Writing The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Nine up!)

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter One up!)

Preview of Chapter Two. Has more action, so be glad. ;D

Darkness… everywhere. Not only did it fill my eyes, but my heart and soul as well. I blindly walked through the stone tunnel, weeping for Roy’s fate, wishing I had just died with him, wondering if ending my life right now… would let me catch up to him in the afterlife, almost stopping to test that, gripping my chest to keep the emotional pain at bay. Living no longer mattered… what do I live for? Just what was my purpose? I still can’t find the answer as I write this, dear reader. Nevertheless, I managed to hold myself together, to move on.

The vast eternity of emptiness eventually reached its end for me, as I reached the vault door. Grabbing the rectangular, wooden block, I raised it up and then pushed the door out. Complete black made way for the rather bright moonlight, causing me to shield my eyes for a brief moment. I looked around quickly, for I had never taken this passage of last resort, wondering what awaits me.

I realized I stood on a large rock, stuck between the cliff above – where the palace stood on – and the city below. Returning back to the palace was obviously the worst move possible, so I had no choice but to get down to the city. Sadly, there just happened to be one small issue:

I was standing in the middle of a rock wall, roughly three to four hundred feet above the ground, with nothing but sharp rocks to grab on the way down... nothing to cushion the fall... not a spell to aid me... just me and nothing else. Annoyed at the conundrum, I sat down and massaged my temples, hoping to find even a decent plan to get down.

“And we called this an escape route…”

Obviously, they would’ve expected to have brought some loyal sorcerer to aid in the escape, and I was one, but I had no spells… What I did possess was my physical body, and mind. Jumping down, without much doubt, likely would result in death and might as well be considered suicide, and that didn’t seem such a bad thing, since I had nothing to live for.

Who am I kidding? I was too scared to die, but I was alone, no one to aid me in this perilous situation. If there was one thing for certain though: if there was one way to stay alive, it definitely would involve keeping down somehow. And I spotted the answer close by, for the end of the secret passage had two sharp steel bars, a foot long each, dull and rusted through the years, neglected from its purpose: tools for an escapade as artificial means of bars to get down. But to slowly take one step down every time… I was powerful for a mere Eevee, but I questioned how long I could keep hanging on to them during my descent. Regardless, my mind failed in finding alternatives, empty in thoughts except to go down.

So it was decided, I would use the rods to get down, but the effort would be too much, for to pull the rods in and out of hard rock would drain too much energy. No, I needed some fast way… then it occurred to me that I didn’t always need to be anchored in. If I jump down and let myself fall for a short moment and then use the rods to stop the fall, then I could get down faster and not spend as much energy. However, if I let myself fall down too fast, then the force would be too great and I might not be able to anchor myself or accidently let go of the rod. It was worth a shot…

I stated to concentrate, my lungs took in heaps of air, rushed to deliver oxygen throughout my body, tensing and relaxing my muscles, preparing for the distant descent down, my eyes closed, clarifying the rest of my other senses, aiding me in calming down (for I can’t look down right now!), all distractions removed… even Roy, forgotten in my concentration.

Ready.

I opened my eyes and grabbed both of the icicles of rust, one in each paw, ignoring the metallic, rough texture, leaping off the side of the ledge, falling almost diagonally towards the ground as a Staraptor would close in for the kill. When the fall started to dangerously accelerate, I pierced the rocky cliff wall with my right paw, immediately following with my left within a fraction of a second. The sudden friction halted the fall in half a second, and a loud cry emitted from my throat, blood dripping onto my head; the uneven rust of the rod had scraped the skin of my right gripping paw, as if I ran it through sandpaper. The pain was enormous, causing every instinct to urge me to just let go and tend to my paw; I could only assume my paw had lost much of its skin, revealing soft and bloody flesh. Whether it was true, I didn’t dare look up to test that guess, for it was agreed among combat experts that looking at wounds would psychologically cause the mind to create more pain. Besides, the amount of blood raining from my paw was dying the top of my head a murky red, and looking up would result in me blinding myself with my own blood. I cursed at my luck; not even a third of the way down and I made the mistake of stopping my fall too late, ending up with a useless paw. I let go of the right rod, knowing it’s pointless to try to pull it back out with a skinless paw, setting my right arm down to my side, ever so careful not to even glimpse at the loss.

I needed a new plan. Quick.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Preview for Chapt

I can't wait for the next chapter! It is easily the best, from what you revealed in the prologue!

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Preview for Chapter Two up!)

Thank you, thank you. However, don't expect it to come until the weekends. ^_^"

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Preview for Chapter Two up!)

