XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

I am loving these new starters. I'm practically tied between Fennekin and Chespin... They're both really adorable. I really like Froakie as well, but I simply just like the other two better, they did a great job with all of them. When I was watching it at 5am this morning, and saw that one starter was a fennec fox, I absolutely flipped. I have always wished for a fennec fox Pokemon as they are one of my favorite animals and I got my wish, and its actually a great design. I feel that they captured the fennec fox look, especially the huge ears, nicely. (Much unlike like last time.. otters are my favorite animal and I also wanted an otter pokemon, and I was preeetty disappointed with Oshawott... the little guy did eventually grew on me though.)
Although, now, the more I look at these starters, I realize I keep finding myself staring at Chespin and how adorable it is. :p I don't wanna pick my starter just because I feel like I have to since they finally released a favorite animal, but I still love both Chespin and Fennekin. xD I think I am going to have to let the final evolutions decide this one. Is anyone else dying to know what they might look like? Im ready to see some fanart!

I have a few burning questions as well. WPM said that Ken Sugimori designed 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon, but what about 3-5, who did those? Did Ken have any involvement in the Pokemon designs, or did he just finalize the original art made by someone else? I don't know too much about the GameFreak staff.

IMO Ken should be the forever creator of Pokemon designs though... Satoshi may have created Pokemon but I honestly don't think it would have been nearly this popular if it wasn't for Kens artwork. I hope he had a lot of involvement in this generation, and as WPM said, I can see that simplicity in Fennekin as well.

Metalizard posted something in another thread about the starters looking as CascadeGonpory's work. Well, actually, back in September CG posted this to his DeviantArt account as his WATER starter:

007_hakkii_by_cascadegonpory-d5jeqp8.jpg

Hi there Fennekin!

And also the legendaries look a lot like the ones Mitja made...
What if Nintendo is using fan ideas to develop their Pokémon?! I now, I'm just overhyped.

I was very intrigued when I saw all of the starters. They seem to disobey tradition! Chespin (my avvy only due to convenience) is not a reptile, and it looks more like an Armadillo or armoured Squirrel. If it's the former, that's just plain awesome. Also, Fennekin looks surprisingly feminine. PLEASE DON'T BE A FIRE/FIGHTING. ANYTHING BUT. And the Frog is interesting.

Chespin - I like Grass pokemon, so I'd go with this guy. If it's a hedgehog, all of my want. It may not look the most original but it is still cute and I am very curious to see what type it is. In the trailer they showed Golurk and some shadow move, so it's potential types are ground and dark.
Fennekin - Adorable and probably may be the most popular of the bunch. It's a Fox, or a dog, and that's pretty much all you need to make an awesome pokemon. It's also surprisingly feminine looking. Perhaps it will be a psychic type? The power it used in the trailer hinted at such, as it was all psy-ey and mystical.
Froakie - Probably my least favourite of the bunch because it's rather quirky. It's stances suggest it being a fighting type so that would be nice. It is still cute in it's own way though.
I do hope that, unlike last generation, the types are more interesting. One thing is for sure though: these designs of all these pokemon (of course it's only five, but hey) look great, and more people seem to like them than before.

Zielo said:
I have a few burning questions as well. WPM said that Ken Sugimori designed 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon, but what about 3-5, who did those? Did Ken have any involvement in the Pokemon designs, or did he just finalize the original art made by someone else? I don't know too much about the GameFreak staff.

IMO Ken should be the forever creator of Pokemon designs though... Satoshi may have created Pokemon but I honestly don't think it would have been nearly this popular if it wasn't for Kens artwork. I hope he had a lot of involvement in this generation, and as WPM said, I can see that simplicity in Fennekin as well.

Ken did some of the designs in Gen 5 I think, but I knew for a fact that a lot of artists, both Japanese and perhaps Western/European designers were part of the team. Judging by these guys though the artwork already seems to be improved from Gen 5.

i just love fennekin... have you seen the trailer whe it uses a psychic move??? well, that's a great pokémon

Shampoo Thief said:

Some pretty cool final evo fan art. I really like the Chespin one!

I really like the Froakie evo. It reminds me of Cyclos and Zephos from Wind Waker, the frog/cloud motif. Is there a myth relating frogs and the sky out there somewhere?

Chespin is my favorite of the three, it just looks full of attitude. I've never been drawn to a grass starter before. It's not like I have negative emotions towards the others, I'm really enjoying the designs of this gen so far.

Also:
tumblr_mgc5tfhQgu1roxp20o1_500.jpg

I think the final evo will be more elegant/European rather than brutish..
Fennekin will have a Marie-Antoinette-ish air to it, and Froakie will be somewhat lord-like (lord, in the feudalistic term, not spiritual).
Chespin is quite odd since it's the only one who looks more working class than the rest

Fennekin for the win! Child-like Chespin, composed Fennekin, and genius Froakie. The evolutions should be really interesting...

Pokemon will never be the same again... By the way, these starters look okay(love Fennekin!). Wonder what their typing is ... anyways, the graphics look strange. The main character looks broken and block shaped, although the front view is nice and the graphics are EPIC!!! ust dissapointed by no sprites.

I agree. The starters are all awesome in their own unique way. I can't wait to see their evolutions! If you look at this picture, http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Froakie_attacks.png
it leads me to think Froakie is a Water/Ice type. Those are definitely snowflakes.

BassoonBro said:
I agree. The starters are all awesome in their own unique way. I can't wait to see their evolutions! If you look at this picture, http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Froakie_attacks.png
it leads me to think Froakie is a Water/Ice type. Those are definitely snowflakes.

I agree I def think it may end up being water/ice

I've been looking at the Battles and so far I've noticed some effects that happen when Fennekin Attacks.
I've also noticed that the heat spots on its ears aren't in the game.
BattleEffect_zps02598673.png

BTW, what is that thing near its tail in XY? It looks like it's where the tufts near its tail are supposed to be.

Please try to avoid quoting images. If you absolutely must, use a spoiler for it. Thanks! :] ~ES

Blob55 said:
I've been looking at the Battles and so far I've noticed some effects that happen when Fennekin Attacks.
I've also noticed that the heat spots on its ears aren't in the game.
BattleEffect_zps02598673.png

BTW, what is that thing near its tail in XY? It looks like it's where the tufts near its tail are supposed to be.

Ouch, looks like Pokemon made a mistake. Or it could be a prototype, who knows.

Could also be an evo! Though probably not.

The video did say NOT final game footage and ND did say they are still developing the games and once again it's not like we haven't seen them change Pokedesigns before....Excadrill anyone?

I love Froakie, the other two i'm not as keen to. That said, i agree with the premise of the thread; I think they are all acceptable Pokemon. None of them are the Chimchar or Oshawott of the group (although, Greenthing is very osh..).

Back