Your Greatest Fears & Phobias

I have a couple of minor phobias, but nothing too extreme.

Heights: This was a childhood fear created at my elementary school, but I got over this fear with relative ease.
Blood: Eh, I think this is moreso me being squeamish at times; I just can't stand looking at blood.
Bells: Another childhood fear created by my house and my grandparents house. My grandparents had a clock that chimed every 15 minutes and the tune is just engraved into my mind, it was also the same tune my parents had for our doorbell, although a little shorter. It's the godfather of earworms for me and especially when I'm sleeping I'll just hear that evil chime.

I've been pretty fearful of heights, but I'm getting over that, but I have a huge fear of 'water anything higher than my height', so I'm basically afraid of drowning. Combine heights and oceans, I have to read/close my eyes when crossing a long bridge (i.e. >5 metres).

My biggest fear of all time is Spiders. They just freak the hell out of me, especially the big hairy things like Huntsmans and Tarantulas. I won't even dare to go in a house that has one of those things in it. I once watched the movie 'Arachnophobia'... And lets say, I didn't sleep for a about a month, I swear I could fell huge hairy spiders crawling though my bed.... Eeek! And yes I hate the Pokemon Ariados and Garvantula.
Needles is another huge fear of mine, even seeing one tv makes me shiver. I have missed out on most of the vaccinations I was supposed to get because of this fear. If someone came over to me with a needle I would probably kick the crap out of them, I almost done that at the school vaccination day., luckily the Principle wrang up my mum and she came and told the nurses to forget about giving me the needle. Phew, Thanks mum!
I also have a Phobia of clowns and Dolls. I mostly got this fear from reading stories on the internet, but mum also told me this freaky story about when she was little, she was staying at someones house and the room she was in had this old porcelain doll in it and apparently she saw it turn it's head to look at her.... Creepy.
I have other smaller fears like death, but those or the major ones.

I have a phobia of sharp or pointed objects being near/facing me. One time I was in a theatre class doing a scene with a group, and I flinched and stepped back when one of my group members who was near me had a plastic fork which she had playfully poked someone else in the group with. Another time when I was in middle school, someone kept trying to poke me with a pen and wouldn't stop after I expressed clear discomfort, so my fight-or-flight response activated and I choked him.

I also have a severe fear of trying new foods. Off course it's not that bad, but my twin and I can't stand any unfamiliar food. We also start to shake. The list goes on of foods we dislike: Hamburgers, Tomatoes, Celery, Many meats. And we also can't stand sandwiches with many ingredients. Every time we go to a restaurant, we always have the same meal all over again: Chicken nuggets and chips - and we're not even kids.

I also have a great fear of what people think of me. I know I'm facing terrible judgement every time people look at me. I know that people are thinking wrong of me, and I can't help fearing of getting a bad mark on my test, since everyone will think "The very smart twins got a B or under? IMPOSSIBLE!"

But I think my biggest fear is punishment. Even a little note in my school diary seems like prison to me. I know I have to be good, otherwise I'll get into big trouble - and though I love everybody on this planet, I'm sometimes scared around strict people. Deep down I know even when people do something wrong and they don't get into trouble; I know that when I do it I'll be the one who will get caught.

I absolutely love insects and reptiles, though I have a phobia of people harming animals, especially reptiles. When people mention the word 'gun' or killing an animal, I feel the fire burning inside me and I want to retaliate, but I won't since I don't have the heart to.

I just don't get people being afraid of death. i'm sorry for being intolerant, but can someone explain in more detail why death is frightening?
(i'm talking about dying yourself, not other people dying.)

Omega Soul said:
I just don't get people being afraid of death. i'm sorry for being intolerant, but can someone explain in more detail why death is frightening?
(i'm talking about dying yourself, not other people dying.)

For me, it's not so much death as it is the pain that accompanies an early one.
I have no problem with dying naturally. It's the knife through the chest, shark attack, and sniper deaths that freak me out.

