Writing Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Results posted (Congrats to all who entered on time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Sign-ups

gary182000 said:
Can I be a judge?

Sorry, but no. We already had the three judges selected beforehand from our more frequent and experienced writers here, and more would make for uneven and/or inefficient judging time.

Apollo the Incinermyn said:
gary182000 said:
Can I be a judge?

Sorry, but no. We already had the three judges selected beforehand from our more frequent and experienced writers here, and more would make for uneven and/or inefficient judging time.

Well IF I enter can I do a Haiku?

If you can divulge this infomation: Will we be given a theme, a specific rhyming/syllabic pattern, or both?

A specific rhythm scheme will serve as the primary challenge in this prompt. A secondary theme will be announced as a sort of additive, but not so strictly fixed to it as opposed to just serve as some sort of inspiration.

A specific rhythm scheme will serve as the primary challenge in this prompt. A secondary theme will be announced as a sort of additive, but not so strictly fixed to it as opposed to just serve as some sort of inspiration.

Could you please post an example?

Given what I've seen here so far, this will be one competitive contest. Is PMJ entering? I just have this feeling he could win it all. Nonetheless, wish the best of luck to all.

~AoH

gary182000 said:

Could you please post an example?

I'm still talking with the others to decide on the prompt, but for a quick example, consider this.

If the style does turn out to be "haiku" (which I highly doubt, since theymre very short and too quick to really judge the quality based on any type of set standard like we need for this competition. Also, please know that I am not writing this part to mock you, but as an actual example since I can't pull up one of my own works from my phone), then you write a haiku based on the select theme. If the accompanying theme is "nature," you write about something found in nature.

example said:
Wolves run through the woods
Proudly hunting their wounded
Prey, a youthful deer.

Hopefully that suffices. The actual prompt will likely be something signficantly longer (not extremely long, but enough to make them a bit more worth reading for the judges, hence, in part, why the deadlines are spread out a bit).

RE: Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Sign-ups (Please read rules in first post before replying!)

Are there prizes if so what?

RE: Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Sign-ups (Please read rules in first post before replying!)

TheRules said:
Note that winning this will entitle you to bragging right in your signature,
There is your prize. You don't need more than that.

Not to be rude, gary182000, but are you entering the contest or not? That's my only question right now. You've got a week to make your decision. I'll add your name to the list, but please re-read the contest rules. Most of the topics that I needed to address right now are there in black and white (and my little memo about that is in pink. The only reason it's not all in pink is that the contest announcement technically counts as an official WC update, and I'm not allowed to use color fonts here unless I'm making casual comments).

Are there prizes if so what?
The respect of other members and the satisfaction of a poem well written will be your prize.

Other than that, no.

How would you get a prize on these forums, anyway?

I'll give it a shot

I read the rules and I would like to enter and thanks.

Thank you. I don't mind answering questions when they arise, but I just thought most things at this point were self-explanatory.

Arceus Of Heaven said:
Is PMJ entering?
Actually, I thought I was judging... but since I'm not, I think I'll enter. I am bad at this kind of stuff and apparently only like 3 of you are even into poetry so who knows how I'll do. Should be fun though, in it to come in second \m/

I'd like to join!

Sorry, PMJ, that was kind of my fault. I left it open in the Writer's Haven thread for a short while there, but wasn't sure if I should've asked if you wanted to judge or not. On the off-chance, I thought for sure you'd opt out and enter anyways... My mistake...

Anyways, you're both added to the list. Not sure if I should cap entries off at some point, but the prompt release date would remain the same since I've got to work on a slightly fixed schedule anyhow...

I guess that I'll enter. I'm pretty good at writing poetry so I'll have as good as a chance as everyone else, so I'll enter it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back