Writing The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Nine up!)

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Six up!)

@ DNA - lolowned

Thank you. I've never actually thought I did well with the first-person until I widely received so much great criticism with this fanfic. Heck, I might as well JUST write in first-person for all future fanfics until something new happens. (lol live with what you have)

Thanks. x3

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Six up!)

Zyflair said:
@CH
Woah. Big post (I'm not complaining).

Big wallz is hao I roooooll. :D

"Eevees"? There's only one. xD
Yeah, I run along with a very different style; expect me to use that style quite a bit. |3

Um. Eevees. The Eevees is key. I was going for plural to infer that there are no other fics out there that have any Eevees like Reggi. I type dumbly sometimes :p And I'm not complainin' at allll! :3

'm not the expert of description, and I thus apologize; furthermore, Reagald tends to ignore the senses and goes by her emotions, which bugs me (by the time I'm done with this, I'm probably going to end up with DID). If you have seen DNA's editing, you'd know how I HATE tenses; I just... UGH, I can't ever get them straight! And as for the "unique" name... live with it.

I noticed that it started getting better when you said DNA agreed to be your editor and stuff. I don't think I've seen it since then. And okayyyyy I think I'll get used to it. Just a matter of time I guess. |3

I missed periods? Run-on sentences? I might have written excessively long sentences (some, I admit, are a bit too long), but I'm not sure I really made a run-on sentence. And for references, I run along a thin line; I just don't have anything else to call Quar by. >_>

No, I'm pretty definitely sure saw one run-on at the least (maybe it was a borderline one. Maybe I'm crazy. :p) And yeah I know it's hard to come up with better things to name stuff. I suffer that problem all the time |3

Personally, I believe the key for a good first-person is a good narrator: one with a powerful voice that stands out. But thanks. :3
Give the credit to Reagald; she just naturally thought them up for me. ;D

Probably meant while. That's just me trying to be a fancy pants again. |3 And I say, yes. The narr. has to be a strong one.
(not exact quote probably) 'Note to self: buy TONS of interference scrolls.' Stuff like that is ace.

Hey, thanks!
* Zyflair writes that down.
Trust me, there will be PLENTLY more Eevee attackage, though I don't think I could get Reagald to try a Facade. xD
As for Shadow Ball... I'll consider it.
Does stuff with a Ninetales ever end well?

Haha! Soon my evil plot to have everyone swearing with by the legendaries will be comp-er, I said nothing! :D
Boo, no Facade. Ah well. I won't cry. ;D
Mmm, I like considerment. :3
Lol, not getting into this debate too much...other than to say 'No, it IS NOT. Ever.'

Please do. =3

Thanks again! I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Please do so again sometime! ;D

Time to CP everything down! >D I'll have it posted up laters, chapter by chapter. because I have still limited time on the computer with internet. And trust me, you'll be sick of my walls so fast it'll make you and Reggi's head spin.

...Does Reggi mind being called Reggi, by the way? Does she like...not approve of sounding like the three kinda sorta lamest legendaries around?

Crystal Hikara said:
...Does Reggi mind being called Reggi, by the way? Does she like...not approve of sounding like the three kinda sorta lamest legendaries around?
I dunno, she's not around. >=3

/me waits for the editing while working on Chapter 7.

Um. Eevees. The Eevees is key. I was going for plural to infer that there are no other fics out there that have any Eevees like Reggi.
Technically, the plural of Eevee is 'Eevee', as is the case with all Pokemon names. Yes, I know it sounds weird, but it is true. Look at Rhyperior's Pokedex entry for an example (I think Graveler's is another example, and there are tons of others). (Wait, why the heck didn't I catch that in chapter 5? I shall punish myself straightaway.)
And I thought I already finished editing all the portions you sent me, Zyflair.

We walked into the main hall, a barren room; had there not been the chandeliers and the oak stairs, carpeted with scarlet velvet, I it would have been considered empty. At the center of the room lied an opening in the wall.

DNA is not going to be happy with me =P

I have no idea how I missed that. All I know is that I did.
DANGIT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Seven
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Only at the moment I stepped out of the room did I realize this place for what it really was: a mansion only for the spirits, created by the spirits, and consisting of the spirits; once considering the living annoying intruders, they eventually learned how to possess them, learning the tricks, no doubt eventually becoming successful at preying upon us. Yet all fellow travelers shared a notable characteristic: none of them knew sorcery, thus they consequently found themselves unaware of the true danger lurking upon them; the moment you or any sane mortal catches sight of the castle, doom was certain; this whole place radiated an illusion of pleasure, such that even looking at the castle would easily and successfully tempt even the paranoid: for instance, if Sandra traveled by herself and walked past this place, she would glance over her shoulder back at the castle, again and again, more and more often, until she would submit, returning back into the inescapable trap.

With the sorcerer’s seal fully activated, however, this place sent shivers of fear – rather than of pleasure – up my spine. Dasan and I slowly crept down the hall, looking around for any signs of virtually anything. I twirled the seal brush in my paw a few times out of boredom in the suspenseful atmosphere.

Swiftly, in a coordinated move, when we were directly in the middle of the hallway, when I thought over the seal to draw for the sixth time, when Dasan let out a yawn from the lack of action, when the bright flame of one of the hall torches flickered, when the cloud blocking the full moon moved, when the hallway brightened from the new light coming in, when a Houndoom howled at it, every door was swung open by the mob of the possessed.

This blasted brush better be working.

They ran to us, but Dasan dashed to them faster, halting without warning, his claws unsheathed. His strikes appeared to be from reflex, all as sudden as the time when he caught Rayn’s foot, deliberate with every blow.

Such a shame I couldn’t watch for long; transferring my spiritual energy into the brush, I watched as the seal on my wrist dim, whereas the brush hairs lighted up in a whitish fire. Wasting no time, I set the brush down onto the ground and walked quickly into a circle, drawing a larger one around me, the perfectly-painted geometric shape glowing a dim light when completed. I proceeded to draw symbol after symbol, twenty-four in all, four characters in each evenly-spaced line from the outside circle to the inside one (which I have not drawn yet), all with a rushed but flawless haste.

I noticed a shadow over me, and a glance over my shoulder told me it was Quar, holding the sword above his head to stop me. Dasan reappeared within my sight at an instant, shoving Quar out of the way and out of my view.

I suppose I could leave him to all of the fighting and finish my own business.

The moment I completed the inside circle, the seal shone, its energy fully in balance. I grinned and activated it, my paws glowing in the energy as I let go of the seal brush.

Eat chain, you wretched spirits.

Numerous links of chains appeared around the seal in two main directions, one for each possessed person in the room.

“Gallan Solari: Link Lash!”

All of them flew out, almost sounding like a jail cell being closed, the chain-activated one that lowers the bars from top. Those using weapons to deflect failed to keep the cuffs from getting their necks; the chains phased through every physical thing until they reached their targets. I signaled Dasan, who tossed me the box. I pulled off the wooden sliding cover and snapped my paw to order the chains to pull back. The room lit up from several illuminations of spirits being pulled out of the bodies, all dragged to the center, into the box I held above my head; I might as well look like I’m holding a box of lightning, only of indigo, rather than yellow. The complete suction of so many spirits exerted more pressure than I expected, forcing me to brace and endure, until every last of them were gone, sealed away in parchments.

The seal I drew, drained of energy, slowly faded away until I could no longer see it. Slightly exhausted, I lowered my raised paw, looking at the contents of the box, but only briefly, as Dasan snatched it out of my grasp.

“Hey!”

“We’re far from done. Take a look around.” I blinked in confusion, surveying the area, filled with unconscious Pokémon all scattered around. Nothing, besides the fainted, looked out of place.

“I don’t get it.”

“Someone’s missing.” It dawned on me what he meant.

The Milotic. The one that led us in. She wasn’t present, meaning she’s waiting for us to finish us off personally, most likely in the main hall, much more space for a spirit to roam around; spirits enjoy freedom of movement as they tend to be faster than mortals (it’s as if physics doesn’t apply to them as much. Then again, physics are for physical objects).

“I suppose she’s in the main hall, since –” I held up a paw irritably to stop him.

“Please don’t explain things unless I ask.” I requested. He chuckled, turning around to beginning walking down the hall, pulling out a few empty spelltags from the wooden box, chucking them at me to catch as I followed him.