I can't wait till the weekend.I have to know what happens to Reagald.But I do have a question,why does a girl Eevee have a boy name?

Hmm... I don't know. ;D

!!!

w893ev.png

You have my word. :D

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Two
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Darkness… everywhere. Not only did it fill my eyes, but my heart and soul as well. I blindly walked through the stone tunnel, weeping for Roy’s fate, wishing I had just died with him, wondering if ending my life right now… would let me catch up to him in the afterlife, almost stopping to test that, gripping my chest to keep the emotional pain at bay. Living no longer mattered… what do I live for? Just what was my purpose? I still can’t find the answer as I write this, dear reader. Nevertheless, I managed to hold myself together, to move on.

The vast eternity of emptiness eventually reached its end for me, as I reached the vault door. Grabbing the rectangular, wooden block, I raised it up and then pushed the door out. Complete black made way for the rather bright moonlight, causing me to shield my eyes for a brief moment. I looked around quickly, for I had never taken this passage of last resort, wondering what awaits me.

I realized I stood on a large rock, stuck between the cliff above – where the palace stood on – and the city below. Returning back to the palace was obviously the worst move possible, so I had no choice but to get down to the city. Sadly, there just happened to be one small issue:

I was standing in the middle of a rock wall, roughly three to four hundred feet above the ground, with nothing but sharp rocks to grab on the way down... nothing to cushion the fall... not a spell to aid me... just me and nothing else. Annoyed at the conundrum, I sat down and massaged my temples, hoping to find even a decent plan to get down.

“And we called this an escape route…”

Obviously, they would’ve expected to have brought some loyal sorcerer to aid in the escape, and I was one, but I had no spells… What I did possess was my physical body, and mind. Jumping down, without much doubt, likely would result in death and might as well be considered suicide, and that didn’t seem such a bad thing, since I had nothing to live for.

Who am I kidding? I was too scared to die, but I was alone, no one to aid me in this perilous situation. If there was one thing for certain though: if there was one way to stay alive, it definitely would involve keeping down somehow. And I spotted the answer close by, for the end of the secret passage had two sharp steel bars, a foot long each, dull and rusted through the years, neglected from its purpose: tools for an escapade as artificial means of bars to get down. But to slowly take one step down every time… I was powerful for a mere Eevee, but I questioned how long I could keep hanging on to them during my descent. Regardless, my mind failed in finding alternatives, empty in thoughts except to go down.

So it was decided, I would use the rods to get down, but the effort would be too much, for to pull the rods in and out of hard rock would drain too much energy. No, I needed some fast way… then it occurred to me that I didn’t always need to be anchored in. If I jump down and let myself fall for a short moment and then use the rods to stop the fall, then I could get down faster and not spend as much energy. However, if I let myself fall down too fast, then the force would be too great and I might not be able to anchor myself or accidently let go of the rod. It was worth a shot…

I stated to concentrate, my lungs took in heaps of air, rushed to deliver oxygen throughout my body, tensing and relaxing my muscles, preparing for the distant descent down, my eyes closed, clarifying the rest of my other senses, aiding me in calming down (for I can’t look down right now!), all distractions removed… even Roy, forgotten in my concentration.

Ready.

I opened my eyes and grabbed both of the icicles of rust, one in each paw, ignoring the metallic, rough texture, leaping off the side of the ledge, falling almost diagonally towards the ground as a Staraptor would close in for the kill. When the fall started to dangerously accelerate, I pierced the rocky cliff wall with my right paw, immediately following with my left within a fraction of a second. The sudden friction halted the fall in half a second, and a loud cry emitted from my throat, blood dripping onto my head; the uneven rust of the rod had scraped the skin of my right gripping paw, as if I ran it through sandpaper. The pain was enormous, causing every instinct to urge me to just let go and tend to my paw; I could only assume my paw had lost much of its skin, revealing soft and bloody flesh. Whether it was true, I didn’t dare look up to test that guess, for it was agreed among combat experts that looking at wounds would psychologically cause the mind to create more pain. Besides, the amount of blood raining from my paw was dying the top of my head a murky red, and looking up would result in me blinding myself with my own blood. I cursed at my luck; not even a third of the way down and I made the mistake of stopping my fall too late, ending up with a useless paw. I let go of the right rod, knowing it’s pointless to try to pull it back out with a skinless paw, setting my right arm down to my side, ever so careful not to even glimpse at the loss.

I needed a new plan. Quick.

