ORAS What New & Returning Features Do You Want in OR / AS?

I'd like something to use my play coins with >_> like... a shop maybe, or use them in a sort of vending machine for random items (I could easily see this at the Lilycove Mall).

Kitana Coldfire said:
Honestly, I kind of hope they'll introduce key item replacements for HM moves, especially since Hoenn requires 3 different water HMs just to navigate the map. For example, Scuba Gear to replace Dive, a Pickaxe for Rock Smash, or a Machete to negate the need for Cut. (I've been playing a pokemon homebrew the past few months, and I really love that aspect of the game). I'm a huge fan of what they've done in recent games with Strength, though, and I hope they keep that change in the remakes.

As for returning features, I'd love to see walking pokemon come back (with the option to choose who follows, and the option to have no follower if you so desire). I also hope they do something about the two bikes, like a gear toggle or something. Or have the rollerskates take over the function of the Mach Bike altogether (but not the Acro Bike; I miss the days of cheating the safari zone by hopping in one place all day).

Imagine a kid running around a region with scuba gear, a pickaxe, and a machete just to swim in waters full of giant hungry wild pokemon, spend hours picking through boulders, and best of all... Run around swinging a machete to cut all the grass and twigs and anything else in their way.

Kitana Coldfire said:
Honestly, I kind of hope they'll introduce key item replacements for HM moves...

All my yes. I hoped for this before X/Y came out, but obviously that didn't happen for gen 6. Most of all, I wish Cut would be banished from the games. What a useless attack. Also, for replacing Surf and Fly, all you would need is a water type or a flying type in your team and they could transport you automagically. "Hey, Pidgeot, I know you're a flying type and all, and you resist ground type moves because, well, you fly, but I need to fasten this CD-like machine to your head to really make sure you know how to fly." Dumb.

Chocolate Death said:
Kitana Coldfire said:
Honestly, I kind of hope they'll introduce key item replacements for HM moves, especially since Hoenn requires 3 different water HMs just to navigate the map. For example, Scuba Gear to replace Dive, a Pickaxe for Rock Smash, or a Machete to negate the need for Cut. (I've been playing a pokemon homebrew the past few months, and I really love that aspect of the game). I'm a huge fan of what they've done in recent games with Strength, though, and I hope they keep that change in the remakes.

Imagine a kid running around a region with scuba gear, a pickaxe, and a machete just to swim in waters full of giant hungry wild pokemon, spend hours picking through boulders, and best of all... Run around swinging a machete to cut all the grass and twigs and anything else in their way.

Heck, they were considering adding a surf replacement as early as Gen I, so I see no reason they couldn't dust off the Surfboard idea for our dear waterlogged Hoenn.

In the homebrew, they've made key items for nearly every included field move except flash, although I'm curious to see how ORAS handles the change of that particular move's function in XY. In addition, the homebrew added some new HMs to go with the lore of the game itself, as well as item replacements for the moves.

The full list of traditional field move replacements is as follows:
Strength = Dolly
Machete = Cut
Instant Lapras = Surf
Jet Pack = Waterfall
Rocket Boots = Fly
Hiking Boots = Rock Climb
Scuba Gear = Dive
Skeleton Key = Secret Power
(Personally, I think the Jet Pack and Rocket Boots functions should be switched, but that's just me.)

[And that's the last I'm going to bring up unofficial games, since I just wanted to present a practical example of HM replacements being executed well.]

I think the key, scuba gear, and hiking boots would work, but the rest seem too... out of place for pokemon. But the instant lapras... That one makes the least sense. If you're removing HM's in the field so the player has to do it themselves, then why is surf being used by some randomly appearing lapras that just happens to live in every ounce of water around the world instead of one of your own pokemon?

I never said I agreed with all the choices from the homebrew (Rocket Boots? Really?), but in those games it's described as an inflatable Lapras that you can use to cross water.

So... think of it as a life-sized floaty Lapras, like an inflatable dolphin or orca you might put in your pool. I just find that mental image adorable. (Honestly, I think they went with that idea to avoid having to make a surfing trainer overworld sprite).

The HM items are generally hidden well, or require the use of the move they replace to access.

Kitana Coldfire said:

As for returning features, I'd love to see walking pokemon come back (with the option to choose who follows, and the option to have no follower if you so desire). I also hope they do something about the two bikes, like a gear toggle or something. Or have the rollerskates take over the function of the Mach Bike altogether (but not the Acro Bike; I miss the days of cheating the safari zone by hopping in one place all day).

I think there's a good chance that none of these things would happen. HMs wouldn't have such a drastic overhaul, it's meant to demonstrate the relationship between humans and Pokemon. And even if they were going to do that, they wouldn't do it in the middle of a generation, they'd wait until next gen. I think as far as HMs go, they'll probably tweak the HM list (adding Dive back, most notably), and maybe reduce mandatory HM usage like they have since 5th gen, but that's about it.