Abruptly, a large growl echoed in the hallway; I quickly looked around to find nothing but Dasan staring at me in disbelief.

“Was that just your stomach?” The question, somehow sounding more like he was asking himself rather than me, was followed by another growl, this time accompanied with a hunger pang. I groaned and lowered my ears, looking down as my paw on it, feeling the vibrations of its rumbling; I never felt so hungry before; my stomach, cheated out of its meal (ah, I just almost go into a trance just reminiscing it all), complained at maximum volume. I heard Dasan chuckle.

“Still slightly spoiled, aren’t you? Catch.” I looked up and almost missed the bag, looking at it first before pulling the string to loosen the opening wide; dry cookies lay inside. I looked up at him; for what reason, I didn’t know. The Ninetales, smiling in amusement, turned back around to walk down the hall again. “Eat while you walk; I don’t have all night, but I am certainly not doing this without you.

“Yes s-”

“Just call me Dasan.” Not one for formalities, but it was to be expected; not many nobles go running around the world assassinating people as a hobby. I picked up the seal brush, tucking it in my cloak (So. Many. Pockets.), before catching up to Dasan, beginning to eat the cookies: hard to bite into, though decently made with a good balance of ingredients (is that a hint of cinnamon? Sugar and cinnamon cookies… huh). I loudly crunched into them, as if I just tossed away all proper etiquette on eating (and rightfully so; who here gives a darn on how you eat?).

We walked down the stairs and past the dining room (now magically spotless after the huge mess we made. Needless to say, enjoying food at full potential requires an unlearning of all table manners, as we all eat without reservation, ditching silverware and slobbering while eating our food. I’m glad to say I don’t remember the noises we made while eating.) to the main hall.

The place was the same: a large room with four chandeliers, stairs at the far left and right side that goes up to a second visible level, The Milotic standing, her head above the wooden rail, staring down at us, her body glowing with numinous energy, flames of hatred burning in her eyes. Dasan – with his unlimited reserve of nerve – waved casually at her.

You,” she cried, infuriated, “You destroyed everything!”

“Aww… we took away your friends, but you don't seem to mind taking ours. Let's learn a new word. Say it with me: 'egotistic.'” Dasan, I don't think she's in the mood for a haughty insult. As if just to prove my thoughts right, she bristled even more.

Have at you!” She opened her mouth and blasted out an Ice Beam at both an uncanny rate and magnitude, firing the erratic ray – at least three times the size a standard blast – almost within the blink of an eye. Dasan and I sprinted to the side walls in opposite directions, narrowly avoiding the monstrous discharge, which froze the entrance’s double doors and everything within fifteen feet of it solid, the massive block of ice formed glittering under the chandeliers' light.

What the legends, is that even legal?

I formed another hunting chain and flung it at the Milotic, who slapped it off course with her tail, immediately firing back another blast at me! Dasan responded with Flamethrower, hardly deflecting (as the Ice Beam was just too huge to counter) the attack straight into the corner nearest to me, sealing that entire section with a thick coat of ice. The assassin climbed the stairs almost as if he was running along level ground, leaping into the air to avoid the third blast and elegantly landing on the tail of the second story, running on it towards the Milotic.

Figuring that Dasan could hold his own (as I have yet to see a time when he couldn't), I reactivated the seal brush to duplicate the same spell as before. By the time I completed the outside boundary, the situation fell apart faster than I could even register:

“Aquillis Velum!” I looked up to see a large complex seal appear, the Milotic at the center and Dasan standing at the edge. The seal, a circumscribed hexagon with internal lines connecting every vertex to another, each within the hexagon section with a circumscribed rune, flashed twice and bursts out a torrent of spiraling water: a whirlpool at least thirty feet in diameter, knocking Dasan back at full force. His body flew straight over my head and slammed into the wall behind me, making an audible crack. I ran to him as his body went limp, collapsing into the floor like a doll, but I fell to the floor, as my legs suddenly stopped moving; I looked back to see my legs – and almost everything behind it – frozen from another blast of Ice Beam. The Milotic grins with pure malevolence.

“I could only have expected such inferiority. You can’t overcome me. I have destroyed all in my path, and you shall be no different.” I couldn’t pull my legs free, no matter how hard I tugged! The Milotic continued, “I’ll free you both and then possess you myself to free my companions. Good slaves you shall – ” And the rest was a small explosion at her neck, the remains of the Interference spelltag drifting down to the ground below it, but burning up well past before it even reached there.

I looked back to see Dasan slowly getting up, rubbing the back of his head with a paw, a few of his tails holding a few more spelltags for use.

“That… hurt.” He paid no attention to my stare of utter disbelief. What is this guy made out of?! I could see a large crack in the wall that the collision caused, and he can still stand, only slightly fazed?

But an even more shocking revelation came to me: that Milotic took damage from the Interference spelltag; spirits are unaffected but spelltags, even such spells deal physical damage, yet the Milotic spoke and acted too lively to be merely a possessed being, leaving one clear conclusion:

Dasan and I exchanged blows with a shade: a sorcerer voluntarily letting a spirit take control of his or her body, paying the price of freedom for one thing: power; the end result was a formidable monster, able to use various spells of uncanny power. The explanation also covers the illusions conjured for the traps. Many a place has been felled by shades; most of the time, they are only defeated by other shades, as their sheer strength overpowers many mortals.

Since when did I ever subscribe to this?

Dasan, apparently fully recovered, grabbed my paws, yanking me (much more easily than I expected) out of the frozen block. I faintly heard the firing of another Ice Beam, but Dasan pulled me close to him, cradling me in his arms, and sprung up into the air, dodging the blast with ease. Unable to move much without causing hindrance to my companion, I simply watched the following events:

Noting her enemies to be in midair (and not a flying type), the shade interpreted our position to be a vulnerable one, firing Hydro Pump instead, when Dasan was at the apex of his leap, but Dasan envisioned a much different scenario, spreading the tails wide below him, not just a few, but all of his tails holding a spelltag, glowing bright for activation. The activation of nine simultaneous did not shock as much as what he uttered out of his mouth:

Heart’s Mirror!

Heart’s Mirror?! I have heard of miscellaneous spells that were not sign spells, but I couldn’t even tell if what he said was one until it actually went into effect!

Regardless, it put quite the impressive display; each spelltag emitted a beam of light, each ray stopping about fifteen feet in front of us, at an imaginary vertical plane, the nine points of intersection aligned in the shape of a heart, solidifying into an unknown substance, hard, metallic, and of the color caramel. The large torrent of water crashed into this cordiform shield, severely shattering it, sounding as if someone pounded a mirror with a sledgehammer; however, instead of following through, the Hydro Pump rebounded with nearly twice the original speed, wiping out the unsuspecting Milotic, driving her into the back wall then out to my right.

Sure didn’t expect Dasan to be a fan of hearts.

He, without warning, lowered his arms, forcing me to stand on his paws.

“Get her.”

He pushed me up into the air, the Ninetales falling back down to the ground floor while I naturally shifted my weight forward into a somersault in the air, landing on the second floor to face the Milotic forty feet from me; her face couldn’t have been more indicative of her bottomless anger of us and our persistence.

Quickly forming another spirit chain, I feigned a toss, causing her to flinch; I hoped to have gotten her with a hurl following immediately afterwards, but to no avail as it turned quickly into the chain-tail deflect-Ice Beam-side dodge exchange that occurred before. In a quick reanalysis of the Milotic’s fighting style, a simple plan formulated in my mind.

Interesting how quickly one can think at such times of pressure.

Without hesitation I dashed at her, an ostensible mistake.

“Aquillis Velum!”

I spotted the seal below, but, unlike the one for Dasan, this situation favored me in three aspects: I already saw the attack beforehand, could much more easily change direction in an instant, and the attack left her open for me to strike once; that strike better count.

The sprouting aqua column failed to fulfill its purpose, as I jumped back in reflex, safely out of the range of the enemy’s spell. Pulling out my dagger, I quickly charged it with my spiritual energy, engulfing the blade in ghostly-white fire. The moment the twister of water subsided, I chucked the dagger straight at the Milotic’s heart. She spotted the attack too late and the bodkin drove in at the intended target; she screamed in agony – as my energy in the knife burned the possessing spirit – and futilely writhed and thrashed.

