Writing The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Nine up!)

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Four up!)

Here are some of the things Reagald and I have in common. We appear not really caring about other pokemon/people. But if somebody we care about gets hurt, we would take on whoever hurt him/her. We are small compare to friends and family. ( I am only 5' 3" while most of my family and friends are 5' 6".) Because we are small, people don't expect us to be able to defend ourselves. Reagald has her spells and I have my black belt. We are always scheming; I do it mostly for fun while Reagald does it to keep alive.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Four up!)

Glad to hear some resemblances.

Quick preview:
“And you think traveling in the daylight is less dangerous?”

“What’s to worry about?”

“Roughly only forty percent of travelers survive in the daylight travel at the deserts of Kahan.” explained Sandra.

Umm… ow. “By sunlight?”

“That and many native desert enemies, such as rogue Sandslash bandits, Cacturne swarms, Trapinches, Mur-” Woah, wait.

“Trapinches?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow. Sandra chuckled to it, probably because she was one before.

“They’re nasty little critters, filling the desert with many holes [oh, the irony]. The moment you fall down one, they jump up from the bottom of the pit and latch their sharp but small teeth onto your leg. They then knock the side to have the sand pouring in, so if you don’t suffocate, you might lose your leg as the searing sand makes contact to your wound. If that doesn’t get a burn, it might get an infection. And if you’re lucky enough to get out, there may be another Trapinch lurking around close by, waiting for you to just step in. And then that one might instead aim for –”

“Alright, I got it.” I interrupted, my paws going up to stop her. She smiled wryly; both of us knew it might not be best to continue with the description. After all, I’m sure she enjoyed those… lovely days.

lol, first they have to escape Hippowdons, now they have to worry about stepping into a Trapinch hole? Wow >.>
there may be another Trapinch lurking around close by, waiting for you to just step in. And then that one might instead aim for –“
What's with the backwards quotation mark at the end? =P (might instead aim for -)

The tragedy... :p

Bah, blame my silly word processing software. >_>

I love the preview, and how this story is progressing overall! Thanks for including some diverse Pokemon in there, now I have an idea of what to use! :)

Thank you for reading up to this point. It's been some time since I written the prologue and we're not even close to halfway of this tale. Well, I don't have thirty hours a day, so I guess I'd have to live with it.

But besides whining about the limited time, I'd like to thank DNA, for joining the editor's position for this fanfic. He's been polishing up with the conventions and other technical aspects of the fanfic. So if you find something wrong, feel free to let me know so I can beat him. Enjoy the next supposedly error-free installation of this fanfic!

P.S. For those of you that think you can get away with the choices on the poll, remember this: the mods always get the last laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Five
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

If you expected me to write more philosophical junk, I’m didn’t. Let’s move on, shall we?

We had traveled for a full day by now, eating when the sun started to rise, creating a shady wall of sand to sleep behind when it was high, one of us awake on the watch, moving on again when it descends for its own rest.

My stomach never felt emptier; being cut from four meals to one a day took a toll on my body. What did they call it… metabolism. It wreaked havoc with my metabolism. I became irritated, in no mood to ask anything. I even forgot about the merchant question.

Sudden, when I took another step, I felt vibrations in the ground. Sandra became alert.

“Stampede?”

“Most likely.”

Stampede? What stam-

I stared as a huge stampede of Hippowdons came running our way.

They didn’t seem to be slowing down either, the entire mass of them. Rayn growled.

“Reagald! Water! You got any?”

“I- Wha-“ I was panicking under the pressure, but before he furthered the explanation, my paw was already running along the edges of the spelltags in the cloak of me. In haste, I pulled out two, both shining illuminating the area before me.

”Signs of Kyogre: Torrential Atmosphere! Signs of Vaporeon: Aqua Piercing!”

The Hippowdons were only four yards away from us as a wall of water formed in front of them, violently protruding spikes at them. They struck into the dense liquid head on, as the spikes nailed their entire front body. Rayn grabbed me, my paw dropping the spelltags in surprise, the two pieces of parchment burned up just an inch before it reached the ground.

We bolted (that is to say, Rayn holding me and Sandra carrying Quar) as I heard loud bellows of pain. I turned around and leaned my body to look out from the side of Rayn’s body to see the front line of Hippowdons not only running into but getting smashed into the painful wall; the beasts from behind shoved them forward, shattering the wall of water in its inefficient but effective style. Those that were crippled by the wall were either trodden over or pushed out of the way. We were running to the left, to get out of their projected path, but they turned direction towards us with an obsessed desire of malice.

I believe I can safely assume they weren’t coming to give us a warm hug.

Sandra slightly turned around, her head arched around at the swarm and she let loose a fully charged Hyper Beam at the center, causing a dent in their formation as those hit stopped in pain. The entire crowd hardly slowed down though, as I come to realize that unless you attack all of them once, someone can still keep going after you.

Arceus, what CAN stop them? They showed no signs of slowing down, and I remember hearing from Roy that Hippowdon can run through the whole night.

Then I wondered how he knew about this; Roy wasn’t the type to pick up rumors often, meaning he most likely experienced it himself… I wonder if he learned that fact the hard way.

Then it struck me: I didn’t have to harm them to slow them down. Running through the remaining thirty-seven spelltags, I pulled out one I didn’t think I’d have to use so early.

“Rayn,” I cried, and he jumped to turn around for me to get a clear sight of them… hundreds of them… My paw lighted up from the brilliant shine of the activating spelltag, tossing it forward as my other paw pointed behind me, indicated Rayn to turn around quickly. For good reason.

”Signs of Lanturn: Shining Oblivion!”

Rayn had faced away by this time, but the entire land around us appeared as if the sun was back up and behind us. The thundering of the stampede stopped as I heard several confused cries… and ramming, many ramming into one another. I caught Sandra’s grin.

“You bought a Lanturn spell?”

“Good stunning capabilities in the sorcerer’s repertoire.”

“A-ha. Remind me not to underestimate you.” I chuckled, enjoying the glory of a sorcerer’s versatility.

The Hippowdons regained order about seven seconds later, when the light was fully gone, but for us, it was far enough to safely get away.

