Collecting The English Booster Box "Pull Rates" Thread

My friend got a box of X Y, and I videotaped her opening it. Her box was somewhat dissapointing.

3 EX- emonga, yveltal, and mega venusaur
0 FA EX
she seemed to get most rares and holos- 1 pink vivillion, rev yveltal, regular holo yveltal,
1 DCE
1 rainbow energy --- odd that most uncommons she got 3 of but these she just got 1 of each
0 xerneas/rev xerneas.

Got a box. was very disappointed

3 EX- emolga, yveltal, and blastoise
0 FA EX

I think this will be my last box I buy. The cost vs. return is not even enough for me to justify getting sealed products anymore. Which is too bad because It probably would have only taken one full art to keep me happy

catchum said:

0 FA EX

I think this will be my last box I buy. The cost vs. return is not even enough for me to justify getting sealed products anymore. Which is too bad because It probably would have only taken one full art to keep me happy

That is another reason why people have stopped collecting English and started collecting Japanese or Korean.

If you're not a player but a collector then Japanese or Korean cards are better to get. The quality of English full arts has gone up (I hated those non-texture cards....), but the pull rates and the cost make it so much better. I can buy 5 Japanese boxes for every English box, but that's because of the insane prices for English boxes here. I've gotten two Japanese boxes now and they gave me 7 EX cards (1 FA).

Korean is even cheaper, I've seen boxes of 30 packs go for $20 and free shipping! I'm not sure about the quality, but I'm sure the best quality cards are the Japanese ones.

catchum said:

0 FA EX

Don't give up, this set's pull rates have just been funky. Hopefully they get better in Flashfire.

Pull rates in English cards have been all over the place since Plasma. I don't really think they're going to improve. Sure, you can get really lucky, but you're just as likely (in fact, probably MORE likely) to get mediocre or bad pulls, since you're not even guaranteed 2 EXes and 1 FA per box anymore.

Riraito said:
If you're not a player but a collector then Japanese or Korean cards are better to get. The quality of English full arts has gone up (I hated those non-texture cards....), but the pull rates and the cost make it so much better. I can buy 5 Japanese boxes for every English box, but that's because of the insane prices for English boxes here. I've gotten two Japanese boxes now and they gave me 7 EX cards (1 FA).

Korean is even cheaper, I've seen boxes of 30 packs go for $20 and free shipping! I'm not sure about the quality, but I'm sure the best quality cards are the Japanese ones.

Drawback for Korean cards is that you get very few rare cards. I think 7-10.

I got a Pansage reverse holo that was upside down. What's up with that Pokemon Company?

Only reason I still even buy packs from the English sets is because I like opening packs, and I can't help it. I also like being able to read the cards. And I'm not a big fan of Japan's gray borders for non holos. Although yellow isn't fantastic either. And the quality of the full arts are slightly... better than what they used to be. The BW base-Noble Victories FAs were horrible, and Next Destinies-Dragons Exalted had some bad full arts with them being overly textured or with really bad patterns.

Japanese boxes are only 25$-30$... in person in JAPAN. All the ebay sellers try to sell this for much higher, up to 60$ a box. ...well... I think that's true anyway. Don't know anyone in Japan to confirm that.

But English boxes and packs are pretty overpriced what you get. A 100$ box could get you 40$ worth of cards, and that includes all those commons and uncommons you didn't want. And if you get lucky, the most you'll probably get is even out at 100$ worth of cards. Unless there's a super popular crazy hot EX card like Mewtwo EX back a year ago, then it'll be worth it.

omahanime said:
catchum said:

0 FA EX

That is another reason why people have stopped collecting English and started collecting Japanese or Korean.

Am I the only one around here who still collects English?

I mean, I have some awesome Japanese cards but I only manage to get 1 or 2 Japanese cards a year (with the exception of buying a Megalo Cannon box for my birthday last year). English cards are becoming more decent, the quality is finally going up. If you look at a Genesect EX FA compared to Reshiram EX FA you can obviously see that there are some differences. My point being that I'd prefer a decent English card for maybe 20 bucks compared to an awesome Japanese card for 30 + shipping that I'll look at maybe 2 or 3 dozen times a year.

Plus it seems that pull rates for X and Y have gone up. In 7 packs me and my friend have gotten Yveltal EX, Mega Blastoise EX, and 2 holos.

No, actually, I prefer English cards because they have more value than Japanese in some cases, for example Tropical Beach. And well, they are more playable than Japanese ones.

Eron said:
No, actually, I prefer English cards because they have more value than Japanese in some cases, for example Tropical Beach. And well, they are more playable than Japanese ones.

