(Unconfirmed) No Championship Points For Battle Roads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaztoyz said:
I came close...twice.. and that is true

I know but still.
If you got it every time you could say its easy.
Even if you did get it every time, it will never get easier (Other than this year XD).

Sanokumo said:
Your logic is skewed to your location it seems to me. You had the opportunity to go to 14+ battleroads? What about those of us who have to travel hours to make it to 8 (the minimum that can count) and those of us that cant reasonably make all three regional dates because the travel is just to far. If CP's are only available for cities states and regionals you just made it virtually impossible for anyone not from the east or west cost to qualify.
Yes, I would have had to travel hours to attend 14 Battle Roads as well. I don't think there's any area where that is not the case. That does not mean I have the TIME to travel to 14 Battle Roads, or the gas money. Having BRs matter means you have to attend more than twice the number of tournaments you would otherwise. These are factors with many players have to deal with in every part of the country. You go from about 15 mandatory events to about 31 mandatory events to qualify for Worlds. Because let's face it... Pokémon is a luck-based game and you are not going to win even half the BRs you attend to in virtually any area. Especially with no top cut. You probably won't even get points at quite a few of them. You're going to want every opportunity you can to get even one or two more points.

I'd have to fly to a third Regional. But that's a grand total of THREE days. Three is significantly less than 16. It's less than 1/5th! Surely you can see where my logic is not skewed to my location, but to time commitment. This is something most players can relate to.

I don't know if you played before last season, but in past seasons, BRs (basically) didn't count toward the invite and the game was fine.

If somebody from any location is able to go to anywhere between 10 and 16 Battle Roads, they probably do have the time and money to get to a third Regional. When you cut out every single one of those Battle Roads, that's a significant amount of gas money saved, especially when you have to travel hours to get to some of them. It might not quite pay for the hotel and flight/gas, but everything factored in, it's not going to be a huge difference. If you're able to go to 10+ Battle Roads, you really shouldn't have an excuse not to be able to go to a Regional when all those BRs are removed from the equation.

And if you can't go to either, then your chances of qualifying are basically nil anyway. But by cutting out the BRs, it's actually not impossible if you're able to perform well at the other States/Regionals, though.

Also, I don't know if you realized this, but I'm arguing that there should NOT be CP for BRs. So if I could go to more BRs than most other people and I STILL don't want there to be CP for them, I'm clearly not trying to give myself an advantage based on my location... And you complain specifically about a new system's effect on non-coastal states. Do you live in a non-coastal state? If so, your logic is actually skewed to your location, not the other way around. Why should the coastal states be punished over SOME of the non-coastal states (basically just midwest)?
grantm1999 said:
The entire '12-'13 season I didn't win a single Battle Road! And I'm not trying to brag here...
Lol. :p

I absolutely admit my argument is based on where I live, which is why I’m putting it out there.

Those of us in the Midwest are already at a disadvantage and we understand and deal with that. Just for example if 8 BR a year can count towards your total (the 8 best results) and a person has a total of 8 possible BR’s to attend within a 3 hour drive, verses a person in say California who has 20 possible BR’s to attend within a 3 hour drive, then one is at an advantage yes? This is the same for Cities, and states and regional’s to a lesser degree for those close enough to attend multiples of each.

If you are comparing the chances of getting CP’s from going to 3 regional’s to the chance of getting points from going to 10 BR’s I Cant agree. If you are comparing the cost of flying or driving 8+hours and hotels to multiple events, to 8 one or two hour drives, I cant agree. Getting time off work alone makes the difference huge. And you were just talking about making the 3rd regional, some of us ‘Midwesterners’ have to do this for EVERY regional.

And as for what happened before last year, where BR’s were dangerous and abandoned by top players, there is a reason that things were changed. Bigger BR’s is a good thing, it evolves the environment, it develops talent, it promotes the game better to venue owners.
And as a person who has played multiple different CCG’s over the last 19 years, I cant believe my eyes when I read about people complaining about having to play to many events.
I’ve got to be honest I think all the pre qualified “Invites” to worlds is way to much. I think grinders should be a much bigger event and the actual tournament much smaller. Then People would stop Obsessing over CP’s and just use every opportunity to enjoy the game.
But they're not, so this is the system we play in. I say things are already skewed to coastal areas and I’m OK with that but NO CP’s for BR’s means that only the people that can travel like crazy have any hope of getting the invite.

