Underrated games

catutie said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOO I LURVE APE ESCAPE. I have 2 and 3 and beat them both multiple times :3

YAAAAAY! Another person who plays them! :D Ha ha. Those games own. Ape Escape 3 took me like forever to beat though so I've only played through it like twice. I'm glad they finally made a new one for Playstation move!

To explain

Ape Escape

The beginning of the series. It was Japanese only but then later re-released to the US in English. I didn't know many that actually had this game and I have never played it...but if it's anything like the other it's pretty awesome

Ape Escape 2

I'm surprised that this game didn't sell more than it did....this is a great game. This is my favorite of the ones I have played. There is so much to get and to explore. The levels start out simple and small but soon become huge and complex. The gadgets are unique and all different, there isn't too much character depth....but it's not too needed. All you know is that you have to catch all the monkeys and beat Specter. The premise is an easy one and the game is fun to play...nothing more than that.

Ape Escape 3

I didn't like this game as much. They brought in morphs which have you transform into different things in order to aid you in your quest to once again catch all the monkeys and defeat Specter. This time they take over the TV and anyone that watches is hypnotized by how stupid the programs are....ya....that's the lead in. So you go onto multiple broadcasting sets and take down the programs by...well catching all the monkeys. It was similar to the second one but...I didn't like it as much. You get a little more background on who Specter is and some back story on some of the characters so I guess there is a little more depth but it still seems inferior to the second game.

There were many MANY other Ape Escape games and I have only played 3 of them...

Ape Escape: Pumped and Primed

I don't remember this game that much but I remember owning it and it was fun. Now that I read the game play I do kind of remember it. I remember it being a minigame type game that used all of the gadgets in order for you to succeed in your minigame. It was fun to battle if I recall and it was a very good party game...

Transformers: War for Cybertron. I put so many hours in this game, it was so much fun, with some pretty good balanced gameplay, at least when compared to how broken some weapons or perks in CoD or most popular shooters these days. If it wasn't for Halo: Reach and Black Ops coming out in the same year, then it would probably have lived longer and gotten some recognition.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to Fall of Cybertron, which is in the same position since Halo 4 and the next CoD is being released in the same year.

The Sly Cooper trilogy.

SOMEBODY RECOGNIZE THEM D:

...fine. The first game are about a raccoon thief named Sly Cooper. He's on a quest to find a book passed down through his family, containing their thieving secrets. Along the way, he beats down stylish bosses with his stylin' cane to get various pages of the book, all containing a new technique. The game is fast paced and stealthy, and you feel like a total BA pickpocketing guards, pulling off tricky jumps, and solving puzzles. Think Zelda meets Mario meets Metal Gear. And guess who made it? SUCKA PAUNCH, THE iNFAMOUS GUYS

A new one is in development, but it's from a different publisher. It looks just as good, if not better then the originals.

woops I meant infamous :L

Starboard Driger said:
The Sly Cooper trilogy.

...fine. The first game are about a raccoon thief named Sly Cooper. He's on a quest to find a book passed down through his family, containing their thieving secrets. Along the way, he beats down stylish bosses with his stylin' cane to get various pages of the book, all containing a new technique. The game is fast paced and stealthy, and you feel like a total BA pickpocketing guards, pulling off tricky jumps, and solving puzzles. Think Zelda meets Mario meets Metal Gear. And guess who made it? SUCKA PAUNCH, THE iNFAMOUS GUYS

A new one is in development, but it's from a different publisher. It looks just as good, if not better then the originals.

OMAH GAWD,its lovely to see another individual whom plays the series.I recall playing both 2 and 3 back in 2004/2005 when the two were released in their respective year.I grew fond of them and they remain amongst my favorite of game franchises.I also found it to be a unique entry on the PS2,the concept of playing through a game as an anthropomorphic raccoon whom also bears traits as a thief was lure I couldn't resist.

The stealth and action sequences boded well throughout the two games,the wonderous enviornments as well as clever storyline is what in my opinion,truly allowed such stellar titles to become the masterpieces they currently are.

