XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

It's a chipmunk/hedgehog/squirrel with a chestnut on it's head what is the deal? I love it. I really like all these starters but all the negativity towards Chespin makes me wanna choose it for my first play through just to snub all this hateration.

Froakemon Franklin

Mozilla Fennefox

And uh...

SOMEONE GIVE ME A NAME FOR CHESPIN STAT.

Wait, people were disgusted with the three designs for the Unova Starters? I actually really loved them a whole lot. I especially love that extra human touch they have in their personalities, compared to some of the other starters, like how Snivy is subtle, sarcastic, and elegant, Oshawott is kinda bubbly, plain-clothed, and sentimental, Tepig is independent, athletic, and competitive, I thought that dynamic in personality was awesome!

BassoonBro said:
I agree. The starters are all awesome in their own unique way. I can't wait to see their evolutions! If you look at this picture, http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Froakie_attacks.png
it leads me to think Froakie is a Water/Ice type. Those are definitely snowflakes.

Despite supporting the Water/Ice speculation, I don't think the snowflake is any indication of it being one.
Many pure water Pokémon can learn ice attacks

I'm hoping in the anime Chespin is the new cute never evolving one so maybe we can finally have a fully evolved water starter in the main cast or better yet they all evolve fully would be best.

Please try to avoid quoting images. If you absolutely must, use a spoiler for it. Thanks! :] ~ES

Blob55 said:
I've been looking at the Battles and so far I've noticed some effects that happen when Fennekin Attacks.
I've also noticed that the heat spots on its ears aren't in the game.
BattleEffect_zps02598673.png

BTW, what is that thing near its tail in XY? It looks like it's where the tufts near its tail are supposed to be.

How interesting! Didn't even notice. I wonder which one is the one they were shooting for.

meliakh said:
BassoonBro said:
I agree. The starters are all awesome in their own unique way. I can't wait to see their evolutions! If you look at this picture, http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Froakie_attacks.png
it leads me to think Froakie is a Water/Ice type. Those are definitely snowflakes.

Despite supporting the Water/Ice speculation, I don't think the snowflake is any indication of it being one.
Many pure water Pokémon can learn ice attacks

Yeah, you're right. Just an interesting video when you break it down to detail. Cannot WAIT for more!

I am so absolutely satisfied with the starters, they are on point this generation. When the B/W starters were revealed I was absolutely disgusted. I even remember pseudo-ranting on a thread somewhere about how disappointed I was with the declining quality of starter concepts (I love them all now though, they grew on me). But this time, Pokemon has reaffirmed my faith in their designing and concept ideas right off the bat for Gen. 6.

First off, Fennekin is my definite favorite out of all of them! She's such an elegant looking Pokemon and doesn't look like it was pulled out of a radiation field like some others. Also, I really like the name because it's a lot better than ridiculously unoriginal names like Krabby or Skunktank (but those aren't really starters so the comparison is skewed)- however I will say that Tepig and Emboar are borderline. I already know that I'll be choosing this Pokemon as my starter when the games come out, partially because I usually never choose the fire type, and partially because it looks like it's going to have a sick looking evolution line.

Froakie, I think, has an excellent design for the water type starter, but I really don't care for the name (hopefully its evo's will be better). As long as Froakie's evolutions have better names and don't start looking like Seismitoad or Polytoed, I will continue to be satisfied with it. And Chespin is alright for the most part, but I just really wish it didn't look like Oshawott gone grass. I can handle the poorly rethought design on this starter simply because I like the other two so much. Nevertheless I'm kind of appalled that they would give the OK to a design this Oshawott-looking.

Well, I really like all three. However, a funny thing that I noticed in Gen IV was that I have always gone in a cycle. for R/B/Y, I chose Squirtle the first time I went through. For G/S/C, I chose Chikorita. For R/S/E, I chose Torchic.

It wasn't until after I chose Piplup in Diamond that I realized that. And I have kept up that trend, picking Snivy for White. I don't do it on purpose, it actually lines up that I always like the designs and look of each starter.

That being said, I am definitely picking Fennekin :p I love foxes, and a fennec fox with its heat retaining ears is a really unique take on a Fire-type! If I buy both games, the other one i'm likely to pick Chespin. I'm thrilled to get a grass starter that ISN'T a reptile.

I'm in a minority on this one: Fenneken's the only 1 of the 5 revealed I like.

I think Chespin is cute but looks too weird and I think Froakie is just ugly.

I also think X and Y look more alien than Deoxys does.

