OU: Strategy The X and Y Metagame Discussion Thread

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

Adaptability off base 135 Atk is almost on par with Scizor's Technician off base 130 Atk (js). Chances are it won't be too metagame shaking aside from a piercing Close Combat. :/

unsheathed said:
Information from a Nintendo Dream interview:
- There is an adjustment to the inheritance system of breeding.

Considering I breed quite a bit, is there any news on what exactly was changed?

Someone figured out close estimates on this generation's starters. None of them look particularly good. Actual stats will be somewhere around these:

Chesnaught
Grass / Fighting

Health = 100
Attack = 100
Defense = 120
Sp.Attack = 75
Sp.Defense = 70
Speed = 65

Greninja
Water / Dark

Health = 90
Attack = 85
Defense = 70
Sp.Attack = 95
Sp.Defense = 65
Speed = 125

Delphox
Fire / Psychic

Health = 85
Attack = 60
Defense = 70
Sp.Attack = 115
Sp.Defense = 90
Speed = 100

Chesnaught
Grass / Fighting

Health = 100
Attack = 100
Defense = 120
Sp.Attack = 75
Sp.Defense = 70
Speed = 65
Ehh. It has very nice defensive stats for a Grass type, but not the best of resistances. I can see this trying to compete with Tangrowth with the right movepool.
Greninja
Water / Dark

Health = 90
Attack = 85
Defense = 70
Sp.Attack = 95
Sp.Defense = 65
Speed = 125
If Greninja gets Water Spout somehow, slap a Choice Specs on this right now and watch the fireworks. With the right moves, Greninja can really make use of that 125 Speed. It resembles Infernape, but is too weak to run a mixed set and will likely be a Choice user. My favorite of the three.
Delphox
Fire / Psychic

Health = 85
Attack = 60
Defense = 70
Sp.Attack = 115
Sp.Defense = 90
Speed = 100
I see almost no use in using this over Victini unless it gets Psycho Boost or something like that. The stats of Delphox don't specifically impress me.

~AoH

I agree. Unless the starters get AMAZING move selections and abilities, I believe they'll fare worse than the gen 5 starters did. Remember Ninetales before Drought? Delphox has worse stats and more weaknesses than that (although it does have slightly better SAtk). Greninja looks like it will be a faster Crawdaunt (but with 2/3 the attack power and almost no compensation in SAtk), and Chesnaught has it worse than Tangrowth (no SAtk option and worse typing. speed and SDef are not remarkably higher either).

My first impression is that Greninja looks to be the most threatening. It really reminds me of Starmie. When you look at Starmie, base 115 Speed is awesome, but 100 sp. attack in this metagame is rather average, and 60/85/85 defenses aren't the greatest either. (Not bad, but not the greatest.) Starmie makes up for it though in its ability to hit with amazing type coverage- no matter what you have out, Starmie can hit it super-effectively between Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Thunder(bolt), Psychic, Grass Knot, and HP Fire.

Greninja reminds me of this a lot. Awesome speed, less-than-ideal but not bad attack and special attack (85ish and 95ish). With Life Orb and super-effective coverage though, it has the potential to hit a lot harder than one would think. With 85 attack as well, we could also see it potentially run a mixed set. I would assume as a Water-type it gets the stereotypical water-type moves in Surf, Waterfall, and Hydro Pump, as well as Ice Beam/Ice Punch for coverage. As a Dark-type we might see Dark Pulse or Crunch. It's got a free slot on Hidden Power to work with. Rain boosting its power (via politoed) isn't a bad thing either (although running 2 mono-waters is kind of meh.) With 125 speed I feel like it could clean weakened teams up really well. Perhaps not in OU, but maybe in like UU or RU.

The other ones are just...depressing. Chesnaught is really depressing. It honestly seems like a less good Tangrowth as far as offense is concerned, and a less good torTERROR as far as defense is concerned. Although if it gets STAB Close Combat, that could change in a hurry. Grass/Fighting offensive STAB doesn't seem that bad. Delphox is also dissapointing, although Fire Blast/Psychic for Offensive STAB off of base 115 is something ninetales wishes it had. It gets the added bonus that a lot of pokemon that resist fire in the lower tiers (ie: Rhyperior) are physically-based, and would thus take a lot of damage from Psychic and/or Hidden Power.

According to a leaker, Greninja has Dragon Dance.

Ninja Frog is looking like it could see decent usage.

Skrelp's evolution, Dragalge, is (supposedly) Poison / Dragon. I mean, it has Dragon in it's name and it's used by the Dragon-type E4, so it must be Dragon/Poison.

