Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Stu4488

Aspiring Trainer
I thought I was the only person who was getting shaymin and meleotta repeatedly in legendary treasures lol but yeah I would definately go for an xy box after getting the japanese cards I can't wait to pull the English full arts xerneas is incredible. Hope he's in my booster box!!

scraftyfan#1

Aspiring Trainer
yh it was becoming a joke at the amount of shamin's and meloetta's i was getting, i only got 4 regular EX's which i know wasn't bad but i watched videos of people getting 5 or 6. me too full art yveltal is something i cant wait to pull:D:D:D

Kalyst

Aspiring Trainer
I disagree actually on the Elite Trainer Box, as long as we're not talking about the Plasma Storm ones which are just not as good as the newer ones. If you are a BRAND NEW player or someone who doesn't have anything to start out with, the box is a great value. A storage place for your cards, sleeves, dice (which will server as damage counters + a clear one for "coin flipping") and energy (10 of everything iirc?). The new XY boxes will actually include fairy energy which is far superior to buying a Kalos starter deck for the energy. If the starter decks for XY have usable stuff (basic Xerneas/Yvetal Aromatisse etc) then you could always consider those...(haha .-.) But yeah, I would definitely do an elite trainer box for XY set and then perhaps a box or two to start things off, one XY one Legendary Treasures. ((Also something to note that the Genesect collection box has revs of many staples that are being used but ofc you can always trade around with people out of your XY stuff))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
World Championship Decks

So I've been thinking of getting some World Championship Decks from past formats. Previous formats really intrigue me, and I think it'd be really cool to experience them. The only problem is I don't know which ones are good, or what decks of that year I should get. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to purchase a pair only to find out one was a hard counter to the other. I also don't really want the 2011, 2012, or the 2013 ones. I know those formats very well (well, not so much 2011), and they weren't good enough to the point that I want to replay any of them.

Any help would be appreciated; thanks!