Personally, I don't understand why gen 6 starters are getting hate.

Chespin is amazing!!! Froakie is cool too, but Fennekin looks okay to me

Fennekin from Fennec Fox and Kin (as in kinship)
Fennec Fox are unusually different because they live as a pair or family unlike other foxes which are solitary.

Additional Information: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, a french aviator, likes fennec foxes, and drew an inspiration from them as the fox in The Little Prince

Eos_Hyperion said:
Fennec Fox are unusually different because they live as a pair or family unlike other foxes which are solitary.

I thought that the 'kin' part of Fennekin came from kindle. But kin could work.

Paddy185 said:
Eos_Hyperion said:

I thought that the 'kin' part of Fennekin came from kindle. But kin could work.

Yes, Possibly too,
Froakie possibly Frog, Croak, Froth (as in Foam)
The white stuff around Froakie is a foam, a characteristic of certain frogs when they lay eggs, they produce foam to protect their eggs.
Possibly because frog legs are famous in france, however, its not the only country that use them as food.
Chespin possibly Chestnut and Espin (french for Spines)
Louis XII, a king who ruled France long ago, used porcupine on his emblem.
The spines on Chespin's head resembles the thorns of a unopened chestnut and a crown.
Possibly a Monarch themed Pokemon

At first glance, I didn't like Froakie very much. But now it's growing on me :) The other two are very fine to me. But I feel like none of these 3 look like starters. They're something like out-of-the-box. If you put all 6 starters together and pick the odd one out, I'd say it would be the 3 from gen 6. And I don't think that's a bad thing, it's good to change paterns

Eos_Hyperion said:
Louis XII, a king who ruled France long ago, used porcupine on his emblem.
The spines on Chespin's head resembles the thorns of a unopened chestnut and a crown.
Possibly a Monarch themed Pokemon

Wow, I didn't know that.. Being a French king, I thought his emblem would be a rooster or something..
But the Chespin looks... lowly (?), almost paper boy-ish..

I was watching the video again and took these notes on the starters.

Chespin
-Used Solarbeam against Magikarp
-Not too sure what it used against Golurk. Looks kinda like BW2 Aerial Ace.
-One of the French kings had a porcupine as his emblem, which I think is where the idea behind Chespin came from.
-If I'm right about it being a porcupine, its probably going to evolve to Grass/Steel

Fennekin
-Used some kind of Fire move against Munchlax
-The attack Fennekin used against Kirlia came out of its mouth. Maybe it's just Growl, and the waves around Kirlia are the "Kirlia's attack fell" animation :/
-It looks really feminine, so maybe its based on Marie Antoinette?
-Really open ended to interpretation at this point in regards to typing.

Froakie
-Pretty sure that was Water Gun vs Pansear
-I noticed some electric shocks come off of Patrat when Froakie attacked it. Maybe this is Spark?
-Right now, I'm almost certain its gonna get a full head of hair as it evolves, looking a lot like french kings
-If that attack is Spark, I'm fairly certain its a Water/Electric type

Bippa said:
I was watching the video again and took these notes on the starters.

Chespin
-Used Solarbeam against Magikarp
-Not too sure what it used against Golurk. Looks kinda like BW2 Aerial Ace.
-One of the French kings had a porcupine as his emblem, which I think is where the idea behind Chespin came from.
-If I'm right about it being a porcupine, its probably going to evolve to Grass/Steel

Fennekin
-Used some kind of Fire move against Munchlax
-The attack Fennekin used against Kirlia came out of its mouth. Maybe it's just Growl, and the waves around Kirlia are the "Kirlia's attack fell" animation :/
-It looks really feminine, so maybe its based on Marie Antoinette?
-Really open ended to interpretation at this point in regards to typing.

Froakie
-Pretty sure that was Water Gun vs Pansear
-I noticed some electric shocks come off of Patrat when Froakie attacked it. Maybe this is Spark?
-Right now, I'm almost certain its gonna get a full head of hair as it evolves, looking a lot like french kings
-If that attack is Spark, I'm fairly certain its a Water/Electric type

I love the idea of Water/Electric starter but I think it's gonna be Water/Psychic or Water/Fighting.

PMJ said:
Fennekin is ultra cute, but I bet Chespin is gonna look badass when it evolves into its final form.

Will this be the first gen since 1 to not have ugly, spawn of sin middle evos for the starters??? Only time will tell.
> Implying gen 1 stage ones are not ugly

I think you mixed up gen 1 with 2 and 5 (forget ThePig line, it's stupid overall)

Back