Writing The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Nine up!)

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Preview for Chapter 3 up!)

Genius there writes slow. :p

Nah, its all good. I cant wait still, but....

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Preview for Chapter 3 up!)

I apologize about the following chapter; I had expect to stick in a fighting scene (admit it, you people want one) but Reagald has yet to show off her skills. Also, I ran off (actually, REAGALD ran off) with the description around the city, so this chapter is longer than the other two. I guarentee you guys: Chapter four is going to have quite a bit of butt-kicing. ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Three
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Writing… what has its purpose been throughout its existence? Is it just a recollection of one’s events… one’s thoughts, or does it serve a deeper purpose? Dear reader, I know not of your view on this, but I have yet to find mine. Perhaps when I write even more, I’ll be able to see for myself… what writing is and why we are drawn to it.

Walking out of the tavern, we received simple directions from Rayn (obviously the leader, though I have yet to see anything special about him. And what’s with the name? It sounds like “rain”): Sandra was to accompany me to one of the sorcerer stores while Rayn and Quar finish getting supplies for travel. We all nodded and made our way.

Sandra’s appearance and disposition… to put it bluntly, it intimidated me. Now with a better view of her, I noticed see wasn’t an adult, roughly about sixteen by looks. Her eyes burned with silent passion, a hidden potential that might explode when needed. And remember that weapon I mentioned early? A sharp and long spear it was, more than twice my length, shining in the scorching daylight, keeping everyone around her (including me!) around his or her toes. She glanced at everyone single person that probably even THOUGHT about looking at her. Her posture was straight, never even slouching the slightest bit, making her appear much taller than she really was in a crowd of people with lazy backs.

“Focus your attention on more than a single person. You can get yourself killed in this environment… each piece of observation could mean the difference between life and death.” she suddenly said to me. I slightly jumped, my ears fully up, my heart skipping a beat.

“Uh, understood… sorry, ma’am.” I quickly replied.

“Ma’am?” she turned to look at me. I didn’t understand the suspecting look until I noticed the slip as well. “Exactly where did you come from, Reagald?” she asked, “Few youngins speak like that… except for the more… refined ones…” I twiddled my paws.

“… you probably won’t believe me… if I told you the truth.”

“Oh, I will. I’m rather decent at seeing facades. Let’s start with your injury.”

“…” I bit my tongue, unsure of how to deal with this situation. Revealing my identity could be a fatal mistake; it was assumed that the assassination was a success, meaning that I’m supposedly dead. If news that a Libren noble was still alive… chances are, they’d hunt that noble down. But if I don’t say anything… I might lose the opportunity of gaining Sandra’s trust. I compromised: “I’ll tell, but not now in front of so many.” She nodded, believing me, almost even understanding me.

We arrived at our destination, Sandra opening the door for me to go in. I stepped in, looking around. Shelves of spelltags, scrolls, and other misc items (such as gems, which can be charged with power) lined in organized stacks. The store’s lighting only consisted of small candles lit in locked glass cases (to prevent some vandalistic maniac from grabbing the candles easily and burning the store. Being the shopkeeper of spells must be as stressful as selling bombs). A Staraptor stood attentively at the counter, his body erect, as if something dangerous is going to fly at him. Sandra came in after me.

“Are you going to simply stand there?” she asked. I shook my head quickly and browsed the aisles. None of the spells were high level, which concerned me. I even felt like asking to go another store and see if they had a better selection, but I knew that:
1 – That most likely wasn’t the case and these spells are what I’ll have to live with.
2 – Asking is disrespectful to the storekeeper, and I had a feeling the Staraptor is holding spells himself, whereas I had none. The end result: getting kicked out painfully.
3 – I wanted to just get the spells and have this over with. The less time I spend out in public, the better. Who knows if those three assassins are still prowling around?

After about seventeen minutes of selecting my spells, I had a good stack of about forty spelltags on the counter. The Staraptor frowned slightly at me.

“Not going to get a robe?” He asked, immediately causing me to mentally groan at my forgetfulness; every sorcerer needed a robe to hold the spells, since carrying them all was too much of a hassle.

“Do you mind if I buy the spells first and then look at the robes?” I quickly made up.

The Staraptor nodded, took them, and shifted the stack of spells one tag by one from his left wing to his right, no doubt quickly adding costs for the total price. He places them all back on the counter.

“Nine hundred fifty.” he said. I opened the stolen purse, and pulled out small cylinders, each containing a hundred gold coins. I got out nine, and quickly set down fifty with my paws. He counts them and gives me the spells afterwards, mentally removing the secretive security measures on them (or he could be faking it, but no one would want to test it). I received the spells and nodded at Sandra, giving her the spells to hold while I go select a robe.

Folded black cloth pilled in the back corner, the top one gathering dust, protecting the ones below from most of the nasty buildup. My mouth twitched in annoyance, my paw a-tapping on the ground impatiently, my tail swishing in scorn, my mind knowing that out of so many robes stacked in no organization whatsoever, I have to find the right size. So began the search, pulling each one out and winnowing out the ones that were obviously too large. After filing through the mess of black fabric, I had about six sizable cloaks, but all six only had two major gaps for the arms; each cloak blatantly covered my ears, which forced my ears to fold down, making it not only hard to hear, but discomforting.

This would not do... I complained to myself. I took one of the cloak and walked over to the counter.

“I need holes for the ears.” I said. The storekeeper looked under the counter and pulled out a large pair of scissors, both of his wings holding it steady.

“The cloak.” I handed it to him, and he started slicing away at the textile, his eyes glance up at me, noting the size of them, and no doubt account the later size as I grow. He hands it back to me, saying “Two hundred.” Instantly, I opened my purse and pulled out the necessary amount. After the purchase, I took back the spells, and placed them all within the hidden pocket in the cloak, a known location only to either a sorcerer or a person that went to check for one on a cloak (duh).

