The Yu-Gi-Oh Thread

Uralya said:
Okay, time for a bit of theory and prediction. :)

I've won a nats invite with Mermail alongside several locals wins, but I believe the Water-Fire era of this format will be gone when the month is over - we'll pretty much have to look for new decks. The banlist will predictably chop down these two decks, but Primal Origins is two months away. So, what do you guys think will emerge as the top-caliber decks for the first month of the next format? I know the banlist hasn't been announced, but given what we can expect to be hit, we could probably make accurate predictions.

I think Harpies will be a contender for the early stages due to their explosiveness and consistency. Hieratic Rulers may go forward due to the expected Fire Fist nerf. Prophecy may have something hit but could still remain a top deck. Finally, I could see Bujin still marching its way to the top, as they still have Peacock to make up for a hit on Tenki.

Only a month left of this format, so enjoy it while you can. Next format will be disastrous imo.

I think Machines (Geargia) and Bujin will be good, and even Gravekeeper's has the chance to rise (again), but (maybe) won't reach the Tier 1 status. And as you mentioned, Harpies are good too, even thought they are not so consistent. There are a lots of possibilities. Here's my suggestion how the Tier list will look like after the new banlist:

Tier 1 - These decks will remain their power, or will be stronger than before

- Prophecy (It actually NEEDS to be hit but I don't think they will)
- Bujin
- Madolche (This deck becomes better and better.)
- Geargia

Tier 2 - Not top decks but okay decks, can compete with Tier 1 if they are prepared enough. They have the potential

- Evilswarm
- Constellar
- Gravekeepers
- Noble Knight
- Chaos Dragon (2 Sorcerer + 3 Tour Guide, if it won't be hurt than it will make a huge noise)

Tier 3 - Decks that are good but not a threat

- Ghostrick (Budget)
- Dark World (Easy to side against)
- Thunder (It lacks Extra Deck support)
- Harpie (Wind Loop is gone)
- Blackwing (They need a 2nd Gale to work properly)

The decks that I think will be hit:
- Fire Fist
- Mermail
- Infernity

Right, I forgot about Chaos Dragons with the new LS support. They could probably make a good jump in tiers once that all comes out - it may take a bit though.

Harpies and Hunder are better than most of the things you listed below tier 1 though. Hunder have great extra deck support in the form of Omega, ARK, Exciton and Paladynamo - that is a great toolbox all on its own. It's a rather "fair" deck, but by no means is it bad. Harpies are too explosive to be ranked that low; and I don't know about you but they are more consistent than what they appear to be every time I play against them.

Lastly, about your Tier 1, I was looking just at the first month, before PRIO comes ashore in America. Bujin may be good but they won't be up at the top until PRIO - the same holds true for Madolche. If Prophecy and Geargia aren't hit too hard (I think they both might be though), they should be the top early contenders.

Even though I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh! since 2004 I wanted to share this news with you guys, there are now new ruling updates that currently only applies to the Japanese OCG. The first of which being that the player who goes first can't draw on their first turn which helps reduce first-turn advantages and the second new ruling is that both players can have 2 Field Spells out simultaneously:

http://www.ygorganization.com/ocg-v-jump-time/

Card Slinger J said:
Even though I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh! since 2004 I wanted to share this news with you guys, there are now new ruling updates that currently only applies to the Japanese OCG. The first of which being that the player who goes first can't draw on their first turn which helps reduce first-turn advantages and the second new ruling is that both players can have 2 Field Spells out simultaneously:

http://www.ygorganization.com/ocg-v-jump-time/

Thanks for the thought, but we were discussing it last month iirc. Just go back one or two pages and you'll see that both rules caught a lot of flak from our playerbase. :D

Also, I'd like to speculate on the future of Evilswarm as a deck next format. Artifacts and Hieratics are the only two big decks I can see having trouble with it, but will that be enough to keep them up in the tiers? Artifacts are dominating in the OCG currently iirc, but they also have Dragon Rulers and full-power Chronomalies too to justify Evilswarm use.

Most Chronomaly decks just run 3 each of Skeleton, Skull, Nebra Disk, and Golden Jet, so they're not really harmed by Evilswarms with the exception of needing to go into Gem-Knight Pearl or Gaia Knight to prevent a Safe Zone'd Beetle from wrecking any attempt to do anything.

don()shinobi said:
Most Chronomaly decks just run 3 each of Skeleton, Skull, Nebra Disk, and Golden Jet, so they're not really harmed by Evilswarms with the exception of needing to go into Gem-Knight Pearl or Gaia Knight to prevent a Safe Zone'd Beetle from wrecking any attempt to do anything.

Right, my bad. I keep forgetting that they don't run anything above Level 4. So used to the high level Chronomalies in addition to that they don't do anything here in America.

Well, they still have full-power Dragon Rulers there, so that in addition to Artifacts should be enough.