However this,I found Disgaea 4;A promise Unforgotten to be an addicting romp.However,I am uncertain if it is indeed underrated,as it is rather popular in Japan,yet less so in America and recieves little recognition outside from its genre,it is perplexing to discerne a possible answer to that question,however,Disgaea 4 is, as aforementioned,a very addicting SRPG/TRPG (Strategy Role-Playing Game/Tactical Role-Playing Game) with an inumerable amount of content and quest to fulfill and complete.

You know what? I actually think the Metroid series is quite underrated. Sure, the games are popular, but not nearly as popular as, let's say The Legend of Zelda, and in my opininon the series is amazing enough to deserve that level of popularity.

It's rather funny considering its 25th anniversary was also last year. LoZ is just a bigger name with more success. Metroid, on the other hand, is not (don't get me wrong here; samus is a huge symbol in the gaming world. she's just not as huge as link or mario).

I loved the older Metroid games and the Prime series, but sadly Metroid hasn't really been doing great recently.

ejcomic445.png

TDL said:
It's rather funny considering its 25th anniversary was also last year. LoZ is just a bigger name with more success. Metroid, on the other hand, is not (don't get me wrong here; samus is a huge symbol in the gaming world. she's just not as huge as link or mario).

I loved the older Metroid games and the Prime series, but sadly Metroid hasn't really been doing great recently.

I haven't played any of the Metroid games but I heard Other M sucked because of the character change in Samus....

Hmmmm I had another one...I always had weird games that everyone just said "What the heck is that game" and I just say "OH MAH GAWD ITS SO FUN." I....can't....remember...what...it...was

Ahhhh now I remember

Jak and Daxter

You may have heard of this one. I remember this game and it's sequel quite well. There is a reason why it was over looked though...Rachet and Clank. This game is quite similar. Maybe not the wide variety of weapons but the graphics were similar and the style was also very close. Now Rachet and Clank took off...this game...stayed in Rachet and Clank's shadow. It was a fun adventure and platforming game with interesting characters and as I remember was semi difficult thus resulting in a challenging yet fun game. Jak 2 was an amazing sequel that added more elements and was much better. I never got Jak 3 or what ever that last one is but I can tell you that the first and second game are awesome.

I say Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.
I know its not as popular as it used to be, and its very underrated now.
I LOVE the game, I still have it and I still play it OVER and OVER.

^ Awesome game. I used to have it when I was six, and try to give my pokemon cool names. I tried to name my Jolteon "Flamebolt", but it came out as "PhlamBolte" :p

Card Slinger J said:
* The Onimusha series by Capcom
* Dragon Quest
* Dragonball Online
* Perfect Dark
Dragon quest is fun. I have Joker 2.

Starboard Driger said:
The Sly Cooper trilogy.

...You hurt me. you hurt me alot. The Sly Cooper games are not underrated. In fact, kids around my area adore Sly. As do many other people around the country and some parts of Japan. so you can kiss your post good bye!
I take it that I am a huge Sly fan.

Anyways, I had many games that I don't think made the cut. One of them is titled: Over the Hedge. The Video Game.
The movie Over the Hedge is now a game on the PS2, Gamecube, ect. This game came out in what I think was late 2006. It's like a sequal, but with a Video Game twist. And the whole plot is stealing food for themselfs in order to thrive like people. You also have the same cast of characters in the motion picture. And when I say 'Characters' I mean Voice Actors. There was mini games where I'd play the heck out of them by myself. And the enviorments were nice.
The only thing wrong was the ending. It was weird. Nothing Like the movie.

Shiny Umbreon, out.

Operation Darkness.
A 3d Tactics RPG for xbox 360 that is basically hitler and his vampires/undead zombies fighting the werewolves of london, set in a quasi-historical WW2 setting.

It has hitler riding saddled on the back of a gigantic dragon as one of the bosses, what more needs to be said???

