Underrated games

16257-zack-and-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure.png

Incredible point-and-click puzzle game. Despite receiving rave reviews, it never sold well and you probably have never heard of it. But if you ever see it in the bargain bin, pick it up and give it a whirl.

Captain Oats said:
Space Station Silicon Valley for the N64. Absolutely wonderful game, but next to nobody I know has even heard of it. Extremely addictive and fun gameplay, and very glitchy.
The game looks like it could have been made by Rare Ltd's goofy cousin, and I mean that in a good way. It has somewhat of a Banjo-Kazooie-esque gamestyle to it, bright and colorful landscapes with cleverly designed worlds and fun enemies. The plot is simple, but it gets the job done, while still being intriguing enough, and let's you experience a very unique kind of game that I, at least, haven't seen very often. You crash on a space station inhabited by an array of robotic animals across a myriad of different habitats and you have to complete a number of different tasks that ultimately lead you to your goal of saving the earth. You play primarily as a computer chip that can control any of these animals that have been deactivated, so you are constantly switching between them as they each have specific abilities (flight, swimming, carrying something, etc) that let you do whatever it is you need to. It's just a feel good video game that never gets old. You can pick it up for about $5, and I promise you won't be disappointed.

I've heard of it! Great game, shame about that glitch preventing you from collecting one of the trophies though.

I got Zack & Wiki free during a buy-2-get-1-free a few weeks ago; definitively would have paid full price. The Capcom cameos and bit of a design to allow for friends to help really make it shine.

Excitebots: Trick-Racing, my favorite racing game of all time, and simply just one of my favorite games, I always did extrememly well, so my cousins would never wanted to play me :0 And it sold horribly, most likely thanks to poor advertising and a 3rd Party Looking boxart .-. But that doesn't take away from the expierience I had with the awesome gambling of the online races, I recommend it to everyone :)

superpokemon67 said:
I'm going to have to go the Capcom way and say the Phoenix Wright trilogy
Ok, now I really have to disagree. Phoenix Wright is extremely popular, the games sold extremely well and they are very known (heck, they even aired PW commercials in at least Germany). So Phoenix Wright is not underrated, but they are real gems for sure, and every DS owner should play them!

Teal said:
Ok, now I really have to disagree. Phoenix Wright is extremely popular, the games sold extremely well and they are very known (heck, they even aired PW commercials in at least Germany). So Phoenix Wright is not underrated, but they are real gems for sure, and every DS owner should play them!

I'd change this to Wii owner. Each game is 1000 points, and episode 5 is 100 points. In total, that's a little bit more than one of the DS games. If you don't mind motion and buttons instead of microphone and touch screen, scrolling backgrounds all the time, and pixellation due to blowing the screens up to the size of a TV, they're fairly good ports.

We need more unheard of games all up in here.

Pokemon Card GB2:

Wikipedia said:
Pokémon Card GB2: Great Rocket-Dan Sanjō! (ポケモンカードGB2 GR団参上! Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team Great Rocket!?), released March 28, 2001,[16] is the Japanese-exclusive sequel to the original Pokémon Trading Card Game, also for the Game Boy Color. Like its predecessor, the game was developed by Hudson Soft and published by Nintendo, and was first announced in January 2001 by Japanese website WatchImpress.[17] It includes new enhancements such as the ability to play as a female character named Mint, a training mode to help new players, a Deck Diagnosis to rate the effectiveness of a player's deck, and a new group of antagonists known as Team Great Rocket.[17] The game features all cards from the original game, along with new cards from the fourth set, Team Rocket, as well as cards originally exclusive to Japanese vending machines and the Pokémon Trading Card Game Instructional Video Intro Pack, bringing the total number of cards to 445.

Like the previous title, players must travel across the game world challenging non-player characters to simulated battles using rules adopted from the original tabletop version. All locations from the original are present, along with a new setting known as GR Island which contains its own Battle Masters for players to encounter. By defeating a total of 16 Battle Masters on the old and new islands, players may challenge the game's final boss, King Biruritchi. Though an English release in North America was deemed "likely" by website IGN in 2001, the game has not been made available outside of Japan.[17]

Wait what the...a Pokemon game?! Well it's very...um....not known by most people that don't live in Japan that there was a second Pokemon Trading Card Game. Remember that awesome GB Color game that was the perfect Pokemon TCG game? Well they made a sequel to this amazing game....but it never left Japan. I have played a English translated game and it was actually really good and really fun. It's basically the first game with more cards...well at least to me. If you could get it I would but most likely....you can't.