At last: the end.

One more toss of the spiritual fetter caught the Milotic’s neck, the cuff at the end closing and locking onto it. At a flash of light, the spirit flew out of the body to avoid the dagger’s destructive energy. The once-possessed sorcerer fell to the ground, dead, blood beginning to seep out of the wound, while the former possessor, a transparent luminescent Milotic striving to escape the chain clinging to her (its?) neck, attempted to fly for the door, pulling the chain back with remarkably great force; holding onto the chain as hard as my paws allowed me, I skidded across the floor into the wooden rails, the bar slamming me in the gut and nearly forcing me to exhale too early. The sudden halt of my movement jerked the spirit back, but she hurriedly pulled back; the stubborn wood began to creak, and then – at a moment of great dread, a memory I wish to never have happen again – splintered, giving way and forcing me to go past the boundary and into the air –

Until a Ninetales grabbed onto the chain, slowly pulling back with much strain, setting me back on solid ground. I looked up to see the lower half of Dasan’s face, his lips curled up in a snarl.

“Help me reel in that blasted spirit already!”

Never a time to catch my breath, is there? I clung onto the chain firmly with both paws again, and pulled back with Dasan. Combined together, we overpowered her and slowly reeled in the chain, the Milotic spirit desperately trying to pulling back, a caught fish unable to defeat the fisherman in the test of strength. After what appeared to be an agonizing long time, when the Milotic was close enough, exhausted enough, Dasan and I concentrated and heaved back with all of our might snapping her body straight back and above our heads, into the appropriate place for a spirit like her, letting loose a brighter flash compared to those I’ve seen to other spirits getting sealed in. Exhausted, I collapsed to the ground, cautious of not leaning too far over the edge, not longer safely closed in by the rails, now several pieces of splinters on the ground floor. I heard Dasan softly chuckle.

“Hook, line, and sinker. I must say, you tricked her rather well.”

“Th... thanks?”

“I don’t suppose you have a good scroll maker to refine this, so do you want gold or spelltags instead?”

WHAT? I turned around to see Dasan holding a scroll, unrolling it for me to see the design “drawn” on it: a calligraphy-style painting of a Milotic in true blue ink, a lack of symbols present as the scroll was not yet refined. I stared at it, stunned at the simplistic beauty of it.

“On second thought, you’d do better with more spells. Here, is this good enough?” I slowly got up to receive twenty tags: four Interference tags, one – what the –

Is this…” Dasan chuckled at my disbelieving stare at the spelltag on top of the stack; I couldn’t be blamed either; a perfectly mint-condition Signs of Darkrai: Black Backstab spell stared back at me; this powerful spell, probably costing around seventy thousand gold coins on the market, now in my hands, is known for its deadly piercing abilities; by firing a concentrated blast of dark energy, the spell can sear a hole about eight inches wide through a random part of the target’s body, usually nailing the heart for a fatal shot.

Whatever happened to the assassin I knew just a while back?

“Reagald, don’t you dare let your guard down, cause it’s going to be such a shame for you to fall to anyone else but me, got it? Well then, I’ll CATCH you later!”

Jerk.

He jumped down to the ground floor and blasted a huge Fire Blast at the frozen doors, exploding them open, and walked out of the open entrance into the distance. Slowly as he disappeared, as his shadow shrunk with his size in the glimmer of the moon’s light, he waved good-bye to me and then walked away into the horizon.

If I didn’t know better, I would have thought Dasan was actually a decent guy… or was he really one? Do I really know? Could I judge? How did I view him? Somehow feeling defeated, I lethargically took the dagger out of the corpse and went down the stairs to go find my companions, a strange pain slowly – yet surely – eating away at my confused heart.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Seven up!)

No other comments?! I shall remedy this. >|

Another great chapter. I really enjoyed all of these crazy happenings, yet at the same time the chapter felt a bit shorter than the others. Oh, sweet irony; you're one of the longer chapter writers here, and yet I'm asking for more.

I really liked learning more about Dasan here...and how you so interestingly show that he's the biggest jerkwad on the face of the planet, showing Reggi (her new unofficial official nickname lolz) that he's so much more powerful than she is and so much more...well prepared for anything. Whatta tease the jerkface. D< Very subtle. I like the way you did that.

Few notes...

Yet all fellow travelers shared a notable characteristic: none of them knew sorcery, thus they consequently found themselves unaware of the true danger lurking upon them; the moment you or any sane mortal caught sight of the castle, doom was certain. This whole place radiated an illusion of pleasure, such that even looking at the castle would easily and successfully tempt even the paranoid: for instance, if Sandra traveled by herself and walked past this place, she would glance over her shoulder back at the castle, again and again, more and more often, until she would submit, returning back into the inescapable trap.

Semi-colons are used to join two sentences of an extremely close thought, and I could be wrong, but I don't think you can join a semicolon sentence with another. There are so many rules to that blasted punctuation; I think we'd all be better off without it. Also I see an instance of Past Present confusion there- given everything else is past, I suggest changing catching to caught. On the last semicolon, I think that sentence, given it is an example, would be better off as a sentence of its own or one with a colon to show it is an example. It's been a long time since I've looked at a grammar book, so to say, so I have no idea if any of my suggestions are in fact grammatically correct. It's just something I'm noting as a common reader. :\

Swiftly, in a coordinated move, when we were directly in the middle of the hallway, when I thought over the seal to draw for the sixth time, when Dasan let out a yawn from the lack of action, when the bright flame of one of the hall torches flickered, when the cloud blocking the full moon moved, when the hallway brightened from the new light coming in, when a Houndoom howled at it, every door was swung open by the mob of the possessed.

It's a bit long. I kept trying to look for where the coordinated move was, and I kind of lost track here of what was going on because I was looking for that. (Maybe that's just me...) Maybe if you linked two/three of the whens in that sentence together to make some separate sentences, before closing with the mob, it'd flow a little bit better. As I said, it may just be my personal preference, but I want to be able to read all the lovely things going on with a clear mind and not waiting for the last bit. Does that make sense? :B Or am I crazy?

This blasted brush better work.

The sentence here was really weird. I'm honestly not sure of how to make it fit better into the story, but I think that just having work would be better than 'be working'. Given it's more of a thought, maybe italics would help? Like I said, I haven't the faintest.

I suppose I could leave him to all of the fighting and finish my own business.

This sentence was like the one above, somewhat.

She wasn’t present, meaning she was waiting for us to finish us off personally, most likely in the main hall- there was much more space for a spirit to roam around there;

Past present for the first one (she's infers she is). As for the other correction, it just felt like there wasn't enough going on in that tagalong statement. Personal preference.

“Eat while you walk; I don’t have all night, but I am certainly not doing this without you."

Forgot an end quote there. DNA is gunna hate meeeeee-

The place was the same: a large room with four chandeliers, stairs at the far left and right side that went up to a second visible level. The Milotic was waiting, her head above the wooden rail, staring down at us; her body was glowing with numinous energy, flames of hatred burning in her eyes.

I think this is what I was meaning to say when I said 'run-ons'. You can definitely separate these thoughts into complete and well-written sentences. Also of note was a little Past Present thingy (very descriptive I am!) and Milotic standing. When I think standing, I think of something with legs. Maybe resting in wait or waiting even?
Regardless, to me the sentence felt cluttered with all of what was going on. The introduction of Milotic, I feel, should be kept separate from the description of the main hall. Again, I could just be crazy, but that's my two cents on the matter.

I'd love to continue this, but unfortunately I gotta get running. From here, though, I just have to wonder where it's gonna go...and what happened to Reggi's comrades given they had been possessed. Everything, for that matter.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Seven up!)

At last! Thanks for breaking the silence.
Now, for a little grammar lesson. x3

Semi-colons are used to join two sentences of an extremely close thought, and I could be wrong, but I don't think you can join a semicolon sentence with another. There are so many rules to that blasted punctuation; I think we'd all be better off without it. Also I see an instance of Past Present confusion there- given everything else is past, I suggest changing catching to caught. On the last semicolon, I think that sentence, given it is an example, would be better off as a sentence of its own or one with a colon to show it is an example. It's been a long time since I've looked at a grammar book, so to say, so I have no idea if any of my suggestions are in fact grammatically correct. It's just something I'm noting as a common reader. :\
Many people most often believed that the two sentences the semi-colon connects (which I, unlike you, consider it to be quite the nice tool in punctuation) must be very closely related; however, most people don't quite understand what "very closely related" is. As a simple rule, if a sentence explains, describes, qualifies, or describes the sentence before it, then a semi-colon may be used. However, you ARE correct with the colon remark for the last sentence, so touché on that.

