OU: Strategy The X and Y Metagame Discussion Thread

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

Thanks! I don't mind the offenses, but I was wishing he'd be a bit more defensive. Maybe not as bulky as Lugia, but comparable to maybe Giratana-A.

Now just to wait and see the stats for Aurorus and Gourgeist.

What are you talking about? 125/100/100 is not bad by any means and Fairy is also fairly (no pun/joke/play-on-words intended. I swear) solid defensively too. Having a Dragon immunity alone means a free switch in when Outrage is used and that can be huge in most cases.

Astra said:
Wailady said:
Does anyone know Xerneas' approximate base stats yet?
~125 HP / 135 Atk / 100 Def / 135 SpA / 100 SpD / 100 Spe

Basically Yvetal with more defense points and less HP, give or take around 10 points per stat.

At first glance, I think this is possible OU material that wouldn't be absolutely broken, but I probably am overlooking some major strengths of Xerneas - I don't tend to follow legendaries' data. What about Yveltal's usefulness so far?

~AoH

Well Xerneas' signature move Geomancy is basically a +2 Quiver Dance with a chargeup turn. Yveltal's is a Flying-type Giga Drain with more BP I think.

Their base stats for references.

Xerneas: 123 HP / 135 Atk / 102 Def / 138 SpA / 102 SpD / 107 Spe (+/- 8)
Yveltal: 128 HP / 138 Atk / 90 Def / 138 SpA / 90 SpD / 100 Spe (+/- 5)

I don't know why people are hung up about the lower BP of attacks. That's a really beneficial change.

It is being reported that the sleep counter is not reset upon switching back into battle. That's welcome news.
sah-weet

An item called Smooth Rock or w/e doubles the time limit to 10.
Smooth Rock is the item that lengthens Sandstorm's duration (by the user) to 8 turns. Does that mean that the items now double the effects of the moves?

Also, it was just pointed out to me that, unless Gen 6 introduces something wacky (and based on what I've seen, I don't think it has yet), the only Pokemon who resists Freeze Dry + an offensive Water-type move is Dry Skin Jynx.

New offensive combo anyone?

Will-o-Wisp is now 85% accuracy. That's a very welcome change in a metagame with more offensive threats.

Mega Medicham

Ks6piqZ.jpg

60 hp / 100 atk / 85 def / 80 satk / 85 spdef / 100 speed

pure power

read as: 646 atk with adamant, the same as a 245 base attack with adamant

iSharingan said:
What are you talking about? 125/100/100 is not bad by any means and Fairy is also fairly (no pun/joke/play-on-words intended. I swear) solid defensively too. Having a Dragon immunity alone means a free switch in when Outrage is used and that can be huge in most cases.

I know it's not bad, it's easily very good. I was just wanting him to be more like 125/120/120.

So, any chances that Aggron will see more play now that his Mega Evolution is pure Steel and has Filter to weaken Super-Effective hits by 25%?

His stats normally are 70/110/180/60/70/50. It could become 70/140/220/70/100/30 or there'bout (assuming he loses speed since he looks way bulkier/heavy).

Wailady said:
iSharingan said:

I know it's not bad, it's easily very good. I was just wanting him to be more like 125/120/120.
you do know those would be Arceus' defensive stats plus a little extra HP, coupled with Atk & SAtk superior to the 'god' pokemon... In case someone reading this doesn't get it by this point (I'm hoping you all do get it), Xerneas with those stats would make any Fairy variation of Arceus completely obsolete in both held item and stats (movepool is a distinct possibly too). I find the "official" stats originally listed (and the later, more solid stats) to be perfectly on par with most other Ubers.

regarding Mega Aggron, the pure steel typing is decent, but I would only really use it if it kept Rock Head (though it no longer gets STAB Head Smash, so I don't really know anymore :/. double the attack power might be worth it though). Filter is a 'meh' ability in the first place. In competition, most KOs against Aggron are more than 133% of it's max HP, so Filter wouldn't help much. 'Retyping' on mega evo to pure steel did more for it's fighting weakness than Filter ever will.

unsheathed said:
Mega Medicham

Ks6piqZ.jpg

60 hp / 100 atk / 85 def / 80 satk / 85 spdef / 100 speed

pure power

read as: 646 atk with adamant, the same as a 245 base attack with adamant

Because Huge Power SD Mega Mawile wasn't enough apparently -.- Base 100 speed isn't that bad either. I mean, it still has problems switching in since it won't get the boosted defenses until you mega-evolve, but giving Huge Power to a pokemon with base 100 Atk and access to STAB Hi Jump Kick is truly incredible. 9.9

Leakers were nice enough to find info on the starters.