I'm pretty sure Japanese Beaches are much more expensive than the English ones. I know back when English ones were $100, Japanese ones were around $250-$300.

MrSquarepants said:
Japanese boxes are only 25$-30$... in person in JAPAN. All the ebay sellers try to sell this for much higher, up to 60$ a box. ...well... I think that's true anyway. Don't know anyone in Japan to confirm that.

You don't need to be in Japan to know that. AmiAmi lists their prices in yen, and although they do typically give a discount off the MSRP, they tell you what that discount is. Simple math shows us that the MSRP of a typical Japanese booster box is ¥3000, about US$29.50 or €21,30.

Ebay sellers are definitely a "ripoff", as are most American resellers, but you can get better deals by buying though AmiAmi or sellers here on PokéBeach. The reasons for resellers having higher costs is to offset their importing costs and to make a profit themselves.

Boxes on AmiAmi are around ¥2500, which is already a discount. I used unregistered SAL for the BW9 box that's currently in the mail and the total wasn't even ¥3000. I paid around 22 euros, which will get you about 5 English packs here.

Don't buy boxes on Ebay, really, don't do it. Unless it's an older box, because AmiAmi mostly has newer boxes. I bought the Yveltal/Xerneas half decks and those were like 4 euros a piece. On Ebay? At least 15 euros.

But I understand that there are people who'd like to be able to read their cards. I'm just a collector and I care for the art the most.

I got my box of English X Y recently. I buy English because I am also a player.

My box was ok.
3 EX - xerneas, mega blastoise, skarmory
1 FA EX - Blastoise ex
1 vivillion - the orange one reverse holo
7 regular holo rare
12 reverse holo rare
1 pro sycamore
2 shauna
1 DCE
2 rainbow energy
0 grass, fire, or psychic energy
I find it odd that the energies, shauna, and pro sycamore seem to be so hard to get, when most uncommons I pulled 3 of.

I just bought my first XY Booster Box, after having bought some packs and the theme decks earlier. I am both very pleased and a little disappointed. I got some good cards, but I had a foolish hope that I would be able to get every card except the EX cards within the Box when counting the cards I already have.

So here is what I pulled:

1x Yveltal EX
1x Mega Venusaur EX
1x Xerneas EX FA

1x Talonflame
1x Raichu
1x Trevenant
1x Furfrou
1x Aromatisse
1x Zoroark
1x Greninja
1x Vivillon

1x Simisage
1x Simisear
1x Magcargo
1x Cloyster
1x Starmie
1x Simipour
2x Grumpig
1x Arbok
1x Scolipede
1x Conkeldurr
1x Rhydon
2x Krookodile
1x Malamar
1x Bisharp
2x Wigglytuff
2x Wigglytuff
1x Xerneas
1x Stoutland
1x Bibarel
1x Tauros
1x Swellow

Reverse Holos
1x Simisear
1x Magcargo
1x Lapras
1x Cloyster
1x Raichu
1x Grumpig
1x Dugtrio
1x Rhyperior
1x Malamar
1x Bisharp
1x Wigglytuff
1x Tauros
1x Bibarel

Trainers I have not received yet:
2x Red Card
2x Cassius

2x Double Colorless Energy
2x Rainbow Energy

So over all, I think I got a good box!

I just received a new XY Booster Box, and it was a good one! I've also ordered 1 box of the two newest Plasma sets, plus 2 boxes of Legendary Treasures. They will probably arrive next week, but anyhow, here are the rares, holos, reverse holos and EXs of the box.

Emolga EX
Yveltal EX
Blastoise EX
Emolga EX FA
Venusaur EX FA

Vivillon
Greninja
Raichu
Trevenant
Rhyperior
Zoroark
Aromatisse
Slurpuff

Beedrill
Magcargo
Simisear
Cloyster
Starmie
Simipour
Arbok
Grumpig
Scollipede
Dugtrio
Conkeldurr
Krookodile
Malamar
Malamar
Bisharp
Aegislash
Wigglytuff
Wigglytuff
Xerneas
Tauros
Swellow
Bibarel
Stoutland

RHs
Beedrill
Chesnaught
Delphox
Talonflame
Simipour
Greninja
Scollipede
Gourgeist
Rhydon
Malamar
Wigglytuff
Tauros
Swellow
Stoutland

After 2 boxes pluss about 15 packs, I still haven't got regular Delphox, Chesnaught or Lapras.

So I have opened 2 boxes of Pokemon XY and I got 4 Ultra rares in each box but..
It was exactly the same ultra rares, so I am Very disappointed in that.
It was:
Emolga EX
Blastoise EX Full Art
M Venusaur EX
M Blastoise EX

Don't know about the holos, but I think I got around 7 in each box

Back