It's a bit long. I kept trying to look for where the coordinated move was, and I kind of lost track here of what was going on because I was looking for that. (Maybe that's just me...) Maybe if you linked two/three of the whens in that sentence together to make some separate sentences, before closing with the mob, it'd flow a little bit better. As I said, it may just be my personal preference, but I want to be able to read all the lovely things going on with a clear mind and not waiting for the last bit. Does that make sense? :B Or am I crazy?
You, my friend, are staring at a periodic sentence (and, I must admit, a messy one). The coordinated move describes the swinging of the doors, even though they're at almost opposite ends of the sentence (English is horrible like this becuase most of the time you have to reread a long sentence just trying to figure out what modifies what)! To answer your question on if you make sense, I'd answer 'yes'; you're complaining on how you're stuck reading all the way to the end of the sentence, but some English professors consider the periodic sentence a virtue, mostly because you have to read ALL the way to the end of the sentence before it makes sense, thus grasping the reader's attention. I might fix that, depending if I find a better way to construct it. As for the last question, I think you should answer that yourself. ;D

The sentence here was really weird. I'm honestly not sure of how to make it fit better into the story, but I think that just having work would be better than 'be working'. Given it's more of a thought, maybe italics would help? Like I said, I haven't the faintest.
Uh... It's a simple sentence with a subject ("This blasted brush"), a linking verb ("be") qualified with an adverb ("better"), and the predicate adjective ("working"). It's grammatically correct, so I'm not sure what you mean be "weird."

Next instance was actually a verb tense confusion that DNA happened to miss.

Past present for the first one (she's infers she is). As for the other correction, it just felt like there wasn't enough going on in that tagalong statement. Personal preference.
DNA missed two now... let's see the third strike.

Forgot an end quote there. DNA is gunna hate meeeeee-
If he can get up after his punishment, that is.

Regardless, to me the sentence felt cluttered with all of what was going on. The introduction of Milotic, I feel, should be kept separate from the description of the main hall. Again, I could just be crazy, but that's my two cents on the matter.
Standing is perfectly fine to me x3
I meant to continue the relation chain with "the Milotic standing on it," "it" referring back to the second level.

So your problem isn't on run-ons but on sentences with unrelated ideas on them. Trust me, this is legal. Confusing sometimes, and thus need to be fixed, but legal. ;D

Sorry, no Chapter Eight yet, but expect it soon. |D

I have something that's just as great though:
Credit goes to Crystal Hikara
reggifixed.jpg

(Cloak should be black, but hey, I'm glad with how it is.)

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Seven up!

That is awesome!
Now we need to see a spell in action =P
And if Crystal Hikara reads this post, great job!

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Eight up!)

This chapter didn't go exactly how I wanted it; although I was planning to develop the characters even more, I had little time to do so as a new character paved its way into my tale (not unintentionally, I must admit). Quite obviously, the action slowed down as we had struck a mini-climax in Ch.7, but hopefully, it's not as bad as I think it is to you. Eh, either way, I hope you enjoy the next installation.

Chapter Eight

“So, are you going to let us in on what just happened now?” Sandra pressed as we walked on. I sighed.

The majority of the victims remained unconscious when I retraced my steps back to the room where I had last woken up at. Walking in that room, I saw Rayn and Sandra turning their heads to stare groggily at me, suggesting that they recently woke up, not comprehending much, I suspect. I found myself resisting the urge to burst into laughter at their ridiculous expressions. To be honest, I didn’t care about anyone left in the castle but my companions; those that got here could certainly handle themselves if they have gotten this far. Taking no more than ten minutes for them to get their footing and thought processes cleared up (Quar followed with the recovery soon after Rayn and Sandra), I concluded that getting them out was simple.

Thinking of how to tell them the story wasn’t.

I stalled for time, promising to recount my tale later when we were back out on the desert, but now that I had bought all that time, I found myself no closer to being ready to tell the tale. Had one thing in my story been different, one particular factor tweaked, had I not face such internal conflict from contradicting views, would I easily move on from the experience of that major battle, but alas, I couldn’t even understand anything of that moment just because of this one small thing: Dasan; his behavior defied all logic I attempted to employ to defog the mystery, but I gained naught: the haze is still as thick now as it was before I tried to disperse it with my mind.

Well?” asked Sandra, persistently dragging me back into reality for perhaps the fifth (or some number close to it) time. I opened my mouth, to realize I conjured no words to emit out of it.

“I… I’ll tell.” I finally spoke out, forcefully, as the words could not smoothly come out from my throat. Sandra noted my distracted disposition, but chose not to press on that matter as well, figuring that would move the topic away from what she’d rather hear. I started explaining everything, slowly and softly at first, but with growing confidence, recounting the very past as I envisioned it, in every sense, but with a major lack of thought and emotion; to go back to my reflections, being as organized as the shattered remains of a mirror, would disorient my current sight of the tale and prevent me from moving on. I did, however, omit the part of Dasan giving me several spells to avoid suspicion.

“He didn’t try to kill you after that?” Rayn asked.

“No, I was too tired to put a fight.” I chose not to consider that a lie; after all, I sure didn’t understand his momentary kindness, so no harm in interpreting his mercy as an investment for more entertainment for the assassin; the speculation was definitely more likely to hold true compared to all other possible theories…

Right?

The sun rose and fell, and rose once more. Trouble hardly pestered us as we moved along the large sea of sand, only encountering an irritable mass of Cacturne (that I handily dealt with thanks to a Signs of Flareon spell Dasan gave me) amid the vast landscape during the night.

In simple terms, nothing interesting happened.

We stopped at the next town, known as Merah, slightly larger than Junny in size, but just as undeveloped: not a single fortification or a defensive structure to be seen, not a sophisticated one around either, definitely no big buildings of note, just nothing was in sight. To be honest, little relief came, walking into a haven from the scorching desert; regardless of where you are in this place, something is always after you.

Little wonder why paranoia thrives.

Rayn handed out orders as always: Sandra was to stick with me, and I was to not wander off by myself; these two orders guaranteed – theoretically – constant supervision, slimming Dasan or any other person’s chances of capturing or killing me. For the moment, I could tolerate the slight lack of independence for my safety.

Of course, Fortune doesn’t believe that “Reagald” and “safe” can exist harmoniously in the same sentence.

Sandra and I browsed the store for various supplies. After a good twenty minutes, Sandra purchased all the necessary items (‘necessary’ NOT being the bare minimum; excess is essential in a place where quite a numbers of things could go wrong) and we headed for the door. A distracted Lopunny, however, walked straight into me from my right.

“Agh!”

Being much lighter, I fell down about six inches from where I bumped into her.

“Zoh my god! I’m, like, so sorry!” She rushed over to help me up. Sandra stopped and turned around to watch me groaning as I rubbed my aching bottom while standing up. The Lopunny broke into a ramble of apologies.

“I, like, really didn’t see you there! I wasn’t in my right mind, you know? Like, I had, like, this bad day, and –”

And I, like, need to silence you, like, permanently.

“Hey!” I cried, pointing behind her, quickly devising some way to distract her for a long time, “You see those crate of Pecha berries?”

“Like, yeah.”

“I remembered seeing one shaped more like a cube. You should look for it. Trust me: no signs of disappointment.” I barely picked up the soft chuckle of Sandra’s attempt to stifle a laugh as the baffled Lopunny walked off to do so. Maintaining composure, I set my paws to the side of my mouth, cupped to amplify my voice as I holler after her, “Don’t forget to check the ones at the bottom too!” Immediately after that, an unfamiliar noise startled me from behind; turning around, I stared in surprise, realizing the Flygon emitting the sound, her hands covering her mouth to muffle the noise.

Was Sandra giggling?