Or you can be like me and not believe in an afterlife, so the thought of not existing is pretty scary.

Cinesra said:
Or you can be like me and not believe in an afterlife, so the thought of not existing is pretty scary.

I don't belive in an afterlife either. I just accept the fact that everyone dies.

I've accepted that it's inevitable, but it still sounds like the worst thing that can happen and I'd really like to avoid it.

Cinesra said:
I've accepted that it's inevitable, but it still sounds like the worst thing that can happen and I'd really like to avoid it.

It's a shame people destroy other people for the fun of it...

This isn't a thread to discuss death people... That's an interesting topic, but here, it's off-topic. Please get back in line.

I don't believe that people die (basically, I believe this planet is an illusion and when our earth bodies stop functioning, we wake up and go back home, which isn't like Heaven, Hell, etc.; it's not involved with religion and it's not an afterlife because it's the actual real world but this isn't the thread for that so moving on) but when I did, death was one of my biggest fears. I didn't want to just stop existing and never again be able to taste food, go to social gatherings with friends, play games, listen to music, etc.

I'm terrified of whale sharks. Normal sharks? Wouldn't want to encounter one in open water but otherwise, meh. Wale sharks though.. I live no where near the ocean and I know they're supposed to be "gentle giants" but I can't help but get a little freaked out seeing them on TV or even pictures sometimes.. I'd say I have a serious phobia of whale sharks.

Scared of spiders, bees and just big bugs in general. A fly, I can kill it. Small spider? Dead. Any spider bigger than my big toe spooks me. And bees, I never gotten stung before, but paranoid I will get stung and be allergic to it.

- I love rollercoasters, but every time, that moment right before it takes off, I think that this could be my last moment on earth.
- Airplanes. Same as above, except that I don't love flying. I hate it, but it's way better than driving long distances. Right before take off and while the plane is descending I think that the worst is going to happen.
- Bedbugs. I work in the healthcare field and go into many different houses very frequently, a lot of not so great houses, so I'm always cautious of where I sit, walk, and kneel. I do not want to take these little guys home with me...
- Public speaking. Speeches and even speaking up in class always bothered me, even to the point of tears when I was a kid. I have such an anxiety about this.
- Going to parties/certain social events. I get nervous around new people or large groups of people where I'm expected to speak and socialize with others. I become at ease if I find someone who shares my interests, but otherwise I hate small talk and "getting to know you" dialogues.
- Sharks. Whenever I go into the ocean (which is not that often, as I live in Iowa) I'm paranoid about a shark attack.
- Oh, and flying, stinging insects. I've been stung by bees about a dozen times when I was younger, probably because my dad had bee boxes and I spent a lot of my time outside make believing. I still to this day freak out when I see bees or wasps. Okay, maybe not freak out, but... yeah, I get scared.

Spiders and needles.
Spiders aren't so much of a fear anymore; I stopped fearing them so much when I got Skyrim. Now I just kill them indiscriminately.
Needles are my kryptonite. It's so bad that even watching someone get injected or poked and prodded with needles is enough to give me a heart attack out of fear.

Jellyfish.
I actually got stung by one at a beach. Naturally, I freaked out and we all went home, and when we got home, the TV said, BREAKING NEWS! Jellyfish cloud swarms beach! -_0

Bedbugs and dust mites.
Ugh. I want my room to be free of tiny insect-things I can't see; is that too much to ask? What even eats them, anyway? If there's nothing then let's extinct them already.

Eyelash mites.
o_o

Cutting my wrists.
Not necessarily doing it on purpose, just those veins getting cut somehow.

Failure.
If I fail something, I feel like I'm letting all of my supporters down. :,(

Endoparasites.
Don't know what they are? Too bad. I'm not telling you. And I'd suggest not looking them up.

And my number one biggest fear is:
It's a secret to everybody.

Back