15prc7o.png
xerneas_sprite___pokemon_g_r_b_by_chubbylobster-d625c0x.png
sylveon_sprite___pokemon_g_r_b_by_chubbylobster-d624s2o.png
mew_y_mewthree_sprite___pokemon_green_by_chubbylobster-d61y5uj.png
yveltal_sprite___pokemon_g_b_r_by_chubbylobster-d62546v.png
mt2wk5.png
honedge_s_rby_sprite_by_mylittlekeldeo-d6c7q2z.png

The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread
Expectations, hopes, and thoughts for the potential X and Y metagame!
(cool sprites by chubbylobster and mylittlekeldeo)
(3/4 of those guys will prolly be uber lol)

Let's face it, generation five was an overall bad generation for competitive battling. The next generation of games will either continue with that infamy or fix (or alleviate lol) the problems. Even though the games are a distance away, we as competitive players can still talk about our hopes, expectations, and thoughts for the future. What exactly is it some of you are looking for? Perhaps new moves and abilities? Interesting items? A specific type of Pokemon? Discuss!

Interesting things we know so far:
  • [MOVE] Parting Shot - Lowers the opponent's Attack and Special Attack and switches out.
    • Not only does this move give VoltTurn a new toy, it also helps anything coming off the switch get a safer entrance. Pairing it with hazards might be cool as well due to the drop basically forcing a switch.
  • [MOVE] Parabolic Charge - An Electric-type move that damages the opponent and restores 50% of the damage dealt.
    • Basically this is an Electric-type version of Giga Drain. Hopefully GameFreak gives us some interesting new Pokemon because I'm not seeing any current ones being able to utilize it.
  • [MOVE] Moonblast and Fairy Wind - Both are Fairy-type moves. Moonblast lowers the opponent's Attack if it connects.
    • Nice to know we're getting more a few Fairy-type moves, but I can't really say much without seeing the accuracy and damage. I can possibly assume that Fairy Wind is a weak move though just by the name.
  • (RUMOR) [MOVE] Belch - A Poison-type move that has a base power of 120. The user must consume a held Berry to perform it.
    • Poison-type isn't exactly a great offensive type unless Fairy-type becomes a big deal. The power behind the move makes it sound good despite the weird requirements. Maybe it might be effective with a Poison-type using a pinch berry strategy?
  • (RUMOR) [MOVE] Draining Kiss - A Fairy-type attack that heals the user for the same amount of damage performed. It has a base power of 60.
    • The base power is far too low to get any real use out of it, although getting all of the health from the damage you deal sounds a little cool.
  • [MECHANIC] Fairy-type - It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it. No word yet on what it resists. A few Pokemon will receive a type change to Fairy, such as Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy), Marril (Water/Fairy), and possibly Mawile (Steel/Fairy).
    • It looks interesting so far.
  • (RUMOR) [MECHANIC] Dual-typed Attacks No details were really give on this.
    • This is how I think it might work: Let's say ThunderPunch is now an Electric/Fighting-type move. A Pokemon uses it on Swampert, a Water/Ground-type. The first type of the move, Electric, will attack the Pokemon's primary type, Water. The second type of the move, Fighting, will attack the Pokemon's secondary type, Ground. The effectiveness of the moves is then averaged together (in this case it is x1.5). If the Pokemon is just a single type, both of the move's types are calculated on the Pokemon's type and then averaged together (ex: Jolteon will be hit x.75 by ThunderPunch). Just a thought. =p

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

Why is metagame spelled like that in both the title and header? :eek:

unsheathed said:
  • [MOVE] Parabolic Charge - An Electric-type move that damages the opponent and restores 50% of the damage dealt.
    • Basically this is an Electric-type version of Giga Drain. Hopefully GameFreak gives us some interesting new Pokemon because I'm not seeing any current ones being able to utilize it.

I could see Zapdos using it on a Substitute set, maybe Magnezone too. I'm not sure how effective it'd be but those are the only two Pokemon I can think of.

