What do you collect?

At first, I just go for at least 1 print of each card in the set.

Then I go back and get the other versions (not theme deck exclusive holo/non-holo cards thats too much work (although if I can I might get them also)).

I think of a set as complete with at least 1 of each card, and a set as COMPLETELY complete with regular and RH versions of each card (unless they don't have 2 prints, like SRs and stuff).

Shiningmilotic said:
^ i know! xD there are like 10 zillion different pikachu cards!!! I currently have I think...41 different arts? Out like... how many! xD I wouls love to colelct one of each in a different language but thats a lot of work!

I just counted my wife's collection 218, but that also includes cards with Pikachu in the background. That is less than what is in my collection.

I collect to have every artwork of each Pokemon. Obviously not going to happen for a lot of Pokemon with trophy cards or even probably a lot of the ones with gold stars, but it's still fun. More recently I've been trying to complete English sets in terms of having one copy of each number. I don't distinguish between regular/first edition nor regular/reverse.

Leafeons and Charizards. In terms of Leafeon, I have about 50, and am only missing the Staff Prerelease. In terms of Charizards, I have about 20 and am missing Shining 1st Ed., Base 1st Ed. and Shadowless, Star, SF, Dragon and Dark Holo.

I enjoy collecting cards that do not have evolution. cards like legendaries, shiny, and the extra stuff like absol.

omahanime said:
I just counted my wife's collection 218, but that also includes cards with Pikachu in the background. That is less than what is in my collection.

0.0 dang.... that is one dedicated pikachu fan xD I could never do that, even if I was rich! That is a LOT of pikachus... @~@
*opens your binder(s)* pikachu card avalanche!

Frost said:
I collect to have every artwork of each Pokemon. Obviously not going to happen for a lot of Pokemon with trophy cards or even probably a lot of the ones with gold stars, but it's still fun. More recently I've been trying to complete English sets in terms of having one copy of each number. I don't distinguish between regular/first edition nor regular/reverse.

lol same here! xD I have two of the same ghastly card, one from the base and another from some other re-release print but they are the same card through my eyes. If I get one holo, and one reverse holo, I still add both in my binder though. I love all the card arts!! I want my binders to be like a mini art musuem! However I actually dont collect trainers or special energies unless they are holo. Just "pokemon" pokemon cards. Theres no way I will get a trophy card. x3 I have 0 gold stars but I have the 6 shiny crowned beasts from CoL ( promo+ set ones) closest I have to a gold star or shiny pokemon card! xD id buy some but ponies make me broke :p no regrets tho!

Shiningmilotic said:
0.0 dang.... that is one dedicated pikachu fan xD I could never do that, even if I was rich! That is a LOT of pikachus... @~@

You will be surprised on how easy it happens. She always gets one of my doubles. When I see a cheap promo Pikachu, I buy 2.

All of you that are collecting a type of card will get impressive collections. You pick up that card from new sets. You will find promos. You will trade with people like me with foreign cards. It will take time, but it is achievable. The process will add interest to your life.

omahanime said:
All of you that are collecting a type of card will get impressive collections. You pick up that card from new sets. You will find promos. You will trade with people like me with foreign cards. It will take time, but it is achievable. The process will add interest to your life.

That right there is a very great Pokemon collector quote - beautiful!

I totally agree though. Once you set your sights on a specific Pokemon or type of card, it becomes a very interesting process gathering up all of the cards associated. Finding them is fun, and then trying to get a hold of them, albeit challenging, is still pretty fun. It's also just a challenge trying to figure out which cards you're still missing :p
But it really is worth it. I've seen people complete their collections of specific Pokemon, and you can just tell, even over the internet, that they are super overjoyed. I have mildly experienced this feeling, with completing my POP 5 set, but I have yet to truly get there. I'm sure it will happen when I finally find and grab hold of the most elusive Jumbos, or when I finish my Rayquaza collection :)

Daelum said:
That right there is a very great Pokemon collector quote - beautiful!