Scanning the area around and below me, I eventually resolved to hopefully descend down to the halfway point with my remaining arm and leap straight into a market stall where the fabric roof would cushion my fall. Also, the closest one was selling (not at the current time, for it was still night) fruits in carts rather than tables or slanted shelves. This will also be a much more preferable landing, for fruits are much better cushioning than anything else within my landing range. Problem was (why is there always one?) that if I missed landing on the “soft” roof, I would – at best – strike some wandering person that unluckily got out at night and possibly break something of mine (can’t say much for the other guy) or –at worst – kill myself by being impaled on a nearby pole.

Stupid odds, but better than hanging onto a rusty rod until getting too tired to hold on, letting go, crashing into certain death.

I sighed and, with much more effort than expected, pulled out the rod and let myself fall again, but only for half a second before jamming the rod back in the layers of stone; I couldn’t afford to injure my intact arm… but I also couldn’t afford to take such time and endurance to go down at such a slow pace, for my arm was already numb and sore from overuse. After two more cycles of yanking out and slamming in the rod, the fiery pain seared the muscles of my right arm, begging me to stop the torturous trial. I checked the distance and figured it was close enough. Using the last resorts of my right arm, I swung myself up and set my back paws onto the wall, letting go of the rod, propelling myself at the target, internally praying my precision was decent enough.

I struck dead center onto the purple fabric of the desired roof, the force strong enough to crack all four supporting, wooden poles. My fall resumed after the short halt, sending me down into a large cart of Oran berries. The air flew out of my lungs as the blunt objects struck my back. Luckily, nothing broke from the hit as I soon would realize later. Knowing the commotion would most likely bring in unneeded attention, I hurried to get off the mess and out, but I stopped, spotting a large, rectangular piece of fabric that was torn off from my landing. I took it and, without looking, bound it around my right paw, which started to hurt again. The most important thing was that I didn’t lose too much blood, for I had no means of protecting myself against such a lethal means of death. Also keeping in mind that I was without food, I hastily snatched a few Oran berries from the cart (the ones unsquashed from my landing, mind you), and began to make a run for it.

I ran down the market square, such unfamiliar territory with lanterns lighting up by troubled and awakened people in their houses, spotting a wide alley, dashing into it, hoping it was safe for me to rest till dawn. I sat down in the empty, freezing, black corner (for all the alley had was dust and sand) and closed my eyes, hoping my paw, and the rest of my birthday, would be better when I woke up. Curling up, I slowly went to sleep, my desolate conscience taking a break.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The sunlight directly attacked my eyes, forcing my paws to go up, blocking in defense of my eyes. I stood up, yawning for more oxygen, quickly trying to sort out my environment. I was still standing in the corner of the alley, my fur filled with the dust it picked up, my ears tuning to several voices and other sounds coming from the lively market outside, my eyes looking at the people, glancing at me as they walked by, scorning my existence, believing that I was most likely a mere gamin, without a home or companion… they were most likely right. My stomach growled, urging me to first deal with the hunger before anything else. I took the cloth off my right paw. The palm no longer had skin, but it was evident my body was a faster healer, for half of it was protected in scab whereas the other half remains a vulnerable light pink flesh.

I sighed; while I felt only minor pain – something I seem to have gotten used to already, the injury will indeed no doubt be a major pain to deal with when another trial calls… and I have no clue whether it’s going to be sooner or later. The cloth, originally a violet purple, now had blots of the dark red of my blood, streaking across the fabric here and there. I ran through the top my head with my left paw. I yelped in pain, for my paw struck coagulated blood and just tried to get it off… while it was stubbornly attached to my fur. I tried to determine how much of it was on my head, thankfully concluding that only the very top (in roughly a circle, say… two inches in diameter, and don’t forget I’m an Eevee) had this mass of annoying ‘dried’ blood while mere drops dotted the rest of my head. I irritably scratched out these small brown flakes, cursing all the time how bad my fortune became. Then I stopped.

The darkness gripped me again; I suddenly became scared and alone for myself, unsure of my fate, just wishing – over – and over – and over again – that Roy would have just left with me earlier. He wouldn’t have been dead and I wouldn’t have been alone if he just left with me... even an hour earlier. What was going to become of me? Left in a strange world with nothing to help me?

“Snap out of it, Reagald,” I suddenly (and rather bitterly) remarked to myself, “if you never even try to move on, then you should deserve to get the punishment you meant. After all…” I cracked a twisted smile, a false gesture with not an indication of amusement. “You wanted to be out here… and here you are…”

I sighed, and looked at the Oran berries I took, the three small, round fruits in my left paw. I munched on the first one, and nearly spat it back out; rough sand on the skin of the Oran berries got stuck in my teeth, providing some horribly salty flavoring to the berry. The Oran berry itself was rough and dry, obviously due to the sun’s heat after being left out in the carts for Arceus knows how long. Despite such inedible food, I chewed through and swallowed, repeating the process until all three berries were in my stomach.