Seriously though, it is a pretty addictive tactics game, I highly recommend it. (that and it only costs about 7.99 used at gamestop)

pics
OperationDarkness_Series_01.jpg

24630_normal.jpg

82442-operation-darkness-header.jpg

operation-darkness.jpg

operation-darkness-screens-20080506092449436_640w.jpg

shiny umbreon said:
...You hurt me. you hurt me alot. The Sly Cooper games are not underrated. In fact, kids around my area adore Sly. As do many other people around the country and some parts of Japan. so you can kiss your post good bye!

huh

Gamespy's 25 most underrated games of all time list, it ranks #5. IGN said it too. I mean just google it, it is the very definition of an underrated game. And in Japan, the third game wasn't even released. Also,

a lot*

I think you misunderstand. When I say a game is underrated, it means it does not get as much attention as it should, not that the game is bad. In fact, Sly's gotta be in my top 10 games list, no, top 5. God I love that series <3

shiny umbreon said:

Anyways, I had many games that I don't think made the cut. One of them is titled: Over the Hedge. The Video Game.
The movie Over the Hedge is now a game on the PS2, Gamecube, etc. This game came out in what I think was late 2006. It's like a sequal, but with a Video Game twist. And the whole plot is stealing food for themselfs in order to thrive like people. You also have the same cast of characters in the motion picture. And when I say 'Characters' I mean Voice Actors. There was mini games where I'd play the heck out of them by myself. And the enviorments were nice.
The only thing wrong was the ending. It was weird. Nothing Like the movie.

Shiny Umbreon, out.

SU....Sly is underrated. If you go to anyone that grew up with the PS2...they will look at you and go "What game is this now?" When it was the PS2 and Gamecube dueling it out...(I had both) I had never EVER heard of Sly. I didn't hear about sly till about last year when my friend and I went to Gamestop and he goes "OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS GAME" and he put it in my face and I just said "What is that?" and he explained everything to me...ya...underrated.

surix said:
Operation Darkness.
A 3d Tactics RPG for xbox 360 that is basically hitler and his vampires/undead zombies fighting the werewolves of london, set in a quasi-historical WW2 setting.

It has hitler riding saddled on the back of a gigantic dragon as one of the bosses, what more needs to be said???

Seriously though, it is a pretty addictive tactics game, I highly recommend it. (that and it only costs about 7.99 used at gamestop)

pics
OperationDarkness_Series_01.jpg

24630_normal.jpg

82442-operation-darkness-header.jpg

operation-darkness.jpg

operation-darkness-screens-20080506092449436_640w.jpg

Hitler on the back of a dragon?! Oh goodness....sounds like the best game ever created.

Let me pull a game out of a hat....ummmmm Superman 64! I mean come on it's like...the best game ever. Look at that difficulty level...HARDCORE (I own a copy of the game...got it for .99 cents...still spent to much on it...)

Crash Bandicoot

Let me explain...this IS an underrated game. With how bad the recent games are (they started sucking once the racing games came out. The one with Crash and Cortex as a team was an awesome game but after that....I don't even want to talk about it.) The series has acquired a bad name. I mention this one because no one really recognizes the old ones unless they played it. Warped is probably my favorite PS1 game of all time. The Dinosaur levels are the funnest levels ever and the idea of a chase level has never really been matched for me. It used to be an amazing series but then they changed developers and it sucked BADLY. Here's to remembering one of the most awesome series ever.

I will share a bit of my DS insider knowledge...

1. Bangai-O Spirits (DS):
In my opinion the best DS game. Yes - the very BEST. And nobody seems to have heared of it. The level editor makes it perfect.

2. The World Ends with You (DS)
Not that underrated, but still pretty unknow. The second best DS game, along with Pokémon.

3. 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors (DS)
Well, ok. It sold out. But it is still pretty unknow, at least in Europe (it didn't get an EU release). A visual novel with an intriguing mysterious story.
"Nine people have been abducted by a mysterious kidnapper who uses the alias "Zero." They find themselves on a ship— possibly a replica of the RMS Titanic and are told that they have nine hours to escape before the ship sinks beneath the waves. Zero is running the "Nonary Game" - a game "where you will put your life on the line." The group is forced to split up into various subgroups and explore "numbered doors," behind which lie Zero's puzzles. Zero promises that escape lies behind a door numbered [9]. The characters must work together despite suspicions of each other to advance, as well as to discover Zero's motive and identity." - Wikipedia

4. Big Bang Mini (DS)
This game is so beautiful. If you like arcade even a little bit, this is a must get! Please watch this review.

5. N+ (DS)
Not the very best DS game, but definitely great and worth getting. A really hard platformer. Also features a level editor!

UmbraESP said:
Dragon quest is fun. I have Joker 2.
Dragon Quest =/= Dragon Quest Monsters! Monsters is a spin-off!

Back