XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

i hate how people keep saying the new fox looks like the others.

obviously its also a fox but based on something else.

its based on those desert foxes, nintales is a nine tailed fox, etc.

Yeah, fenek is a desert fox indeed. A different style.
Strangely enough, I like all the starters. Chespin looks kinda like a crazy Oshawott, but that's fine. Fennikin is awesome. After the letdown of the Emboar family, something good. Not Fire-Fighting, I hope. Blaziken is the only good one for this type!

This will be the first time since Charmander that I pick the fire starter instead of the water starter. It's a freaking FENNEC FOX, my "soul animal," as it were. I'm not a fan of frogs, so I don't really like Froakie's design. That being said, it's still pretty cute and I can see the appeal for others. As for Chespin, I like it. I wouldn't choose it over Fennekin, but I think its evolutions might be pretty cool.

Just gonna quote myself again, so I don't repeat myself:

Metalizard said:
Don't like the grass starter,
the water starter is meh,
The fire starter is by far the better and the only one I truly like.
Yet, frogs and foxes again is a bit annoying (not so much for fennec)
Also, they look like they were drawn by CascadeGonpory (not saying that's a bad thing), but look more like the typical fakemon we usually see...

I don't exactly know why I don't like the grass starter, I simply don't like it... I'd prefer if they had continue the grass tradition of having the grass starter being a reptile. This time, none of the starters are reptiles which are animals I really like.

But yeah, Fennekin is the better by far and the only one I'd choose... But now I'll wait to see their final evos. Maybe I'll change my opinion on some of them...

Water Pokémon Master said:
..Chespin has some sort of grass hat (almost looks like a Slowking's Shellder attachment)..

"grass hat" wtf are you serious? e.e

Ever seen chestnuts?
320px-Chestnut03.jpg

hedgehog = spiky
chestnut husk = spiky
spiky + spiky = awesome

Flygon2071 said:
I like Fennekin the most. It just has such a brilliant art really like a fox (and cute too). It reminds me of Vulpix a lot too.
I also like Froakie and Chespin. I will probably pick Fennekin.

Me too. That's the best looking one. Chespin looks O-K and Froakie just looks really stupid in my opinion.

Honestly this is the first time I have ever liked all three Starter Pokemon...

Don't think you're everyone, WPM. ;-)

I don't actively hate any starter, but I was especially fond of Gen IV for giving us a turtle, a penguin, and a monkey! Sadly, the lack of significant progress in streamlining and "Evolving" the Pokémon game mechanics means how they play isn't a huge concern to me (e.g. I am just going by aesthetics).

I like Fennekin, though the head seems just a bit big. The other two are kind of "meh". They aren't bad, and possibly wouldn't even be the bottom of my list for starter designs, but they feel a lot like Oshawott (my personal reaction, I mean); I'll get used to it and perhaps even like it well enough then.

Wait... Bulbasaur was supposed to be a stylized frog? If that is true, Bulbasaur just dropped a rank on my evaluation; I've been liking it fraudulently for thinking it is supposed to be some sort of saurian (or possibly lizard or even non-frog amphibian) for over a decade. XD[/b]

Mitja said:
..Chespin has some sort of grass hat (almost looks like a Slowking's Shellder attachment)..

"grass hat" wtf are you serious? e.e

Ever seen chestnuts?
320px-Chestnut03.jpg

hedgehog = spiky
chestnut husk = spiky
spiky + spiky = awesome

I can read the Pokedex entry:

Chespin has lots of spikes in its head for stopping predators from attacking them (or something of that sort).

Anyone else thinking Fennekin's second typing will be psychic? ( Kin for kindle/kinesis, and i think it uses confusion in the trailer)
I really really hope this is true as a psychic starter is something I've wanted FOREVER.
Also, could Chespin end up part ground? He seems to have Drilbur claws for feet :/

MistahFuji said:
Anyone else thinking Fennekin's second typing will be psychic? ( Kin for kindle/kinesis, and i think it uses confusion in the trailer)
I really really hope this is true as a psychic starter is something I've wanted FOREVER.
Also, could Chespin end up part ground? He seems to have Drilbur claws for feet :/

I hope Fennekin is Psychic has more Special Attack than Physical. I think it was Psywave.