Walking Pokemon is probably never happening again, like with the PWT, it would take significantly more work now that we've switched to 3D, but also because there's many more Pokemon than there were in HGSS (almost one and a half times as many). And they didn't even bring it back in 5th gen, when they could've merely kept the overworld sprites from HGSS and added in the 5th gen ones (which they already used for Entree Forest anyway), so I guess they have no interest in bringing it back.

As for bikes vs. roller skates, I have no idea what they're going to do there, but you picked the one thing that is least likely to happen. Roller Skates have already partially taken over the function of the Acro Bike with the grind rails functioning similarly to the rails you could hop across in the originals. So having both of them and not the Mach Bike would feel the most redundant. Aside from that, they're probably going to have Roller Skates, and they're probably going to have some kind of bike, but it's difficult to say what exactly they will do.

One of my favorite side quests in Ruby and Sapphire was the Trick Master's house. I was always really sad whenever I'd complete his last challenge and then he would vanish forever. I'd like to see more Trick Master challenges in the game, and maybe some more expansion on the Trick Master himself in some way. :)

I absolutely LOVED Secret Bases and I hope they improve on this feature as well. I wouldn't mind multiple bases, but I don't think it's a requirement. I would just be happy if they were bigger and and could hold more items. Another Hoenn staple is contests, and I really hope they can bring those back in an interesting way too. I never really cared for the Super Contests in Sinnoh. I found that my strategies for contests in Hoenn no longer worked as well in Sinnoh, and the dress up and dance segments of the contest were not very good IMO. Despite that, I was sad to see contests all but gone in the 5th Generation games as well as X and Y. Here's hoping the berry planting system from X and Y will make a return though. It was just too time consuming to have to keep watering berry plants to get an ample amount of berries. The simpler it is, the better, and I think more people will be willing to partake in contests if they can get the desired berries and Pokeblocks easier.

I also hope for more trainer customization options, or some new and different clothing at the very least, as well as additional post game content and a good amount of available Pokemon. Other than that, I am just psyched about my favorite generation of Pokemon games being remade with updated battle mechanics, a time of day system that was MIA in the originals, and hopefully some new content that no one is expecting. I will be overjoyed with these if the music has some horns too. :p

Oh, and I hope that it will launch alongside some sort of peripheral. FRLG came bundled with the wireless adapter, and HGSS had the Pokewalker. I wonder if ORAS will come with some sort of goodie?

I haven't made my list yet:

-Challenge Mode. Okay, with the games nerfing the difficulty to the point where a braindead monkey could beat it, older players need some kind of refuge from all of that crap. Challenge Mode was a good solution to the problem, but the way it was implemented in BW2 where it could only be unlocked post game or transferred locally from one version of the game made it a fairly useless addition. It needs to be universally available from the start (or at least before you beat the 1st gym), nothing less.
-PSS/Pokenav fusion. The PSS greatly increased the ability to communicate with other players, I don't expect it to be cut at all. But I don't think the Pokenav will be either, it's too integral to the game. So I think they'll probably fuse the two in some way, and probably put it all on the touch screen. Not sure how the interface would be designed. Functionality wise, they should have the Map (and add a marking feature like DPPt and HGSS), Match Call, the Friend/Acquaintance/Passerby list, O-Powers, GTS, Wonder Trade, Game Sync, Super Training, and maybe Pokemon Amie.
-Naturally, if the PSS is returning, customization needs to as well. I'm hoping for more outfits this time, or at least more color options. Also, more hairstyles for the boys.
-Roller Skates. As annoying as it is to control, the ability to move outside of the grid is too useful for this to be removed. Not really sure how to balance this and the Bike, either they'd have the Roller Skates and both bikes, or they'd integrate the Acro Bike's features into the Roller Skates, and you'd just get the Mach Bike.
-Trick House. Solving puzzles is always fun. It's a shame you could never replay them though. Maybe this time they could have more puzzles, maybe some of them being downloadable via Spotpass, and maybe some kind of extra challenges if you replay them (like if you have to complete them within a certain time frame, or complete them without being spotted by an NPC or something).
-Contests. And like they were in 3rd gen, not any of that Super Contest crap. Maybe they could also work customization and Pokemon Amie in as well, where you can customize you and your Pokemon's outfits in the first round, and then maybe Pokeblocks would be integrated into Pokemon Amie.
-Game Corner. Okay, I know about the whole European gambling laws thing, but they need to do something about the old Game Corner building. I wouldn't mind seeing Voltorb Flip back for one, I liked that better that the slots because it was more skill based. Alternatively, they could turn it into an arcade where you have to complete mini games to earn coins (ideally free to play, otherwise it's still gambling).
-Secret Bases. This was one of the funnest side features ever made. Being able to pick a secret hideout and design it was one of the most amazing things Pokemon has ever done. Furthermore, Streetpass would improve the experience, allowing you to easily find another player's Secret Base.
-Friend Safari. This was a useful way to take advantage of the Friend List, and to distribute some extra Pokemon and Hidden Abilities to boot. Now as far as how to balance that and the normal Safari Zone, I was thinking they would make the Expansion area a Friend Safari and then make a few tweaks to the traditional Safari Zone mechanics to accommodate. Instead of not being able to use your Pokemon at all and relying on sticks and rocks and that crap, it would work like the Bug Catching Contest, you would pick one Pokemon from your party to use, and then you can weaken it like normal and catch it with Safari Balls. Also, remove the step limit, which is annoying and unnecessary, now the only ways to get kicked out of the Safari Zone is if your Pokemon faints or if you run out of Safari Balls. The Expansion area would be accessible post game and fill up based on your Friend List.
-Battle Frontier. Bring it back, keep it the same as it was in Emerald.
-More communication features? Shockingly, for a communication based game, XY did very little with the new 3DS features such as Streetpass, Spotpass, and Play Coins. Now, I've proposed a few other ideas that would take advantage of Streetpass and Spotpass, but they might be able to get away with a few more. Join Avenue and the Trainer House would work very well with Streetpass and Spotpass. Play Coins are a bit harder, but there's probably some sort of shop that could use it.