After about three minutes later, when Rayn decided it was absolutely safe, I got down and we resumed walking, hours on end until the sun started to rise again, but we quickly agreed it was best to keep walking; next town was in a few more hours (meaning no nap after a long run from those annoying Hippowdons, less sleep, and a crankier Eevee).

And cranky I was. Utterly miserable I felt, as the rush of the fight and flight crashed into a state of apathetic depression; my body resembling a pitiful mess of fur and dirt, my stomach protesting with its weak protest, my right paw burning in pain, I cared about none of it. A walking fool I was. Everything just came crashing down on my fortune and I’m reduce to walking, perhaps forev-

“There it is! Junny!” Rayn declared, pointing off at the distant signal of civilization.

What idiot names a city “Junny”?

Spending the next ninety minutes staring at... Junny... grow larger in size to my eyes, I resumed walking with the others. Unlike Libren's grand stone bastion and rows of guards, Junny's entrance practically had “vulnerable” and “defenseless” written all over it; not even a gate to keep out an uninvited guest. The only noticeable building I could make out (as I walked in) was the inn, for all the other architectural structures around were plain in color and only had a one story.

The crowd created less noise as well, due to the lower population in comparison, and yet they seemed just a slight bit more cheerful (and I suppose this is just due to the fact that you’re not jammed by the people around you). The selling market woke up and the stores around started to unlock their doors, hanging “Open” signs at the window.

This place stood below Libren in size and status, but it had a more welcoming feel to it. In a way, I could suppose that made sense.

We walked through the markets, Rayn buying a couple of berries for me to eat (I slowly ate them in embarrassment; he knew I was starving the whole time!), Sandra just giving everyone that bodyguard stare, Quar simply resting (the fellow’s seething an anxiety to get off soon. Can’t blame him with all of the people staring at him). Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted something of interest.

“Hey, I’m going to test the weapons over there.” my paws were already moving me there by the time that got out.

“You goin’ to plan on possibly buyin’ one?” Rayn questioned me.

“Maybe… just a cheap one, like a knife.” I replied. Sandra looked at Rayn.

“She can handle herself.” The Flygon tossed me a small bag of coins, enough to by quite a few things at the stall. “Meet us at the inn when you’re done.”

I saluted to them mockingly as they walked off. Now then, let’s get a small weapon to add to my stock of spells; I figured I needed a new weapon type of weapon for two main reasons: 1. Spells are consumable, meaning if I don’t have anymore, I’m done for. Buying a weapon means I still have something to back me up in that case. 2. In a sorcerer against sorcerer match, spells has little power due the constant counter banter (if I use a spell, my opponent would be able to use an opposing, possibly-different spell to counter it). Having a physical weapon allows me to deal more than one method, and may cause the opponent to use an extra spell in defense, or allows me to save a spell to deal with an attack.

And a dagger is the perfect sorcerer’s secondary weapon; cheap, so you can still use the rest of your money on spells; light, allowing you to take out it quickly for a surprise use; and sharp, easily making it great for cutting the enemy’s spelltag before activation. The only downside about the dagger is that it requires close combat, meaning a single mistake results in fatal consequences. Then again, isn’t life usually all or nothing anyway?

I stopped at the stall, weapons amass around it, the person selling them a Ninetales (I must mention he seemed vaguely familiar). My eyes glazed over all of the weapons, all surprisingly of high quality.

“You have quite the selection.” I remarked. To this, I glimpsed a smug smile that vanished almost instantly.

“I collect them and keep them in good condition, for obvious reasons.” He replied. I chuckled. “You want to look at more knives? I’ve got some under the stall.”

“Yes… thank you.”

He looked down and came back up holding a slightly long dagger on both of his paws, as if he was going to hand it to me.

“I think this one would be of interest to you.”

Figures. He started to hand it to me, and I was about to lean over to receive it. He seemed rather generous, as if-

Oh, Arceus. I recognized him. He suddenly flipped his left paw over and his right paw turned around to grip the dagger, thrusting at my throat. I pulled back and narrowly dodged the strike, the tip of the blade millimeters away from touching my nose.

He looked much more handsome than when he didn’t have that assassin’s cloak on… such a shame he wasn’t exactly what I imagined him to be.

I ducked down and ran for it as he set his free left paw onto the table, propelling him to the other side of the stall (where I was, if you can’t imagine), I spotted the next weapons stall and ran towards it; using a spell here is a last resort with so many people around. I heard him pounce from behind, lunging at me. My left foot stamped loosely to roll out of the way.

“You can’t dodge forever!” he cried as he stabbed forward with the knife… and got knocked back as an Interference spelltag struck him in the muzzle, cursing as I continued to get to the other weapons stall.

Note to self: get more Interference tags; I use them extraordinarily often.

He recovered quickly, as I heard him run after me. My left paw swiped a random knife and my right paw unsheathed it, all in time to deflect another stab as I turned around to face him. We stood looking at each other in a quiet stalemate for a brief moment, and then he smiled, lunging at me once more…

Only to get intercepted by one of Rayn’s kicks, the Blaziken’s foot driving into the side of his head, the Ninetales, dropping the knife after losing his grip, flying straight into a brick wall, cracking it on impact, but that didn’t seem enough for Rayn who dashed in for a second kick. He swung it from the side to hit the same spot, but the Ninetales’s eyes broke open and his paw went up in a sudden reflex, catching Rayn’s ankle and – from what I could depict from the Blaziken’s facial expression – catching Rayn himself off guard.

The assassin pulled the leg down, causing Rayn to fall, and made a run for it, leaving the knife behind. I see his suddenly took out his cloak and used it to bag up the items he had out at the stall, running until he was out of sight in the crowd. Rayn cursed and slowly got back up. Then I heard Sandra from behind:

“Very persistent, isn't he?” she asked.

“When I get to Tokar, he better be there, so I can pay him a grand visit!” grorwled Rayn. I tilted my head in curiosity; that tone signified that Rayn was rather familiarized with the Ninetales

“You recognize him? I mean, besides being an assassin.” I questioned. He grunted.

