Underrated games

Typhlosionwolf said:
YAAAAAY! Another person who plays them! :D Ha ha. Those games own. Ape Escape 3 took me like forever to beat though so I've only played through it like twice. I'm glad they finally made a new one for Playstation move!

When I was little my uncle and I would spend hoursntrying to catch all the monkeys and who xould forget the soccer minigame

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned spyro the dragon!! When I was 2 my dad and I practickly spent all our time together plYing that and crash bandicoot. Spyromstarted getting terrible as soon as they released new beginning and skylanders isn't that great. It is sad crash bandicoot hasn't had a good game in a while.

Alright, not enough said. Time to add one more to the list.

Avalon Code for the Nintendo DS.

What might look like any other DS RPG has hidden treasures within. The game has a basic premise; the world is about to end. You are chosen to construct the new world and determine who is carried onto the new world. How do you do that? With a big book called the Book of Prophecy. Once you whack things with that big book of yours, it opens up a profile of that thing that can be accessed on the touch screen. But that isn't all...everything you record in the Book of Prophecy has their own code, represented by several different symbols. These codes make up the attributes of the being you recorded, and you can rearrange these codes at will. Let's say you're having a hard time fighting off a goblin. You whack it with your book and analyze its code, only to notice that it has a lot of stone codes (which increase HP). Taking them off and putting them somewhere else can help you defeat the goblins. Not only that, but you can take illness codes and place them into the code of the goblin, weakening them even further. This may seem very abusable at first, and it sort of is...however, this can't just be applied to enemies. You apply them to weapons, armor, even people to change them and solve puzzles. This means the attributes of everything are essentially customizable, letting you make the game as easy or as hard as you want. Admittedly, it's pretty easy (It doesn't exactly help t hat the 1st weapon blueprint you get can carry you 1/3 of the way into the game), you can miss a lot, and it's quite cliche at times, but the end product is very satisfying and will leave you feeling, "Wow...they really put a lot of effort into this game".

I recommend a playthrough for anybody who owns a DS.

Mario, Link, and Pokemon are the most known games in the world. But other games that Nintendo made aren't that popular. Fire Emblem is Nintendo's greatest creation.The best game(s) ever.(Except the DS one, that one kind a stunk...) And probably their most underrated game.

Teal said:
I will share a bit of my DS insider knowledge...

1. Bangai-O Spirits (DS):
In my opinion the best DS game. Yes - the very BEST. And nobody seems to have heared of it. The level editor makes it perfect.

2. The World Ends with You (DS)
Not that underrated, but still pretty unknow. The second best DS game, along with Pokémon.

3. 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors (DS)
Well, ok. It sold out. But it is still pretty unknow, at least in Europe (it didn't get an EU release). A visual novel with an intriguing mysterious story.
"Nine people have been abducted by a mysterious kidnapper who uses the alias "Zero." They find themselves on a ship— possibly a replica of the RMS Titanic and are told that they have nine hours to escape before the ship sinks beneath the waves. Zero is running the "Nonary Game" - a game "where you will put your life on the line." The group is forced to split up into various subgroups and explore "numbered doors," behind which lie Zero's puzzles. Zero promises that escape lies behind a door numbered [9]. The characters must work together despite suspicions of each other to advance, as well as to discover Zero's motive and identity." - Wikipedia

4. Big Bang Mini (DS)
This game is so beautiful. If you like arcade even a little bit, this is a must get! Please watch this review.

5. N+ (DS)
Not the very best DS game, but definitely great and worth getting. A really hard platformer. Also features a level editor!

Dragon Quest =/= Dragon Quest Monsters! Monsters is a spin-off!

Big Bang Mini is semi frustrating. My little bro had the game (He is 5...) and he always made me play it when it got too hard. UGH that last level is a PAIN. I'm not saying it's a bad game...it's just....hard

cf11 said:
When I was little my uncle and I would spend hoursntrying to catch all the monkeys and who xould forget the soccer minigame

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned spyro the dragon!! When I was 2 my dad and I practickly spent all our time together plYing that and crash bandicoot. Spyromstarted getting terrible as soon as they released new beginning and skylanders isn't that great. It is sad crash bandicoot hasn't had a good game in a while.

LOOOOOOLLLLLL many hours have been wasted on Monkey Soccer on Ape Escape 2

I....hate....the Spyro games or I would have mentioned it. It's a tedious game to me. You can't beat something? You can't get that one part just right? Well too bad you have to beat it no matter what in order to continue. I played Enter the Dragonfly and it just frustrated me. The flying missions?! My god...you have to get that thing down to the second in order to beat it. You can't get that one Dragonfly? Well too bad you HAVE to get it in order to have enough to go to the next level. I don't know...I guess it's just my o pinion but I hate HATE that game. I beat 1 Spyro game. I can't remember which one but I even hated that game. I was like 8 when I had it and I remember almost quitting and breaking a controller because of that game...as I said maybe it's just me...but I hate those games.