“Let’s hightail it from here.” I remarked, grinning with the fact that I was now officially armed.

She replied with another nod and we went out, but it suddenly occurred to me:

“Sandra, where are we meeting? Rayn didn’t tell-“

“You weren’t with us earlier, so I’m not surprised you asked. We rented a room at an inn, so we should-” she stopped as I gasped sharply.

“Quick,” I said, “let’s go the other way.”

“What?” I just took her hand and turned to go around, for if I had taken just five more steps, that same Gardevoir (whose purse I stole!) would be in front of me. Of course, Sandra has no idea what I was doing, but she decided it was wiser to simply follow.

So we quickly head the other direction. So hasty was my rush to get away from the possible wrath of a lady Gardevoir (if you’ve never seen the wrath of a Psychic Pokémon, consider yourself lucky. One of the nobles around the palace had intimidated many others with his display of… I’d rather not describe), that I ran into another passerby. The air jumped out of my lungs, as an “Oof!” escaped from my mouth.

“I’m sorry, sir. I-“ I opened my eyes and looked up, to see a cloaked being in front of me – no, three of them. The one in front held a dagger in his right Ninetale’s paw, blood dripping from the point of the blade, gleaming in the sun. My eyes widened in horror.

They were the same three assassins… the same three that killed Roy…

And I’m no doubt the next person on their list.

Faster than I could react, the blade went straight up at me, intending to deal me in with a single jab. It would have done the trick too had Sandra not interfered. Clang! I backed up, as the dagger and the tip of Sandra’s spear suddenly appeared before my eyes. A spark flew from the impact of the two weapons of metal. The crowded dispersed from us, fearful of getting stabbed or injured (or killed) in some other way. The other two cloaked assassins also backed off, acknowledging that I wasn’t alone. Sandra suddenly flicked the spear, removing the lead assassin’s grip on the bloody dagger, the flying projectile ripping through the fabric of the roof of a booth and halted by the brick wall, the tip embedded into the wall as if someone tossed it like a dart. The front assassin now backed up as well, causing Sandra to advance, the spear pointed at the cloaked Ninetale’s throat, only a mere thrust away from causing death.

“If you were wise,” said Sandra, her tone sending chills up my spine, “you would disappear before I seriously deal with you despicable things.” All three turned around and ran for their lives (literally), pushing any person blocking their way aside. In no less then fifteen seconds, I could no longer see them. Sandra flips the spear around and re-inserts it into the strap on her back.

“H- how…” I started, not even aware of what I wanted to say. I couldn’t follow (much less remember!) what had just happened. I could’ve sworn that Sandra was a good couple of yards behind me, and yet, she took her spear out, closed that distance gap, and blocked the dagger thrust in no more than a second. Sandra noted my incredulous expression and chuckled.

“Shocked? That’s how things are around here. Don’t you remember what I said? ‘Each piece of observation could mean the difference between life and death,’ and I always keep a tab on every person around. You were blindly running straight into unknown territory, Reagald, and the next time, I might not be around to let you recover from that mistake.” I lowered my head, my ears drooping in shame. Sandra was attentive and saw the danger earlier than I did, and thus was able to react to the situation more easily. I cursed at the revelation: I was a noble, unsuited for this harsh environment, where simple selective attention wasn’t enough for survival… what was the use of being able to use spells if I can’t be able to defend myself from an incoming dagger?

But it occurred to me that while Sandra was superb in combat, she didn’t have the eyes of a combatant; they were alert, yet thoughtful. A philosopher’s posture in the body of a warrior. Someone that believes in something more than killing, yet kills out of necessity.

“You’re doing it again.” I snapped back to reality and looked around in the crowd, following Sandra, noting the various goods sold, noting the diverse people walking by, noting… and taking in as much as I could. Sandra smiled at my attempt to follow her advice. I eventually closed my eyes and shook my head; it was impossible (and painfully dizzying) to split my focus into everything around me.

“No one gets it on the first – nor the twentieth – try.” said Sandra, glaring at some staring merchants, who immediately turned around and (nervously) pretended they never saw her. I sighed, wondering how far behind this game I was. I thought having spells were enough, but I was almost killed, regardless of the spells on me.

A good ten minutes later, the inn that Sandra mentioned was in sight. Walking along the market path, I was about to approach the building with Sandra when something caught my eye: A beautifully constructed store, the roof layered with brass shingles, the walls carved with elegant symbols, an ancient language that went around the sides, the windows spotless, clearly displaying the showcase, various merchandise neatly placed on antique furniture, a blank diary standing a bit left of the center, its cover made of Nidoking scales, its center a gold plate, waiting to be etched with its owner’s name.

Needless to say, I convinced Sandra to check it out for a brief moment.

My ears picked up the ringing tone of the chimes as I opened the door (with my left paw. My right was still recovering), Sandra following behind. Aromatherapic candles provided little lighting in the bright room, sunlight flooding in through the clear glass. They, instead, served the other part of their purpose, brining in a calm atmosphere through the olfactory senses. Shelves – Arceus, so many – lined across the room… a library of items to be sold, all lined up in their appropriate category, shelved in an orderly fashion. The color of the walls and furniture included only the light tan color of oak and a bit of redwood, catching the rays of light and almost illuminating the room themselves. Perfectly organized everything in here was.

“Hello. May I help you?” came the voice from the counter. Sandra and I turned to see an Altaria (a female one), warmly smiling at us. I shifted uncomfortably from the eager welcome, but quickly regained my composure.

“Actually, I’ve noticed one of your items on display. The diary.”

“Ah. You wish to have a closer look?” I nodded, and she walks out of the counter, holding a key, unlocking the display case and pulling out the diary. She handed it to me.

