The Yu-Gi-Oh Thread

Serperior said:
I don't know if I like Pendulum Summoning...yeesh. It just seems out there and far more different we've seen before.

I don't like the Field Spell rule. Would the effects of both Field Spells be in play coinciding each other then? Maybe Closed Forest might be worth playing.
I personally love Pendulum Summoning. Using it to its full effect seems like it requires intensive knowledge of deck construction, adding a layer of strategy to the game.

I have mixed thoughts about the field spell rule. I like it in the sense that field spell cards of today really only apply to one player, so both players can use their own field spell. Conversely, it's one less way to remove that pesky Spellbook Tower or Mount Sylvania...

From what I can understand, this is how it works.
To Pendulum Summon, you need to have 2 Pendulum Monsters on the field, one in each Pendulum Zone.
AstromancyMagician-ST14-JP-OP.png
ChronomancyMagician-ST14-JP-OP.png
You can use them as monsters, but you can also put them in the Pendulum Zones--here, they're treated as Spell Cards, and the effect in between the two crystals on the Pendulum Monster will apply when it's in one of these zones.

Take the number underneath the blue crystal of the Pendulum Monster in the left Pendulum Zone (we'll call this Value 1), then take the number underneath the red crystal of the Pendulum Monster in the right Pendulum Zone (we'll call this Value 2). When you declare a Pendulum Summon, you can Special Summon any number of monsters from your hand (and 1 (or more, hasn't been clarified yet) face-up Pendulum Monster from your Extra Deck if you wish) that have a level in between Value 1 and Value 2. When a Pendulum Monster would be sent to the Graveyard, it instead goes to the Extra Deck face-up, where it can be Pendulum Summoned.

The whole Pendulum thing is just the new way they decided to make the old decks useless. That way we have no choice but to buy new cards and build new decks. It's actually really annoying. Every time they do this it just makes people want to quit.

The field spell thing is just stupid. Things like Orichalcos are a big enough pain to kill. It's not bad if it's "I have a field spell that helps me and you have a field spell that helps you". That's just being fair so that no one has an advantage, but if it's "I have a field spell that helps me and hurts you" that's just irritating. 90% of the time when I kill a field spell it's with another field spell. You are basically just going to have to waste resources killing field spells.

As for the "no draw" thing I'm never going first again. The only reason to go first now is if you run a trap heavy deck and decide to be that guy no one likes that sets five and ends.

Exactly. I use Necrovalley to get rid of my opponent's Tower and Mount Sylvania...and now they can still abuse it with no drawback? I don't like the new rule in the slightest.

Not being able to draw on the first turn is something I can somewhat agree with. It can be pretty dirty with that one-card advantage while being able to set up your stuff.

It's basically being negged a card with no attack. There really isn't much point in going first unless you just want to set a torrential or something. If you're a normal player and just go for your setup (unless it has effects that protect it) your monsters are just going to die. So you'll be left one card behind with less resources.

I know the whole point of going first is to get your setup going but it's just not worth the loss of hand advantage in most cases.

Vivillon said:
The whole Pendulum thing is just the new way they decided to make the old decks useless. That way we have no choice but to buy new cards and build new decks.
Funny that you say that. Nobody's forcing you to run anything, or buy anything for that matter. Pendulum Monsters look high risk, high reward. Countering them right now looks as simple as an MST.

And besides, Synchros and Xyz were like "Oh, new Synchros and Xyz came out, but they're only compatible/are really really good with these cards!". Yes, it'll likely change somewhat in the future, but Pendulum Monsters are exclusive to the main deck. Though I wouldn't recommend going down this path, you could technically slap 2 Magician of Chronomancy and 2 Magician of Astromancy into almost any deck and reap the benefits. Gadgets? Plusses for days. Synchro decks? Go nuts. Genex? The world is your oyster or mine for that matter, since I think I'm the only guy on the planet who still runs those.

Experiment with the new mechanics before deeming them worthy of the "filthy Konami!" speech. If you don't want to need to buy a lot of new Pendulum-related cards, 2 Astromancy and 2 Chronomancy just may be all you need.

Well that is exactly what it is. If it does turn out to be like synchros and xyz you will have to adapt and use them to be competitive. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information on them so far, I'm basically going by past experience.