I can't find a link to the exact page BUUUUUT

Space Invaders (Nintendo 64)

I....LOVED this game. It was a good revamp of the original game and the special weapons were awesome. It was also a pretty hard game. Nothing too much to say other than it's Space Invaders.

catutie said:
Big Bang Mini is semi frustrating. My little bro had the game (He is 5...) and he always made me play it when it got too hard. UGH that last level is a PAIN. I'm not saying it's a bad game...it's just....hard
If you are hit once you die, and if you are hit it's your own fault. :p It's fair. And challenging. You have some special powers on the later stages to protect yourself, did you know about them?

What....there was things to protect you?! ;_; I just moved that thing around on the touch screen constantly and shot when ever I could....so...hard...

Another underrated tactics RPG is Kartia - The World of Fate for playstation. With character art by Yoshitaka Amano (final fantasy 4/5/6, vampire hunter d) it's very enjoyable to follow the story scenes, the water-colored portraits add personality and emotion to the characters before you even read a line of their dialog. The game uses a rock paper scissors type of circle of weakness/resistance with three types of Kartia(magic) monsters, which you recruit (create actually) to fight for you as your front lines. You can also create spells from Kartia by following recipes using certain types of Kartia. Adding custom ingredients might add a hidden effect to your spell.

kartia2.jpg

936full-kartia%3A-the-word-of-fate-screenshot.jpg

600full-kartia%3A-the-word-of-fate-screenshot.jpg

No More Heroes
Not enough praise, both games were funny and fun to play time and time again.

Deadly Premonition
Among fans of SWERY, these people will know this game all too well and understand why this game is so good. Best plot in any game I have played, gameplay mimicks the classic survival horror in being tank controlls and clunky aiming. The graphics are the only thing wrong with it, this is only because of it's low budget. Very few games nowadays can say they have a 20 hour story with an extra 200 side quests to finish, with a sitcom like cast.

I'm gonna go a little old school here.

Shin Megami Tensei, in NA and Europe is seriously underrated. Very rare games, unbelievable story, produced by Atlas. 3rd most popular RPG in Japan, not anywhere else which is depressing. The Persona games got a lot of attention but not the main story games like the first two on the SNES and the third, Nocturne on the PS2. Devil Survivor is on the DS and has one of the best character developments of anything I have played read or seen, SMT just naturally does that, it's plot build is fantastic. Shin Megami Tensei is the one RPG (especially Devil Survivor) I would rate over ma Pokemanz.

shin_megami_tensei_devil_survivor_f.jpg

Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

Soulblazer I recently finished is wonderfull. I never see anyone talking about it or playing it nowadays.

I could name about, 30 more and give explanations for each. I just don't have the will at the moment.

I am disappointed in myself for not mentioning what is quite possibly my favorite game ever. If not, it is number 2, without a shadow of a doubt. Ladies and gentlemen, THE most underrated game of all time (not an opinion):

Okami

This is a masterpiece. Why? Let's start with the story. This is the best story out of any game I've experienced. It's grand from the very beginning to the very end. The music? My god, don't talk about it. It's beautiful. The best out of any game I've ever played. Gameplay? Think Twilight Princess. Yes, it's just as good, if not better. Graphics? Best art style out of any game, ever. the only game that can even compare is Skyward Sword.

Yeah. Everything about this game is best. If you have a Wii or PS2, BUY THIS.

Next, we have another sadly underrated gem.

Battalion Wars

This is everything you love about third person shooters, without everything you hate about them. Are they too "gritty"? Well, the graphics on this game are very clear and lighthearted, almost chibi (I apologize, for lack of a better word). And this is by no means a kiddy game; it's got another thing you wish third person shooters had: strategy. It's a spinoff (of sorts) of the Advance Wars series, sooo... yeah. I'm actually running out of time to talk about this, so gotta go cya

Yup, Ookami is godlike (see what I did there?), you you should really get it!
@Delta: Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor... it is pretty good BUT it has its faults. I didn't know that I have to grind hard to be able to play it. At some point I just began to loose against a specific battle (not even a boss one), and no matter what I did I could not win. Nice... I battle for an hour and loose no matter what I do because the enemy is overpowered. No possibility to grind anywhere else with weaker enimies. Stuck forever, the tale of me playing that game stopped there. Very frustrating... the story seemed so interesting... damn.

Shin Megami Tensei has always been hard, it does require a lot of thought, heck on hard, Nocturne is the hardest game I have played.

It's ok if it is hard, but it shouldn't be impossible. There should be an opportunity to grind. :(

don()shinobi said:
The Tales series. Enough said.

*Double fist-bump* I hear ya'. If Xillia isn't released in US, I will kill something. :> I've actually never played all the way through any of the games, though even the first third of Vesperia tells me that the series is underrated. At least the fanbase isn't non-existent, there's still plenty of popularity, just not enough.

Teal said:
I will share a bit of my DS insider knowledge...

2. The World Ends with You (DS)
Not that underrated, but still pretty unknow. The second best DS game, along with Pokémon.