Blaztoyz said:
The East Cost is incredibly easy to qualify...
Dude I dont know where you are from on the East Coast but Im from Pennsylvania and people in Pennsylvania are very talented and every game is very difficult.

I have to say to everyone that is complaining about location, come to Hawaii, where it is almost impossible to make the CP required...

Sanokumo said:
I absolutely admit my argument is based on where I live, which is why I’m putting it out there.
Alright, but I thought you were implying my argument wasn't logical because it was based off my location...
Those of us in the Midwest are already at a disadvantage and we understand and deal with that. Just for example if 8 BR a year can count towards your total (the 8 best results) and a person has a total of 8 possible BR’s to attend within a 3 hour drive, verses a person in say California who has 20 possible BR’s to attend within a 3 hour drive, then one is at an advantage yes? This is the same for Cities, and states and regional’s to a lesser degree for those close enough to attend multiples of each.
This is completely true. So the less mandatory events there are, the more even it will naturally be. It will never be perfectly fair, but not having points matter for BRs would make things less unfair for those in the midwest since they can't attend as many as those in California can.
If you are comparing the chances of getting CP’s from going to 3 regional’s to the chance of getting points from going to 10 BR’s I Cant agree. If you are comparing the cost of flying or driving 8+hours and hotels to multiple events, to 8 one or two hour drives, I cant agree. Getting time off work alone makes the difference huge. And you were just talking about making the 3rd regional, some of us ‘Midwesterners’ have to do this for EVERY regional.
I am not comparing the chances of getting CP from 3 Regionals to the chances of getting CP from 10 BRs. I am comparing the chances of getting RELEVANT CP from Regionals to RELEVANT CP from BRs. A few CP usually won't make or break you in the long run. In the end, a few CP will be relevant to less than 1% of the players in terms of getting the invite. But if you go to 10-20 BRs and rack up the same number of CP you would for going incredibly far at Regionals, it starts to become relevant. This is where the problem comes in... BRs only matter for those who are able to go to a bunch of them. If the best finish limit stays at 4 for States and Regionals, you have 6 mandatory events; a heck of a lot less than 16+. And unlike BRs, you don't have to win to quickly accumulate CP from these events and you can lose more than once but still get CP. So as long as you're consistent, you can go to 4-5 rather than 6 and still have a shot at an invite.

As for time off work, it might make a huge difference for you. But what about everybody else? Some people work Saturdays and even Sundays. They have to take time off work every time they want to go to a BR. When you have to go to 16+ BRs to make it worth-it, that's a heck of a lot of time off work. A lot more than 1-4 days for an extra Regional.
And as for what happened before last year, where BR’s were dangerous and abandoned by top players, there is a reason that things were changed. Bigger BR’s is a good thing, it evolves the environment, it develops talent, it promotes the game better to venue owners.
And as a person who has played multiple different CCG’s over the last 19 years, I cant believe my eyes when I read about people complaining about having to play to many events.
If big BRs is a good thing, why does Pokémon describe them as "small, entry-level events"? And why did they remove top cut when they full-well know that doing so will deter a lot of people from going? Not every tournament has to be big for the game to grow. We're already getting more States and Regionals, and we already have Cities. Many store owners actually don't like having these huge BRs; a 6-round swiss tournament with top 4 is great and all, but not if the store wants to close before it's done or if the mass of players is disrupting customers from shopping. At the BRs I went to, store owners kicked us out of their store between rounds and made all players not participating in top cut leave the store. Issues like these would not exist if BRs were half the size and had no top cut.

The issue isn't necessarily with playing a lot of events. It's with playing so many events for virtually no reward. The prize support in this game is laughable. I don't want to drive 4 hours each weekend for 8-10 weeks out of the year to win a few packs and possibly get a few points toward the invite. I don't know who in their right mind would, even if they could.
I’ve got to be honest I think all the pre qualified “Invites” to worlds is way to much. I think grinders should be a much bigger event and the actual tournament much smaller. Then People would stop Obsessing over CP’s and just use every opportunity to enjoy the game.
But they're not, so this is the system we play in. I say things are already skewed to coastal areas and I’m OK with that but NO CP’s for BR’s means that only the people that can travel like crazy have any hope of getting the invite.
This isn't directly relevant to BRs, so no comment.
grantm1999 said:
@Celebi23
Quote manipulators...
It was just a joke. Lighten up. :p