I shook my head, walking on, letting Sandra recover from her little moment. We headed out the door (“You’re cruel you know that?” “Well, if she wasn’t such an idiot…”), the glare of the desert sun welcoming us out in the open as we headed to the meeting destination with Quar and Rayn, all of us no doubt ready for a bit of rest before continuing with our travels.

As quickly as sun welcomed us, my surroundings changed drastically as I hit smooth concrete on my side, hard enough to cause me to utter in pain, groaning as I rolled over to get on fours.

“I must say, you’re getting to be a nuisance lately.” I looked up in the dimly lit room; several candles glowed at the stone walls, the center of room devoid of anything but the dreary plain floor. Zero windows, one door, and one Dasan standing in front of that door, his head tilted down in an exaggerated fashion, appearing to be much taller that he was. His eyes narrowed, glinting annoyance with a hint of amusement, almost speaking to me, gently whispering “Entertain me.” with its glare.

Growling, I went to pull out a spelltag, only grabbing my own fur, as I was no longer wearing my cloak (though I had realized the fact after trying to get a spell). The unmoving Ninetales continued to stare at me, waiting for my next move, seeing if I was going to attack him or whatnot. Resigning, I sighed.

“How did you get me here?”

“Signs of Dialga scroll.” Freezing time? Why is it that my own enemies have all of the superior spells? “You better be grateful I spent it for you.” I’m touched. Really.

“What do you want?”

“To warn you.” … what did he just say? The very person after my life is warning me? I donned a curious expression to this ironic answer, waiting for him to continue. “Tokar is stepping up its searches for you, after hearing confirmation about your existence.” My mouth opened to speak, but closed upon realization that he had not yet finished. “Also due to the confirmation, Libren forces have self-organized themselves against Tokar. As of now, the assassination is costing Tokar more than it is benefitting; by destroying one city internally, it brought the wrath of that very city and its allies, all for minor trade control right now. I expect tensions to go one way or another, and Tokar is either going to thrive or fall. Sadly the same goes for the entire desert.” I grimaced, understanding what he meant; Libren was allied with Granith, the most militaristic state in Kahan, inevitably meaning a more aggressive means of resolving the conflict.

At best, Tokar was doomed for obliteration. At worst the entire desert might face a full-blown war. I decided to press for more information, now that he seemed to be open in providing details.

“Isn’t my death going to incite Libren into even more action?”

“Tokar’s council believes your death will discourage the opposition, rather than encourage them.

I just want to hear good news for once; if death doesn’t reach me first, depression will.

“What are they planning?” Dasan’s mocking smile fell to a ferocious frown.

“I suppose this had to come up one way or another… listen carefully; I’m not going to repeat this.” When the assassin was sure he got my full attention, he continued, “Tokar has hired one of the most dangerous – if not the most lethal – assassins. Going by the nickname of ‘Silver,’ he’s a brute of special armor, rumored to be virtually invincible.”

“What?! But there’s no such – ”

“I know, so I shall warn you with this: Do not waste your spells. Find his weakness and exploit it as rapidly and forcefully as possible, or face major consequences if you fail to do so; in hand-to-hand combat, he wields Death’s Scythe, a powerful blade equipped with a fatal poison. The longer you fight, the less chances of avoiding that mortal blow. I wish I could tell you more about him, but his profile is so low, I had to pay for the information I’m passing to you.” This drove me to ask one more question.

“Why are you telling me this?” He shook his head, as if expecting such a childish question a while back.

“Did you already forget? The only person going to defeat you is me. Oh, and one last thing: expect many more enemies soon; with the bounty on you growing, there’s bound to be bounty hunters to follow your tail.”

“Um… thank you.”

“Think nothing of it.” He tossed me my cloak and stepped aside after opening the door.

I no longer understand this guy. Not that I’m complaining, I guess; he is sparing my life.

I walked past him and the awkward encounter without looking back even once. Partially, I felt alienated, isolated, and hurt from the former two feelings; I knew Dasan spent a scroll to warn me, but he didn’t choose to simply meet me in person for a sole reason: he didn’t trust me to stay and listen, but rather expect me to run from him if I spotted him, so he grabbed me by force. Should I be grateful he spent the effort to get me? I held no answer to that.

I checked the contents of my cloak: everything, even the seal brush given to me earlier, remained. Readjusting the dagger to be ready for quick use, I navigated through the town to the inn we [me and my companions] planned to meet at.

Opening the door, I stepped in, expecting to see someone anxious in the lobby. Indeed, Rayn stood up from a seat near the entrance and stared at me.

“By the legends, where have you been?! Sandra said you vanished – ”

“Kidnapped.” He cursed and slapped his forehead.

“Come on. I need to get you in the room with Quar before getting Sandra back. You can tell us what happened then.” I nodded and followed him up to the place, walking in to dryly note that the conditions of the rented space were hardly better than that of the previous room: although we had relatively more room with a few chairs supplied (I’m glad to hope this means no sleeping on oily and dusty table surface), the area appeared to be a desolate ruin, cobwebs in corners, dust everywhere, furniture – as few as there are – randomly placed (either that or idiosyncratically arranged). Quar remained seated at one of the chairs, but rotated his head to look at me, his eyes and slightly grim frown almost reprimanding me for the delay. A bit taken back with a sudden impulse of remorse, I lowered my ears and tucked my hidden tail a bit between my legs, as if I actually deserved blame for the trouble.

“I’ll get Sandra,” informed Rayn. Neither Quar nor I responded, as I began to fidget from the incessant staring. The Blaziken closed the door behind him, possibly the cause of the blink breaking Quar’s stare.

“I told Sandra to not look for you, told her that you could… handle out there, that you know how to come back… if you were fine.” I blinked at his broken statements; unlike Sandra or Rayn, Quar had a feeble grasp on language, slowly pausing every so often to conjure a word with the correct – or something close to correct – meaning. Curious, I attempted to get him to speak more.

“And I did come back.” A slight smile from him.

“Yes… I was right. Granith’s code is always right…”
Aha! Now it makes sense!

“You fought in Granith’s army.” Quar nodded, trying to think of another word.

“I was mer…”

“Mercenary.” Another nod from him. “You left?” Nod.

“Not enough pay. I asked for more… They tore contract.” I nodded, understanding: you defy any Granith superior in any way, you no longer work for them. It’s all part of Granith’s code, the established laws and principles for both the city and the army, but it holds many strict morals. The earlier reference was one of the old principles: “Rescue none but yourself. Worry ‘bout none but your own task.”

I dropped the subject, doubting he would say more, as he turned his head back to look out the window. Bored, I sat at the other chair, waiting, snacking on a Chesto berry I bought earlier on the shopping trip with Sandra. With the free time, I quickly opened the journal, managing to write down all you have read up to here, dear reader, at this exact point. Two hours of writing and reflecting and not one step closer to knowing anything, be it the identity of Dasan, my companions, or myself, be it the possibilities of what the future holds for me, or what will become of me; I was a stranger, living a life I did not seem to own, meeting and interacting with other beings with no chance to personally know them, acting out someone I didn’t seem to truly be, but that was because I did not, no, I could not fathom even a trait of my true self. I just wanted to toss the journal away and cry to the world in frustration:

Who am I? What am I to do?

Sandra and Rayn walked in even later, when the sun was only tapping the vast horizon. Consequently, I opened my eyes lazily, forcing myself to become more aware, greeting the two with a yawn and a short stretch. Then we got down to the serious matters.

Having already written the events in my journal, tracing back to those events about my sudden disappearance proved to be no difficulty. Of course, that didn’t make the whole issue any less complicated. Rayn kept frowning, obviously troubled with the political matters.

“Kahan was just devastated in a war two decades ago. “‘Nother conflict like this and the whole desert would be completely unstable.”

“It’s best to leave as soon as possible, since this land might fall apart soon.”

“Wait!” Rayn and Sandra turned to look at me, noting my confused expressions. “Are you saying we’re just going to leave this place to crumble?”

“Do you have a way of preventing that?” challenged Sandra. I opened my mouth but no counter-arguments came to mind. Nevertheless, my nature was against the matter: I was a noble, and as selfish as we were, we knew to at least look over and protect our subjects… at least, we did in Libren. To suddenly just walk away… as much as I wished to do so, to get out of all the dangers in this place, could I really let go that easily?

Then again, did I even have a choice?

