Writing Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Results posted (Congrats to all who entered on time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Writing (Due next Friday before Midnight CST, NO EXCEPTIONS)

Muahaha with all the drops, this gives my crappy poem a chance!

RE: Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Writing (Due next Friday before Midnight CST, NO EXCEPTIONS)

Aww I would have really wanted to enter a poem I wrote for English II. Ah well, Best of luck to all you guys. Maybe next time I'll give it a try. Also are the public members going to be able to read the Poetry? I would like to read some of the things a few of the members have written.

I entered. Looks like I have to just type it. Then I'll be done...

I was actually kind of counting on some people to dropout, but wasn't sure who all would. PMJ was a bit of a surprise, and chellochello I wasn't completely sure on whether he'd stick this out or not (and I don't any offense to you, cc, just I wasn't sure if you could handle the somewhat high-end writings that I was expecting for this). Also, I may open this up yet to public entries before the due date comes, Ice-Master, but give me a little bit to get back to you on that.

Ice_Master said:
Aww I would have really wanted to enter a poem I wrote for English II. Ah well, Best of luck to all you guys. Maybe next time I'll give it a try. Also are the public members going to be able to read the Poetry? I would like to read some of the things a few of the members have written.
Either all the judges receive copies of all the entries, or all the entries will be posted in a public thread for all to see. Regardless of how they revealed, all entries shall be anonymous. This is to eliminate favoritism. (And, of course, no one is allowed to say which one is theirs either for the same reason.)
Last time they were posted publicly, so that might be the best solution. It'd definitely help inboxes from not being overly clogged.

Alright... Final update before I'm done for the night...

Regarding poems: After the judges have finished voting, I've decided that I will post the poems publically along with announcements as to who wrote what. Of course, these will all be a follow-up to my announcement of the winner, runner-up, and (presuming I recieve at the very least four entries total by the deadline) the second runner up. If I only get one more (on top of the two I've already received), there will just be the winner and runner-up followed by all three that were submitted. On the off-chance that I don't get anymore, I want to change this to an anonymous public vote, and thus the judges won't be needed (this is still just the worst case scenario, mind all of you, since there's still time left for people to get things in to me).

Regarding how I'll be sending these to judges: I've already started compiling the poems I've received into a single PM that I will forward to the three of you sometime Saturday (assuming I can get to my library while it's open then...if not, I'll have to hold off until Monday, though I don't think that should be the case). This way, you should all just get one PM from me that I should also still have on hand to copy-and-paste once voting's complete (via my sent messages box).

Final Call for all remaining entries! From this point on, I will not send any back for revisions if they're needed. If your work is difficult-to-read, you're going to be disqualified. I've received the minimum four I've required for judging to go on as originally planned, but I'm waiting for the rest of you who are still participating to get these in. You have until tomorrow at 11:59PM Central Standard Time to get these into my Inbox; otherwise, I'm just sending them back with a notice that you're out.

Again, once judging is finished, I'll publically announce the winner, runner-up, and second runner-up (if the judges decide on them respectively) along with the poems submitted and the usernames of the authors who wrote them.

After this contest, the next one may be slated for sometime in either July or August depending on whether The Writer's Haven decides to have another contest then. Likewise, the criteria for it is still up in the air...

RE: Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Writing (Due Friday by Midnight CST, NO EXCEPTIONS)

(Apollo can delete this post as soon as he answers this question that I just noticed)

Central Standard Time? Or Central Daylight Time? There is an hour difference between the two and I know that even though most places observe DST (and I do), some do not (e.g. Arizona).

RE: Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Writing (Due Friday by Midnight CST, NO EXCEPTIONS)

Aye, it's fine as I forget about Daylight time a lot. In any case, I'm leaving it at Standard (so people may have an extra hour to work with, right, since we're an hour ahead of Standard after now?). I'm not going to be too nitpicky at this point, but you did raise a valid point nonetheless...

RE: Writing Contest May 2011-Poetry: Judging (No more submissions accepted!)

Alright, sorry for the delay. There was a slight hold-up with the judges getting back to me and I wasn't able to get online via computer for the past couple days anyhow. In any case, the results are in, and I've tallied the judges votes based on what they gave me as their rankings for each poem (basically, taking it as the lower a poem's ranking total was, the closer to first place that poem would be)!

With a unanimous vote, Unique Username has won this contest with her poem Farewell Frost. In second place was HypnoticLuxray's Why The Depression. In third place came Guy89's Remembrance (though it didn't follow the rhyme scheme exactly as I described it, it was allowed since it was close enough and the very last poem I received before the submission deadline ended). Lastly, Aggiegwyn's Imaginative came in fourth with Shampoo-Thief's Taum Sauk coming in fifth.

I was honestly hoping for a slightly better turnout, but even so, I felt this still went over well and hopefully we'll have another poetry contest in the eventual future. Though, the next one may be short-story writing, but that's still up for discussion by us members of Writer's Haven.

In any case, congratulations to all who got their entries in! And, as promised, the poems themselves have been released for public reading and commentaries by the writers. I'll leave this thread open for at least several days or until it just stops being active.

Edit: These are in the order they were sent to the Judges. Sorry if there's any confusion...

1.) Farewell Frost (Author: Unique Username)

Waltzing snowflakes adrift a winter's kiss,
Illuminating fields of virgin purity,
Nary a thing I can do except reminisce,
Tomorrow shall cast it into obscurity.

Remembering this crystalline lace
Yields a crisp frozen dew,
Morning sunlight strives to embrace
Ethereal skies of blue.

Meadowsweet leaves lie stilted and gray,
O beloved frigidity, your death is nigh,
Remember not the beauty, harbinger of dismay,
Yesterday is a memory, to my wistful winter...goodbye.