I sat, realizing that a plan was needed… there was no way I could get anywhere decent unless I knew what I needed to do. Taking about ten minutes to contemplate the situation and options, I, after sorting out my priorities, decided that the best start would be to obtain sorcerer spells, most likely through purchase with gold coins, something I didn’t have… something I needed to steal. However, such an action was easier to write down than to execute; Roy had told me that petty theft – especially those by the desperate – was common in the outside world.

What does that mean? It means that I have to commit theft of people that not only expect it, but are without a doubt prepared for it. Ah, such a wonderful challenge presented to me on my miserable birthday!

Dear reader, I officiously hate the number seven… and birthdays.

I sighed again for at least… what… the sixth time (I didn’t completely recall all events, so just counting the ones I had written about were enough)? Committing a theft was something I have never done before seriously, meaning that I’d be at a disadvantage. I resolved not to make the attempt sneaky; stealth was not my forte. No, I’d have to use a combination of speed and my short stature. The tactic was incredibly simple, for a more complex plan wasn’t necessary. The aim is for the legs, knocking any unsuspecting person down, followed by a quick snatch at their valuables. At the best case scenario, I could succeed without fail or setback. Obviously, since this is never the case, I have to hope whatever goes wrong, I would somehow pull through.

I relaxed my breathing and walked out into the crowd. Pokémon of all kinds (though, as you might expect, very few are of water types in this blazing sun) attempted to walk around with about five others within a foot of them. The talking… Arceus, no one here shuts up! I tried plugging my ears with my paws and the sounds of conversations all around easily penetrated through. While it’s annoying, it does play an advantage; knocking over someone will generate chaos in this dense pack, letting me get away more easily.

I spotted a good target; a Gardevoir looking the other way, her purse loosely gripped. Just a good knock would send that off her hands. I sprang, using the back paws to propel myself further than most Eevees were able to my age. The mere two feet between me and my target was instantly covered, my head slamming into the lower half of her skirt. She yelled and nearly fell on me, had I not reflexively dashed out from under her. Her back struck the sandy ground and the purse catapulted from her left hand. I turned around and leaped into the air, my mouth biting and then firmly holding onto the strap of the purse, my eyes looking for a quick spot to land on.

I settled for an unsuspecting Snorlax at one of the stalls. I landed on his head, jumped once again off him, landed on some wooden porch of a building, and ran in that building, pushing open those strange, wooden, doorknob-less, not-even-completely-covering-the-space-like-a-door-should, doors, satisfied I got away from the real danger. I quickly wore the purse and checked the contents: some makeup, a few fruits, and a decent amount of gold coins. Then I looked around where I was.

The atmosphere… strangely much calmer than that of outside. I say “strangely,” for I – judging on Roy’s description – stood at the doorway of a tavern. The area was spacey, and all of the furniture was crafted woodwork: a few square tables – each with a chair per edge – was accompanied with the bar table, stretching out through the entire right wall. Including the bartender, seven people were in sight, three sitting at one of the tables, a male Blaziken, Sandslash, and a female Flygon. I listened in on their conversation, walking over to them casually. The accent was heavy:

“Ya, an’ now that Li’bren is goin’ to fa’ a’part, it’s best if we head off.” said the Blaziken. I walked up.

“Excuse me, but what do you mean when you say ‘that Libren is going to fall apart?’” I questioned. All three tilted their heads down to look at me. The Blaziken replied:

“Who woul’ you be?”

“Answer my question first before I answer yours.” I snapped, returning to my usual nature.

“Aye, she’s a snappy one der.” chuckled the Sandslash, his large, sheathed broadsword clanking against the chair.

“Aye. See, I’m sure you ‘ave ‘eard about the assassination of the nobles in Li’bren, no?” I nodded to the Blaziken’s question. “Then since there’s no one that’s goin’ to watch over the city, then Li’bren is goin’ to fa’ a’part. You get me?” I nodded once more and he set a grin on his face. “Now, answer my question.”

“Reagald-“ I scanned my head for a list of lies to pull out, figuring which one was easy to maintain. “I ran from my home, though I’m a sorcerer from being an assistant to the Librarian of the palace.”

“You don’t seem to have any spells. No cloak too.” Said the Blaziken.

“I had to leave it all behind. I can buy them though.” I replied, telling a rather honest excuse.