I closed my hanging mouth and lowered my head, defeated. Sandra nodded.

“Good. We rest and head to Tokar.”

… Did she just say “Tokar”? Rayn noted my incredulity.

“It’s the most direct route out of Kahan. Besides, we’ll make sure you’ll be safe. Furthermore, if Dasan wants to take you down himself later on, then he’ll be forced to protect you as well.” he guaranteed. Since he put it that way…

The rest of the trip out of town lacked words, devoid of much communication as we left the room, left the inn, left the entire city, back out onto the desert, now cool once more as the sun has nearly sunk beneath our sight. By now, the view of the far-reaching desert no longer fascinated me, no longer held surprises. In fact, the traveling to Tokar would have nothing of note if the following encounter never occurred:

A skeleton of a Pidgeot, half-buried in the sand, intercepted our path. Sandra walked in front of us and knelt down to look.

“Broken leg, and disjoints everywhere. I’m guess a hidden Flygon mauled it underground to death and left the rest to scavenging Murkrows.” I mentally shuddered, picturing the entire scene. Sandra continued, “Ah, here it is.” She uncovered some of the sand on the bones, unveiling a small sack. So that’s how they can travel around without getting poor. Currency travels everywhere in all sorts of ways; merchants profit from travelers, thieves profit from merchants, and travelers capture thieves on the run.

Although I’d love to stop there, I can’t.

A small light flashed from behind us, and a small red circle appeared on the sack. My sorcerer’s seal lit, revealing a spiritual presence.

“Drop the bag, now.”

Turning to find the source of the threatening demand, I saw an Arcanine, her body of uncanny size – larger even compared to other Arcanines I’ve seen before, greatly dwarfing even Sandra and Rayn – but elegant rather than bulky, her fur combed rather than matted, her features more rounded than what one normally expects of an Arcanine. Her right paw, pointed at the circle on the bag, glowed a dim scarlet light. I recognized the glowing, as past experienced informed me of its implications: the fourth known type of sorcery…

Elemental sorcery, contested to be the most convenient and useful sorcery – as it only requires energy that could be conjured at will, was something I was not capable of performing…

Only because my blasted mentor didn’t teach me! Heck, I could guess he was too incompetent to even perform it himself.

Sandra glared at the opposition, her challenging eyes demanding the reason to comply. Yet it was not Sandra who asked, but instead Quar. The Arcanine’s fierce face donned a grin of hauteur, keeping her paw in place, ready to blast some type of attack at the bag if the situation deemed it necessary to her.

“Too simple,” she began, “It is merely more reasonable to call stalemate and leave the bag alone, rather than expending your energy to fight me for it.” Unexpected to everyone (even to myself), I replied first:

“What of your inventory? What’s to say that you don’t have anything on you possibly worth fighting for?” Her head turned to face me and locked her eyes on mine. She lowered her paw, the glow of ir and the circular marker on the bag now gone, and straightened her back a bit. I expected her to walk away, but she caught me off guard instead.

“You’re Reagald,” she stated in the bluntest manner imaginable. Arceus, how could I even think of responding to that without sounding awkward? Thankfully, Rayn moved the conversation along for me.

“Who are you?” The Arcanine chuckled cynically. Her entire disposition – so irritably condescending it was! – and appearance took up that of an upper end noble; her body was kempt; her movements and eyes, sharp; her tone, arrogant; her words, biting.

“Felicia,” she replied, treating the answer as a rather obvious one, her paw raking the fur behind her left ear. “Felicia” did seem to be a common name for a female Arcanine. She shook her head, her mane freely flowing in the air as she took her paw back down to her side, and I could’ve sworn she just ever so slightly tilted her head. With a hint of amusement, she added, “full-time bounty hunter.”

Darn it! I bet that’s why she recognized me! Yet, the whole situation held illogical events in it. Naturally, I attempted to clear them up.

“Why warn us? If you are confident in your skills, you would have just attacked in an ambush.” Her eyes glittered, faintly reflecting the moonlight; Felicia’s appearance did not change, but those eyes suggest laughter, inside mocking laughter. To be honest, I find it frightening how I could be reading her so clearly, and I thus wonder if she could be doing the same to me.

“I planned to have done that, yes. However – ” She paused for a moment of theatrical suspense. “I have decided against it. Even if you don’t know it, we actually have a common goal; I believe you know about Silver’s next target?”

“Me, correct?” She nodded.

“However, Silver is monopolizing the market: he takes all of the highest bounties, and kills even those competing for those he’s after. We’re all stuck with lower bounties while he profits more and more. Killing you would result in Silver going into pursuit after me, and even I cannot overcome him myself.”

“You’re looking for an alliance.” I concluded. Another nod from her. Rayn growled, stepping forward so that he was now in front, closest to Felicia.

“And why should we trust you? You could turn your back on us at any given time.”

“You want a guarantee? I’ll give you a guarantee. Catch.” She held out a sack of her own and tossed it underhand to Rayn. He caught it and opened the sack, looking at the contents of it. He then looked up at Felicia, eyes narrowed, but much more trusting, a strange bond formed from whatever was in the bag.

“… I didn’t recognize you.” Rayn at last came to remark. My ears perked up, ready to hear the rest. Felicia’s smile widened.

“I keep a low profile.”

“Rayn, what – ” Rayn cut Sandra off, turning his head to look at her, shaking his head slowly.

“It’s OK. We can trust her.” Sandra nastily responded with a glare, silently requesting for an explanation. Rayn held firm and looked back to Felicia. “What are you planning?”

“Nothing actually. I’ll follow you until Silver shows up. I believe you’re heading out of Kahan, no? Silver doesn’t travel out of Kahan to keep a firm clamp on his market, so if he doesn’t show up, then great. If he does, then I’ll help you take him down.” Wait a moment…

“What of his armor?” I questioned. She scoffed.

“The rumors can’t be true. Most likely, he’s just fueling it defensive strength with sorcery of some sort. With enough power, it can be overcome.”

And what if you’re wrong, Felicia?

“Very well, I say we get moving. Tokar’s only a day’s walk from here.” suggested Rayn. Several nods from us agreed with the notion. He nodded back. “Good. Let’s go,” he said, taking a step forward, near the skeleton, when Sandra cried out, “Wait!”

The sand in front of Rayn erupted, and a hostile Flygon leaped out, aiming for the Blaziken’s neck. In reflex, Rayn jumped back, claws barely missing him. The earth nearly shook as several more Flygons rose out of their hiding spots. With so many, it’s not a wonder how the poor Pidgeot couldn’t escape its fate (then again, I don’t really know if being a skeleton is “poor”; I’ve never been one myself).

”Scarlet Shot!” A familiar red circle appeared on the neck of the closest enemy, and a flash of energy emitted from Felicia’s right paw and instantly reached its target, exploding on contact. The struck Flygon cried in pain and tottered back as it fell to the ground, writhing, its neck burning, sizzling, from Felicia’s energy. The other Flygons lunged, and the fight truly started!

Sandra, being the second to charge at the enemy (Rayn was first as he was closest), unlatched the straps around her spear, moving it from her back to her hands in less than a second, quicker than how long it takes for most warriors to even pull out a sword. Quar, not far behind, covered the right flank, leaving the left open for Felicia to fire at, sniping Flygon after Flygon. I simply choose to watch the massacre, observing Felicia’s sorcery, seeing if it was possible to pick up the skill by mere examination.

However, the whole thing lasted two minutes, leaving a bloody mess of dead Flygons on the ground. I barely even picked up how she managed to summon the energy: it’s similar to using third sorcery, but rather than keeping the energy spiritual, it is converted into one of the known elements – in Felicia’s case, Fire.

Sandra picked up the dead Pidgeot’s bag, and looked at Felicia, who shrugged.

“Keep it. I’m coming along with you, after all.”

Rayn turned from the battle scene (the blood flowing out from all of them could have filled a small fountain by now) to look at us, shaking his head.

“Of course… they stuck around to lure anyone after spoiled treasures.”

“You didn’t know?” asked Sandra, slightly surprised at Rayn’s late revelation. To be honest, the thought never occurred to me at all; if I was to have walked forward like Rayn did, I would have surely not been alive after that. But as we would with simple dust, we brushed off the experience and walked on.