“A masterpiece this is. I hope you take care of it well. Few writers can have their work cherished in such a beautiful book.” I blinked, first from confusion, then from realization. I looked up from the book and at her.

“… what makes you think I’m going to buy the book without a doubt?”

“Your eyes show it; you have a passion to write, even if you have not yet seen it.” Sandra turned to look outside.

“I’ll be back in a minute. Or two.” were the short remarks from her as she suddenly left the store, the door swinging open from the harsh push. I looked out, wondering why the abrupt need to leave. The searching didn’t take long; the crowd was huddled, their attention focused on something beyond my sight, for the wall of bodies were so compactly tight and thick, Sandra had to physically pull out each person one by one before she was gone within. I refocused back on the book, then the Altaria.

“How much?”

“Original price is a whooping three thousand and five hundred gold coins, but I’ll hand it to you for half.”

A thousand seven hundred and fifty. Do I even have that much? A quick inspection revealed that I didn’t even have a thousand. The Altaria noticed as well.

“Tell you what. I’ll hand the book over for free.” She paused, giving me time to stare at her in complete shock. She continued soon after: “If you promise to fill the book with your own words. Do not sell it to anyone else. Do not lose it, and certainly do not let it be extensively damaged.”

Needless to say, I was speechless; the Altaria was making no sense; a book worth such a fortune... for free if I just write in it? Logic provided no reason and only suspicion. I questioned her and she merely asked back if I would uphold the promise. Such a bargain would be stupid to refuse, but it didn’t make sense to me. It still doesn’t as I’m writing this here. I did, however, empty the purse (I even HANDED the purse over to make up for it) in purchasing the ink and the quill, a small Lugia feather, old and rattled from the harsh years.

Fitting bought items in my cloak (Arceus, who knew such small pockets could be crammed with so much?), I opened the door, only to be snatched by Sandra and tossed into an alley. I fell on my back onto the sand, quickly getting back up, hurt and confused. She held her spear at my throat, my body frozen, I gulping, wondering what I had done.

“You’re a Libren noble, aren’t you?” My eyes widened at the sudden question, them alone answering Sandra’s inquiry. She frowned. “You’re on the wanted list: twenty thousand gold coins as the reward.” I trembled a bit, now in complete fear.

“Y-You’re… are… are you going… to turn me in?” I asked, my voice trembling. She shook her head.

“I’m not the kind of person to give away a life just for mere gold. But tell me: is that where you got your injury from, a wound from the assassins?” I shook my head at this. “During your escape then?” A nod. “They saw you escape?” Another nod. “The three… the ones I sent off running. Are those involved in the assassination?” Nod. “You had saw them before?” Once more, a nod. “… you outran them?” I gulped.

“A… a servant of mine distracted them. I got the time needed… to get…” I started to tear up, no longer able to suppress the memories. She pulled the spear away and knelt down, at my eye level.

“Do you know about the conspiracy?” I shook my head, a tear fleeting to the ground. She sighs and hands out a handkerchief (which I eagerly took to dried out my eyes). “You’re too young for this, Reagald… and a noble as well. That explains everything now. Do you know that they thought everyone in the palace was killed?”

They what? Everyone? That wasn’t an assassination then. That was genocide. Massacre. Cold-blooded slaughter. I tried to get myself together.

“The conspiracy… what was it for?” Sandra turned her head away.

“Politics. Wealth and power. That’s always why such things happen.” Sandra grunted out of disgust, “I’m surprised though; you’re nothing like-“

“I may be a noble in status,” I immediately retorted, “But I’m not one in spirit.” I closed my eyes, thinking how things would have been differently if Roy would just… dammit, why wouldn’t he listen to me? Why did he have to die? Why on my birthday?

“… Libren is going to fall apart. First the libraries, then the entire city will be invaded by Tokar.”

Tokar? The name rang a familiar tone. Wait:

It was five days ago. Leaning against the wall, I groaned in impatience. That Rhydon always takes his time.

“Never!”

My right ear went up. I edged a bit more to the side, curious on what the sudden cry in the council was about. Usually business there was pedestrian and bland, nothing that would usually bring such a passionate response as that. So eavesdropped I did (it wasn’t hard as I could already pick up most of the sound. I just rarely paid attention).

“The commerce would be in ruins if we accepted such terms!”
“Do they expect us to hand over our fortunes to them?!”
“It is ours by right! How could they mark such a claim?!”

The uproar was outstanding; order was established a full ten minutes later.

“I take it we are unanimous with the decision of rejecting Tokar’s… rather demanding request?”
“Aye!” Went the whole council. I walked off, disappointed in the anti-climatic ending.

“Wha…” My mouth hung open. “Tokar ordered the assassination… didn’t they?” Sandra blinked, surprised at my “guess.”

“They did.” I lowered my right ear with the paw, slightly flinching at the pain. Sandra stared, confused at this odd quirk. Conversations. Since the last week. There were tensions. Many tensions. It was trade. Libren didn’t have a military and depended on its economic superiority. Tokar no doubt challenged and went for control of the markets somehow. Rejection. They’re going to take what they want by force. I took my right paw off and looked at Sandra.

“Isn’t Tokar going to face resistance from other states?”

“They will, but I have no doubt bribes will keep the protesters quiet.”

“Even if they’re going to control the wealth? Such short-term compensation couldn’t possibly match such a long-term advantage.” Sandra narrowed her eyes at my thinking.

“First I thought you had little clue about this and now you’re suddenly getting your footing?”

“I pick up many things around the palace, just not the specifics.” I replied. Then I thought again. “How far is Tokar from here?” Sandra snorted.

“Libren is almost isolated itself. The mountains around keep it from being ambushed, and the distance to even the closest state is at least a two days journey by walking. You’re not planning on going there, are you?”

“Where are you planning on going?” I retorted. She looked off.

