XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

I'm starting to think that GameFreak might be using the Grass-Fire-Water and Dark-Psychic-Fighting triangles simultaneously at once for the new starters.

Jugding from their attacks in the trailer, it might seem that GF's hinting at a secondary typing for each, seeing that each pair of attacks are most likely of different types.

For Chespin, the 2nd attack might be Night Slash, and a Psychic-ish attack for Fennekin, and a pretty physical (probably Fighting type) move for Froakie.

So I'm guessing that GF might be downplaying the original type advantages that Chespin would have over Froakie, that Froakie would have over Fennekin, and that Fennekin would have over Chespin.

So in addition to these type advantages, if Chespin, Froakie and Fennekin are really Dark, Fighting and Psychic types at the same time respectively, then there would be no more type advantage. ie. Chespin's Dark typing would triumph over Fennekin's Psychic type even though Fire wins Grass.

dividePower said:
I'm starting to think that GameFreak might be using the Grass-Fire-Water and Dark-Psychic-Fighting triangles simultaneously at once for the new starters.

Jugding from their attacks in the trailer, it might seem that GF's hinting at a secondary typing for each, seeing that each pair of attacks are most likely of different types.

For Chespin, the 2nd attack might be Night Slash, and a Psychic-ish attack for Fennekin, and a pretty physical (probably Fighting type) move for Froakie.

So I'm guessing that GF might be downplaying the original type advantages that Chespin would have over Froakie, that Froakie would have over Fennekin, and that Fennekin would have over Chespin.

So in addition to these type advantages, if Chespin, Froakie and Fennekin are really Dark, Fighting and Psychic types at the same time respectively, then there would be no more type advantage. ie. Chespin's Dark typing would triumph over Fennekin's Psychic type even though Fire wins Grass.

I also think that. The fastest will have the advantage and all seem to me that they may be pretty fast.

So far I love them!
Chespin looks adorable. The second Grass starter in a row that I'm impressed with! Just hope he has better offensive stats than Snivy, then he'll probably be my favorite Grass starter!
Fennekin, holy crap its so cuuuuuuute and fluffffeh! A HUGE step ahead of Tepig imo. I'm also assuming the evolutions are part Psychic type cuz of it using what I assume is a Psychic type move.
Froakie I'm indifferent to so far. I'll probably warm up to him more when his evolutions are revealed. Although, I was sort of the same way with Oshawott (At first, I thought he looked too much like Piplup), now he's my favorite gen V starter!

Well, some days have passed since the reveal of the 6th gen and... my opinion on the starters is pretty much the same...
Fennekin is my favorite, the one that looks better
I like Froakie more now, looks kinda funny.
Still don't like Chespin. Looks more like a fakemon, besides looking like Oshawott Grass mode. While Oshawott is nice, Chespin looks ridiculous to me with that spiky hat. Maybe its final stage looks better.

My main problem with these starters though, is that they don't look very well together as a set of starters. While I like Froakie, it's mainly its fault (although Chespin doesn't help much either). It doesn't feel like starter material to me. The fact we already had 2 three-stage-families of water-type frogs/toads doesn't help. So having another one as a starter, while it is something different, also makes it feel more like a pokémon you would encounter in the wild.

Still, I'm interested in seeing the final evos, maybe it changes something in my opinion..

I'm kind of sad to see 5th gen go I feel as if it was one of the best generations we've had in a while.Despite the fact that it means 5th gen is over I actually like the 6th generation starters.I think they all have their own unique design and style. I think many people will have a tough time choosing between the new starters.These are the best starters we have had in a while in all honesty the last time I had a tough time choosing was in 2nd gen(5th was easy oshawott all the way). So far we have only had 5 Pokemon revealed so it may be a bit too quick to judge but 6th gen looks like it's going to be even better than fifth!

I love Froakie, and Chespin is alright, but I honestly winced at Fennekin, just because fox-like pokemon are so excessively popular that it feels like cheap pandering, and they always draw attention away from stranger, more clever pokemon. We have almost as many frog lines and fox lines, yes, but the frogs aren't quite as popular, and real frogs come in SO many bizarre forms that there are endless ways to adapt them without even having to exaggerate. Froakie seems based on the tree frogs that raise their young in large, hanging foam nests.

Foxes are all...foxes. Yes, even fennec foxes. Isn't the whole Eevee line already fennec-like enough?