Tibby101

Aspiring Trainer
Tibby101 said:
Price Range: 40-50$
What you are thinking of buying: 2-3 Collector tins and some deck sleeves

~~~Update~~~
I got the Zekrom box and Rayquaza tin

The two best pulls I got were pretty friggin amazing.
I got a Dusknoir super rare (OMG EEEEEEE,)
and a Thundurus full art....
all together pretty good lot ^u^

JungleBeatz

Financial Genius
Looking to buy a Playmat that is Pokémon related or I can have a custom image of my choice. Don't really want to go over 25$ and I typically don't want the standard Pokémon B&W made by Ultra Pro or really any solid color ones unless they're under 10$ after shipping

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
JungleBeatz said:
Looking to buy a Playmat that is Pokémon related or I can have a custom image of my choice. Don't really want to go over 25$ and I typically don't want the standard Pokémon B&W made by Ultra Pro or really any solid color ones unless they're under 10$ after shipping

I do have Korean paper ones.

JungleBeatz

Financial Genius
omahanime said:
JungleBeatz said:

I'm more interested in the "mouse-pad" playmats. I know I can get some really good looking paper ones for relatively cheap.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
RE: World Championship Decks

Machamp The Champion said:
So I've been thinking of getting some World Championship Decks from past formats. Previous formats really intrigue me, and I think it'd be really cool to experience them. The only problem is I don't know which ones are good, or what decks of that year I should get. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to purchase a pair only to find out one was a hard counter to the other. I also don't really want the 2011, 2012, or the 2013 ones. I know those formats very well (well, not so much 2011), and they weren't good enough to the point that I want to replay any of them.

Any help would be appreciated; thanks!

I bought 3 2009 ones and I like them a lot. I feel that anything from 2008-2011 is good, I always liked the primes, LV.X's, legends, and SP stuffs.

scraftyfan#1

Aspiring Trainer
Re: RE: What Should I Buy?

JungleBeatz said:
omahanime said:

I'm more interested in the "mouse-pad" playmats. I know I can get some really good looking paper ones for relatively cheap.

I have red and blue plain design Dek-Prot mats and they can also be used as mouse pads as it says on the box, there a good quality material and after shipping they only cost me £6.50 which i think is around $10.

pokemart123

Aspiring Trainer
New Player- Needs help

Hello one and all.

My name is Martin (good for pokemart) and I am looking at getting in to the Pokemon TCG. I used to play a little bit, but nothing serious (had a Jumpluff deck a few years ago) I have been informed that there is a little tournament at my local gaming club in the next few weeks, and would like to attend. I enjoy playing TCGs competitively, and have had some success with Yugioh and MTG.

I am interested in what packs are best to buy as a new player (UK) and whether the starter decks are any good for the sets in the current rotation?

My girlfriend is also interested in playing the game, and would like to join me in the tournament. She is a fan of cute pokemon, and would like an easy(ish) deck to play around these. As for myself, I would like to play a top tier deck, at a low cost to begin with, and as I grow in skill, move up to more expensive decks.

I hope this post is in the right place, any mod feel free to move it to the correct location.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any reply in advance.

Martin- Pokemart123

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
RE: New Player- Needs help

If you want to buy theme decks to get into the competitive scene.... don't. They are all basically pointless.
AS for packs.... I wouldn't really either.... I would buy singles to get started and if you wan't to get packs get like A LOT of packs
I'm not the most knowledgeable in this are since I was given a lot of stuff when I started out.... so maybe someone else can help here.

Now for where I can really help:
Metagame decks:
Darkrai/Yveltal (with and without Garbodor)
Rayboar & Stoise (new players most likely don't play this because they require Tropical Beach)
Fairies (Xerneas/Aromatisse/Xerneas EX)
Fairies with Techs (Xerneas/Aromatisse/Various Attackers)
Stage 1s (Raichu/Dugtrio/Flareon/Garbodor)
Virizion/Genesect
Lugia (Lugia/Deoxys/Thundurus/Genesect/Others)
Trevanant/Accelgor (It's a Lockdown Deck)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, just tell me if you are interested in any of those and I can help you get a list together for the tournament.

Eron

Is back as of March 24

Well, when I started, I went to a place I knew I could play, I didn't have any good cards, just common stuff and an Articuno EX FA, there, a guy explained me how to play, then he gave me some of his cards, he had a vault full of cards, and made me a simple deck. I would reccomend you to buy just some packs from Plasma Storm to XY that is the current set.

You can take in count all the decks that ATA told you, a simple one to make is Fairies, you only need to buy 2-3 Xerneas tin and 2 Theme Decks of Resilient Life (the one of Xerneas) and you have that deck made.

Another good, and easy deck that you can make is Sigilyph Toolbox. If you have a place where other pleople go to play you can ask them for stuff you need.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Rayboar & Stoise (new players most likely don't play this because they require Tropical Beach)
Never say need. It limits your options in all walks of life.

Eron

Is back as of March 24

Frost Mage said:
AlexanderTheAwesome said:

I run mine with no Tropical Beach, and works wery well.

pokemart123

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately, there aren't really any other players that I know. The tournament is to see how many people turn up on the day. I'll grab a handful of packs today, then I'll research the cards in that list and see what appeals to our play style.
Then I'll be selling the excess yugioh cards I have to fund decks.
What kind of price am I looking at to build a couple of competitive decks?
And are there any "staple" cards, that I should just pick up?

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
pokemart123 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately, there aren't really any other players that I know. The tournament is to see how many people turn up on the day. I'll grab a handful of packs today, then I'll research the cards in that list and see what appeals to our play style.
Then I'll be selling the excess yugioh cards I have to fund decks.
What kind of price am I looking at to build a couple of competitive decks?
And are there any "staple" cards, that I should just pick up?

Competitive decks aren't that expensive. Compared to Yugioh and Magic, they're really cheap (or so I've heard). They can really vary, but I'd say most of the cheap-ish ones are about $80 to $120 (these are all in US dollars). The cheapest can be around $60, and the expensive ones can be around $200, if they use a lot of new and/or ultra rare cards. And the really expensive ones are around $700-$800 ($600 of that is getting a playset of a certain card: Tropical Beach).

There are definitely a lot of staple cards. N, Professor Juniper/Sycamore (they're the same card), Ultra Ball, Professor's Letter, Muscle Band, Colress, Skyla, and Tool Scrapper are all ones I can think of off the top of my head.

To answer your previous post, the cheapest top tier deck that's easy(ish) to play is probably Plasma. It uses Thundurus EX, Deoxys EX, Lugia EX, Snorlax, and Genesect EX, and is basically a fast beatdown deck. Lugia EX takes extra prizes with it's attack, and Snorlax is really powerful for a non-EX. Thundurus gets Energy on your Pokemon faster, and Deoxys boosts their damage. Genesect is for it's ability to bring up 1 of your opponent's benched Pokemon. Once the Xerneas and Yveltal tins come out mid-march, Darkrai/Yveltal will be pretty cheap. Most of the stage 2 decks need Tropical Beach to match the power of the other top tier decks, which is the only $150+ card in the format right now.

Sadly, there aren't too many good cute Pokemon right now. The only ones I can think of that use them are really complicated gimmick decks that aren't that great. There's Empoleon, which can play Leafeon and Emogla (< has the cutest card art in the history of forever), and is really simple to play. If Aromatisse counts as cute (I personally think it's hideous), then there's the Fairy deck, which I'd say is easy to moderate skill level, depending on the type of Fairy deck you make.

The best packs are probably XY, Plasma Blast, and Legendary Treasures to a lesser extent. Plasma Storm, Plasma Freeze and Boundaries Crossed are also really good, though I would be cautious about buying Boundaries Crossed, since it's probably going to be illegal within 6 months.

pokemart123

Aspiring Trainer
^This post.
Thank you. Pretty much answered everything I was looking for. I am sorry for being a pain and an utter noob scrub haha.
If anyone can link me to a plasma deck list that I can draw inspiration from, I'd appreciate it massively :)
And on my lunch, I will go and spend a lot of money on packs to keep the girlfriend happy :) she just loves opening them.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus

Eron said:
Frost Mage said:

I run mine with no Tropical Beach, and works wery well.

RayBoar without Beach 4lyf.

Machamp The Champion said:
The best packs are probably XY, Plasma Blast, and Legendary Treasures to a lesser extent. Plasma Storm, Plasma Freeze and Boundaries Crossed are also really good, though I would be cautious about buying Boundaries Crossed, since it's probably going to be illegal within 6 months.
Plasma Blast pull rates <<<<<<< walking on glass, in my opinion. Also, I highly doubt that Boundaries Crossed will be rotated out this coming season.