Since AS/OR are supposedly remakes and while not being a feature per se, making a thread of its own for such a tiny thing is a waste of time and space, so I'll leave here my suggestion: feature all the "Subleaders of the Sea Scheme" and the "Three Fires" and while at it, give them different overworld sprites (it was annoying to see Shelly, Matt, Courtney and Tabitha having the same overworld look as the grunts).

Edit: bring back the damn Old and Good rods. Having to wait until the post-game in B2 to get the Super Rod was just stupid!
Let us keep challenge the Gym leaders without a limit of times and bring back the Underground to all other Gym Leaders perhaps letting the PokéNav be used to fix matches with them (not making calls like the Pkgear), namely the ones from Kalos since I have yet to play the games but I don't respect them already because of their teams and I would like that to change. Btw, don't dare to put Crasher Wake somewhere again - I hate him and I'm sick of crossing paths with that guy, both in HG & B2! -_-

Pokemon4Ever said:
One of my favorite side quests in Ruby and Sapphire was the Trick Master's house. I was always really sad whenever I'd complete his last challenge and then he would vanish forever. I'd like to see more Trick Master challenges in the game, and maybe some more expansion on the Trick Master himself in some way. :)
(...)

I subscribe this. Don't take away the Master after the last challenge.

First, I really think we need a challenge/hard mode, X/Y were underwhelming when it came to difficulty. I've always wanted to see NPCs with pokemon in the high 90s to 100.
Secondly, bring back move tutors, I was dissapointed in the move list changes in X/Y.
Also better character customization, more clothes, the option to not wear a hat, and being able to preview a hair cut before paying for it.
Oh i almost forgot, bring back the VS. Seeker or something like it, that would bring a little more post-story value to the games.

Momaster12 said:
I would like to see the following features:
- No More Mega Evolutions - Okay guys, I understand that Mega Evolutions were great and all but I doubt that they will be making a return. In the games and animé it was said that Mega Pokémon were only seen in the Kalos region. I think that has something to do with Diance or the Mysterious Tower (or whatever it was called). And iirc didn't one of the developers of XY say that Mega Evolutions were exclusive to Kalos?

Whoops

Anyway, I would like customization to come back, but with darker skin tones, and more hair and clothes options. I also want to be able to customize my own pokemon outside of contests and stuff. Or have pokemon differ slightly in height and weight dang it. I want to put a bowtie on my Sceptile so he can kick butt while looking classy.

Seven is a Color said:
Leaf_Ranger said:
Edit: bring back the damn Old and Good rods. Having to wait until the post-game in B2 to get the Super Rod was just stupid!
The Old Rod and Good Rod returned in X and Y.

Glad to hear it! :)

ORAS_Prerelease_Pok%C3%A9mon_Center.png

It seems the separate Mart and Center will make a return! YAY!

I'd like to see more butch clothes for the clothes, and like baggy/loose shirts and jeans. Then again, I'm biased on that due to that's how I dress IRL. Slso hats, I'd like more hat variety and the option to not wear one. And more hair styles.

I like to have one version male, the other female, and I want to see more hairstyles for both, especially female. For both, I wanna see curly hairstyles, and some that cover one of the eyes or something. For guys, I also wanna see one of those haircuts where it's shaved on the sides. With girls, I wanna see braids just as long as the XY twintails, a ponytail about that long, and straight long hair instead of some long that is all tied up for some reason. Another thing I'd love to see would be more formal and more summer-y/beach-y outfits.

Axell Starr said:
I'd like to see more butch clothes for the clothes, and like baggy/loose shirts and jeans. Then again, I'm biased on that due to that's how I dress IRL. Slso hats, I'd like more hat variety and the option to not wear one. And more hair styles.

And for the love of GOD let us wear the caps backwards!

New trailer has shown something:

http://imgur.com/cyOzOWa

a) Berry trees make a return and b) yellow Pokeballs on the ground are still there, presumably staying as TMs.

Back