That is curious about the Drillbur claws.

Wow...this is the first time since Gen 1 that I can't easily decide on a starter. They ALL look good to me, which has never happened before.

Can't wait to see their evolutions!

Chespin- Grass/Fighting
Fennekin- Fire- Psychic
Froakie - Water

And when does the next issue of CoroCoro come out? I can't wait to see what reveals each month may have.

I really like all the starters, but especially Fennekin and Chespin!
Can't wait to see their evolutions.

Nah, I think Chespin might be(come) Grass/Dark as it used Shadow Claw.

Fennekin is adorable and I haven't loved a starter this much since Torchic (and Torchic was my first starter). So many cool points will be awarded if it isn't Fire/Fighting.

Froakie is also really cute, so I will have to give it a try as well. I've never really liked any of the Water starters (Piplup was cool though, and Water is my favorite type).

Not really too sure what Chespin is. :/

Teal said:
Nah, I think Chespin might be(come) Grass/Dark as it used Shadow Claw.

True actually, didn't notice that! So grass/dark, fire/psychic and water.... ice? (Froakie - Frost/Croakie ? ) His neck resembles a cloud too! And he uses ice beam in the trailer

It's so awesome that everyone is loving the starters. I thought people were going to freak with how bad they were, because they're so different. But I think that's what's p*ssed people off, the fact that the old starters just seemed so rehashed in style, 'different' seems to be the theme here with these games and I couldn't be more thrilled.

I think it's safe to say that Ferrekin won't become part Fighting, my hope is there. I love it, it's funny that people have mentioned Zorua and Vulpix, there are oooonly so many animals to base Pokemon on. I think it'll be my choice, i'm going to try and not see their evolutions, or much of the game at all, as the game will be out at the same time roughly nationwide it means I won't have to ruin the new 'dex to help time pass, this could be the first game since Red where I go in completely clueless! whichwouldbeamazing.

All the starters look rad, Chespin is a suprise, but I love it eccentric risky design. I guess my least favourite is Froakie, seems the most 'frog pokemon by numbers', but I still dig it. My guesses for secondary types, although i'm happy that i'll probably be wrong, Fire/Psychic (maybe ghost?) (if any secondary type), Grass/Fighting or maybe Dark (if any), and Water/Ice (I just have a hunch, it's white colour scheme with the blue and it's not been done before)

Chespin = Grass/Dark (Clearly using something like Night Slash on that Golurk (would make sense as that would end up being super effective)).

Fennekin = Fire/Psychic (using Psywave would give us the hint that it is also psychic, or at least its later evolutions are).

Froakie = Water/(Electric or Fighting???) (attack it uses seems to have some little electrical properties to it, could be a fighting type though, as if it were a fighting type it would complete the reverse cycle of type advantages of the three starters, thus leading to all 3 starters having equal advantages over each other).

As I always go with the Grass starter, I would be very happy if Chespin was Dark type as well. Though I also see Ground or Fighting as possible combos.
Froakie, imo, looks psychic type to me. Almost resembling an owl with it's large eyes, and has white hair and a beard thing. Also the white stuff on it's nose are shaped like glasses almost. Giving it a kind of professor-like look.
Though I believe Froakie will just be Water type (or Water/fighting if Chespin isn't Fighting as well), since from what we saw in the trailer, Fennekin is (most likely) Fire/Psychic. Victini's special typing didn't last long, did it? :p

I would much rather have Chespin be Grass/Ghost than Grass/Dark since we already have Shiftry and Cacturne. But he doesn't seem too ghosty (Though neither does Frillish)... It's very likely that he just gets Night slash/Shadow Claw as a level up move (Like charmander and metal claw).

As for Froakie and ice beam, Most water types end up getting ice beam without being an ice type too (Except Magikarp, Keldeo and maybe another 2 or 3).

But I think the psywave type move on Fennekin might hint towards it's typing more since that move is usually less widely given to pokemon other than psychic types.

Anyways, I think Froakie is my favorite so far, I kinda like odd looking pokemon.

Back