Parting Shot seems really powerful. Its like a mini-Memento that doesn't make you sacrifice a mon: whatever you switch in can almost certainly take a hit from what it came in on and kill it back (if the other mon is an offensive one) or have an easy time setting up (assuming the other mon is a defensive one that can't give it a bad status condition). It seems powerful in conjunction with Dugtrio, who generally has trouble taking even one powerful hit, but who can now come in on a -1/-1 enemy mon, possibly without taking switch-in damage.

Belch seems pretty useless as it is one-use unless some mon that gets it also has Harvest (and Poison STAB, seems weak without it imo). Of course, we only have 2 mons with Harvest so far and none of them look like they would get Belch and both have mediocre stats, but Harvest seems like it has a lot of potential so I'm hoping at least that we'll get a mon that can actually (ab)use it well in OU.

Sadly I doubt that they will get rid of some of the things that screwed up gen 5 (at least for me) like Team Preview and I don't think a lot that Nintendo can do will fix the huge power level increase that Gen 5 gave us-if anything, it'll just keep getting worse.

The Dual-Typed attacks seem like an interesting mechanic. I would like to see how it plays out.

This seems like it is going to be an interesting next season for VGC.

Parting Shot is easily the stand-out move of this batch. If it goes the way I think it will be (and hope), it will be Normal or Dark and available to more than a select group of mons (hopefully via TM). This is a staple move of the generation. Just imagine throwing in Kyurem-B to Sub up in front of something or Thundurus-T finally have a chance to set up in spite of its normally paper-thin defenses. This move gave a great revival to the Volt-turn strategy by allowing the sweepers to come in much more easily. I love it already.

Dual-typing sounds cool, but until we know how that works, we really have nothing else that stands out imo.

~AoH

Parting Shot could be used to switch into a Pokemon with Arena Trap or Shadow Tag pretty well.

Belch would be nice if there would be a nice Pokemon with Harvest to attack repeatedly (preferably with STAB).

Dual-Type attacks are cool but it can be devastating. I would say that the attack calculates damage from type 1 and then for type 2 and they add. For example on Thunder Punch vs Swampert, it would be Electric vs Water/Ground + Fighting vs Water/Ground.

Imagine using parting shot, then switching to an intimidate user... This move seems overpowered IMO.

I wonder if there's gonna be any Fairy-types worth using in OU.

>electric tic pokemon
>nothing able to utilize the draining move

No but in all seriousness, Galvantula may or may not make use of it in UU. Since it's weak to Stealth Rock, the extra health would help ease that a little bit. However Thunder @Compound Eyes is pretty hard to pass up. :\

Parting Shot seems pretty ridiculous. We've seen what U-turn did to the metagame, followed by how Volt Switch just added to that. Parting Shot is going to be huge for offensive teams. Trying to get a frail pokemon in becomes much easier off of a -1/-1 pokemon. I would like to know, though, how Magic Bounce and Magic Coat affect this move. Do I get hit with the -1/-1 and then switch out, effectively being Baton Pass? Do I get hit with the -1/-1 and then not switch out? Kinda interested in that mechanic. I like that Taunt can stop this move, though.

Fairy-type IMO is going to be the biggest shake up to the metagame, however it's hard to tell until we know exactly which pokemon get it. If it's stuck on pokemon like Clefable and Mawile, I still doubt they'll rise higher than UU due to poor stats. However if something like Blissey ends up being OU, then screw that lol. It also actually gives you a reason to run Poison and Steel-type coverage options, which before were just crappy attacking types. Dragon-types will like having something with Sludge Bomb or Flash Cannon to help take them out. Also, this /might/ mean the death of DragMag. (Even though Magnezone does still hit fairies super effectively -.-)

Sadly I doubt that they will get rid of some of the things that screwed up gen 5 (at least for me) like Team Preview and I don't think a lot that Nintendo can do will fix the huge power level increase that Gen 5 gave us-if anything, it'll just keep getting worse.