Yu-gi-oh is a money making business. Just about everything is, there's nothing wrong with capitalism. However they are adding stuff that really isn't necessary and new game mechanics are just annoying. So far I haven't talked to anyone who was psyched about this. New game mechanics aren't bad for people who play online only, but for people who play in real life throwing away hundreds of dollars to stay competitive is never fun. Just two of something can be ridiculously priced.

It has yet to be determined if these things are going to be staples. If you look at any competitive deck now they have xyz and sometimes synchros. No competitive deck is without those.

I see that people are pretty irked about Pendulum Summons. Sounds about right - I agree on first glance, but I'd like to at least test them out before I say for sure. They remind me of the dual-civilization Duel Masters cards in a way, though I doubt that Pendulums will be that complicated. I bet the extra deck limit will increase because of this, so yay ^-^

As for the new rules, not drawing a card to start is pretty stupid, and the field spell battles' end is sad - now we have to waste resources, like someone else said. I'm interested in how we'll adjust to these now - is the March 21st rule update for Japan though? If so, we'll at least have ours later.

@Scorched Feathers: MST is at 3, and Heavy Sack needs to stay banned.

I don't believe the size of the extra deck will be increased. It's such a significant change that it would likely have been revealed in V Jump along with the new rules, and considering Pendulum Monsters don't originate from the Extra Deck...

Vivillon said:
Yu-gi-oh is a money making business. Just about everything is, there's nothing wrong with capitalism. However they are adding stuff that really isn't necessary
While I don't disagree with your standpoint that we'll likely need to buy new cards if we wish to physically stay competitive, new game mechanics keep people interested and bring in new people, which makes money.

I don't know about Pendulum, but I HATE the first turn no draw rule. It entirely beats the purpose of going first. Fields I have mixed feelings. It can definitely break some, since now there's one less way to remove them, but on the other hand, you don't have to worry as much for yours.

It seems though like every time new things are added people quit. I really don't think the new mechanics bring in any new people. It may keep some older players interested like you said but most older players are going to stay regardless of the changes. I won't quit because of it but I can't say this doesn't bug me. It seems so different from anything we've seen in the past that I don't know if this will be interesting or just adding something new for the sake of something new.

People getting interested in new things don't generally like overly complicated rules and such. It's why I got interested in Vanguard, incredibly easy, and should really be called "sack the game". Cheap decks can beat expensive ones because it's luck based. Of course like anything the more expensive deck will always have advantage.

The field spell thing is going to make Malefics a pain.

Is there any confirmation of this on the main site?

also
revised water deck
I now run mermails + Umi at low levels, then destroy with dragons and such at higher levels.

me
‎11‎:‎15‎ ‎PM Monsters:
Tidal
Cure Mermaid
Mother Grizzly
Lord of D.
3x White Night Dragon
Mermail Abyssocea
Mermail Abyssnose
Snowdust Dragon
Mermail Abysslung
Frostosaurus
2x Mermail Abyssdine
Zone Eater
Mermail Abysshilde
3x Snow Dragon
3x Rage of the Deep Sea
Double Shark
Creeping Doom Manta
Mermail Abyssbalaen
Weather Report
Unshaven Angler
Shocktopus
Deepsea Warrior
Levia-Dragon - Daedalus
Aurora Wing
The Legendary Fisherman

Traps:
Tornado Wall
Miniaturize
Just Desserts
Trap Hole
Astral Barrier
Metal Reflect Slime
Gravity Bind
Metalmorph
Threatening Roar

Spells:
2x Fighting Spirit
The Flute of the Summoning Dragon
Swords of Concealing Light
"Umi" (Lemuria)
Salvage
"Umi" (Legendary Ocean)
Monster Reincarnation
Swords of Revealing Light
Dark Hole
Sword of the Deep-Seated
^that's my new water deck
55 cards
‎11‎:‎18‎ ‎PM http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/657/458/637.gif
‎11‎:‎23‎ ‎PM *awaiting response of DNA.exe*
DNA
‎11‎:‎25‎ ‎PM DNA is unresponsive.
me
‎11‎:‎25‎ ‎PM any weak points?
any tips?
ANYTHING?
DNA
‎11‎:‎26‎ ‎PM urdeksux
me
‎11‎:‎26‎ ‎PM exf**kingplain
DNA
‎11‎:‎27‎ ‎PM nooooooooooooo
i'm tirrrrred

i'll wait for his scummy face to wake up tomorrow, then coerce a response out of him.