“Dasan is the most feared and annoying Tokar noble in existence: feared for his skill as an assassin, and annoying because he loves to play around.”

Like he did with me. It wasn't a straight assassination he just conducted. He wanted to draw me in and then stab me to my death…

That is annoying; how your hunter is just messing around, as if he knows he’ll eventually get you. Chances are, the game’s never going to be over until one of us loses, and when I say “loses,” it’s pretty much a loss to the end. The question is, how am I supposed to win? Sandra broke the silent pause.

“In any case, we’re just going to have to be just cautious. Dasan may recognize you, but many won’t be able to identify you as a noble when you’re looking like this.” For a moment, I was about to inquire by what she meant, but then I realized that I was filthy, unrefined as any commoner is; to not have had a bath ever since I left the palace easily allowed this ridiculous film of unhygienic, oily dirt into my fur, a natural disguise among the crowd. On recall, I didn’t think Dasan neglected to wash, as his fur coat was as shiny as a pure coat would, unlike my dull poor-excuse-for-a-noble’s-appearance.

“In any case, we need to get a move on, as the more we move, the less chances of us getting tracked.” Quar commented, causing me to look at him for the first time. The Sandslash no longer rode Sandra’s back but instead stood on the ground, a new cloth covering the wounded area. Sandra nodded.

“We rest for the day again and head out at the usual time.” she proposed.

“No.” Everyone turned to look at me. “If we go now, as long as we survive the scorching sun, we’ll be ahead our pursuers. We sacrifice one danger for another.” Rayn frowned at this.

“And you think traveling in the daylight is less dangerous?”

“What’s to worry about?”

“Roughly only forty percent of travelers survive in the daylight travel at the deserts of Kahan.” explained Sandra.

Umm… ow. “By sunlight?”

“That and many native desert enemies, such as rogue Sandslash bandits, Cacturne swarms, Trapinches, Mur-” Woah, wait.

“Trapinches?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow. Sandra chuckled to it, probably because she was one before.

“They’re nasty little critters, filling the desert with many holes [oh, the irony]. The moment you fall down one, they jump up from the bottom of the pit and latch their sharp but small teeth onto your leg. They then knock the side to have the sand pouring in, so if you don’t suffocate, you might lose your leg as the searing sand makes contact to your wound. If that doesn’t get a burn, it might get an infection. And if you’re lucky enough to get out, there may be another Trapinch lurking around close by, waiting for you to just step in. And then that one might instead aim for –“

“Alright, I got it.” I interrupted, my paws going up to stop her. She smiled wryly; both of us knew it might not be best to continue with the description. After all, I’m sure she enjoyed those… lovely days.

Rayn shook his head, amused.

“We shoul’ not try to travel in the daytime. Too dangerous, and it’s not imperative to rush at this time.” I sighed and nodded my agreement to him. Sandra removed the smirk off her face; now was not a good time for reflection.

“Reagald will need to stay with us as well. Dasan only goes after victims that stray alone.” I silently groaned to myself and set my paw at my forehead, looking down. Just great; I’m to stick with the group or face possible death at the hands of a guy that views assassination as a game.

Why does this happen to me? Just why?

“Excuse us.”

We turned to see a group of soldiers, approaching us, chain-mail covering the front of their body, glistening in the harsh sunlight. Scimitars lay dormant in their scabbards to the right of each of the troop. The middle soldier walked forward and held out a scroll, rolling it open to face himself as he reads the following (simple and short) declaration:

”Under the declarations of the nobles of Tokar, all nobles of Libren must be surrendered to Tokar powers. Failure to do so will result in the punishment of dea-“

“Signs of Flygon: Shifting Tombs!”

Sand rose up, like a Flygon springing out in a trap, engulfing the soldier reading the scroll and swallowing him back down, resettling to its slightly level ground; the area looked the same, on that the soldier was no longer standing there. The rest of the troops took a few steps back as I was in front of my group, facing them my paw stretched out, holding the used spelltag, wasting away into ashes. I grinned at their fear.

“I didn’t quite get that. May someone repeat it?”

Hesitantly, one grabbed the handle of the scimitar, and Rayn reacted, snapping forward and instantly bringing up a horizontal kick, knocking the soldier straight – to the horror and terror of the innocent people watching – into a food stall, crashing into crates, cracking them and sending all sorts of fruits flying (to the large annoyance of the stall owner).

And now the rest of them reacted. Sandra and Quar went to the front to aid Rayn, but the Blaziken hardly required any; nine remaining soldiers, all horribly unprepared for the harsh beatdown Rayn was giving them. Adding in Sandra's spear and Quar's broad sword would-

Hey, wasn't he just injured? The Sandslash received a deep slash just two days ago, and now he's swinging his sword just as lively as I first saw him fight. Is the Tkan leaf that we bought really that quick in aiding the recovery?

Definitely worth the fifteen thousand to me then.

The soldiers eventually made a run for it, but all fell to spear and sword (and whatever Rayn hit them with), a mass of freshly dead bodies rotting in the sun. The air felt cool around me, causing me to realize that I was being shadowed; I looked around for the source until I looked up to find Dasan standing on a roof, grinning. He then pointed over to his left. I turned to see several more soldiers coming after us. Dasan was sending Tokar troops after us, and I expect himed to have plenty more. Many more.

I received a sudden urge to get up on that roof and kill the bastard, but time’s too short.

“You guys run!” I cried.

“What are you-“

“Now!” Sandra nods and went off first. Quar and Rayn hesitated but they followed her. A wave of gratitude for their trust slightly distracted me as I pulled out another spelltag.

”Signs of Flygon: Desert’s Barrier!”

A large wall of sand appeared, concealing the soldiers from my sight and me from theirs. I made a run for it after my group now that I bought myself some time-

”Signs of Flygon: Desert’s Barrier!”

I halted as another wall appeared in from of me. I turned around as Dasan jumped down the building, dropping the used spelltag.

So the blasted Ninetales can use spells too? What the heck?

I tried to get around the wall, but he landed in front of me, blocking my escape path, but then getting shot in the muzzle (AGAIN, I must say) by my last Interference spelltag. I ran past him, my dagger slashing him in the leg as I dashed by; killing him now would take too long, as the soldiers almost reached me. I heard a howl of pain followed by a thud, the exact sound you would expect to hear if someone fell to the ground.