I'm going to actually disagree with this statement for a couple reasons. First, Team Preview, while being evil, I think was a necessary evil in this gen. If things like Terrakion, Multiscale Dragonite, and Volcarona were allowed to run around without Team Preview, the metagame would be pretty screwed up IMO. Also, Dual Weather would be lol. Just when you thought you won the weather war against their Tyranitar, SUPRISE POLITOED. >Scarf Keldeo sweep. However, that's not the point. I actually do think that the Fairy Type (if given to the appropriate pokemon... lolmawile) will actually help slow the meta down considerably. Dragon-types and Fighting-types are a big reason the meta got offensive. (in /multiple/ tiers I might add. UU and RU got hit by Kingdra, Flygon, Druddigon, Mienshao, Scrafty, Heracross, Gallade, and Hitmonlee remember.) Fairy-type is not only immune to dragons, but it hits both dragons and fighters for super-effective damage. Depending on how Fairy-type coverage moves get dispersed, it might be a huge aid in keeping the offensive powerhouses like Dragonite and Terrakion off the field.

EDIT: For example, Celebi in BW OU is a liability because it really is just a big target that says "DRAGON TYPES SWITCH INTO ME LOL!!" If it gets a powerful Fairy-type coverage move, Latias/Latios/Dragonite all of a sudden lose their chance at a free switch-in.

On a side note, Mawile Steel/Fairy. Intimidate + Dragon Resist now getting Dragon Immunity. ALMOST as hilarious as Spin Rotom geting Flying-type AND Levitate AND Air Balloon.

I could be wrong, but I could've sworn WPM or MageLeif or somebody said somewhere(maybe a thread on 4chan) that the dual-typed moves would be like a Flying move that Fighting types get STAB on, and not actually dealing damage of two types at once. I could see something like this impacting the metagame a la Psyshock, provided the moves aren't shit.

However, if we have actual dual typed moves, I think it's likely that they'll be weak and/or poorly distributed similar to the Oath/Pledge/whatever gimmicks. How they could handle things like immunities would be interesting to see. Luckily, retconning moves like ThunderPunch is pretty unlikely. Maybe they'll only deal damage of types that nobody is immune to in order to avoid the complicated mess. That would make Dark, Rock, and Flying the only options(Shedinja, Normal types, Flash Fire).

TPO3 said:

I'm going to actually disagree with this statement for a couple reasons. First, Team Preview, while being evil, I think was a necessary evil in this gen. If things like Terrakion, Multiscale Dragonite, and Volcarona were allowed to run around without Team Preview, the metagame would be pretty screwed up IMO. Also, Dual Weather would be lol. Just when you thought you won the weather war against their Tyranitar, SUPRISE POLITOED. >Scarf Keldeo sweep.

That's the thing though; Team Preview is necessary because there was such a power creep in gen 5 (aka more Pokemon capable of sweeping entire teams, and some capable of sweeping without a single turn setting up or even weakening most of the opponent's mons) which there's no way that gen 6 will reverse, even if fairy types slow down some of the dragons,

I love team preview, it makes battles more strategic and otherwise nasty surprises like for example Flash Fire are not OP.

TPO3 said:
I would like to know, though, how Magic Bounce and Magic Coat affect this move. Do I get hit with the -1/-1 and then switch out, effectively being Baton Pass? Do I get hit with the -1/-1 and then not switch out?

The user of Parting Shot gets the stat drop and then the Magic Bounce / Magic Coat user is allowed to switch. Basically, the Parting Shot user gets screwed and loses all momentum by giving the opposing team momentum. It sounds like a pretty cool idea, however most Magic Bounce / (kind of) Magic Coat users are frail and Psychic. That's pretty terrible considering the current Pokemon that's revealed to get the move will supposedly become Fighting / Dark-type.