The rest of the journey to Tokar held no surprises. Felicia walked along with us, and we treated her as we would one another. As time moved on, our view of the city grew larger as the sun rose out of the horizon. As we approached the land, I put on the hood of my cloak to conceal my identity as much as possible.

In terms of size, Tokar almost matched Libren, its boundaries shaped in a square with rounded edges (due to large watchtowers, each one at a corner). Even with the high, imposing, fortified walls, you could spot the nobles’ palace in the heart of the city. You’d think it wasn’t that much different from Libren.

When you get inside, you’d think otherwise; the poverty jumped out at me when I got past the gates; starving children – weak and scrappy, as the skin was depressed to near nothing with the absence of fat – in the alley right beside me desperately fighting over a piece of bread. Many down the lane rested against buildings, wasting away as small streams of sand blew over them, slightly depositing small amounts at their side.

What manner of nightmare is this?

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Eight up!

Why is it that my own enemies has all of the superior spells?
Enemies has? That should either be Enemy has or enemies have =P
Overall, incredible chapter. I'm starting to think Dasan may not try to kill Reagald in the end after all.

And also
A distracted Lopunny, however, walked straight into me from my right.

“Agh!”

Being much lighter, I fell down about six inches from where I bumped into her.

“Zoh my god! I’m, like, so sorry!” She rushed over to help me up. Sandra stopped and turned around to watch me groaning as I rubbed my aching bottom while standing up. The Lopunny broke into a ramble of apologies.

“I, like, really didn’t see you there! I wasn’t in my right mind, you know? Like, I had, like, this bad day, and –”

And I, like, need to silence you, like, permanently.

“Hey!” I cried, pointing behind her, quickly devising some way to distract her for a long time, “You see those crate of Pecha berries?”

“Like, yeah.”

“I remembered seeing one shaped more like a cube. You should look for it. Trust me: no signs of disappointment.” I barely picked up the soft chuckle of Sandra’s attempt to stifle a laugh as the baffled Lopunny walked off to do so. Maintaining composure, I set my paws to the side of my mouth, cupped to amplify my voice as I holler after her, “Don’t forget to check the ones at the bottom too!” Immediately after that, an unfamiliar noise startled me from behind; turning around, I stared in surprise, realizing the Flygon emitting the sound, her hands covering her mouth to muffle the noise.
I'm almost positive that was a reference to me ._.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Eight up!)

^hahahaha squirtli
For the rest of you, the reason I don't make many comments is because I've read the chapters ahead of time. It is actually a lot more suspenseful for me than it is for you, because Zyflair sends the chapters to me in installments. (So as far as I'm concerned, I could be reading chapter 25.) For example:

In chapter 7, when they're trying to reel in the Milotic, you see this:
The sudden halt of my movement jerked the spirit back, but she hurriedly pulled back; the stubborn wood began to creak, and then – at a moment of great dread, a memory I wish to never have happen again – splintered, giving way and forcing me to go past the boundary and into the air –

Until a Ninetales grabbed onto the chain, slowly pulling back with much strain, setting me back on solid ground. I looked up to see the lower half of Dasan’s face, his lips curled up in a snarl.
When I read (past tense) it, I saw this:
The sudden halt of my movement jerked the spirit back, but she hurriedly pulled back; the stubborn wood began to creak, and then – at a moment of great dread, a memory I wish to never have happen again – splintered, giving way and forcing me to go past the boundary and into the air –
I have to wait to see what happens next, and I am always drooling in anticipation for what's going to occur after those moments :p

/me just wanted to get that off of his chest.

Edit: Just noticed something more. Zyflair, at the end of the chapter, you might want to put instead "What manner of nightmare is this?"

^You should be glad I cliffhang you all the time. :3
And thanks for the last part. *Edits*

squirtli said:
I'm almost positive that was a reference to me ._.
You? Really? It's just a Lopunny. :p

I am very glad.

I think this turned out muuuuuuch better, Zyflair. :3 I don't think I caught sight of any of those long, confusing sentences. I could be mistaken- reading on a Wii isn't as glamorous as I thought it'd be- but I think I saw improvement. :3

I did notice a missing " mark...when Dasan was talking about the assasination helping vs. hurting. Reggi or Dasan, can't really bother to check for such a small detail. :p

I see whut u doin Zy u want moves storee forward lulz. lD;

Squirti: Thanksee. Yeah, I wonder what spell she's activating :0 (Mebbe Signs of Eons? LULZ.)

I'll have to look for it. :p

Thanks for reading again (I know how hard it is to do with so much to do)!

After some time, I enjoyed writing this chapter. But then it came back...
THIS STUPID WRITER'S BLOCK JUST CAME BACK AND HALTED MY PROGRESS. >_<
I'm still writing. Just a bit faster than a snail can, but I'm going as hard as I can to break the darn wall. I have the ideas down, but conveying them as words... I'm sure some of you have experienced the situation. Ah well, enjoy the next installation of Reagald's tale.

/me runs off to try to type some more.

Chapter Nine

Slowly we proceeded into the heart of the city. I could neither glance away from the suffering bystanders, nor even fathom on how they ended up in such a hopeless position: sitting there without any motivation to do a single thing.

However, as we moved closer in, the atmosphere slowly lightened as we walked deeper into Tokar. Buildings improved along with the surrounding people: A market lied between the gates and the palace, with many merchants with a rich variety of goods; all present consumers were lively, spending their coins without thought or consideration, going along with their days in an elegant setting, ignorant of the background of suffering. My heart went from pity to disgust; how could they all be so blind?! At that moment, if something had not distracted me, I would have mobbed several people and fed every single starving person in this place – one by one if so required. Luckily, something did:

“Felicia?!”

Dasan walked straight up to us, his manner and posture as composed as ever, but his expression an unrestrained incredulity; those sharp eyes had widened to almost twice their size, his mouth hung open (although not completely open: the gap was too small for me to fit my paw into it), and he only kept staring at the person he called, possibly distracted by the Arcanine, as if she was just bizarre in some way (and from Dasan’s staring, I could only guess he imagined her to have fallen down from the sky; he quickly glanced up every now and then). I wondered if we all were all to attack right now, would he snap out of it in time? But the thought fled my mind as the moment of silence finally broke into dialogue as he stopped walking.

“What in Arceus’s name are you doing here?” Dasan asked, half addressing her, half addressing himself. Felicia, being Felicia, shifted her weight to one side and grinned widely.

“Enjoying the sights,” she outlandishly lied, twirling a few strands of her hair with her right paw, “I figured you might enjoy having me visit you once in a while.” Dasan finally managed to fully close his mouth and shook his head, finally back on the firm ground of reality (whatever his reality is).

“I’m touched. Really.” That sounded quite familiar. “Surely you plan explaining why you’re ‘enjoying the sights’ with this group over here.” His paw gestured to indicate me and the others. Felicia shook her head. “No? Well then, let’s try Silver.” Dasan grinned back when he caught a small flinch on Felicia. “Thought so. They aren’t going to help you as much if you still haven’t yet figured out his armor – ”

“Please,” interrupted Felicia, no longer arrogantly cheerful, “don’t tell me you hold faith in the ridiculous rumors on him.”

“You have something to prove otherwise?” the Ninetales retorted.

“Common sense tells us that force overcomes the opposing force; his armor may be powerful, but there’s no possibility that it’s invincible. Now, why don’t you explain why you’re here?” I would have expected the Ninetales to chuckle. Obviously, dear reader, you know I’m saying that because that wasn’t the case. I could not have said he frowned, but seriousness enveloped him.

“Tyran.”

“That Charizard noble you despise? Go on.”

“He seized the council.” Felicia’s expression flashed from restrained curiosity to downright shock. Likewise, I couldn’t help but utter out of dismay:

“How did he seize the council?”

“What is seizing the council?” inquired Sandra, rather impatiently, perhaps in some strange need to understand us so she could don the same expression us three had (Rayn and Quar did not know the phrase either).

“To dominate the entire council, to seize absolute power,” explained Dasan, “I don’t know how, but he became much more powerful while I was out of Tokar.” In a low growl he added, “His dictatorship is going to ruin Tokar…”

“Ruin?” I couldn’t remember who asked that – I could have been the one (most likely, I admit).