Note to self: buy VAST AMOUNTS of Interference spelltags.

“Get on!” ordered Sandra, who flew down to me, obviously returning when she realized something went wrong. I leaped onto her back before her foot even tapped the ground. She pounded her wings down to gain altitude, but she suddenly switched from her power flight to a dive, forcing me to grab onto her neck tightly in surprise. A thin beam of light glanced over me, my eyes catching sight onto a throwing knife, blood dabbed on its bottom edge, flying into the air. I turned my head to see the edge of Sandra’s wing nicked from the knife, its thrower, Dasan, ready to throw another from the awkward position he was in on the ground. The leg I slashed was bleeding profusely, but the Ninetales seemed to be paying no attention to such a thing. He chucked the knife at me, but the effort was deflected in vain as I used the dagger to knock it completely off its trajectory.

Speaking of the dagger, I never paid for it, did I? Ah well.

Sandra recovered altitude and rose up.

“Is your wing-“

“It will be fine. Just a minor wound.” I nodded as she took to the skies, going out of the town.

After a few minutes, I spotted Quar and Rayn (but that was only after she began to descend down to them), the two traversing across the desert. I noticed the cloth around Quar was gone, skin now showing where the wound was originally, meaning that the… Tkan leaf (what a weird name) had done its job.

Sandra landed and I jumped off. Rayn looked at me.

“What took so long?” Sandra shook her head.

“Dasan. Who else?” Rayn grumbled and resumed walking, turning away back to the front of the desert.

We’re going to have to walk in the desert in sunlight… This is just great.

Think happy thoughts Reagald, before you lose your sanity. Think happy thoughts. Very happy thoughts. Think about slowly slitting Dasan’s throat. Very. Slowly.

Yes. That will do. That will do very nicely.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Five up!)

Well, not exactly the happy thing I thought he would think of, but it will do, I guess XD
and once again, I'm not sure it is errorless, but once again, an incredible chapter!
I'll edit this post with some stuff so you can go beat DNA as soon as possible.

EDIT:
Speaking of the dagger, I never paid for it, didn’t did I? Ah well.

”Signs of Flygon: Desert’s bBarrier!”
(According to the titles of the other spells, both words should be capitalized =P I'm also pretty sure the first quotation mark is also backwards))

(to the large annoyance of a the stall owner).

There are the ones I saw...

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Five up!)

squirtli said:
Well, not exactly the happy thing I thought he would think of, but it will do, I guess XD
and once again, I'm not sure it is errorless, but once again, an incredible chapter!
I'll edit this post with some stuff so you can go beat DNA as soon as possible.
I could say one of two things to this:
1) Thanks a lot; now I'm sure to get beaten. Zyflair's probably going to go through on that promise.
2) Good LUCK.

But I think I'll say neither and wait for what the future holds. Either way, I shall have to thank/scold you later.
edit: darn you

Umm... I guess you're welcome =P
And I'm also pretty sure Zyflair will hold the promise of beating you, I'm sure Zyflair would enjoy beating me also, but that's getting off topic...

And you were very creative on stopping the Hippowdon, using the light.

He didn't find one, DNA. He found THREE. lolololololololol

EDIT: Thanks. I have played several scenarios. Best one I found was the light.

Anyway, it's fixed.

That. Chapter. Was. AMAZING!!!!!! I loved the part how you drove the Hippowdon away and the whole Dasan knife seller thing. I cant wait for Ch. 6!

Oh don't worry, it keeps going on and on. :)

Once, of course, I get all the ideas on paper. But once exams are done, I should be able to work on it a bit faster. :)

Mmmhmm, I am enjoying my read thus far. Unfortunately I have to go for now, but I'll definitely be continuing to read with this. Reggy's so delishushly spoiled and arrogant, and I think you really managed to write the first person well. I'll post more when I read 3 and up.

I'm glad you like it. In *my* personal opinion, my beginning is slightly weak in comparison to my later chapters, but I hope you enjoy the rest. =3

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Six up!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Six

Never did I even consider how cruel the world could be.

The sand flew into the air as I fell down onto it, the heat of the grains burned the skin not protected by my cloak, but I cared naught. I faintly heard Sandra growled as her claws seized my neck, pulling my lifeless body up. My eyes barely picked out her face from its blurry sight. Although I couldn’t decipher her facial expression, her tone told me exactly how she was feeling:

“Get a hold of yourself!”

Well, Sandra, let’s put it this way: you’re not the one getting heat stroke while facing dehydration.

I attempted to reply but the answer weakly came out as incoherent muttering. Rayn sighed… at least, I believe it was Rayn sighing. My consciousness started slipping, regardless of how hard I fought to pull it back.

“She isn’t accust… perhaps it’s best if we… to let Reagald avoid… heat.”

“We’re being chas… making shelter… some water.”

“She already drank a canteen!” I figured that was Quar; I had consumed his canteen over the span of three hours to keep hydrated.

“I’ll give her mine then. She only needs to last for…”

For how long? How long is the sun up? I couldn’t pick it up; my mind constantly shouted at me to let go, that I should rest to cool my body, and I hardly denied such a request, and resumed feeling the intense energy of the sun sear my cloak; if I didn’t know better, I would have expect to be on fire.

“Drink!” Sandra barked, holding the mouth of the canteen right in front of my face. I eventually comprehended the order and started to gulp the water down, then holding the canteen with my own paws, and gulping half of the canteen’s contents before stopping. I gasped out an “Ah!” and capped the canteen, at first handing the canteen over her shoulder. She took it and I jumped off her back (for how long I was there or how I even got there, I do not know), wincing as my paws stepped into the burning sand.

This would not do. I considered the remaining spelltags I had, but none seemed to aid me at this time. And AGH, this stupid cloak is driving me mad! I took it off and handed it to Sandra; I sighed with content as the trapped heat in the cloak left me, the wind freeing up the fur stuck cramped from the oppressive cloth. Suddenly, I saw the cloak shoved back into my paws.