Uralya said:
Right, my bad. I keep forgetting that they don't run anything above Level 4.
Which is stupid because they're very usable, I have room for Moai AND Gordias Unite :V

So what are your guys' opinions on Constellars? Like, yeah, they wreck everything, but when you face one, what angers you the most and how do you defeat it?

Haunted Water said:
So what are your guys' opinions on Constellars? Like, yeah, they wreck everything, but when you face one, what angers you the most and how do you defeat it?

Topdecked Sombre and Pleiades + multiple backrow turn 1 are the most frustrating things (also random Volcasaurus). How to deal with these depends on the deck.

Game 1: Negate the Kaus when it tries to modify the second Constellar's level, bait out the Pleiades' bounce and then make a second push, BTS it, conserve MSTs for the mained floodgates and Tenki, etc.

Game 2/3: Sided-in Light-Imprisoning Mirror, Mind Crush Sombre/Kaus when searched, Black Horn of Heaven on Pleiades, same things as Game 1 too

That's in general. I always have those three traps sided in most of my decks.

As for how good they are, they are linear and predictable but damn effective at what they do. Kind of like Evilswarm but more versatile in the situations they can deal with.

BUT

Constellars rely on their first turn's summon to be a normal summon (because people are incredibly stupid and don't run Siat), whereas Evilswarms can utilize Mandragora. Constellars are ultimately more versatile, but need to rely on their normal summons to be versatile. So if you can't stop the Pleiades, stop the normal summons.

Also, 2 new cards.
Number 39: Beyond the Hope (Alright, that's cool. Just make Stoic Challenge even better.)
CXyz Dystopic Barian (I can see this being a very fun card to build a deck around.)

So I got bored today and threw together a gagaga deck. I put it up against my ZWs and won within five turns each time. I also put all of my anger and hatred towards Constellars into the deck making. I put in Mind Crush and Traptrix. Go ahead. Summon Omega. I DARE you.
I believe I'm ready for this weekend's dueling with my friends. Now where did I put all those traps...
Edit: Speaking of Traptrix, I would like it if they were to add more to Traptrix. I mean, have you seen what they are capable of?

I hate Ghostrick. I love the way they look but hate their play style. It creates the most boring, long, drawn out duels. If anyone plays these things in a tournament they're going into time. I keep getting matched against them online, at this point I'm just leaving. I'll eventually win but I'll lose a solid hour of my life in the process being bored to death.

If they ever come out with the new Light Sworn support I would think that would be tier 1.

Haunted Water said:
So I got bored today and threw together a gagaga deck. I put it up against my ZWs and won within five turns each time. I also put all of my anger and hatred towards Constellars into the deck making. I put in Mind Crush and Traptrix. Go ahead. Summon Omega. I DARE you.

I wanna see this Gagaga list.

Vivillon said:
I hate Ghostrick. I love the way they look but hate their play style. It creates the most boring, long, drawn out duels. If anyone plays these things in a tournament they're going into time. I keep getting matched against them online, at this point I'm just leaving. I'll eventually win but I'll lose a solid hour of my life in the process being bored to death.
Hah. You best not duel me, then.

Vivillon said:

I have yet to face a competent Ghostrick player, but I feel you. PACMAN decks are the same way.

Try playing on a timer like in tournaments then if it wastes an hour :p

Uralya said:
Vivillon said:

I have yet to face a competent Ghostrick player, but I feel you. PACMAN decks are the same way.

Try playing on a timer like in tournaments then if it wastes an hour :p

My thing is they take a solid five to ten minutes to do their turns and have little to show for it. I guess in a tournament you could stall and slowly poke someone and hope they don't do any damage to you before time. I've seen a couple of times where players had decent plays to make but they went full on derp and missed their opportunity. You basically just let them stall and build yourself up. Once you destroy all their crap then you just burn through the hand traps.

I really do wish they were a more aggressive deck though. The art is adorable . I will say I haven't played one since their Primal Origin support so I'm not sure if that makes a big difference or not. I've been busy with Vanguard.

Vivillon said:
I've seen a couple of times where players had decent plays to make but they went full on derp and missed their opportunity.
So...you're judging an archetype because of bad players...?

I play Ghostricks myself, and while I do make mistakes, I do know that mistakes like those are extremely easy for beginners to make.
Primal Origin just made them better. Ghostrick Night works perfectly with Nekomusume, and along with Alucard, Go-Round, and Vanish, they make a nearly perfect lock.

don()shinobi said:
Could you define a "competent" Ghostrick player?

One that doesn't use Yuki-onna, Yeti or Ghoul - I've played only a couple matches against Ghostricks, but I've seen at least one of those in all of them iirc. Yeti is a misunderstood, overrated hunk of junk >.>

I'm glad I haven't seen Werewolf played.

...how did they use Ghoul? Ghoul is completely fine. It gets over things you can't flip face down.

Back