Anyways, this is a pretty sexy typing since not only does it remove its weakness to Fairy-type, it also lets it hit Fairy-types for Super Effective damage. Yeah yeah, Fairy/Steel shits on it pretty bad though.

x4: —
x2: Dragon, Ice, Ground, Psychic
x1: Fairy, Normal, Flying, Rock, Ghost, Steel, Dark
x0.5: Fire, Water, Electric, Bug, Fighting, Poison
x.025: Grass
x0: —

notbad.jpg

Goodra, Dragon-type, Hydration
HP: ~85
Atk: ~90
Def: ~80
Sp.Atk: ~115
Sp.Def: ~145
Speed: ~85

I hoped they wouldn't, but they're still adding new toys for rain to play with. Jesus Christ Game Freak.

inb4 Goodra earns Manaphy status (BL above OU)

Approximated Mewtwo-Y Base Stats:

106/150/80/204/120/150

Where is your god now.

unsheathed said:
Goodra, Dragon-type, Hydration
HP: ~85
Atk: ~90
Def: ~80
Sp.Atk: ~115
Sp.Def: ~145
Speed: ~85

I hoped they wouldn't, but they're still adding new toys for rain to play with. Jesus Christ Game Freak.

*flips table 360 degrees* Sure, it's somewhat slow and lacking in physical defense, but the sheer power of uninvested STAB moves from such a wall that has Hydration ... Vaporeon would be all but outclassed if this was part-Water. Dragon is an okay typing for its use, but this is definitely an improvement over regular Kingdra.

Mewtwo-Y needs to just get out. Deoxys-A on roids.

~AoH

TPO3 said:

106/150/80/204/120/150

Where is your god now.

Not to mention it's new ability of Insomnia means Darkrai can no longer put it to sleep ad 2HKO it O_O

P.DelSlayer said:
TPO3 said:

106/150/80/204/120/150

Where is your god now.

Not to mention it's new ability of Insomnia means Darkrai can no longer put it to sleep ad 2HKO it O_O
dat crap Def tho. Just land a solid STAB Sucker Punch and GG Megatwo :/ (the base 106 HP might still let it survive tho, but there's still Espeed and other priority after that)

Sylveon
HP: 110
ATT: 60
DEF: 65
SpATT: 95
SpDEF: 130
Speed: 65

It's not good, but it's not bad either. Cute Charm is a pretty terrible ability to have, though.

unsheathed said:
Sylveon
HP: 110
ATT: 60
DEF: 65
SpATT: 95
SpDEF: 130
Speed: 65

It's not good, but it's not bad either. Cute Charm is a pretty terrible ability to have, though.

Sylveon is somewhat depressing, agreed. If they exchanged the Defense with the SAtk and gave it a better ability, I'd be happy. But at least it isn't a total embarrassment *coughflareoncough*.

~AoH

Doublade
HP: 55
ATT: 100
DEF: 150
SpATT: 50
SpDEF: 45
Speed: 40

This thing gets Eviolite. To put into perspective of how bulky Eviolite Doublade is, Garchomp needs Choice Band or Swords Dance to 2HKO with Earthquake. (and Terrakion 16hkos with Stone Edge :p). Dunno if it gets Pain Split or WoW, but this seems like the kind of defensive tank that could be awesome in lower tiers, especially with Wish support.

And it's evolution.

Aegislash.
HP: 60
ATK: 55
DEF: 155
SpATK: 60
SpDEF: 145
Spe: 60
Ability: Changes forme depending on the move chosen to attack with. Formes are Defense (stats shown above) and Attack (swap the attack and defense stats). Forme change happens before using the move. Supporting moves cause a swap to the Defense forme, while offensive moves swap to the Attack forme.

Has a move called King Shield which has protect-level priority, and halves the attack of any opponent who makes physical contact. It causes Aegislash to switch to the Defense forme if it isn't already.

I like this guy. The 60/155/145 defenses are about as high as Deo-D and Registeel, only Aegislash has a much better defensive typing. The ability also seems really neat on paper. 155/145 offenses are obscene, though 60 Spe is not (though it does get Automize to mitigate it somewhat).

Iron Head / Shadow Sneak / King's Shield / Automize OR Shadow Claw (hasn't been confirmed if it learns it) OR Head Smash seems like a possible standard moveset for it. Iron Head + Shadow Sneak + Stealth Rock does 98.98% to CB Garchomp.

Aegislash gets all of my yes. I know some don't like the concepts Pokémon comes up with, but I love this evolution line. Aegislash puts a whole new spin on offense and defense, and the versatility and typing of it are amazing. This is definitely my favorite of the new Pokémon. It reminds me of Dusknoir, but with many boosts added on.

~AoH

One of the leakers has said that Togepi is retyped to pure Fairy.

Fairy/Flying Togekiss is pretty much going to happen now. inb4 tdl

In terms of defense:
Weak to: Rock, Ice, Electric, Poison, Steel
Resists: Dark, Bug (x4), Fighting (x4), Grass
Immune: Dragon, Ground

Fairy/Flying Togekiss vs OU's top dragons

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite ExtremeSpeed vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 30.29 - 35.65%
4 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 22.52 - 26.54%
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 21.98 - 26%
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 40.48 - 47.72%
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 31.36 - 36.99%
252+ Atk Choice Band Haxorus Aqua Tail vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 36.46 - 43.16%

Hydreigon is pretty much the only one that threatens Togekiss now, but its 4x weak to Fairy-type STAB.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 49.86 - 58.71%

I think Togekiss might just be coming back to OU or every dragon is going to start carrying stone edge for it.

Back