Essentially, what I did was removed the illegal cards (one tidal, stream, reborn, CD, sinister serpent, and then removed the ones that wont fit into any strategy of the two).

So I'm building a Rank Four Spam deck because it's toolbox-esque and really fun. I don't run Gadgets because I prefer having more Level Fours that can start Rank Four plays rather than just searching 'em out. Summoner Monk brings out Lyla if I feel I need to pop a Spell/Trap or Star Drawing if I'm going first so I can draw another card.

Here's what I have.

Summon Limit kills me, but...who really plays that card anyways? I main Macro, D-Fissure, and Soul Drain because they hurt half the meta right now. I'd like your input. Thanks guys.

^yes.
Serperior, you are awesome for thinking that up.
could you post what xyzs you used?
i'd like to make this irl if possible

also, got DNA's response

me
‎‎11‎:‎47‎ ‎AM DNA
DNA
DNA
Rage of the deep sea just Stolen exodius
DNA
‎11‎:‎48‎ ‎AM that's nice
me
‎11‎:‎48‎ ‎AM also lf asked for an pinion
fletchling
DNA
‎11‎:‎48‎ ‎AM did he ask for a pinion, or an opinion
because those are two totally different things
me
‎11‎:‎49‎ ‎AM opinion
dick
DNA
‎11‎:‎49‎ ‎AM k
hey, a pinion is a feather
it could have worked in this case
me
‎11‎:‎49‎ ‎AM AHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA
DNA
‎11‎:‎49‎ ‎AM DNA nods.
‎11‎:‎50‎ ‎AM so what, did you want me to bug him, or did he pass the message along to you?
me
‎11‎:‎51‎ ‎AM Luke Bassett
‎11‎:‎47‎ ‎AM quick DNAs online
get an opinion
DNA
‎11‎:‎51‎ ‎AM of?
me
‎11‎:‎58‎ ‎AM water deck
apparently
DNA
‎11‎:‎58‎ ‎AM fletchling wants me to review his water deck?
does he even play
‎11‎:‎59‎ ‎AM anything that isn't noob boxers
me
‎11‎:‎59‎ ‎AM my water deck, you tool
DNA
‎11‎:‎59‎ ‎AM ... >_<
me
‎11‎:‎59‎ ‎AM and yes, he does play
DNA
‎11‎:‎59‎ ‎AM a legendary ocean or gtfo
me
‎12‎:‎00‎ ‎PM there is one in there
DNA
‎12‎:‎00‎ ‎PM unless you're just going to run straight mermails
me
‎12‎:‎00‎ ‎PM no straight mermails
DNA
‎12‎:‎00‎ ‎PM which is odd because they don't run S/T
except for 3 Sphere
me
‎12‎:‎00‎ ‎PM mermails are like vylons for me
they wreck face
only if you have all of them

Abyss Dweller
Diamond Dire Wolf
Downerd Magician
Evilswarm Exciton Knight
Gagaga Cowboy
2x King of the Feral Imps
Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
2x Number 101: Silent Honor ARK
Number 39: Utopia
Number 50: Blackship of Corn
Number 85: Crazy Box
Vylon Disigma
Evilswarm Ouroboros

Long story short, I'm not on DevPro for the next week, so my only option to duel is DN. My username is Don Whitehorse. Hit me up if you wanna duel.
...please ;~;

Okay, time for a bit of theory and prediction. :)

I've won a nats invite with Mermail alongside several locals wins, but I believe the Water-Fire era of this format will be gone when the month is over - we'll pretty much have to look for new decks. The banlist will predictably chop down these two decks, but Primal Origins is two months away. So, what do you guys think will emerge as the top-caliber decks for the first month of the next format? I know the banlist hasn't been announced, but given what we can expect to be hit, we could probably make accurate predictions.

I think Harpies will be a contender for the early stages due to their explosiveness and consistency. Hieratic Rulers may go forward due to the expected Fire Fist nerf. Prophecy may have something hit but could still remain a top deck. Finally, I could see Bujin still marching its way to the top, as they still have Peacock to make up for a hit on Tenki.

Only a month left of this format, so enjoy it while you can. Next format will be disastrous imo.

Back