Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
pokemart123 said:
^This post.
Thank you. Pretty much answered everything I was looking for. I am sorry for being a pain and an utter newbie scrub haha.
If anyone can link me to a plasma deck list that I can draw inspiration from, I'd appreciate it massively :)
And on my lunch, I will go and spend a lot of money on packs to keep the girlfriend happy :) she just loves opening them.

Don't worry about it. Everyone starts out as a scrub, lol.

I don't want to get in trouble for linking to another site, but here's a place to find a skeleton list, and discuss the deck in general. That list has 4 extra spots (not 44, lol), so you can add some cards from the "good additions" section.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Machamp The Champion said:
pokemart123 said:
^This post.
Thank you. Pretty much answered everything I was looking for. I am sorry for being a pain and an utter newbie scrub haha.
If anyone can link me to a plasma deck list that I can draw inspiration from, I'd appreciate it massively :)
And on my lunch, I will go and spend a lot of money on packs to keep the girlfriend happy :) she just loves opening them.

I don't want to get in trouble for linking to another site, but here's a place to find a skeleton list, and discuss the deck in general. That list has 4 extra spots (not 44, lol), so you can add some cards from the "good additions" section.

Another site, Machamp? Really? :p

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
Luispipe8 said:
Machamp The Champion said:

Another site, Machamp? Really? :p

I meant "I didn't want to link to another site, so here's a place on Pokebeach that has a good list". I can understand how you were confused about that, lol.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Oh, you meant that... XD A "so" instead of "but" would have made all more simple... :p

Ps.: 400th Post! Woohoo!!

Ryan Gleason

Aspiring Trainer
Price Range: ~$100
What you are thinking of buying: Booster Box
Any options to choose from and why (Optional but helpful): Something from pre-Black and White.

I just recently got started back on collecting. I am just interested in collecting, not competitive. My goal is to get one of every pokemon, regardless of set. I have already got a good bit of Black and White and XY cards so I thought my best best would be to look into sets pre-that.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
For the record: if you're looking to collect cards of every Pokémon, you'd probably get more bang for your buck by buying singles rather than a booster box, since with a box you're much more likely to get doubles. That said, it's totally understandable if you'd rather buy a booster box even if it is unoptimal; it's my favourite way to buy cards, too, since I feel it's the most fun. :)

If you do want to do the booster box route, I'd probably suggest a box of one of the larger sets from the DPPt-era. The larger sets would give you a better chance of getting more different Pokémon and less doubles (Supreme Victors has 153 different cards, Legends Awakened has 146, and Secret Wonders has 132). The biggest downside to these booster boxes is that they're older and a bit out of your price range; Supreme Victors has a BIN on Ebay right now for $133; the others aren't available on Ebay at the moment, so I can't grab a quick price. More affordable would be sets from the HGSS series, though those aren't as large so you'd be more likely to double up. These seem to be available for ~$92-$150 (depending on which set) on Ebay.

Ryan Gleason

Aspiring Trainer
Athena said:
For the record: if you're looking to collect cards of every Pokémon, you'd probably get more bang for your buck by buying singles rather than a booster box, since with a box you're much more likely to get doubles. That said, it's totally understandable if you'd rather buy a booster box even if it is unoptimal; it's my favourite way to buy cards, too, since I feel it's the most fun. :)

If you do want to do the booster box route, I'd probably suggest a box of one of the larger sets from the DPPt-era. The larger sets would give you a better chance of getting more different Pokémon and less doubles (Supreme Victors has 153 different cards, Legends Awakened has 146, and Secret Wonders has 132). The biggest downside to these booster boxes is that they're older and a bit out of your price range; Supreme Victors has a BIN on Ebay right now for $133; the others aren't available on Ebay at the moment, so I can't grab a quick price. More affordable would be sets from the HGSS series, though those aren't as large so you'd be more likely to double up. These seem to be available for ~$92-$150 (depending on which set) on Ebay.

Thanks for the info. I do realize that buying singles might be easier but like you said opening packs is fun. Ill look into those sets.

Ryan Gleason

Aspiring Trainer
Ryan Gleason said:
Price Range: ~$100
What you are thinking of buying: Booster Box
Any options to choose from and why (Optional but helpful): Something from pre-Black and White.

I just recently got started back on collecting. I am just interested in collecting, not competitive. My goal is to get one of every pokemon, regardless of set. I have already got a good bit of Black and White and XY cards so I thought my best best would be to look into sets pre-that.

An update to this post, I have created a spreadsheet of every pokemon I own at least one card of. If you guys want to take a look at it and suggest what sets I should look at that would be great. Thanks.