I totally agree though. Once you set your sights on a specific Pokemon or type of card, it becomes a very interesting process gathering up all of the cards associated. Finding them is fun, and then trying to get a hold of them, albeit challenging, is still pretty fun. It's also just a challenge trying to figure out which cards you're still missing :p
But it really is worth it. I've seen people complete their collections of specific Pokemon, and you can just tell, even over the internet, that they are super overjoyed. I have mildly experienced this feeling, with completing my POP 5 set, but I have yet to truly get there. I'm sure it will happen when I finally find and grab hold of the most elusive Jumbos, or when I finish my Rayquaza collection :)

To go further with this... I used to collect (and not play), then stopped (many things going on in my life). One fear I have now is that I'll finish a collection.. stare at it... and go "what now?".

On the plus side, now that I play, when I finish collecting a set, anything else I get is fair game for a deck :)

AnUnown said:
To go further with this... I used to collect (and not play), then stopped (many things going on in my life). One fear I have now is that I'll finish a collection.. stare at it... and go "what now?".

"What now"? You collect the rest of the English set cards. Then move on to the promos. Then go to Japanese cards, first collecting all the sets, then all the promos. And trust me, if you get the opportunity to say "What now?" after all of that, then you write an book on your tales of Pokemon card collecting.

AnUnown said:
One fear I have now is that I'll finish a collection.. stare at it... and go "what now?".

Trust me that is not an issue. The issue is getting one of every card ever made, inventorying them, and storing them.

I promised myself I would not start any new collections until I completed my VS set but suddenly I'v fallen in love with the 1997 Carddass cards. My goodness Ken Sugimori artwork with Pokemon NOT in their generic poses is amazing. I've already made amazing progress completing over half the set. But yeah, really beautiful cards!

ForeignDude said:
I promised myself I would not start any new collections until I completed my VS set

NarcoticHobo accomplished that feat in a very wise fashion.

Daelum said:
"What now"? You collect the rest of the English set cards. Then move on to the promos. Then go to Japanese cards, first collecting all the sets, then all the promos. And trust me, if you get the opportunity to say "What now?" after all of that, then you write an book on your tales of Pokemon card collecting.

True, though I don't know if I'd ever move on to the Japanese cards. Something about not knowing what my card says doesn't sit well.... I suppose I could always learn Japanese as part of the "journey" :)

omahanime said:
Trust me that is not an issue. The issue is getting one of every card ever made, inventorying them, and storing them.

Yes, that's been the "annoying" part for me as well. Gotten the storage part down, working on software now to help with managing the collection. Any pointers or suggestions to keep in mind for needed functionality beyond the basics (card, number, set/series, type [holo,FA etc], quantity)?

Ai-Dah!!

More terrible than Zekrom, more ferocious than Mewtwo, Ellie & Mom were here ;)

Love you!

EDIT: and that's what happens when I leave my pokebeach account and my mom finds it open, sorry. -.-

AnUnown said:
True, though I don't know if I'd ever move on to the Japanese cards. Something about not knowing what my card says doesn't sit well.... I suppose I could always learn Japanese as part of the "journey" :)

You collect Japanese cards for the art. There are thousands of cards that have never been released in English.

AnUnown said:
Yes, that's been the "annoying" part for me as well. Gotten the storage part down, working on software now to help with managing the collection. Any pointers or suggestions to keep in mind for needed functionality beyond the basics (card, number, set/series, type [holo,FA etc], quantity)?

What I have always wanted is a program did that. Languages. A need list would be nice. Digital output ( so you copy and paste to a trade list ). Have quantity broke into collection and trade (would tell you how total cards in your collection, and how many of a card is available for trade or sale). The ability to do invoicing . An easy way to update available cards.

omahanime said:

I'm starting to encounter this issue myself. :(

Taking inventory and setting up a proper storage system isn't as easy as it seems. I've got all my sets in binders but the vast majority of my collection I've got in a card-board box with dividers. Whenever I get a new card, I put it in a sleeve and top loader then organize it into that box. I also need to find a way to store my graded and jumbo cards.

SoulWind said:
I'm starting to encounter this issue myself. :(

Taking inventory and setting up a proper storage system isn't as easy as it seems. I've got all my sets in binders but the vast majority of my collection I've got in a card-board box with dividers. Whenever I get a new card, I put it in a sleeve and top loader then organize it into that box. I also need to find a way to store my graded and jumbo cards.

What I do. I put everything in 1/2" binders. Expensive, but easier to work with. I label, and number the binder. Binders go together into Banker's boxes. Cards are separated by language, type(set, promo, or deck)

Back