7wPTBhL.jpg

Quick notes:

Chesnaught
>Guardian ability + Power-up Punch is essentially a 40 bp Bulk Up. It gets blocked by Ghosts, so you're better off using Bulk Up for +1 atk and +2 def every turn.
>U-Turn is neat due to its low base speed. It's always nice to get in something easier with a slow U-Turn.
>Ice Punch is awesome with Grass and Fighting STAB to handle Flying-types.
>I can see it running a Choice Band set with something like Close Combat / Wood Hammer / U-Turn / Ice Punch

Delphox
>I still don't like it, but the addition of Aura Sphere and Thunderbolt makes things interesting.
>Spirit Shield sounds fun. Too bad you can't take a physical move to save your life.
>Lack of recovery is a little sad if you plan on using a Calm Mind set. It's facing stiff competition from something like Latias, who is faster and has better typing.

Greninja
>Rapid Spin is awesome because of that Dark-type. It basically gets a free Rapid Spin since no Ghost-type would dare switchin on Greninja.
>As if that wasn't bad enough, it has Nasty Plot and blazing fast speed (115 or 120). 95 (or 100, there's not a definite calculation yet) might not be that threatening at +2, but with hazard support I'm sure it can function as a decent late game sweeper.
>Definitely a few possibilities here. Right now I'm seeing a Life Orb attacker with Rapid Spin and a Nasty Plot set. You can also go the Excadrill route and run Rapid Spin on Nasty Plot.

edit: Someone is also reporting that Greninja learns U-Turn. I can see a Specs set working with U-turn just to grab momentum.

Chesnaught with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield sounds deliciously annoying.

Delphox is just average. Welcome to RU I guess.

Greninja has Rapid Spin! As Gamefreak seem to have paid attention to imbalances in the previous gens (weather nerf, dragon immunity), I wonder if entry hazards will take a hit too by way of.more Rapid Spin users? Greninja's signature attack is interesting, but a bit pointless on Greninja particularly due to its high speed. Would be cool if Cloyster could use that.

I have a question: does anyone know if Pokemon that get Mega Evolutions get the bonuses from Eviolite?

I'm assuming not, but an answer would give some peace of mind.

DNA said:
I have a question: does anyone know if Pokemon that get Mega Evolutions get the bonuses from Eviolite?

I'm assuming not, but an answer would give some peace of mind.

From everything I've heard, they don't.

tbh I wasn't expecting them to get the Eviolite benefits either

Okay, from what I hear the image I recently posted might be an elaborate ruse. Kind of a shame if you ask me. :(

unsheathed said:
The image I recently posted
Chesnaught looks very nice with its movepool now. I believe the addition of Spiky Shield and Guardian set it apart from Tangrowth enough to get its own niche as a defensive Grass type. The fact that Close Combat's defense drop is mitigated by Guardian makes it an appealing option, plus the addition of U-turn makes it a good slow scout. UU I'd say.

Delphox is better than my first glance told me, but not by much. It's probably just another RU/below Fire starter.

Greninja looks like a Starmie with better typing and stats and less coverage. The fact that it can go mixed, has Rapid Spin, Dark-typing and (reportedly) U-turn make it far more versatile. It has slightly better defenses with very little (if any) SAtk loss. I can see this as the best of them.

Hopefully this is all true.

~AoH

Anyone else notice string shot now sharply lowers speed (as in 2 levels, not 1 like in gen 5 and lower)? Now it'll finally be worth it to leave string shot on some bugs that make it to the competitive scene (not expecting them in higher tiers, tho).

Also: I actually like how the Exp share works this gen too. Pokemon used in battle get "boosted" exp while the rest of the party gets exp too, similar to the gen 1 exp share, iirc. Getting exp when you catch a pokemon is amazing too; I might actually enjoy leveling a bit more this gen.

There's a new entry hazard called Sticky Web, which lowers a Pokemon's speed upon switching in. Thoughts?

Oh Lordy yes! It's not paraspikes, but it's just as good. Paraflinch won't be as nerfed after all (electric types being immune to paralysis had me worried)

Back