Rihorama said:
I don't really see why you all think Fennekin could be psychic type. What do Fennecs do? Burry themselves in sand. If Fennekin has a dual type, it is ground because guess what, it makes sense xD.
I don't really see why you all think Sneasel could be ice type. What do weasels do? Burry themselves in dirt. If Sneasel has a dual type, it's going to be ground because guess what, it makes sense xD.

Please let Chespin have good stats and a good typing! First thing I saw it I said "Omg he's mine!".

Considering the trailer, it looks as if GameFreak is going to do a double layered "Rock-Paper-Scissors". Chespin's line being Grass/Dark, Fennekin's line being Fire/Psychic, and Froakie's line being Water/Fighting. They'd still be weak against the type with the advantage, yet be strong against it at the same time, becuase of the 2nd type. Besides I <3 Dark-types! (other than Dragon, Water, and Poison).

And I swear if Fennekin is revealed as a Fire/Fighting I'll throw my 3DS out the window.
And why am I the only one of my friends who doesn't want Fennekin? I mean, it's cute like Chespin, but I just like Chespin more. Eh. I guess my friends are all like "YEOWWW! Time to play with Fire!". Geez this is the first time since Turtwig I'll be choosing a Grass starter. That was over 6 years ago!

wolfman967 said:
Please let Chespin have good stats and a good typing! First thing I saw it I said "Omg he's mine!".

Considering the trailer, it looks as if GameFreak is going to do a double layered "Rock-Paper-Scissors". Chespin's line being Grass/Dark, Fennekin's line being Fire/Psychic, and Froakie's line being Water/Fighting. They'd still be weak against the type with the advantage, yet be strong against it at the same time, becuase of the 2nd type. Besides I <3 Dark-types! (other than Dragon, Water, and Poison).

And I swear if Fennekin is revealed as a Fire/Fighting I'll throw my 3DS out the window.
And why am I the only one of my friends who doesn't want Fennekin? I mean, it's cute like Chespin, but I just like Chespin more. Eh. I guess my friends are all like "YEOWWW! Time to play with Fire!". Geez this is the first time since Turtwig I'll be choosing a Grass starter. That was over 6 years ago!

I actually like the Idea of the double layered

Silentslayer said:
wolfman967 said:

I actually like the Idea of the double layered

Yah me too. I'm really excited to see what their evolutions will turn out to be.

Predictions:

Chespin and his Stage 1 and Stage 2 evolutions are all Grass/Ground
Fennekin and his Stage 1 evolution are Fire, while the Stage 2 evolution becomes Fire/Psychic
Froakie is Water, while his Stage 1 and Stage 2 evolutions become Water/Flying.

My predictions on types:

Chespin Grass/Fighting/ or Grass/Poison
Froakie Water/Fighting or Water/Ice
Fennekin Fire or Fire/Psychic or perhaps Fire/Ground

My predictions (what I want it to be was already posted):

Chespin Grass/Dark or just Grass
Fennekin Fire/FightingPsychic
Froakie Water/Ice or just Wayer

People have been going wild for the whole Psy/Fight/Dark thing that its actually slightly annoying at this point....

These three types have never been used as a group in pokemon history, ever.
Gamefreak doesn't even view them as related akin to the starter types or similar popular type groupings.

It all started with fake starters of these types like a decade ago, that way too many people got fooled into thinking they're real.

I seriously doubt these starters will gain exactly those three types.

Sure I can see Fennekin get Psy, and I hope it does, because it hasnt happened yet.
But Id really rather see Poison on Froakie, if anything.... Poliwrath is enough for the other job.

Silentslayer said:
I hope Chespin is Grass/Rock if it gains Ground or Dark it is setting itself up for failure.

lol what?

Grass/Ground is superior. Rock is like the worst type you can have...after Ice.

Grass/Dark is pretty bad...but at least it has some resistances to work with.

They are OK I guess... But seriously, they aren't that original. They already ran out of ideas and they're making Pokémon after already existing ones... Fenekkin isn't the first fox in Pokémon, and the fact that it's also fire type (just like Vulpix) is kind of stupid. The same goes for Froakie which design I personally like but once again... there have been frogs already! Seismitoad, Toxicroak etc... And Chespin looks too much like Dewott... but out of the 3 of them, he's probably based on the best idea they had.

Mitja said:
lol what?

Grass/Ground is superior. Rock is like the worst type you can have...after Ice.

Grass/Dark is pretty bad...but at least it has some resistances to work with.

Ice types can knock out a Grass/Ground easily.
If they use blizzard and have a STAB

^Any decent special attacker with access to Ice Beam can OHKO a Grass/Ground... But other than that I guess Grass/Ground has a better type coverage than Grass/Rock

Back