“… the Outpost. I had enough of Kahan. The people are falling under corruption. The nobility is become too gre-“

“Whoa. Hold a moment. You’re going out of Kahan?”

“I had the desire, yes.”

“What’s out of Kahan?” I asked, completely unaware that lands existed beyond this place. Arceus, I was a noble lad, never stepping out to see the city I live in, and Kahan’s not even the entire land? How much have I not been through? What have I been missing my entire life?

Why in Arceus’s sake was Roy trying to keep me from coming out here? Just why? Is it only because I’m not accustomed to it? I couldn’t understand.

Sandra smiled.

“Considering how cooped up you were in the palace, I can only assume you’ve never heard of such places. Kahan is merely a region of the entire world. Libren has never been interested in areas out of Kahan, thus why you most likely never heard of them. I could easily name off the top of my a few places bordering Kahan.”

“Please do.”

“Salemn, Kyodan, The Lugian Sea, Rogu, The Orange Islands, and Kanto’s a bit off.”

“…” I had nothing to say; if I had been ignorant in a simple matter, who knew how much I was clueless on? Knowledge seems too vast now – no – even unnecessary. If it can’t be applied to one’s life, then there is no other use for it. Nevertheless, I managed a nod.

“I… would like to explore such areas.” was the only (rational) thing I could think of saying. She chuckled.

“Then we might be able to go together. Come. I have no doubt Rayn and Quar are waiting now.” I nodded and was about to go when Sandra raised her hand to stop me. “Oh, and act casual; people don’t tend to notice others if they blend back into the background. You’ll be seen but no one will think twice about you if you act naturally.” I frowned, now remembering I’m wanted. The term was known to me already; the council of Libren themselves marked wanted people for rewards.

“Understood.” I said. Sandra nodded and we walked out together. I made sure to simply keep my mind limited, only focused on reaching the inn. Sandra made sure to cover me from the view of as many people as she possibly could without looking suspicious. But it couldn’t last forever and we both knew it; at one point, someone is going to recognize me in this cloak and I’ll have to make a run for it. I wasn’t safe, nor could I ever be safe until I was either taken off the list… or if I leave Kahan.

The inn door creaked as Sandra turned the doorknob and pulled. The lighting in the lobby was damp; though not as dark as the Staraptor’s store, the blinds kept most of the sunlight out. Few people sat at the benches within the wooden motel, motionless, sitting with what appears to be a lack of purpose. The innkeeper was sitting at the counter, a Sandslash writing down in (what seems to be) a small notebook for accounting, scribbling away numbers, not pausing, not even when I approached the counter for a better view, not even when Sandra order for me to go up the stairs with her, not even when I peeped around the corner to get one last sight at him.

The room was on the third floor, straight down the tiny hallway in this rather small building. Sandra knocked on the door in a rhythmic fashion and Rayn opened it merely two seconds later.

“M’ Arceus! What took ha’f the day to dress up the littl’ Eevee?” He asked, rather mockingly, void of being seriousness or strictness. Sandra wryly smiled.

“Obviously, something bad (and you always know what I mean when I say that). Step aside, I’ll tell once we get in.” Rayn nodded and gets out of the way. I blinked and peered around, entering the room.

“Room” wasn’t exactly what I’d call it; there was a lack of beds, only an empty corner providing enough sleeping space (either that or the table – which I was forced to, since I wasn’t paying for the rent). All the wood were encased in a thin layer of dust (Arceus knows how long they’ve been denied any form of cleaning), even a few cobwebs underneath them, an oil lamp on the only table around (this I later discovered had a crack on the bottom, making it unusable for its original purpose. Worse, I would realize that I had to sleep on the slick piece of wood… UGH). The only window was left open, rust completely dominating of the hidden layer of actual metal. I walked over to it, looking out while Sandra discussed about the recent events with Quar and Rayn. The crowd below appeared much smaller, insignificant miniature people slowly crawling through the dirt. I sighed and took out the diary, opening it, looking at the blank page. I had time. The quill, pulled from the pockets of the cloak, wetted with ink, scribbled today’s date on the top right-hand corner of the page.

Then it paused, for its master hesitated, unable to follow through, unable to think of what to start with. But then, with renown inspiration from an old memory, it began: And it sat, placing the cliché phrase “like a sitting Psyduck” to mind…

Sandra placed her hand on my shoulder during my concentration, evoking a gasp from me in surprise.

“You must care a lot.” was what she simply said, and I realized that, in the midst of my writing, I drew a tear from the corner of my eye, still not fully recovered from… you already know. I nodded at her and closed the book. She looks out.

“Rayn and Quar agreed to keep you safe, as long as you help along with us as well. The journey is never safe. Kahan never was safe… too many states, too many princes, all competing for power.” She pounds the bottom edge of the window, cracking it, a pause in her speech for the emphasis of her concluding statement: “I can’t wait to get away from here.”

“Hey Sandra, Reagald, you going to eat or not?” asked Quar, unpacking a box. Rayn was standing besides the Sandslash, holding a large piece of cloth in his hand. Both of us walked over to see the container’s contents (I needed to stand on a chair): delicate pastries with (oh Arceus, I’m just getting hungry just by writing this down! Mm!) Sitrus berry filling, and coated with a sugary frosting (and glazed!).

It just took all of my willpower not to grab one of them in that instant (actually, I’m not even sure how I managed to not pounce for them); the scent enticed me, drew me to utter salivation.

And I was served last. I couldn't blame them, for I was new, but still, I was starving. The savory taste sent me into blissful mood...

I'm sorry. I just can't write it down. Every time I tried, my stomach growled and I JUST couldn't bring myself to describe it all; I'm torturing myself just by thinking about it. I'm going to have to move on (Arceus, I'm hungry).