Here is the link. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuAnBUibN6LMdHE1clhLNklNNlhIeEFSN09SOFN5TXc&usp=sharing

pokemat

Aspiring Trainer
I have been wanting to just splurge and buy a whole case of 6 booster boxes. i know its a lot to spend, but i've saved up the money to do it and im thinking that in selling some doubles ect would help me recover a little bit back at least.

my question is, do you think the new Flash Fire set would be a good set to do this for? will the charizard card value make getting a case worth it? assuming i sell secret rares/full arts within the first week they come out, the BC charizard secret rare was going for 90 when it came out. lets say i get one secret rare and one full art, could i make maybe 150 back just on that? plus maybe another 100 on code cards.

thats my theory at least, im asking here to see if its true or not. its also assuming that i GET both of those cards. i figure im bound for at least one secret rare though.

are there other playable, valuable cards to sell off? as far as trainers ect? im more of a collector so i dont know much about whats going to be good. i know that the charizards will make some money back from a collectors stand point, but what about from players?

is this a good set to get a case or should i wait for another set with more valuable and playable cards?

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
pokemat said:
I have been wanting to just splurge and buy a whole case of 6 booster boxes. i know its a lot to spend, but i've saved up the money to do it and im thinking that in selling some doubles ect would help me recover a little bit back at least.

my question is, do you think the new Flash Fire set would be a good set to do this for? will the charizard card value make getting a case worth it? assuming i sell secret rares/full arts within the first week they come out, the BC charizard secret rare was going for 90 when it came out. lets say i get one secret rare and one full art, could i make maybe 150 back just on that? plus maybe another 100 on code cards.

thats my theory at least, im asking here to see if its true or not. its also assuming that i GET both of those cards. i figure im bound for at least one secret rare though.

are there other playable, valuable cards to sell off? as far as trainers ect? im more of a collector so i dont know much about whats going to be good. i know that the charizards will make some money back from a collectors stand point, but what about from players?

is this a good set to get a case or should i wait for another set with more valuable and playable cards?
I'd go for it, Flashfire looks so promising, I don't think you'll regret it. :)

Shök

Aspiring Trainer
Price Range: $20.00 - $30.00
What you are thinking of buying: Red Genesect Collection

I'm looking to play Pokemon competitively. However, I just left the Yugioh TCG, so I'm not looking to spend too much money...yet.

A friend of mine who plays Pokemon told me that the Red Genesect Collection box would be a pretty good start for $20.00. What do you guys think? I currently have the Team Plasma Druddigon Starter deck, Fennekin Structure deck, and a Deoxys Ex tin which had some supporters/trainers.

Thanks for the help!

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Go for the Genesect Box, it has most the Staples you'll need. If you can buy a second one, don't doubt to get it.

richiel1991

Schoolboy Richie
Price Range: 300-500

What you are thinking of buying:
Either: 1st edition sealed booster pack base set, U.S. sealed box of either 1st edition jungle or 1st edition fossil, 1st edition base set sealed box of another language, U.S. sealed box base set, or Neo-Genesis 1st edition sealed box

Any options to choose from and why (Optional but helpful):
I am wondering what everyone's opinions are on what would would hold its value the longest? I have a bunch of money saved on credit card rewards that I can use to buy one the options listed above. So I will be using them as collectibles to potentially sell later in the future. Thanks in advance

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
The thing about those boxes is that the second you open them, their value goes way down. But I'm not an expert on older (and extremely sought after) sets like that.

Mr.Pokeman

Aspiring Trainer
[split] Best Places to Pre-Order From

Are buying booster boxes a good way to make your money back and have cards left over? I was thinking of buying a box of Flashfire when it comes out but will it be worth it if I want to try and get my money back?

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Buying booster boxes and opening them is a gamble. You might get your money's worth, you might not. You could get lucky and get an amazing box, but you could also be very unlucky and end up with a box worth half of what you paid for it or less.

So, no, I'd say it's not a good way to make money because there's way too much risk involved.

Archa000x

Aspiring Trainer
So I've seen some OLD data on pull rates. But I'm wondering if it's worth buying a box of Flashfire? It seems that Charizard and Lysandre are about the best... would they be worth the $95? I'm also looking at buying Shining Charizard, Rayquaza gold star and a few other collectibles like that. I can see Lysandre being used in standard, but M Charizard?

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
If you're only buying a box for a couple of cards, you're probably better off just buying singles. Pull rates are very swingy in recent English booster boxes. That said, Flashfire itself is a pretty fun set, though I can't comment on the competitive use.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
Archa000x said:
So I've seen some OLD data on pull rates. But I'm wondering if it's worth buying a box of Flashfire? It seems that Charizard and Lysandre are about the best... would they be worth the $95? I'm also looking at buying Shining Charizard, Rayquaza gold star and a few other collectibles like that. I can see Lysandre being used in standard, but M Charizard?

Which Charizard are you talking about? My guess is the FA will probably be around 40, and the Megas will probably be around 30 each, once Prerelease hype has gone down. Lysandre FA will probably around 15-20, depending on how playable it is, and I think it will be fairly playable.

As for how competitive the set is, there are very few cards that will be worth a lot of money, but there are a fair amount of above average Trainers, Rares, Holos and Ultra Rares.