What cards should be banned in our current format?

Storm_Front

Aspiring Trainer
I think most of us can come to some sort of agreement that SP it too powerful in our current format. Obviously no cards will be banned from the current sets but here's the cards I'd like to see taken out

Gengar_SF: While his HP is low for a stage 2 and his attacks aren't game breaking, I feel his fainting spell pokepower makes him too powerful. There is little way round it since you can't power spray or Mespirit lock it.

Crobat G: This would make donk decks less effictive, which are running rampant at the moment

Team Galactic's Invention - Energy Gain/Power Spray/Poke Turn
SP pokemon aren't broken by themselves and have obvious drawbacks, but that doesn't mean much when you have BDIF trainers which are exclusive only to them. Poke Turn eliminates the skill of healing and retreating pokemon, if you don't get a 1HK0, you know the very next turn they'll just poke turn Garchomp C, promote a fresh one, level him up, energy gain+DCE FTW.

What I don't get about power spray is why couldn't they make it so every deck could use it. It would be fair because it would allow both players so slow each others setup. Instead they make it so it could only be allowed when 3 SPs are on the field.

Energy Gain doesn't require much explanation. Effectively you have 1 for 60,80 attacks with minimal drawbacks which in my book are too powerful.

I did think about including Cyrus's Conspiracy, but it has a lot of uses in non SP decks, as it allows for low energy decks and the ability to search for supporters, increasing consistency.

Are you kidding me? Each of those pokemon can EASILY be played around.

If you kill gengar with Poison, Crobat G's Flash Bite, Burn, or your own Gengar Prime/Gengar SF, Gengar SF does not get to use fainting spell. It's waaaaaaay to easy to play around Gengar. And, you're forgetting, they CAN FLIP TAILS. If you're so worried about them flipping heads, don't put yourself in that position.

Crobat G should not be banned. If you ban this, then you'd have to ban PokeBlower+, PlusPower, and Kingdra prime. -_-. It's 10 damage. Yes, it's the extra 10 for the donk/kill, but they still have cards to play around it. Expert Belt for extra HP, Snowpoint Temple. Honestly, you're going to get donked sometime, and there's nothing you can do about it. Not to mention Power Spray, and Mesprit, which both lock Crobat G up.

Team Galactic's Invention is the farthest away from broken I've ever seen. Point A: Deafen from Dialga G Lv. X locks them all up. Point B: Vileplume locks them up. Point C: Spiritomb locks them up. The only deck that's popular right now that can get around having all these trainers locked up is DialgaChomp, which is only 1 deck that is even REMOTELY close to being broken, and it gets pwnt by Machamp, and anything with any fire Pokémon that can attack at all in it, so it stilll isn't even close. There's nothing in our game ATM that deserves to be banned, there's just too much to do, and too easy to play around pretty much all of these effects.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Uxie. If you use Psychic Restore, and put Uxie to the bottom of your deck, Gengar doesn't get to use Fainting Spell if you kill it in this way.

I'd say no cards should be banned. TPO3 has it spot on how these cards can be played around. The rotation will kill all of these cards anyway.

Set Rotations will ban these cards eventually so there's really no point in banning them. I don't want Pokemon to go the way Yu-Gi-Oh! did when they banhammered cards like crazy. At least Pokemon is a balanced TCG unlike Yu-Gi-Oh! which has a track record of power creep that stagnated the game itself.

The only card that has the potential to get banned or errated is Lost World from Call of Legends. No other card in the ENTIRE TCG itself that is currently Modified Legal is banworthy. Until then I don't think it's broken cause there's already decks being built to counter well against it, then again we'll find out after States later this year to see how things go.

>>Card Slinger J is implying that Lost Zone cards are balanced
Yu-Gi-Oh bans and limits cards BECAUSE they are game-breaking. They ban/limit cards that easily cause OTKs and FTKs (Donks) and do the same thing for cards that give you massive field advantage. What does P!P do about completely game-changing cards like Lost World? Absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Pokefan4000 said:
>>Card Slinger J is implying that Lost Zone cards are balanced

Well before the release of the Lost Zone cards the Pokemon TCG was somewhat balanced, more so If you exclude SP's from the format but that's kinda stretching it I suppose. DP-On before Platinum Base Set was released was when the TCG wasn't as crazy as it is now. As for Yu-Gi-Oh! the majority of the best cards in the game are game breaking cause their was no cost or a use of a "resource system" to play them, Restricting cards to 1 per deck made the TCG more janky than being able to run 3-4 copies of a card per deck which is what helps make decks in TCG's consistent.