Not really underrated if not possible to get, duh. :p Yeah I have read about it. Sad story. I want it.

Does no-one emulate anymore?

Also 4-swords-adventures. Not enough people playing this game.

Delta said:
Does no-one emulate anymore?

Also 4-swords-adventures. Not enough people playing this game.

I played it that way. I found an english dubbed version and played my heart out....I have since lost the file ;_;

I'm sure you can get it somewhere but 1 it would be expensive and 2 you need to know Japanese to play it ;_;

Counter Strike Source

Incredibly awesome. It is a shoot-em-up game but you need a Steam account to play online otherwise you create a server and play against the computer.

P.S It is for the PC :p

Ready for it?

Elite Beat Agents

You like music games? Well this game is perfect, I liken it to DDR but with a touch screen. The more on time you tap to the note is the more points you will get. Also if you are bad at a song the outcome will change. The link says the story is really good but I may have to disagree. You go around and help people and find out there individual stories and then the end is an awesome climax of everyone you have helped. The songs used are some what well known but some you may have never heard of. It's pretty addicting and some what challenging (;_; Last level is so hard....). It's a really good and fun music game.

swlrox said:
Counter Strike Source

Counter Strike underrated?
Hmmm...

I'd take obscurity into account so I am gonna say the very first Clocktower for the SNES. Quite possibly the earliest example of a game setting a perfect tone of horror. Sequels were later released in North America but none came anywhere near as good as the Japanese only release. I'm serious, this game rivals early Silent Hill in atmosphere. You forget how effectively creepy dropping all music and sound in one room can be. 5 minutes in and I jumped out my skin, it's incredible how such an old game can be this well made. It's also one of those games that have many nice little touches, if you ever play this game, make sure you pay attention to them.

I have three.

1- super princess peach
It's a shame more people don't know about this game; basically, bowser imprisons mario and luigi, and a pissed off peach goes to his summer house in vibe island with a talking umbrella, gains emotional powers, awsomeness ensues. The game certainly has flaws, it's too easy, the story is very watered down, with some loose ends (still more development than a regular mario platformer), but the concept is brilliant, and the gameplay is really fun, with more strategy and ways to face enemies than the regular mario games. The fact that this game wasn't well known will keep peach relegated to the "stupid princess" role in the pop culture collective. No, it's not a shame more people don't know about this game... it's a crime.

2- The legend of zelda: spirit tracks
It's a zelda game, but in all this years, I have never heard somebody say they liked spirit tracks, not once. The most I've heard is someone saying they liked phantom hourglass better; excuse me, but this game doesn't have an annoying temple you have to start over time and again, and with a time limit, to make it all worse. plus, the story is awesome, the soundtrack is right up there with ocarina of time's and zelda finally takes matters into her own hands to save herself instead of just waiting for link (granted, she is a ghost, but baby steps...). Nintendo needs to take the next step and make zelda fully playable in the next main TLOZ.

3-Metroid: other M
I've heard a LOT about other M, and almost nothing good. "it's sexist" "samus is a wimp" "samus is abused by adam", etcetera. In my defense of this game, I'm NOT being sexist. Actually the opposite; If you look at this list, all of them have something in common, the female protagonists taking matters into their own hands, being empowered, and all that jazz. But this game gets a really bad rap, and it doesn't deserve it. The gameplay is flawless, and the sensemoves are the most badass thing I ever saw samus do. Naturally, as with any piece of good art, there are many possible meanings to it; some see sexism in the plot, I see a japanese game, written by a japanese guy (and traditionally, japanese tradition is not too big on understanding women) that's one of the first times a famous character is fleshed out as a person. And misunderstood, because that image does not match with each fan's own mental image. The one thing in common from all the opinions of the game, is that fans pictured samus as the archetype of the Badass Action Hero (a male archetype), therefore, seeing her vulnerable, prone to reminiscing, and under the authority (for whatever reason you choose) of someone else completely shattered this image of her, and they react with anger. It has poor writing? sometimes. things that don't make sense? certainly. Is a bad game? not at all.

This three games represent both sides of the femenine issue in videogames, the good and the bad; and that's why more people has to know them, to start moving the industry in the right direction.

I like spirit tracks... just.... kinda... mediocre. I think it's the flute thingy that annoys me. I especially hate the final battle, doing that track. GOD< it was annoying XD

Back