The meal was done and we rested, for to walk in the darker hours doesn't dehydrate the body as it does in the afternoon in the desert (stupid table! I'm never going to get all of that oily dust out of my fur!). And we checked out of the inn, ready to take on the Kahan night. The sun was setting, the very thin clouds appearing as the water cools, the crowd thinning out, the sky darkening, and the moon rising, we (after paying the unusual toll to the soldiers at the gates of Libren. No wonder the rich stay rich.) made our way out to the vast expanse of sand.

Arceus, I've never seen so much of it. Every direction away from Libren looked no different from the other. How is navigation even possible? Rayn opened the map and looked.

“No second thoughts?” He asked Sandra and Quar.

“None.”

“Nay.”

He nodded and closes the map and he started walking, us three following shortly after. I looked around again, taking it all in…

“Reagald!”

I turned my head to Sandra – who called out my name, only to get tackled down by her. A half second later, when I was flying down onto the ground with her, a large explosion spontaneously occurred at the location where I was once standing, obstructing my sight.

All I could see was the risen sand and smoke, blinding my eyes.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Preview for Chapt

Great chapter. Yes, I admit. I want to see an eevee kick butt. I did find some mistakes. The corrections are in bold.

(obviously the leader, though I have yet to see anything special about him. And what’s with the name? It sounds like “rain”)

placed them all within the hidden pocket in the cloak, a known location only to either a sorcerer or a person that went to check for one on a cloak (duh).

Fitting bought items in my cloak (Arceus, who knew such small pockets could be crammed with so much?), I opened the door, only to be snatched by Sandra and tossed into an alley.

Sandra grunted out of disgust, “I’m surprised though; you’re nothing like-“

Then I thought again.

Sandra made sure to cover me from the view of as many people as she possibly could without looking suspicious. But it couldn’t last forever and we both knew it; at one point, someone is going to recognize me in this cloak and I’ll have to make a run for it.

The lighting in the lobby was damp; though not as dark as the Staraptor’s store,

The innkeeper was sitting at the counter, a Sandslash writing down in (what seems to be) a small notebook for accounting, scribbling away numbers, not pausing, not even when I approached the counter for a better view, not even when Sandra order for me to go up the stairs with her, not even when I peeked around the corner to get one last sight at him.

Thanks for spotting them; I'm in a rush and didn't proofread. ^_^

You are welcome.

Who on earth is WailmerMan and why did he vote this so low

...anyway, good work Zyflair. You made a heck of a lot of typos (I read it before Eevee pointed them out), be more careful in the future man. As for the story itself though, things are beggining to pick up nicely! I can't wait for your next installment.

/me shrugs.

A heck of a lot I did. I normally don't make that many mistakes, but that's under normal circumstances; I wasn't in the mood to proofread (as stated earlier) and I am... rather distracted lately. I'll be sure to look over Chapter Four myself to remove those pesky errors.

Ouch, I definitely left this alone. Sorry guys, but it's going to be quite awhile before Chapter Four is donw.

Chapter Four

Everything. Is everything planned? Am I just a character of a game? A game of life? Has my fate already been written out for me, the playwright dictating my actions? Have everything I’ve written down been already written elsewhere? If not, then I must be getting too paranoid, for I could just swear that this adventure… it just seems so romanticized… but then again, I feel… passionate in my writing, as Sandra had noted... Nah, I'm getting paranoid.

Thud. I felt the weight of the Flygon on me, slightly squishing me, but I’m not in the mood to complain. I was saved by her. Again.

Arceus, how much more could you humiliate me?

Quickly recovering, I crawled from under and stood up, my back paws supporting me in the soft terrain. Sandra got upright just as quickly, her footing firm on the grainy surface when the air cleared. Rayn and Quar were in my sight now, both facing the source of the ambush, the was-sheathed broadsword now catching the last crimson rays of the day’s sunlight at the Sandslash’s . I turned to see as well, and sure enough, the attacker was standing in view, an Ursaring holding a large Hyper Beam cannon (the cannon can be powered by several different means [not really important], but know it is a convenient storage of power similar to a Hyper Beam.) and smirking.

“Well, well… apparently, you saw me on a fluke.” he said (much to the annoyance of Sandra). “There’s no need to be sending yourselves all the way to Tokar to collect the bounty. I’ve got the money, so you can just hand her over.”

“Apparently,” retorted Sandra, taking the spear off her back, “You don’t know to keep your dirty paws from thinking about just the money. She’s not going to Tokar; she’s going with us to elsewhere. You can keep the bounty money to yourself and just say you killed her anyway if that’s what you really care about.” The Ursaring frowned at this.

“Oh? So you really except me to walk off and try to lie to the Tokar nobles when I can just get the little Eevee [I slightly growled at the derogatory adjective] by force?”

“Aye,” replied Rayn, “It’s four to one, so I suggest you rethink.”

The Ursaring gave out a loud, brutish laugh, his body shaking in mockery.

“Four to one, eh? Let’s rethink!”

Quar suddenly growled, and Sandra became unsettled. I didn’t understand their reactions until I saw Sandslashes appear out of the sand, one by one, all of them forming a tight circle around us.

We were surrounded by a bandit group, four to thirty-five.

“Hand over the Libren noble and I’ll be merciful,” offered the Ursaring bounty hunter. At the end of the sentence, Rayn replied by roaring, lunging at one of the bandits, grabbing one by the neck and flinging him at the Ursaring.

The following five seconds were chaotic to say at the least. The Ursaring ducked down, cursing, and started to aim his cannon. The other thirty-three bandits went for us, about half at Rayn, who was logically closest to them. His leg went up faster than the wind, almost creating a shockwave and sending several flying back by the force, the unlucky one that directly faced the attack was sent into the air as the highest, his neck broken and his life now limited to less than a minute. Quar was already running into Rayn’s direction for a back-to-back cover, slashing at a bandit that was too close. The struck Sandslash fell to the ground, the blood from the opened wound mixing with the sand below him, staining the earth. Sandra fired a Hyper Beam at one of the bandits for distraction and her spear dashed through the smoke, she immediately pulled it back, half of it encased in blood now.