“Here, have it back.” Well, I suppose it’s for the best anyway, in case I need to use another spell. I blinked, readjusting my vision.

If you are ever traveling across the desert at daylight, there are a few things to remember: always look forward, for if you look up, then the sunlight will harshly blind you, and if you look down, the moment you look back straight, the world will be a bit too bright for you to see for a moment; moderate your contact with the sand to avoid as much of its heat, but do not go on the tip of your foot, as you shall sink in and face more heat; most importantly, stay aware, but not alert, as overusing the mind in the heat tires it quickly.

I made sure not to walk as actively as I had at first; in three hours, I burned out in body and mind, and consumed the water from Quar’s canteen too quickly; such a short experience taught me well; my body slacked, already forgetting the past lessons of walking upright at the palace, conserving as much energy as it possibly could, almost conscious of how important saving water became.

But still, this place is dreadful, and that’s not even counting the dangers (and I don’t want to find out either, but as you know, I expect that’s not going to be the case); at night, the landscape did not threaten, and the moon provided safe guidance, but the sun is harsh, a tyrant over all below it, indiscriminately punishing all within its reach, forcing all life in its scorching grasp to shrivel up painfully.

At some point during the walking, all inconveniences ceased to annoy me; I learned to accept my fate; my body whined in pain, but even that no longer drove me to react; live with it I would reply, demanding that my paws continue moving forward without pause. Regardless, I stayed awake and aware, just ready to face whatever is out here.

Only problem with that is that nothing showed up. The supposed dangers of the desert just did not appear. Needless to say, the back of my mind held suspicion, each passing second, each passing minute, each passing hour, all building suspense for something to happen.

The sun already fell from its peak, slowly dipping to the horizon, the unrelenting waves of heat finally receding. A particularly uneventful day, a day I found myself to be surprisingly grateful for.

That being said, I like to point out that the denotations of “grateful” and “content” differ drastically; my body did not receive its needed sleep for about thirty-six hours, heavily impairing my ability to think, eventually forcing me to buckle and fall onto the ground, as if an unknown person shoved me from behind.

“No more…” I muttered, “No more…” The rest was an unconscious abyss.

“Don’t worry! I’m fine! Keep going, Reagald! ‘If thou hesitateth on the path, then thou wilt no longer be able to walk that path!’ You told me that yourself! I know you want to do this, so get back there and do it!”

Roy.

Startled, I attempted to get up, only to realize that I was on Sandra’s shoulder; the sudden push upward, caused me to slip off her back, crashing onto the ground for the third time today.

“The little princess wakes up.” Sandra disdainfully noted, not even turning around to look, still walking on. I grumbled slightly to myself, hastily recovering and dashing up to them, slowing down to a walking pace when I caught up. They said nothing, nor did I ask if anything happened; if a peculiar event occurred, they would not bother to inform me without purpose. Besides, just by looking at the position of the moon, now reigning over the land, I could tell that only a mere two hours passed, perhaps the absence of the sun signaling my body that the time to walk was then.

I was wearing my cloak, possibly because Sandra put it on me after I collapsed. I felt slightly more active and refreshed, though not perfectly back up to par. The nightly sky, dotted with scattered stars, loomed over us, neutral in personality, but is that how it really is, a black canvas of mere white here and there? What are the stars?

I should have studied some astronomy.

“What the...?” Rayn muttered. I shifted my sight down to the area in front of me, and then squinted my eyes, confused about what I saw; was that a castle?

“Mirage?”

“Can’t be; there’s no sun or heat to cause the distortion.”

We sped up our walking, getting closer to this majestic structure (standing in the middle of a desert). I marveled at the flawless architecture; although it lacked striking details, the building itself was still elaborate; balconies and towers marked the complexity of the castle, implying that skilled masons were involved for the creation of it. When we approached it, the building proved to be roughly five stories high, the towers even higher, its width matching that of the Libren palace: a feat back in my day to be for – and only for – the brilliant architects of the time.

Simply put, this was an extraordinary castle.

Sandra looked at Rayn and Quar, suspicion gleaming from her eyes.

“We should move on,” she concluded, but Rayn shook his head.

“This place… it’s interesting. No harm in seeing what the place is.” Sandra glared in disdain, but to no avail. Quar sided with Rayn and thus the Flygon ceased to even consider a protest, as if she was asked to disprove Raylin’s False Theorem of Patterns Spiritual Sorcery (I will simply say that you do NOT want to even know what that’s about; just reading the first page of the theorem made my head hurt).

Rayn walked up to the double doors which towered over him, as they were almost twice his height (and let’s not include me in the comparison). He held his hand (talons?) into a fist and lightly knocked on the door. A Milotic (needless to say: to our surprise) opened it only to reveal her peering head. Before any of us responded, she asked:

“Are you here for the feast?”

“Feast?” Rayn echoed. Sandra, Quar, and I walked up closer to hear the whole conversation clearly.

“The midnight feast. We feed all passing travelers at night. They are also invited to rest for the night.” the Milotic explained. Sandra couldn’t have been more anxious to get away from this place. She placed her hand on Rayn’s shoulder.

“We leave. Now. This is too suspicious.” I, for one, agree with that. Rayn considered for a moment and then looked back at the Milotic.

“We don’t need to pay?”

“We just want your company.” If that didn’t sound ominous, I don’t know what does. Sandra hissed.

“Rayn!”

“She’s offering hospitality. How many are in this place?”

“Many workers of the castle, but there are a few other travelers here.”

“We’ll stay, thank you.” The nape of Sandra’s neck pulsed, the Flygon so obviously desperately keeping herself from lashing out at anyone, anything. The Milotic opened the door widely to let us through. Sandra (and her paranoia) kept her hand behind her back, holding the spear, ready to face any trap waiting for them. Quar had his claws over the handle of his sword as well, while I slightly pulled a common counter-spelltag of the pocket, ready to be taken out of the cloak for quick use, the dagger sheathed in my cloak.

We walked into the main hall, a barren room; had there not been the chandeliers and the oak stairs, carpeted with scarlet velvet, it would have been considered empty. At the center of the room lied an opening in the wall.