Restricting cards to 1 per deck makes it difficult to draw into what you need compared to the
odds of running 3-4 copies of a card per deck where your chances of drawing into that card are greatly increased depending on how your deck ratio is built. If you're not running a correct amount of specific cards in your deck you'll have a much difficult time drawing into what you need unless you run lots of search/tutors, and drawpower. Then again Search and Draw is alot of times the backbone of many TCG/CCG's as well as deck consistency.

There's a slight difference between Donks in Pokemon and OTK's in Yu-Gi-Oh! at least from what I understand, Donks in Pokemon are the result of both players only starting out with just 1 Basic Pokemon and whoever KO's the other Pokemon wins unless they bench another or If your Opponent is down to 1 last Pokemon while you have board advantage you win by KO'ing their last Pokemon.

OTK's in Yu-Gi-Oh! is the result of not being able to respond to a combo that is easily payed without the use of resources with an excessive amount of power creep in order to win. Yata-Lock a popular OTK combo back in the day, there was no way to get around it. Back then how would you have been able to search their deck to get rid of their Yata-Garasu to prevent them from getting their Lock off? I don't remember any cards back then that did that sort of thing like Haunting Echoes or Jester's Cap in Magic.

Sneasle UD. It's absolutely crazy man.

cwutididthere?

lolololol I so funny.
Nah, it was only broken back in the NG days.

But seriously now. None of the cards you mentioned there were really broken. The most broken card in this format is... well, there aren't any. Gust of WIN when it comes out (rereleased as Catcher) will be hecka broken with all the SPs still around. Its gonna be insane.

And then everyone will be playing VileGar.

^Gust of WIN! WOOT!

Imagine this:

Noob: I hope my Umbreon deck works today...

World Champ: I got newb pwnd!?!?!?

On Topic. If any card gets banned it should be Lost World, and even then we should wait until after states to think about that. We simply don't know how good it will be when played across the world. Because some one, some where [hopefully me ;P] is playing a deck that not only can beat that, but most other decks in the format. Resulting in an apoplytic end to the galaxy a states win that no one can realy understand.

I love pokemon catcher and hammer. If you want to play strategy vs donk, try using base - fossil. Play pokemon tcg on the gameboy color game.. Then you'll see the world some of us were stuck playing in.

sneasel is one of the few cards EVER banned in pokemon tcg (neogenesis) and is now reprinted cuz the metagame can handle it.

that in itself proves that cards aren't ever really broken. Slowking was also banned and I think the hgss one is almost the same.

^aaaaarg i hate that slowking. you run out of hand then they just control you...combine that with like sharpedo (i know it needs 2 coin flips but hey if it works...dang) and you can control everything they do. i dont really get why the sneasel was banned i havnt really looked into it but i dont see why it was banned. i think actually they should ban *braces for the hate* gengar prime. the first attack just seems way to powerful. there isnt really any way to get around the first attack unless you just dont have a hand or keep poke out of it and that doesnt really work eather.

I'm actually going to pair slowking with giratina x and glaceon x with RR as the base glace. Paired with rocket's trickery and cyrus's initiative. Evil much? I like to think so. Draw back: super slow.

Lost World, for sure. Why the hell do they make a card that only Gengar Prime (post-rotation, and even before that there's just Palkia G) can use? If there was a card that made Steelix Prime's Gaia Crush cost only 3 energy I bet a lot of people would be raging, yet that's not as imbalanced as essentially drawing 1 prize per energy (Hurl into Darkness).