I? I took out the first spelltag in my pocket and dodged a swipe from one of the bandits, remembering every combat skill I’ve acquired in my education. My paw went in front of me, the spelltag now shining, somehow realizing that it was to be used. A few of the bandits balked at the sight, but it was too late to run.

”Signs of the Wind: Reverted Slash!”

My cloak flapped harshly at the rushing gust, as the air compressed and violently accelerated forward, assaulting the first five Sandslash that went for me, pushing them back as if the wall was running into them, slicing them lightly in several places, one unluckily receiving a fatal gash across the chest. After the thud of the flown bodies, I noticed that the area around was too quiet; I didn’t bother to look around, for I knew what was happening, my grin smug, paw still in the same position, as if it was still holding the spelltag, which had almost burned up in my paw, the ashes and tiny embers floating off in the air. The flame generated no heat. Everyone was looking at me, my companions in sheer gratitude that I was the real thing, and my enemies in sheer doubt and fear, for their target was much more dangerous than expected.

The world froze for one and a half second and we all heard the click of a trigger pulled. My head turned and I leaped back to avoid the Ursaring’s Hyper Beam. Too late. A spear. Sandra swung it down behind her to deflect it safely away from me. Clang. The stream of energy bounced off and struck the sand, the explosion small, the grains of rock absorbing much of the blast’s energy, but the force drove Sandra to tilt, her balance in danger of being lost. An advantage. The nearest Sandslash to her lunged in, his extended claws glancing across her jaw, blood… I could smell the Flygon’s blood, my companions, and it drove me in to take revenge.

Not a game. No. This wasn’t a drill. This wasn’t practice. This is nothing I had ever been through. Nothing I ever felt.

This... was real.

Uttering a small battle cry, I pounced at the Sandslash attacking Sandra. The scene returned to chaos as battle noise filled my ears again. I could see not what Quar or Rayn were doing, nor did I care at the time. That bandit struck Sandra and he’ll pay. I rammed my head into his gut, twisting slightly like drill to focus the impact in, knocking the breath out of his lungs and sending both him and me crashing into the others. I was fully involved in the battle now, blocking, deflecting, ducking, jabbing, unable to use another spelltag (and I hope you didn’t forget about that injured paw of mine); they were all too close, and they weren’t hesitant on attacking a small Eevee like me. No, I wasn’t harmless, and they all knew it. Sandra was back in, just as focused, and easily handling both the surrounding bandits, and those near me as well. The spear flickered through one body, then out, then either striking another or blocking a blow at either of us. The battle seemed too well in our favor.

And it was, for I heard another blast from the Ursaring, the explosion sending smoke at me from behind. I turned around five seconds later, and saw Quar at the ground, his sword far away from him, the tip buried in the sand. The Sandslash had his left hand wrapped around his right shoulder, his mouth in a grimace of pain. Smoke was still emitting from that steel cannon, the holder wearing a smug grin, already beginning to aim as the bandit resume attacking, forcing me to turn around to face them rather than Rayn and Quar.

I saw the pattern, the strategy; the cannon fired every fifteen seconds (give or take a few seconds, for counting unconsciously and precisely during such fierce fighting was impossible), and each blast changed the tide slightly; it couldn’t be blocked in passing and to wholeheartedly dodge or deflect it meant temporarily leaving vulnerability to the bandit. Nine remained facing Sandra and I, but I couldn’t turn my attention to see how many were on the other side. The cycle needs to stop before Quar was the only seriously injured one, and five of those seconds were already up.

Ten seconds. I avoided another slashing blow from the bandit, and shoved my shoulder straight into his gut, pulling back to dodge the blow of another as the struck Sandslash retreat back, almost doubling over in pain, but he was able to recover as the other bandits covered him.

Eight seconds. Sandra’s spear pierced through the neck of the bandit in front of me and pulled out just as viciously. I glimpsed at her grim look with a frustrated empathy; there were still too many and time was running out.

Five seconds, I heard another Sandslash cry out in pain, but my hear stopped when I recognized the voice to be Quar. However, it resumed beating as I quickly faced off another bandit for the fifteenth time or so.

Two seconds. Desperate times called for desperate measures.

“Sandra! Cover me!” I cried, jumping back to get as much protection as I could from her. My paw was in my cloak, running through all the spelltags, my memory recalling the order I set each one in. Few of the bandits tried to dash around Sandra for me, but the spear always caught them in its blinding rage. Five remained against us, but I turned to see Rayn fighting alone against ten of them, Quar lying on the ground, unconscious, the skin on his shoulder burned off from the blast and a deep gash at the side. The tilt of his neck suggested that he was dealt a critical blow to the head, knocking him out after he was slashed.

One second, and I found that spelltag, and not a moment too soon; the Ursaring had his finger over the trigger and was about to give Rayn a nasty strike at his neck.

And I emphasize: ”was about to”

I hurled the spelltag as hard as my small paws possibly could, and it struck the Ursaring square in the jaw, exploding on contact and causing him to curse and almost lose his balance… that is, before he accidently pulled the trigger. The misfire sent the recoil to his disadvantage and our worst enemy fell to the ground, the cannon out of his grasp.

Arceus, I just love those Interference spelltags. No sorcerer would be as cheap in battle without them. Only issue is that they deal little harm, and I knew that Ursaring would be up within five seconds at the most. The question was whether to spend one more spelltag to guarantee a clear victory. Even with thirty-nine left, it might be a while before I could get enough coins along the way to purchase more.