“The idiot is going for complete control over Kahan. War is inevitable, and Tokar is in no condition for one, especially since he’s hoarding all the wealth at the same time.”

“And you can’t stop him,” Felicia bluntly pointed out.

“Felicia, he overpowered every single sorcerer and warrior in the palace single-handedly; going against him might as well be considered suicide. In any case, the council is stuck to his whim.” She nodded, understanding. Dasan shook his head.

“I should go. Leave this place by tonight. I have no doubts you shall be spotted if you linger any longer.” He directed the order to me. Turning around, he appeared to have started walking, but he instead stepped aside for a group of soldiers. We did the same. My eyes narrowed, noting something about the soldiers: there wasn’t a Tokar emblem on their right shoulder guard. They were also huddled to one another too closely. Both peculiarities were explained as a foreign ambassador walked with them in the middle, a Swellow barely seen in the mass of walking military. I accidentally let up a gasp in recognition.

“Skylar!”

“Halt!” They stopped and spread out as the Swellow turned around to find who called him. His eyes locked on me, and he froze, completely stunned.

“By the legends,” he breathed, “the rumors are true…”

“Skylar, what’s going on? Why are you here?”

“Negotiating with Tyran, but it’s impossible; he refuses any peace treaties without full power over Libren…”

“That’s Tyran for you,” muttered Dasan.

“There’s no choice. We have to defeat Tokar…” Skylar finished the statement begrudgingly, obviously unwilling to deal with war. I wonder how hard he tried to appease the Charizard. Skylar then continued, “What are you doing in such a dangerous area? If he hears about your presence, he’ll have you dead.”

“It’s fine, Skylar. Don’t worry about me.” I couldn’t bring myself to admit to him that I planned to leave Kahan. Libren’s ambassador was a passionate one, but modest and peaceful. He would not object to me leaving, but it would no doubt sadden him. I wished him best of luck in the war when it truly comes.

“Farewell…” He waved his wing and then turned around. “Move out!” The soldiers huddled together in tight formation and walked out of sight.

Time ticked by as I rested in the rented inn room with Quar and Rayn. Felicia was out on intelligence. Sandra soon came in with food bought with some of the coins from the dead Pidgeot’s bag. She set the meal on the table, then turned to Rayn.

“Explanation. Now.”

“What?”

“Who’s Felicia?” Rayn smiled at the question.

“She was commander of Granith’s forces before the current one.”

“No!” cried Quar, getting up. “She gave you her seal in that bag?” Seal? Rayn nodded and opened the bag and took out a stamp with ink. He took off the stamp cap and revealed Granith’s military emblem, but more decorative.

“It’s no longer in use though, as the new commander was given a new emblem to stamp his orders.” So Felicia was a commander from Granith, formerly giving out orders to its troops. I should be glad, but something about all of this bothered me instead.

“Why did she leave the forces?” I asked.

“No one knows.” That’s what it was: I’m wondering if she left Granith. I doubt it, to be honest, as Granith nobles have their lives rather well. If she did… I honestly have no clue what that may lead to. She may call it an alliance, but to me, she’s a wild card. A dangerous one.

In any case, Felicia walked in, her mouth twisted in a grim fashion, bearing bad news no doubt. We all turned to look at her as she revealed what she learned:

“Tokar has officially declared war.” She might as well have said Tyran instead of Tokar and it would have made no difference. However, this came as no surprise so we all waited for her to continue. “Also, Silver had just recently departed to Kolin.” This invoked a growl from Sandra.

“Great,” she muttered. Like you, dear reader, I didn’t get it.

“If that’s where we’re planning going to, then why can't we head to a different city?”

“There’s no other possibility,” explained Rayn, looking at me to make sure he had my attention. “Kolin itself is a two day trip, and it’s by far the shortest stop in the West route. We’ll have to hope for the best.”

I nodded, working out how to face Silver on first encounter in the back of my mind. We ate a small meal (dried imported noodles with some interesting pasta sauce. I suspect that the sauce is just to soften the noodles so we wouldn't accidentally break our teeth) and went to rest. Although devoid of sound, the room didn’t feel peaceful; sleeping merely left me tense, not rested. I couldn’t be assured even in this room I was safe.

If only Roy was still with me…

The procedure remained the same: get up at sunset, check out, redo inventory for supplies, and head out of the town. Nothing special.

You do know I’m lying, right, dear reader?

Forgetting past experience, I led the group out of the inn in eagerness. It was timed brilliantly: Someone ran up and slammed some blunt object into the side of my head, knocking me out, but before the whole world went black, I heard a small boom, as a smoke bomb went off.

“Ah, she’s coming to.”

I groaned, the world emerging from the black abyss. All of my companions were staring at me in the inn’s lobby. Disoriented, I mumbled something and brought out a question:

“What happened?”

“Someone knocked you unconscious and got away with your cloak.” That snapped me straight awake. My right paw quickly went to my side and around the waist to confirm this. Fur, fur, fur. So it really was gone.

Contrary to the reaction everyone (most likely) expected, I sighed with relief, leaning my back onto the chair I sat on.

“Rea… Reagald?”

“Thank Arceus I couldn’t sleep well,” I muttered, “or I never would have locked my spells…”

“Locked… your spells?”

“What are you talking about?”

I sat up and then stood, making sure my balance retained from the sudden knockout earlier. It did.

“I don’t want to lecture much, but put it this way; sorcery is based off of the conversion of a spirit – or part of a spirit – into energy. The sorcerer is thus the medium, the converter. However, to a sorcerer, to use sorcery, one must be able to tap into the spirit.”

“Where are you getting at?” interrupted Felicia, impatient.

“A gifted and careful sorcerer that deals in both the first and second types has the option of ‘locking’ their spells from being used when stolen; by imprinting an opposing spirit (the spirit of the sorcerer locking the tag) on the spell, the thief cannot activate the spell without painstakingly removing the ‘lock.’ It is also without value to a shopkeeper, as they can no doubt detected locked spells. They only way they’re going to be able to use them is to now kidnap me to unlock it.”

“When did you ‘lock’ your spells?” inquired Sandra. I took the question as a request for the first part of my “confusing” statement.

“When I had trouble sleeping just moments ago; I spent my anxious energy onto locking all of my spells. Then I was able to fall asleep with the rest of you.” They stared at me in complete disbelief; my anxiety just saved myself from being completely robbed. That leaves one question for them to ask:

“So why they didn’t just kidnap you in the first place?” asked Rayn.

“Two possible reasons: Either one – he or she (or maybe even they) knows nothing about spell locking or just didn’t expect it, meaning it will take time for a storekeeper to set them to reality before I will be pursued – or two – they fear that I know fourth sorcery, meaning my capture would just cause trouble.” Silence followed the explanation, leaving me to continue, “In any case, I’m without a weapon.”

“We can head over to a sorcerer’s – ”

“No.” I shook my head. “The attack was perfectly planned on me. In this place, they would no doubt go after me after such a flawless move. Besides, I wonder how many smoke bombs they have for use for others?” I neglected to mention that one of my spells was worth an easy five digits, thanks to Dasan. With such potential riches, they were bound to be coming for me. Of course, no need to tell that to the others; we were all a bit paranoid in our own ways. I rubbed my paws, a sly grin on my face. “I suppose, in the meantime, I’ll have to use something else…”

“I already told you: I don’t do short swords, even for scimitars.” I sighed. Tokar’s only blacksmith had to be a stubborn idiot. I tried once more:

“If you create long blades and daggers, where is the harm in trying something in the middle? I'll buy it for the price of a full sword.”

“I’m not going to repeat myself,” he spat, turning away at us, with a hammer at his hand. Curse this shop; all swords were too heavy for my use and I couldn’t rely on daggers (don’t even ask me about throwing knifes; even from just twenty yards away, my chances of hitting the opponent are just the same as world peace would be to come and stay for eternity). Sandra set a hand on my shoulder.

“It’s pointless.” I could have made a pun with that statement, but I kept it to myself. Regardless, the trip here only produced frustration and wasted time. We left both the blacksmith’s shop and the city for Kolin.

Looks like I’m going to go bare for a while.

Very good chapter! I'm surprised nobody else has posted >.>
I didn't find any mistakes in this one, so good job to DNA.
I'm still wondering if it could've been Silver that took Reagald's robe...

Back