I was not trying to say your argument was illogical, only that there are other perspectives to consider in the decision.
I believe that the more opportunities to get points, out way the fewer but bigger chances to get points. I believe that yes the people that go to more events should be awarded more than the people that get lucky at a few events.
The other thing to consider is this is a game aimed at kids, they cannot travel with out help.
Lets look at my son for an example he went to 8 battle roads, 4 cities, 1 states and 1 regionals. He got 40 CP,s in juniors, he did exceptionally well, but did not qualify for an invite. If you take away all his BR CP’s and we went to another states and regionals It would of cost us approximately 1000$ and he would most likely have had even less points.
Some might say that this shouldn’t be about them because they are not the ones who really compete but I say it should because they are the ones who drive the sales and are the future of this game.

-As for different work schedules I happen to work Saturdays, but its allot easier to reschedule a day of work to go to an event, than take 3 days off in a row.
-I don’t know how BR attendance was in your area but around here if there is an event and 12 people show up (which happened in the Uxiedonk BR’s) the event location is not likely to host again. If more than 40 show up OK I guess I see a problem but Event organizers should have some Idea about the size of the crowd to expect and plan a location appropriately.
And last I am not sure if you have played other card/tournament games. But the fact that there are a bunch of FREE tournaments at all is amazing. I am really tired of hearing about how bad the prize support is. The prize support for Pokémon is AMAZING.
If you want to do something and get stuff at the end of it, its called work. This is a hobby, something to do for fun.
And honestly if there were a bunch of product given out at every event, it only goes to those who don’t need it, if you have a deck good enough to win a large event then you probably don’t need any more cards.
Look I am not trying to argue (but it kind of comes natural) I am just trying to show that there are multiple ways to look at this problem.
You are most likely going to get your wish anyway.

Sanokumo said:
I was not trying to say your argument was illogical, only that there are other perspectives to consider in the decision.
I believe that the more opportunities to get points, out way the fewer but bigger chances to get points. I believe that yes the people that go to more events should be awarded more than the people that get lucky at a few events.
Why is it luck to win a big event, but not luck to win a few small events? Some amount of luck is required to win any tournament - even any game - in Pokémon, but that does not mean there is no skill involved in each game either. If this was the case, we wouldn't have repeat State, Regional, and World champions.
The other thing to consider is this is a game aimed at kids, they cannot travel with out help.
This is again a reason to not have as many mandatory events.
Lets look at my son for an example he went to 8 battle roads, 4 cities, 1 states and 1 regionals. He got 40 CP,s in juniors, he did exceptionally well, but did not qualify for an invite. If you take away all his BR CP’s and we went to another states and regionals It would of cost us approximately 1000$ and he would most likely have had even less points.
Once again, this is a very specific situation. A lot of people were on the opposite end of things. They went to very few BRs, 10+ Cities, 3 States, and 2 Regionals and also missed the invite.