“This way.” The Milotic went past us down the hall, us following, some of us more reluctant then others. I inspected the walls as I walked by; no ornaments or portraits hung on them, but the walls seemed to be lively, the yellow bricks reflecting the light such that I could even see my own reflection in it… are they made of gold? The idea seemed preposterous, but my mind thought of no other explanation for the wall’s reflective characteristics. Looking at my companion’s incredulous expressions, I noted I wasn’t the only person coming to the same conclusion.

“This can’t be…” Quar unconsciously uttered, turning his head from left to right to left and back as he tried to deny to himself what the wall was composed of. I glimpsed the words Sandra’s eyes spoke: ‘There is a catch. There is always a catch.’

One minute of walking down the hallway led us to the dining hall; sparkling light danced around as the walls shone at us as we walked in, appearing to be greeting us. The place bustled with conversations of roughly thirty people, all seated at a circular table, various dishes seated on beautiful porcelain rested on white silk cloth, waiting to be devoured by the diners, waiters moving about, replacing empty plates with almost-overloaded ones.

A few travelers. Right.

But before my sarcasm got the better of me, a particular diner caught my attention very quickly, and for good reason:

Dasan sat at the opposite end of the room from us, enjoying a sautéed Finneon.

Suddenly, I no longer thought of anything but how to handle the assassin, but the Ninetales paid no attention, gobbling the delicacy in his own paws without a care. When he did pay attention, he donned a cheerful grin, waving at us and motioning us to sit besides him.

As if.

I sat down at the “East” side of the table (Dasan being at the “North”), while my companions took their seats at the “Southeast.” Meals sparkled in front of me, inviting my paws to just reach out and grab it out of irresistible greed, enticing me with its appetizing smell. I barely noticed the empty plate set in front of me by the Milotic.

“Enjoy.”

That one word destroyed every shred of self-control I had left. The scent just drove me in, as I cut up a slice of Tauros steak (if you have never tried it, you should), setting it on my plate, adding a bit of sauce from the glass bottle to my left. I hastily took the knife and fork set by my side and sliced off the corner, and set it into my mouth, closing in on it and tasting the meat. My eyes widened at the sudden change in sensation.

Mm! I hurriedly swallowed the first bite and the open my mouth for more, saliva dripping onto my plate as I cut out the second piece of the steak; just delightful! All of it! The juicy texture, the sumptuous flavor, the rich aroma, all demolished the foundation of my grip on reality; I forgot about everything but the food and nothing but the food. Bite followed bite; although my stomach grew into a satisfied beggar, the craving ceased to be quelled, an uncontrolled fire burning conscious thought, forcing me to be a servant to such pleasures, tirelessly fulfilling the demands of my desires, even dropping the silverware to eat the food with my own greasy paws for convenience.

Yet I was not completely oblivious to that which was around me; between mouthfuls of food, I interjected commentary and responses to nearby discussions, but with abandon, a lack of consideration, as if it was impossible to keep my thoughts to myself and I had to blurt it out; my co-conversers spoke just as freely, their emotions and perspectives openly revealed. Blissful; no one cared of what others thought of him or her, thus behaving in that consequent manner; I could vaguely recall Sandra laughing at an (awfully, perhaps) crude joke, Dasan boasting to us a few of his accomplishments, and a few other… intriguing… moments.

Truly a night of freedom; free of worry, free of censorship, free of all restrictions, free from thought. I was guided by a servant (I can’t recall what Pokémon it was) of the castle to what I think was my sleeping quarters. He or she (as I can’t recall even the details of the servant) opened the door, letting me walk in. Of the ruins of my memory, I still scavenged the blurry moment of the servant leading me to the bed, a four foot Queen-Size. I was helped up there and relaxed my back against the silk mattress cover, sighing in idyllic content, pulling up the covers, vaguely believing that nothing could go wrong.

And I’m sure, dear reader, you already know it did.

I started in pure anxiety, sweat drops heavily cascading through my fur, swiftly sitting up and pulling my arms out of the covers, staring at my right arm; a bright glowing white seal burned at my wrist, that perfect circle with an all-too-familiar symbol in the middle. I knew what it was, and why I set it on my paw, but, until now, I never even considered it to be of use.

The turn of the doorknob interrupted my thought process. I jumped off of the bed and watched the door hinges creak as I heard the faint plop of one of my numerous sweat drops collided with the wooden floor. The door fully swung open…

Sandra standing at there, looking at me. I grinned nervously.

“Sandra. You look like you had trouble sleeping. Anything wrong?” She did not reply and slowly took a few steps towards me.

“Well?” I asked. A second of no response passed before she lunged at me, a move I saw coming. I ducked down and grabbed her neck with my right paw. Immediately, I heard sizzling, both at her neck and the rune on my wrist, now shining at candlelight intensity. Sandra cried in pain and used her tail to knock me loose, freeing herself from my grasp and backing away, growling. I stared her down, and sure enough I caught those subdued eyes.

My Flygon friend was possessed by a spirit or ghost and now trying to kill me. Logical, really; if they couldn’t possess me thanks to the sorcerer’s seal (known by others as the exorcist’s seal, but there’s technically a slight difference in appearance and abilities), they might as well kill me; my seal may prevent spiritual invasions, but it sure doesn’t protect me from physical harm.

Heck, I have a good feeling everyone in this forsaken place was possessed in the first place. So obvious, the whole system was: draw in the travelers, drown them in pleasurable illusions, keep at it until they no longer were capable of thinking (much at the least), and then possess them with absolutely no resistance. Decent system, but it had a hitch.

I took a deep breath in concentration and the seal glowed even brighter. An illuminating white chain appeared in my left paw, a cuff at the end. The possessed Flygon backed up even more in fear, causing me to grin.

If you were a band of spirits, how do you handle a sorcerer capable of using the third type of sorcery: Gallan Solari, the Hunting Spirit, the sorcery that allows a sorcerer to capture wild spirits? Simply put, you can’t.

Oh, hold a moment; I forgot a small detail: Hunting Spirit sorcery can be deflected with physical weapons; sure enough Sandra pulled out that spear, holding it in battle stance, apparently able to use it as well as when she wasn’t possessed.