“You’re implying to join us?” spoke the Flygon, her tone soft and clear. I noticed something sharp pointing out from her back, though I couldn’t tell what it was. Startled, I wondered what to say.

“If I answer ‘yes,’ would you let me?”

“Aye!” The Blaziken slammed his fist onto the table, causing everything on it to shake. “Arceus, a Kahan group is lucky to ‘ave a sorcerer around! What spells are you experienced in?”

“Huh- oh, mainly combat. I’m know little of defensive or healing magic.” I replied.

“Good enough!” He took out his large hand in front of me. “M’ name’s Rayn. The Sandslash’s Quar, and the Flygon’s Sandra.” I slightly hesitated but had my paw shake the hand. “Shall we get this little miss some spells before we head off?” He asked his other companions.

“Aye.” They both answered. All three got up.

As I write this right now, dear reader, I wondered how I got myself into this so quickly. It all came so quickly. One moment, I was running for my life, and the next, I turned into an adventurer…

Hold tight, it’s goin’ to be a rough ride as the rest of this tale unfolds.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Two up!)

Oooooh. The plot is starting to get interesting. Zyflair,you have given me inspiration. I am going to finish writing my story now.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Two up!)

Glad to see some inspiration passed around.

Thanks for reading!

Wow...
I never expected the chapter to end like that! Very good job, Zyflair!

This story is very nice, plus the fact that it is very creative, please move on with your story:)

Thank you very much you two! You just made my day. ^_^

No problem, I would very much like to hear more of your story.

Wonderful Zyflair! Wonderful! Everything is explained in stunning detail! I am looking forward to chapter 3.

Thank you. Expect it to come up sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

I would offer some comments, but If I knew what to say here, I wouldnt need critisism on mine. lol

I like your writing. Nuf said. Not much to change here. I dont see any obvious errors.

Excited for chapter 3.

Excited, are you? Here's a quick preview then!

Note: It's pulled out from the middle.

Folded black cloth pilled in the back corner, the top one gathering dust, protecting the ones below from most of the nasty buildup. My mouth twitched in annoyance, my paw a-tapping on the ground impatiently, my tail swishing in scorn, my mind knowing that out of so many robes stacked in no organization whatsoever, I have to find the right size. So began the search, pulling each one out and winnowing out the ones that were obviously too large. After filing through the mess of black fabric, I had about six sizable cloaks, but all six only had two major gaps for the arms; each cloak blatantly covered my ears, which forced my ears to fold down, making it not only hard to hear, but discomforting.

This would not do... I complained to myself. I took one of the cloak and walked over to the counter.

“I need holes for the ears.” I said. The storekeeper looked under the counter and pulled out a large pair of scissors, both of his wings holding it steady.

“The cloak.” I handed it to him, and he started slicing away at the textile, his eyes glance up at me, noting the size of them, and no doubt account the later size as I grow. He hands it back to me, saying “Two hundred.” Instantly, I opened my purse and pulled out the necessary amount. After the purchase, I took back the spells, and placed the all within the hidden pocket in the cloak, a known location only to either a sorcerer or a person that went to check for one on a cloak (duh).

“Let’s hightail it from here.” I remarked, grinning with the fact that I was now officially armed.

She replied with another nod and we went out, but it suddenly occurred to me:

“Sandra, where are we meeting? Ryan didn’t tell-“

“You weren’t with us earlier, so I’m not surprised you asked. We rented a room at an inn, so we should-” she stopped as I gasped sharply.

“Quick,” I said, “let’s go the other way.”

“What?” I just took her hand and turned to go around, for if I had taken just five more steps, that same Gardevoir (whose purse I stole!) would be in front of me. Of course, Sandra has no idea what I was doing, but she decided it was wiser to simply follow.

So we quickly head the other direction. So hasty was my rush to get away from the possible wrath of a lady Gardevoir (if you’ve never seen the wrath of a Psychic Pokémon, consider yourself lucky. One of the nobles around the palace had intimidated many others with his display of… I’d rather not describe), that I ran into another passerby. The air jumped out of my lungs, as an “Oof!” escaped from my mouth.

“I’m sorry, sir. I-“ I opened my eyes and looked up, to see a cloaked being in front of me – no, three of them. The one in front held a dagger in his right Ninetale’s paw, blood dripping from the point of the blade, gleaming in the sun. My eyes widened in horror.

They were the same three assassins… the same three that killed Roy…

And I’m no doubt the next person on their list.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Preview for Chapt

WOW! I can't wait to read chapter 3 now!

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Preview for Chapter 3 up!)

Can't wait? You better wait! Genius here plans to release it on the 30th! >_<

But thanks for the comment!

Back