3. 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors (DS)
Well, ok. It sold out. But it is still pretty unknow, at least in Europe (it didn't get an EU release). A visual novel with an intriguing mysterious story.
"Nine people have been abducted by a mysterious kidnapper who uses the alias "Zero." They find themselves on a ship— possibly a replica of the RMS Titanic and are told that they have nine hours to escape before the ship sinks beneath the waves. Zero is running the "Nonary Game" - a game "where you will put your life on the line." The group is forced to split up into various subgroups and explore "numbered doors," behind which lie Zero's puzzles. Zero promises that escape lies behind a door numbered [9]. The characters must work together despite suspicions of each other to advance, as well as to discover Zero's motive and identity." - Wikipedia

lolwut? TWEWY and 999 are both cult classics. The games have sold out countless times, and almost everyone knows about them if they have internet and a DS. They have both received a ton of attention, even though in TWEWY's case a lot of it isn't good. "trollolo they keel da animals, BAD GAME, BAD!!1!" They do both deserve more attention, but they're definitely not underrated.

Starboard Driger said:
I am disappointed in myself for not mentioning what is quite possibly my favorite game ever. If not, it is number 2, without a shadow of a doubt. Ladies and gentlemen, THE most underrated game of all time (not an opinion):

Okami

This is a masterpiece. Why? Let's start with the story. This is the best story out of any game I've experienced. It's grand from the very beginning to the very end. The music? My god, don't talk about it. It's beautiful. The best out of any game I've ever played. Gameplay? Think Twilight Princess. Yes, it's just as good, if not better. Graphics? Best art style out of any game, ever. the only game that can even compare is Skyward Sword.

Yeah. Everything about this game is best. If you have a Wii or PS2, BUY THIS.

Okami (again) has a ton of attention, and even more-so after Chuggaa played it. And everything good is as good as Twilight Princess, so that's not the best comparison haha. I think that this game has already left its underrated phase, and is now a known game. Maybe not as much as you think it should be, but it's definitely not underrated.

I think that Radiant Historia (DS) is underrated, though with HCBailly playing it, it has een rising in popularity. Just look at Amazon's price!

SotS said:
Okami (again) has a ton of attention, and even more-so after Chuggaa played it. And everything good is as good as Twilight Princess, so that's not the best comparison haha. I think that this game has already left its underrated phase, and is now a known game. Maybe not as much as you think it should be, but it's definitely not underrated.

who is this chugga you speak of

*googles*

Oh, this LP guy. Maybe I used the wrong word, "underplayed" would suffice better. Many people haven't played it, but it was rated well and has a colossal following, so yeah that was definitely the wrong word.

But if you mean Twilight Princess isn't particularly great...

...gotta agree with you there

/me runs

Underplayed I can agree with. Though I'm helping with that.. I know the game, love the game, don't own the game, nor have I ever played it. But I played Okamiden. That counts as helping, right? And I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't really like Twilight Princess. It's definitely a good game, but my expectations weren't really met. At least Skyward Sword fixed that.

And the irony of it all is the more I talk about TP, the more I want to play it again.

SotS said:
lolwut? TWEWY and 999 are both cult classics. The games have sold out countless times, and almost everyone knows about them if they have internet and a DS. They have both received a ton of attention, even though in TWEWY's case a lot of it isn't good. "trollolo they keel da animals, BAD GAME, BAD!!1!" They do both deserve more attention, but they're definitely not underrated.
No you are wrong, many people have not heared of TWEwY. It has got pretty much attention on the Internet, but not by the general public. Considering how good it is, it should have gotten as much attention as a Mario game, so it is very underrated. Not underrated by those who have played it, but underrated by general measurements. (I know like 20 people with DS:s and only one of them has played it.) You are taking the topic name too seriously.
As I said, 999 was commercially sucessful (as TWEwY), BUT it didn't get an EU release, so almost nobody over here knows it which makes it underrated, eh. ;P I don't get how it's possible that it wasn't released here...

Why don't people like TP!? I don't get it. D: It's great. <3

Teal said:
Why don't people like TP!? I don't get it. D: It's great. <3

I don't get it either

If they came out with TWEWY 2 I would have no clue what that is...heck...I had to google TWEWY to figure out what it was...and I own a DS. It's underrated...face it

I'm going to have to go the Capcom way and say the Phoenix Wright trilogy and Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. They have great story lines and gameplay, and yet no one bought them when they came out. Little Kings Story and Tatsunoko V.S Capcom on the Wii as well. Little Kings Story is worth getting for anyone who enjoys Pikmin, Animal Crossing, or total world domination, while Tatsunoko V.S Capcom should be played by anyone who enjoys a good fighting game. I'm also a huge Cave Story fan (3D or not), and anyone who enjoys physics puzzles should try World of Goo, which I believe you can get on the app store now. My mind is running dry, but I'll think of some more later.

Teal said:
It's ok if it is hard, but it shouldn't be impossible. There should be an opportunity to grind. :(

You should play other mega-tens, you will soon see why that is the case.
It's not hard as in "here are a load of higher level enemies than you" but hard as in...you have to carefully think about what you are doing and if that action results in putting you in a beneficial place that gives you multiple options in the next round. Devil Survivor portrays this very well by having a tactical battleground, a large skill tree containing 3 different categories and high level enemies.

Back