Parting Shot sounds like an awesome move, but it's something I'm not looking forward to. While it doesn't harshly lower the attacking stats like Memento, the -1 -1 to both attacking stats is still enough for Pokemon to setup or just get a safe switch in. Another boost to offensive Pokemon is something I'm not looking forward to at all after the offensive mess that was generation five.

A small tidbit: It's suspected that Sableye (and I'm guessing its counterpart Mawile as well) will get an evolution in generation six since it's randomly placed in the new Mewtwo movie. That certainly does seem plausible considering that Sableye and Mawile have extremely low stats and just look basic in terms of design.

... screw that. It doesn't even matter what the Sableye evolution is because of two words: Eviolite Sableye. As if Sableye wasn't already annoying to face, now it can actually survive things better. If this speculation is true then get ready to see a rise in homicide and suicide rates. Keep in mind it's just fan speculation on a Pokemon that's probably in the movie for no real reason, but it's still a pretty terrible thought.

I'm really wondering what they're going to do with the Dreamworld. Are they just going to remove it and not let pokemon get Dreamworld abilities anymore?

If Blissey gets Fairy would that actually be that bad? She just gains a Poison and Steel weakness for a Dragon immunity. It would just do exactly what Gamefreak wants it to do, make Dragon types less viable and make Poison and Steel more viable. Gamefreak you evil geniuses you.

Featherwick said:
I'm really wondering what they're going to do with the Dreamworld. Are they just going to remove it and not let pokemon get Dreamworld abilities anymore?

If Blissey gets Fairy would that actually be that bad? She just gains a Poison and Steel weakness for a Dragon immunity. It would just do exactly what Gamefreak wants it to do, make Dragon types less viable and make Poison and Steel more viable. Gamefreak you evil geniuses you.

Unless Belch is a physical, and becomes usable, sludge bomb and gunk shot are the only usable poison type attacks. Both are special. Steel moves are relatively uncommon in competitive play, and Iron head and Bullet Punch are the only physical moves that are used. Iron head is used almost exclusively on Jirachi. Blissey wouldn't stay in on anything that has bullet punch.

Trading neutrality to Iron Head Jirachi for a dragon immunity is a huge gain for Blissey. In addition, nobody leaves Blissey in on an Iron Head Jirachi.

Imagine Draining Kiss + Technician. Oh lawdy.

Fairy typing looks like Game Freak trying to say "hey look Steel and Poison can be offensive now" and also saying "look Dragon isn't as good now". I think this is really cool. Dragons are really really strong just as a typing, given their only resist is Steel types. With another type out there to rain on its parade, here's hoping DragMag and dragon based teams will take a bit of a hit.

why am I suddenly scared that there will be a new poison or steel move that EVERY DRAGON EVER is going to get

Haha. Blissey.

Blissey can't take any Dragon-types with poor Defense to take the Earthquake/Superpower/Aqua Tail/etc. It also doesn't help when your immunity to Dragon cockblocks the negatives of Outrage. You can try to play that immunity with Choice Dragons, but that's only fun if your hobby is practicing russian roulette in your spare time. I guess you handle Lati@s better, but what's the point when they're going to be using Psyshock lol?

Okay okay it handles Flygon. That's a good physical Dragon right???

The thing we should hope gets Fairy is Togekiss. Complete immunity to the awesome Dragon/Ground combo + Fighting-type resist makes it the best answer to any physical Dragon-type.

Hope they balance stealth rock and increase the number of spinners current metagame is too dam focused on hazards and status , also safeguard should had more turns of being in effect
also make defog usefull so it also remove hazards from our side of the field ( no idea why it removes only the opponents one )

If Mawile gets an evo, that could be pretty ridiculous. Eviolite Mawile or really anything with decent stats and Fairy/Steel typing is insane. Weaknesses are meh, but immunity to poison+dragon and no steel weakness basically cockblocks all dragons, assuming they drop EQ/Fire Blast for Poison/Steel moves.

And Gunk Shot is physical.

Back