I stopped debating and went back to resume fighting the bandits, hoping I bought us enough time to handle the rest of them. Sandra was more than capable from finishing the rest off, so I went after Rayn’s foes to aid the Blaziken. The corner of my eye caught Quar’s sword, but I redirected my attention to my destination; it would do me no good. After all, such a large broadsword is something my paws couldn’t wield. The bandits in combat with Rayn noticed me, fear in a few of their eyes. And I leaped, snapping my torso from a twisted angle into a straight one. The bandit in front of me didn’t have enough time to react, and my foot struck the side of his forehead. I flew back, converting the recoiling energy into a backflip, while the other stumbled backwards, only to receive a much more damaging kick from Rayn.

I could hear the cracking of the Sandslash’s bones as his shoulder joint dislocated from the pressure. Rayn had his other foot planted in the sand to reduce the rebound energy; he moved back no more than a centimeter. Then that foot disappeared, transferred into a blur as the formerly loose foot returned to the ground. Hard. His body swung in about a thirty degree rotation as he kicked again with the other foot, destroying the health off another unexpecting bandit. The poor fellows virtually had no chance, virtually still to Rayn, virtually targets to his monstrous power and speed.

Good Arceus, and I thought Sandra was dangerous enough, with that weapon that brought death in a blow; Rayn had his weapon with him at all times… all four of them!

The Ursaring was up again, not exactly as glad as he was a moment back. His paw grabbed the cannon and started to charge to us. I leaped to the side, evading the crushing blow of his cannon swinging down where I was. A large layer of sand immediately rose from the impact.

Looks like he had enough of firing from the backstage.

Rayn’s head turned around and noticed the Ursaring. He knocked another Sandslash with an uppercut before heading for the Ursaring. I looked ahead at the bandits and grinned; only four left? I could handle that. They were even disoriented with battling Rayn as well. I couldn’t blame them; the Blaziken probably could run circles around me.

Dashing forward again, I slid low and sprung up from my front paws, both of my feet made contact with the bottom of the Sandslash’s jaw, sending him into the air, as I was rebound back down. I controlled the landing into a somersault and struck down a paw to gain balance, ducking down to avoid a swipe, a few hairs of my fur sliced at the tip.

Being small had its advantages at least. The bandits were getting frustrated; slashes were fine for normal sized targets, but I was small and evasive, and an earthquake here was just a lot of effort to do minor damage in this padded area. I spun around from under, and one of them grabbed the end of my cloak. In response, I pulled it back with both paws in a manner as sudden as possible, pulling that bandit towards me. A rough jab at the nose liberated my clothing as I pulled back again from the other three. I grinned, but my breathing was heavy. The fast pace was burning up my energy, despite the lead I had. I crouched for another round, when a roar was heard and the Ursaring from before flew straight into the Sandslashes – knocking the whole group down onto the soft ground. Obviously, I could’ve only assumed Rayn tossed him over, and sure enough, he was dashing past me to finish the battle. He swooped low and grabbed the Ursaring by the neck, out of the mess of smushed Sandslashes, the Blaziken roaring once more, flinging the Ursaring into the air, leaping straight after and nailing a hard horizontal kick at the gut.

Have you ever heard a two-hundred-eighty-pound person fall sixty feet into the ground? It’s loud enough to make you flinch in pain yourself.

Rayn landed straight down, one foot straight down onto the Ursaring’s cannon, not only severely denting the mechanical weapon, but crashing the inner components as well, the steel machine even coughing out a small gear from the impact. After landing, he raised his foot on the cannon and sent it down again crushing upon the cannon a few more times to make junk out of it.

Sandra walked up to my side, supporting Quar, who was gripping the burnt shoulder, a large piece of cloth tied around his body and wound, mostly soaked in blood already. Rayn was back at the Ursaring, his hand at the neck until he pulled out a bag, in it were most likely plenty of notes to the treasury for twenty thousand gold coins, the bounty “on my head,” as one would put it. The Ursaring growled but dared not move, for Rayn had his foot at the chest and would no doubt send it slamming down, possibly puncturing the lung (which – needless to say – would result in inevitable death in such a nasty place out here), if the Ursaring did. The growl lowered slightly.

“Tokar won’t stop at any means to remove the bloodline of the Libren nobility. What does she have that would be worth protecting her?” he questioned. I looked behind to notice the remaining Sandslash were gone; their leader was finished and too few of them were left; they were mercenaries no doubt. Sandra grinned and whacked the side of the Ursaring’s head with the flat side of her spearhead without warning.

While I would love to write what she said, I have no clue if you could stand how unrefined the speech was. So I’ll leave it to your imagination while I will constantly laugh at that moment as I did then.

Quar offered a painful smile along with it while Rayn chuckled.

“What she said,” he replied, “now scram, and don’t let us see you eva’ again.”

The foot went off the chest and Rayn begun to walk off, and his group followed. As I turned to look behind, the Ursaring was still on the ground before he became too far away to be seen.

Quar had to play piggyback on Sandra (and before you even begin to wonder, I was never so childish for such things) as he couldn’t move as fast as the rest of us. The sun already fell into its slumber, the nightly sky clear with its astronomical wonders. My breath condensed into a warm fog with every moment it escaped my chest; I have heard how hot the desert was (it’s rather hot in the palace as well!), but no one have ever described the cold to me. All four paws were numb, which I supposed wasn’t bad as the lingering pain on my right paw gave way to the feeling.

Actually, I must admit that I couldn’t really feel much through the night in the cold atmosphere. Probably was for the best, as I realized how tired I really was, how dirty my fur coat had gotten in dust, dirt, oil, blood, sand… how sick of things I quickly became out here. Aching, torturous pain, physical, mental, and emotional; were it not for the empty desert, its apathetic icy tone, I would’ve whined. Roy was gone out of my mind, everything was gone, I was just someone with others walking in a large desert. No one cares what you felt – not deeply at least.

