high speeds of course). If I don't have a glove to catch them with I will almost uncontrollably head in the other direction, because these are little flying balls of pain. They will find a way to my face if I do not move myself, I'm pretty sure. Also, the fact that I got nailed in the face earlier this year doesn't help. I'm not a fan of bugs or spiders or heights either, but those aren't quite as bad.

While this isn't exactly a fear, I hate being around lots of people. I always feel weird and out of place. Though, if I'm in a public place where there should be people and it's deserted that's really creepy.

Using the phone. Yep, I call that scary >.>'
I used to do it all the time, but then someone randomly started shouting at me and I guess 8-year old me totally freaked out.

Oh, and fireworks. And balloons. Just anything capable of exploding in your face. I know they make that sound, but I'm never prepared. The worst thing is, I don't immediately 'feel' the shock of being surprised. It's like '1...2...3....wait for it...DAMN, YOU SCARED ME'.

I'm fine with spiders, darkness (I like walking in the dark on my own..) or anything else. Just don't put me on a stage with people all around me. Holding balloons

I'm not scared of much anything, particularly not any physical phenomena. The one fear I can concretely identify is memory loss, be it my own or that of those close to me. I find it absolutely terrifying when I am the only person who remembers something. Especially dealing with one-on-one conversations, if I'm the only person who remembers an event, or something that was said, it is almost like it never existed. I am the only one who knows that it happened and that baron memory remains in my head to rot.

Cockroaches. Not the small, invisible type. The big, brown or black, sometimes winged type. The rest of the world is no big deal. But cockroaches scare and disgust me to the point I can't even kill them.

The thing that frightens me most... a game... on PS1, GB, and SDC... Nobody can guess... y'know, it's not scary at all, I'm just making it seem like that. Though, I'm still not going to say it's name. It's bad for morale...

I have two phobias: dogs and getting in trouble with authority figures.

I used to be so afraid of dogs that I once ran into the road while cars were moving to avoid a small, almost definitely harmless dog that was on a leash. I say "used to" because I'm better now. I can be around dogs as long as they don't or can't come within a certain distance of me.

I'm afraid to voice disagreement with anyone who has power over me. I'm always afraid that if I fail or do/say anything they don't like, I'll face punishment. On the Internet, that goes for moderators and admins too. I don't want to get banned, spanked, grounded, screamed at, expelled, imprisoned, or executed so I'm extremely careful about what I say and do and always keep a serious demeanor around parents, teachers, police officers, etc. Most people seem to not fear these things at all. I've heard people say that there's nothing scary about jail or prison...those would be torture for me.

Video game glitches can be pretty terrifying. I'm talking about the ones which you don't intentionally trigger, the ones that sneak into your little universe of order and rip it apart at the pixels. Seems kind of silly, but they really do hit a lot of our primal fears: Challenging our sense of security, unpredictable and erratic, and impossible to understand.

bacon said:
Video game glitches can be pretty terrifying. I'm talking about the ones which you don't intentionally trigger, the ones that sneak into your little universe of order and rip it apart at the pixels. Seems kind of silly, but they really do hit a lot of our primal fears: Challenging our sense of security, unpredictable and erratic, and impossible to understand.

I agree. Once I read about the certain Pokemon glitches, I had nightmares about them!

bacon said:

I was playing Pokemon Gold (I think) as a kid once and I just went into the grass and a wild battle triggered. I don't even remember what appeared, but I have just have memories of it looking like a scary pixelated blob and having some disturbing cry. I swear I did nothing to trigger it and I don't remember it being anything like a missingno, not that I knew about missingno when I was that young. The memory is so blurry that I almost think it was a dream, but I still remember it making me turn off my game, very confused and slightly disturbed.

Aside from that, I hate wasps. They're scary man. Hornets, too. Basically that whole family except for bees, who I still keep my distance from, but I can't forget how killer bees or Africanized bees are even worse than wasps. I don't know what it is. I've never been stung, but I'm sure it hurts and wasps especially just look terrifying to me. They make me so uncomfortable. Their eyes look scary and mean, they're all bright and pointy looking everywhere, and they fly all over the place. I hate big insects that fly, I don't feel like I can securely separate myself from them like I can with a terrestrial spider. I'm actually ok with spiders unless they're large and in my room.

RE: Your greatest fears and phobias.