Luxray GL LV.X, Garchomp C LV.X, Pokemon Catcher (when it comes out), and Vileplume. Oh, and Slowking HGSS for good measure.
Seriously guys, stop raging.
OTK's in Yu-Gi-Oh! is the result of not being able to respond to a combo that is easily payed without the use of resources with an excessive amount of power creep in order to win. Yata-Lock a popular OTK combo back in the day, there was no way to get around it. Back then how would you have been able to search their deck to get rid of their Yata-Garasu to prevent them from getting their Lock off? I don't remember any cards back then that did that sort of thing like Haunting Echoes or Jester's Cap in Magic.
Strictly speaking, Yata-Lock is not an OTK. It just creates a lock by which it's impossible to escape, and that's why Yata-Garasu got kicked out. (It is possible to use the combo with Sky Scourge Norleras instead of CED, but CED is just so out there anyway that it was only fitting it got kicked out as well.) And usually, every time a prominent OTK or FTK strategy shows up that has no real way for the opponent to answer, key cards in that strategy get either limited or banned. Common examples include Magical Explosion, Magical Scientist, and Substitoad. (I won't explain those in depth here; you can look them up at your leisure.) That standardly just applies for the cards that give the combo the most power, leaving the other ones alone (for example, there is nothing overly broken about Catapult Turtle OR Tuningware).

Just sit back and enjoy the tournament.

SP pokemon aren't broken by themselves and have obvious drawbacks, but that doesn't mean much when you have BDIF trainers which are exclusive only to them. Poke Turn eliminates the skill of healing and retreating pokemon, if you don't get a 1HK0, you know the very next turn they'll just poke turn Garchomp C, promote a fresh one, level him up, energy gain+DCE FTW.
Were you around during the EX Team Rocket Returns era, or even the Holon era, you would have probably said the same thing about those cards. (Not to mention Gardevoir SW!)

DNA said:
Were you around during the EX Team Rocket Returns era, or even the Holon era, you would have probably said the same thing about those cards. (Not to mention Gardevoir SW!)

I started playing Pokemon during the Early to Mid Diamond/Pearl era about three years ago. I've heard stuff about Gradevoir SW but yeah copying Supporters does seem pretty borderline especially when we already have Smeargle UD and Sableye SF which do a similiar function but as a Basic instead of a Stage 2 Pokemon.

DNA said:
And usually, every time a prominent OTK or FTK strategy shows up that has no real way for the opponent to answer, key cards in that strategy get either limited or banned.

Cards getting Restricted to 1 per deck or "Limited" like I said earlier just creates inconsistencies in deck building that makes it much harder to achieve what the deck is supposed to do. It would've been better to errata instead of limit cards to 1 per deck then again Luxury Ball was limited for a good reason that's justified however in Yu-Gi-Oh!'s case it isn't due to power creep and a lack of a resource system.

DNA said:
Luxray GL LV.X, Garchomp C LV.X, Pokemon Catcher (when it comes out), and Vileplume. Oh, and Slowking HGSS for good measure.
Seriously guys, stop raging.

Luxray GL Lv. X is just cheap but it's counterable with Donphan Prime so really it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. Garchomp C Lv. X, well that card is just fast plain and simple. Pokemon Catcher is well, pretty good I'd say for the most part it is the Gust of Wind reprint afterall how could it fail?

As with the case of Vileplume UD it's needed to help tech against the Cyrus Engine in SP decks that abuse their Trainers like crazy and it's put a positive impact on the meta in terms of having something against SP's, Slowking HGSS can be downright cruel If you play it right, play a Judge and then Second Sight to manipulate their draws, even worse with Chatot G with Poke Turn but who'd do that?

@ neo candy, recently became a member of the storms, so play testing will come soon :)
plus I've got some secret sniping tech that 2 hit KO's vileplume while it's benched. And another tech that does winders for switching out actives. I do however need seekers instead of ssu in there, haven't pulled any :(

Sableye SF, seriously? This card is so ridiculously overpowered, it is the main reason why donks are a problem, but people blame Rare Candy. Poketurn, I have nothing against it, but it is seriously overpowered, at least make it require a coin flip or something.

sneasel was banned cuz it had 60 hp which was standard back then, no weakness, resistance to psychic -30, free retreat, and could do up to 140 damage turn 2. Back then nothing had over 120 hp. Oh, and everything was also slower. Unless they had 4 erika and 4 bill in their decks :p

Back