And the fact remains that your son still missed the invite. To get it, he probably would have needed to go to more States and Regionals. These tournaments will be relevant whether or not Battle Roads are. Having Battle Roads matter will not reduce the number of larger tournaments players must attend to get the invite! This is the part I think you're missing. Without Battle Roads, you have to go to 10+ Cities, 3 States, and 3 Regionals. With Battle Roads, you STILL have to go to 10+ Cities, 3 States, and 3 Regionals.
Some might say that this shouldn’t be about them because they are not the ones who really compete but I say it should because they are the ones who drive the sales and are the future of this game.
The people who give Pokémon the most money don't even play competitively. They're the kids and collectors who go to target and buy a pack to try to pull their favorites, they're not the kids going to tournaments. It's a well-known fact that most Masters spend more than most Juniors in the game, because they have more spending money. But when you factor in just how many non-player little kids there are, the total amount of sales received from them is more than the total amount of sales from the competitive player base.
-As for different work schedules I happen to work Saturdays, but its allot easier to reschedule a day of work to go to an event, than take 3 days off in a row.
This still only applies to your particular job. Many people have X number of vacation/sick days they can take and it doesn't matter at what point they take them.
-I don’t know how BR attendance was in your area but around here if there is an event and 12 people show up (which happened in the Uxiedonk BR’s) the event location is not likely to host again. If more than 40 show up OK I guess I see a problem but Event organizers should have some Idea about the size of the crowd to expect and plan a location appropriately.
I don't think we ever had a BR with less than 40 people in my area. There are not enough large venues around here to host a BR every weekend at one. We were playing outside of the store, in the street, etc. at some of the venues.
And last I am not sure if you have played other card/tournament games. But the fact that there are a bunch of FREE tournaments at all is amazing. I am really tired of hearing about how bad the prize support is. The prize support for Pokémon is AMAZING.
Factor in gas money and building a deck, and it's not free. They've also been cutting prize support the past few years. It used to be pretty good, but let me tell you that winning a Regional championship with over 200 masters and taking home two booster boxes felt like a very small accomplishment compared to winning a Regional championship with 40 seniors and taking home a scholarship.
If you want to do something and get stuff at the end of it, its called work. This is a hobby, something to do for fun.
I don't know about you, but I don't have fun devoting half of my weekends each year to one game, just to have a shot at qualifying for one more event.
And honestly if there were a bunch of product given out at every event, it only goes to those who don’t need it, if you have a deck good enough to win a large event then you probably don’t need any more cards.
Look I am not trying to argue (but it kind of comes natural) I am just trying to show that there are multiple ways to look at this problem.
You are most likely going to get your wish anyway.
This is why they should give out scholarships at States and Regionals, more travel money, etc.

I've heard from multiple sources that there will be CP for BRs (of course I hear this after I book all but one weekend in September for other stuff), so we'll see.

It sounds like you don't even like Pokemon.
EDIT: And 10+ Cities sounds ridiculous. Who goes to that many?
Isn't there 5-7 Cities in a marathon?
EDIT 2: I guess that sounds really critical, so I apologize as I'm not trying to be.

Hi, I can see 8-9, but over 10...
lol I wish my parents supported more :p
At first I thought you said 80+ Championship points...
Than I thought about that and I re-looked your comment.
And I saw your sig where it said 62 CP.

If it's confirmed, I'm gonna be mad, the last season I played, BR's was one of the main things that got me my CP's.

Also, 10+ Cities, would be amazing, (we better get CP there too :/)

So from my ,albeit noobish, understanding as Battle Roads is allegedly not contributing to CPs people want the difference to be made up at the bigger event?

This shouldn't be a problem. You increase the amount of CPs to the bigger events overall as you use the points BRs would have given out, still awarding X amount of points for finishing in X place but you give "bonus points" that scale according to place. So for example, you give the top cut say 10 points each but then the individual places get "bonus" points, which aren't really bonus points as they are the points that Battle Roads should have given.

In this way you avoid an inflation of sorts as the points haven't actually been lost, just moved to a different event.

A system such as this doesn't reward someone for simply playing in say 5+ events, but rather rewards those who do finish highly and consistently.

Just my 2cents.

Pope

grantm1999 said:
It sounds like you don't even like Pokemon.
EDIT: And 10+ Cities sounds ridiculous. Who goes to that many?
Isn't there 5-7 Cities in a marathon?
EDIT 2: I guess that sounds really critical, so I apologize as I'm not trying to be.
I like Pokémon. I like it a lot. But I also like soccer and having a life beyond school and sports/hobbies. And I'm taking the SAT in a few months. Gotta study for that. Practice SATs are on Saturday. Practice ACTs are on Saturday. Those aforementioned things tend to eat up a lot of Saturdays and Sundays, especially in September when they all overlap.

I'd rather not have minimal chance at an invite when the season's only been going on for a month. I could miss one soccer game to go to a tournament, but I can't miss four or five.

I think its funny to all you people that go to 9-10 Battle Roads. I only go to about 2-3, I go to the Areas a hour or less around lol :p

I went to 8 in 2011-2012, and that was areas an hour or less, but that's also counting Spring and Autumn.

Anyway, there are obviously mixed feelings about this topic here, so the only thing to do now is wait and find out. I've had my say.
Some will be mad, some will be happy; nothing more.

I don't even think I can even go to battle roads. I only see two where I have a chance at going to, and the others are more than a 100 miles away. I'm pretty sure going to only two is going to help me much.
*I'm still a teenager of course, and I can't supply any rides for myself*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back