Athena said:
This will probably sound weird, but I have a legitimate phobia of plants, botanophobia. Specific things that set me off are thick stems, long stamen of flowers, visible growth, drooping heads of flowers, very large flowers, and touching plants of any kinds. I hate walking barefoot through grass and the bouquet for my wedding had more ribbons than flowers to stop my hands from having to touch the stems. Some plants are worse than others; flowers are generally the worst, though I've grown accustomed to some common ones (daisies and roses are cool for limited time periods) and useful ones (I can tolerate aloe enough to break off a bit to use in case of burns). Oddly enough, some of the "weirder" plants are also ones that I am okay with; cacti are cool, and so are venus fly traps. I still prefer no plants at all, though; we have fake ones on our windowsill.

I have minor botanophobia, the main reason being my extremely bad hayfever. I refuse to take my glasses (that guard my eyes from pollen) off when I am outside, and am really paranoid about it.

I'm TERRIFIED of jumping into the water (I don't know how to dive and I don't want to). I do love swimming in the deep end, however. My swing teacher says it's weird- I can breathe out perfectly, I can swim perfectly, I can go to the surface without holding on to a wall, but I refuse to jump. I don't even have a reason. So I guess you could call it a sort of aquaphobia, though I love water and don't fear it I only fear jumping/diving/falling into it.

Size and scale both fascinates and terrifies me. I'm always interested in the concept of vastness in real life such as space and in fantasy fiction. Ash Lake is my favourite area in Dark Souls because of this but it also freaks me out. Space scares me because of its infinite amount of nothingness but what little happens comparatively is so spectacular. I suppose it's opposite to vertigo, I honestly get nervous when looking up towards large buildings.

Scale and vastness is powerful and intimidating. You don't need dark hallways to create a feeling of uneasiness.

Okay guys.. I generally don't get scared, this will sound weird though.. But flying animals creep the heck out of me! I go outside because I have a large backyard, and then a bird suddenly swoops into the air, and almost collides right into my head if not for the Bird and I dodging at just the right moment. Then, I go to a graveyard to pay respects.. This huge bird ends up flying toward me, I don't move much and I think "It knows I'm here, it's more afraid of me than I am of it, it won't hit me..." Everything everyone tells me to calm my fear of flying animals. But it doesn't stop and comes so unbearably close, that I have to move and then it flys away, not after..

I go into my study where I like to write on my laptop, print stuff, watch television, etc. But, one day I'm looking for something and I turn my head the other way to the various wall-shelves and a bird swoops out right past my head, and flies all around the house, and I, with the help of my family, have to try and get the poor Bird out...while I'm Scared Aristocrat for that day!

And it doesn't stop there! After a while, I think I'm good. No flying birds have invaded my house, none targeting me.. My fear is slowly fading. But I hear a strange scratching in the living room. Well, I casually look up some anime to watch, and a bat comes out behind the cabinet and swoops right for my head, and I run for it! I run into the next room, close the door, and then the task becomes.. Letting the Bat out of the House.

Well, we do. And after a while, I think the living room is safe.. So I start typing to a few friends on the laptop, saying that I feel safe now inside my house. A Bat then flies out once more and the whole situation repeats itself. We searched the house everywhere to find the bats this time around, but nothing. So, we go eventually go outside and try to see where they are coming from.. We look up into the chimney, and bats emerge flying out one by one. Each swooping down in my direction, as if they were using my head as target practice! I took cover of course under the porch (the door to the house was locked, and I without a key), and my Mother counted a total of 89 Bats emerging from the chimney.. (Not one swoops near her, but right for me after I move around the front yard so I won't get hit? Coincidence? I think not!)

Never have I now known the ominous, fearsome symbol that is Bats. The ominous man known as "Batman". And the horrible, horrible mistake of going into a cave full of Zubats. Don't do it! Too many Zubats will make you absolutely batty! Batty, I tell you!!! :(

If it helps you to understand my irrational fear: When I was little, I once saw the trailer for "The Birds" Horror Movie. I would never be the same..

I am going to bring up a fear, I don't think has been mentioned.

Failure: My number 1 fear is failure, I always give myself unachievable goals then when I don't reach them, I blame myself. This is what happens, when you overachieve at school, then decide to pursue a non academic career (I'm a chef) plus have parents who expect a lot.

I fear, I will wake up at the age of 40 with no kids, no wife and working in a crappy chain restaurant cooking pre prepared food. I have so many dreams, I am afraid I won't achieve them.

I have a fear of large structures, such as skyscrapers or large ships in the ocean. I just fear that they will fall or collapse while I'm either inside them or next to them. I have a hard time trusting these structures, they just seem way to wobbly.

I have a large fear of bees / wasps. I've never been stung, but I'm afraid anyway. I have no idea if I'm allergic and would rather not find out.

Back