This might be a small difficulty.

She charged at me, jabbing at me with the spear, but I sidestepped at the last moment, twirling the chains in a few circles before hurling them at her neck, the cuff flying open but unfortunately deflected by Sandra’s spear as the Flygon backed off a bit, defending against another toss of the chain, expertly tossed with unquestionable accuracy, over and over again, meeting the spear at every lob; every step Sandra took back, I took one forward, slowly driving her out of the room to avoid getting caught.

Just as I flung the chain and cuff, the door opened, moving Sandra out of the way. My eyes widened in terror.

Rayn. Two against one. Even if he had no weapons, capturing both at once would be too difficult. Odds stacked up like this… with so many people in this place, I could only last so long. Think, Reagald! You got this far and you’re going to let spirits beat you?!

Before anyone in the room made a move, Dasan tackled Rayn from behind, slamming the Blaziken to the ground, and using his weight to keep him down, his paws wrapped around Rayn’s neck, but not to choke him. I heard that distinct sizzling as the seal on Dasan’s left wrist smother the live out of the spirit possessing Rayn. Sandra went for Dasan with her spear to free her companion, but that distraction had cost her gravely; one more toss and the cuff struck her neck, closing at my signal. She writhed but succumbed to the chain as I jerked it harshly back, losing her footing and falling to the ground. Her body glowed and then the spirit rose out of her body, the cuff phasing out of the neck to continue holding the spirit place; it tried to dash away, but always met the force of my tugging.

“Here!”

Something skidded across the floor, causing me to look down as that something reached my foot. Still holding the chain with my left paw, I picked up a wooden box tossed by Dasan with my right, sliding cover already taken off to reveal a stack of empty spelltags.

This guy… full of surprises, isn’t he?

I took out one and yanked onto the chain as hard as I could, pulling the spirit and the cuff back. When it was in absolute reach, I let go of the chain, causing it to disappear and slapped the spirit down onto the floor with the spelltag, quickly muttering a quick incantation to focus and seal it into the tag. A quick flash emitted from the spelltag but then disappeared. I turned over to see a Signs of Haunter tag: useless as of now, as the tag has not been refined for a specific spell. Dasan walked over to me, picking up the wooden box, an unrefined spelltag in his paw as well.

“They’re probably waiting out after realizing we’re more dangerous than they expected.”

As if I couldn’t figure that myself. I looked at the floor; Sandra and Rayn lay unconscious, resting; they’re going to wake up with quite the headache. I stood up.

“Well then,” I started, “you have a plan?” He grinned that typical Ninetales grin, the one where you just have the urge to slap them for their arrogance.

“You’re capable of spirit chains, and I’m not [Oh?]. I’ll handle them up close. You – “

He set the spelltag into his cloak and pulled out a paint brush, but not just any simple paint brush. I stood there agape for a good two seconds before I could even utter a question.

“Is that – “

“I trust you can use this, no? Sure beats chaining them one by one.” He replied. A seal brush for me to amplify my powers… and it’s being offered to me for use.

Arceus, I never got to use one of these things (largely due to the cheap education I’d received) and my nemesis is handing it to me. Any response I came up would make me sound like a fool, so I simply took the brush in silence, unsure if I was grateful or just confused. He ignored my dumbfounded expression, and headed for the door.

“Get ready.”

“Yes, sir!” I eagerly replied, following suit. Awkward situation I faced, but I’m not complaining; spirit hunting with a competent companion was something that could be passed up only by a fool; usually spirit hunters travel in groups due to the sheer danger of unknown and possibly powerful spirits; a single mistake more often than not resulted in disaster and even – if the spirit in question was powerful enough – a breakage of the sorcerer’s seal and repossession. But Dasan easily seemed more than capable. That left only one question:

After all of this is over, what’s next? The only person with the answer is Dasan… that really gets on my nerves; we’re working together against a common enemy for once and he still remains a step ahead, holding all the moves.

Worry about the future later and the present now. We’ve got spirits to hunt.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Six up!)

Yeah really, Milotic could not have been more suspicious even if it had tried. :p

Nice chapter, I wasn't expecting another update so soon either. The story is really starting to pick up more momentum now, and you've certainly added a new dimension to the plot with Reagald forcing to be allied with Dasan.

I await chapter 7 with great impatience!

Aye, finally read it all. :p Took a while, but I managed. You want a grammar nitpicking review too? Or should I fear for DNA's life if I do? XD

Regardless, I have to say that this has a rather nice plot to it. It's a rare thing (in all the fics I've read, at the least) to have an olden-style story, just Pokemon, and politics, sorcery and spoiled pompous Eevees. I'm pretty sure the last of that list is a given, though. It just has such a wonderful, different feel to it.

Sometimes, though, Reggi's description becomes a bit...vague. It's hard to figure out what's going on in a scene. (The best example I can think of is in Chapter 2, with the pipes. I'm not sure how exactly that worked out, even still, though the point is she got safely down). Also at times there seems to be tense confusion- past and present intermingle from time to time. Assuming Reggi's writing this, it should all be in past (esp. because you showed when she began writing.) and ARGH I keep wanting to type 'he' instead of 'she' for Reagald. It's such a weird name that instantly makes me think he instead of she, but that's my personal opinion.

What else...I've noticed at times you/DNA forget periods at the end of your sentences. Those are the hardest grammar mistakes, IMHO, to catch. Also of note was the run-on sentences, and sentences that were not yet could definitely be split up to separate the thoughts better. At times, too, it got confusing which Sandslash was which, or which Pokemon was which. Mainly the former, but you get the picture. If there's any way you can separate it without using Quar's name too much. But as to how to do that...you got me on that one. (Very helpful, LOL.)

However, these are all minor things I noticed. As I said before, the first person aspect of this story works out surprisingly well. I began writing in first person, and whereas it's easy to start in, it's difficult to perfect. You have good talent in that sense. :3 The description and metaphors/similies (simili? I have NO idea.), where it isn't confusing (which is rare!) also is far suberb to a majority of the fics I have given a small glance to, which I applaud graciously. Adjectives and adverbs are our frieeeeeends!