2.) Taum Sauk (Author: shampoo-thief)

Tales around fires
All day in the lake
Under the Sun’s spires
My body was baked

Sometimes I have dreams
All of us are back there
Until I wake up, it seems
Kindness reined and all was fair.

3.) Why The Depression (Author: HypnoticLuxray)

Why has this calamity fallen upon us!
Has Germany’s revenge met its way?
You were once cheaply on the bus.
That now is just a dream up at bay.
Heed this memory, my dear child.
Entities were once always cheap.
Does that memory seem defiled?
Especially since money now makes us weep.
People cry; people sorrow.
Remember the times when money wasn’t few.
Everyone ignored the warnings of tomorrow.
Soon the world might start anew.
See the past; protect what has not yet come.
In the Roaring Twenties all was good.
On that faithful month it met a slum.
Now heal the future, as all man should.

4.) Imaginative (Author: Aggiegwyn)

In my own world playing,
Making new friends,
A whole new world waiting,
Greeting the ends,
I appear bashful, watching,
New friends are met,
A teddy bear, mocking
The new-old chalk set
I say “Don’t take me now,
Viola, says dad.
Even in the clouds,

Leaving makes me sad.

5.) Remembrance (Author: Guy89)

Return of the old
Entering my mind
My memories of mankind
Entering like an infectious cold
My time comes back to me
Believing that it is all there again
Remembering I push it to Spain
As if it were my mind’s Grand Prix
Now I have to stay in the moment
Coming with the now
Enjoyment I must disallow

UU's seemed like a sure-win to me from the beginning, but yours seemed pretty good too. I'd post the final votes for each judge, but I'd rather DNA, Zenith, and AoH make their own commentaries if they want. If we do another form poem contest in the future, I'll probably lighten up on some of the restrictions since I think some of them maybe took people too far out of their comfort zones...

Here's my commentary:

It was very hard to not be favoritist when making my decisions.

That is all.

Great job, everyone! Congratulations!

I am intrigued to know what inspired every writer to create what they did - how they fashioned their poem, and why. Did your poem harbour significant meaning to you? Was it based on a true experience or sensation?

My relationship and experience with the winter season is somewhat bittersweet. It elicits intense sorrow, and yet profound happiness. Once upon a time, I was incredibly alone. I used to discover solace in the tranquil wilderness, where its elegant beauty shunned away negative feelings. Amidst this wintry desolation, I reflected upon its loneliness and simultaneously felt connected to it. I discovered a new marvel in every shriveled leaf, a new appreciation for untouched snow. I would touch a branch, its gnarled root sheathed in glittering ice and absorb that frigid coldness. The sky was always plagued by clouds, slivers of light valiantly piercing the mist. It taught me that you can make it through the thickest problem, even if it is just a little bit.

Winter was my sanctuary, my own white garden - I miss it. I no longer have the time to appreciate its splendour, though perhaps one day...I can go back and visit.

That's a very nice poem, Unique Username, definitely the best, Hypnotic Luxray's was also great. Both of your's just flowed and made me feel happy when reading it. Congrats to all the competitors. (I was actually kind of surprised I got 3rd, I thought I would do much worse)

My commentary: I AM THE REASON RESULTS TOOK SO LONG

Also I voted for 1, 3, and 5, in that order, which is exactly what places they got. I awarded no points to 2 or 4. I HATE EVEN NUMBERS RAAAAAAGE. (Actually, I almost chose 4 above 5, but then I saw that "voila" was spelled "viola" in the tenth line. At first I thought it was intentional, but then I wasn't sure why a string instrument was involved in the poem. Maybe I missed something obvious. Also there was a quote that never ended.)

Like I said, all I did was just add the points together for each poem depending on the rankings I was given. The one with the least points between the five came in first. UU's poem had three votes for first place, and so had the least between the five. The rest were all decided based on the different votes of the judges, which were quite varied between the three. Also, I should note that I actually received AoH's votes from DNA, and I only badgered Zenith for his when DNA told me that he hadn't heard from him at all.

And my commentary:

I knew UU had won this. When I first read Farewell Frost, I knew it was UU at her finest. That kind of writing is so obvious to pick out from the crowd, it isn't even funny.

Now that that's said and done, I will applaud all others. Hypnotic Luxray and aggigwyn, your poems moved me, touched me even. Guy89, you may not have followed the regulation exactly, but you put a great deal of thought and expression into it, I can tell. shampoo-thief, well, I can just say it was a well-written poem. Nothing touched me like the others did, but you at least put forth quite a bit of effort. Calling you a veteran would be about right.

Closing that, I would like to say congratulations to all. All of you impressed me so, and I am sincere at that.

~AoH

Unique Username said:
My relationship and experience with the winter season is somewhat bittersweet. It elicits intense sorrow, and yet profound happiness. Once upon a time, I was incredibly alone. I used to discover solace in the tranquil wilderness, where its elegant beauty shunned away negative feelings. Amidst this wintry desolation, I reflected upon its loneliness and simultaneously felt connected to it. I discovered a new marvel in every shriveled leaf, a new appreciation for untouched snow. I would touch a branch, its gnarled root sheathed in glittering ice and absorb that frigid coldness. The sky was always plagued by clouds, slivers of light valiantly piercing the mist. It taught me that you can make it through the thickest problem, even if it is just a little bit.
Um, the contest is over already, and you won. You don't need to write another poem.

/me dodges projectile

Yeah, she's just curious about what others put into theirs, DNA. That's all, and there's nothing wrong with her sharing the inspiration for hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back