Uhm, yeah. To sum up. Beautiful descriptions, but be sure not to get too wordy or repeat stuff too much with it. Awesome 1st tense, but be sure to keep present's ugly head from sneaking in time to time. And, as a personal preference, try having Reggi use 'by the legendaries' for swearing. It's almost as good as Arceus. Almost, given most of the legendaries 'spawned' from Arcy, am I right? And I do hope thar be more Eevee attackage. >3 I'm voting for some way for 'our little princess' to learn Shadow Ball! (I'd say for her to learn Facade but she seemingly doesn't perform it too well. ;D)Regardless, I'mma keep reading. Because this story definitely has potential. Mmmm, stuff with Dasan cannot end well. The little sneak...

Again lemme know if you want me to really go through each chapter and pick out all the bugs of it. ;D

*busies off to read PMJ's fic*

@ Bacon
Yeah, I didn't expect to have written all of that so quickly, but I got carried away with the plot... so... yeah. x3
Thanks for the support!

@CH
Woah. Big post (I'm not complaining).
Crystal Hikara said:
Regardless, I have to say that this has a rather nice plot to it. It's a rare thing (in all the fics I've read, at the least) to have an olden-style story, just Pokemon, and politics, sorcery and spoiled pompous Eevees. I'm pretty sure the last of that list is a given, though. It just has such a wonderful, different feel to it.
"Eevees"? There's only one. xD
Yeah, I run along with a very different style; expect me to use that style quite a bit. |3

Crystal Hikara said:
Sometimes, though, Reggi's description becomes a bit...vague. It's hard to figure out what's going on in a scene. (The best example I can think of is in Chapter 2, with the pipes. I'm not sure how exactly that worked out, even still, though the point is she got safely down). Also at times there seems to be tense confusion- past and present intermingle from time to time. Assuming Reggi's writing this, it should all be in past (esp. because you showed when she began writing.) and ARGH I keep wanting to type 'he' instead of 'she' for Reagald. It's such a weird name that instantly makes me think he instead of she, but that's my personal opinion.
I'm not the expert of description, and I thus apologize; furthermore, Reagald tends to ignore the senses and goes by her emotions, which bugs me (by the time I'm done with this, I'm probably going to end up with DID). If you have seen DNA's editing, you'd know how I HATE tenses; I just... UGH, I can't ever get them straight! And as for the "unique" name... live with it. :)

What else...I've noticed at times you/DNA forget periods at the end of your sentences. Those are the hardest grammar mistakes, IMHO, to catch. Also of note was the run-on sentences, and sentences that were not yet could definitely be split up to separate the thoughts better. At times, too, it got confusing which Sandslash was which, or which Pokemon was which. Mainly the former, but you get the picture. If there's any way you can separate it without using Quar's name too much. But as to how to do that...you got me on that one. (Very helpful, LOL.)
I missed periods? Run-on sentences? I might have written excessively long sentences (some, I admit, are a bit too long), but I'm not sure I really made a run-on sentence. And for references, I run along a thin line; I just don't have anything else to call Quar by. >_>

However, these are all minor things I noticed. As I said before, the first person aspect of this story works out surprisingly well. I began writing in first person, and whereas [You mean 'while'] it's easy to start in, it's difficult to perfect. You have good talent in that sense. :3 The description and metaphors/similies (simili? I have NO idea.), where it isn't confusing (which is rare!) also is far suberb to a majority of the fics I have given a small glance to, which I applaud graciously. Adjectives and adverbs are our frieeeeeends!
Personally, I believe the key for a good first-person is a good narrator: one with a powerful voice that stands out. But thanks. :3
Give the credit to Reagald; she just naturally thought them up for me. ;D

And, as a personal preference, try having Reggi use 'by the legendaries' for swearing. It's almost as good as Arceus. Almost, given most of the legendaries 'spawned' from Arcy, am I right? And I do hope thar be more Eevee attackage. >3 I'm voting for some way for 'our little princess' to learn Shadow Ball! (I'd say for her to learn Facade but she seemingly doesn't perform it too well. ;D)Regardless, I'mma keep reading. Because this story definitely has potential. Mmmm, stuff with Dasan cannot end well. The little sneak...
Hey, thanks!
/me writes that down.
Trust me, there will be PLENTLY more Eevee attackage, though I don't think I could get Reagald to try a Facade. xD
As for Shadow Ball... I'll consider it.
Does stuff with a Ninetales ever end well?

Again lemme know if you want me to really go through each chapter and pick out all the bugs of it. ;D
Please do. =3

Thanks again! I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Please do so again sometime! ;D

Does stuff with a Ninetales ever end well?
Yes, unless you don't consider PMD1 to really count.

@CH:
I didn't really see any run-on sentence, except for one that I think you might have considered one, when a bunch of clauses all beginning with "right when _____" all appear chained to each other. I did notice it, but it's to convey the meaning that all of those things are happening at the exact same moment. If there was a missing period or run-on sentence I probably would have caught it. (If it was a missing period, I definitely would have caught it.)
But I appreciate your concern, CH. And don't worry about me...I can take it just fine.

If you have seen DNA's editing, you'd know how I HATE tenses; I just... UGH, I can't ever get them straight!
Zyflair's right. I catch every tense error there is. =P
However, this probably means I'm due for another whipping.

DNA said:
Yes, unless you don't consider PMD1 to really count.

Ninetales was the indirect and direct reason for half of that game's conflict. She took vengeance on the human (Gengar) with the Gardevoir and cursed him, which led to Gengar's mischief and eventual accusation that you are the cause of the world's impending destruction, which led to you being hunted fugitives, etc., etc.

So no, Ninetales is the fire for the fuse. Though that might be a good thing, if your story is going that way. Oh, and there's the Absol legend too, impending destruction upon sighting it and all.

Fantastic story so far, though I've only read the prolouge. I know it's fantasic because I've skimmed some parts of certain chapters, and I must say, I love your writing style. It's not awkward and clunky feeling, which is difficult to avoid in first-person writing (for me, anyway), and it feels incredibly smooth and natural.

You're obviously very talented for this type of thing (lol I'm a tad jealous).

Back