However, as monotone I noted the desert, it wasn’t perfectly barren either; I’ve seen some cactuses around here and there, though no Cacturnes strangely. The moon appeared almost full, mostly likely filled in the next two days, lighting up the land in front of us sufficiently, almost as much as the sun does in the dawn.

“Reagald.”

I fluttered my eyes open, muttering something incomprehensive even to myself. I blinked. Did something happen?

“You fell asleep for a few minutes.” replied Sandra. I frowned.

“I did?”

“Yes, sleepwalking. It’s a common thing that happens to new travelers. It’s convenient, but not safe, for obvious reasons.” I nodded, then yawned, then shivered at the large intake of the frosty air.

Then Rayn stopped, causing us to quickly follow the action. He looked down the sand dune we were on at a Flygon, carrying a heavy pack on his back.

“Merchant?” asked Quar weakly. Rayn nods. I noted that the Flygon seemed pretty defenseless, especially with the burden on his back. What exactly was stopping us from robbing him? Moral ideals? This was a cruel world from the short time I’ve experienced. I suppose I’ll have to ask later.

Both sides slowly approached one another until they met. The Flygon glanced at Quar.

“Medical herbs?” he asked answered by Rayn’s nod.

“What do you ‘ave?”

“I’ve got a Tkan Leaf.” I sensed a strange hesitation in both Rayn and Sandra. Whatever a Tkan Leaf was (as I have no herbal knowledge) it must have be powerful. And to further support the idea:

“How much?”

“Hm. Fifteen thousand.” I flinched at the thought. All but five thousand of the bounty money. Rayn frowned to this as well.

“Fourteen. I’m not affording any higher.”

“You would. The deserts have gotten more atrocious lately with Tokar getting ready to pave the way for invasion. I suggest you pay up for your fellow Sandslash.”

Rayn tried to push, but the Flygon refused to budge. Fifteen it was, and several of the notes were handed. The merchant opened one of the pockets of the pack and pulled out a small leaf. No wider than two inches and four inches in length, from tip to the cut end of the stem. He gave it to Rayn for the notes at the same time.

“Anything for the sorcerer?” I shook my head. He nods. and closed the pocket. Both of us resumed on our trip, him to Libren, and we to… actually, I had no clue, but I was in no mood to ask. Rayn handed Quar the leaf and the Sandslash set it in his mouth. I was in interest as he chewed it for ten seconds and swallowed.

“That’s heals?”

“It speeds up the recovery process incredibly.” explained Sandra, “A rare natural herb. It’s imported into Kahan, which makes it unbelievably pricy.”

“From where?” she shrugs.

“I don’t know. I just know it’s imported from outside traders.”

“Do they come often?” Sandra chuckled.

“You may be a sharp young’in, but you’re just as curios as the rest of them.” I looked down quickly, only to realize it was done bashfully. I was humbled in less than a day, from the cocky and arrogant self I was. You could’ve said I used had been a brat, and it was the case, as I was part of the proud nobility.

But proud as they were, what did they have to be truly proud of? Nothing. Nothing but the gold and possession they cherished. I felt miserable and sick, but I felt more proud than I ever had. Despite everything I’ve been through, I’ve never felt more alive.

They say adventure could take your life, but I say it can give life. Whatever it gives, bring it.

And a short preview:

Chapter Five

If you excepted me to write more philosophical junk, I’m not. Let’s move on, shall we?

We had traveled for a full day by now, eating when the sun started to rise, creating a shady wall of sand to sleep behind when it was high, one of us awake on the watch, moving on again when it descends for its own rest.

My stomach never felt emptier; being cut from four meals to one a day took a toll on my body. What did they call it… metabolism. It wrecked with my metabolism. I became irritated, in no mood to ask anything. I even forgot about the merchant question.

Sudden, when I took another step, I felt vibrations in the ground. Sandra became alert.

“Swarm?”

“Most likely.”

Swarm? What sw-

I stared as a huge swarm of Hippodowns came running our way.

They didn’t seem to be slowing down either.

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Four up!)

That was some awesome Eevee butt-Kickng, Zyflair! I loved Chapter 4! Keep writing, Reagald!

A swarm of Hippowdons? That has to be scary...

RE: The Accounts of One That Accounted for the Sake of Accounting. (Chapter Four up!)

Glad you like it, and I've only touched the tip of the sand dune with it. ;D

I'll work it more. I promise.

EDIT: And a large swarm no doubt. Hmm... how are we going to get out of this?

Awesome, I can't wait to see the rest of the sand dune XD

Just please tell me they aren't going to use a Signs of Lopunny to get out of it XD

I noticed a few spelling errors in that chapter also...

Then, by all means, let me know where they are.

but know it is a convenient storage of power similar to a Hyper Beam.
I think that should be "now" instead of "know".
The cycle needs to stop before Quar was the only serious injured one, and five of those seconds were already up.
"seriously injured", I believe.
The tilt of his neck suggest that he was dealt a critical blow to the head, knocking him out after he was slashed.
"The tilt of his neck suggested"
The corner of my eye caught Quar’s sword, but I redirected my attention to my destination; it would done me no good.
"it would do me no good."
spun around from under on of them, and one of them grabbed the end of my cloak.
"spun around from under one"

I think that's just about all of them...

Thanks. They're fixed now. :)

Another excellent update. There's not really much for me to offer in the way of constructive criticism, to be honest. :p

I appreciate the honesty/flattery. :p

Who knew Reagald and I have so much in common? Wonderful job, Zyflair. I really can't wait to read the next chapter.

Wow!O.O great piece! Definitely a favourite of mine! Keep it up! I'm hungry for more!

eevee said:
Who knew Reagald and I have so much in common? Wonderful job, Zyflair. I really can't wait to read the next chapter.
Oh? Anything you mind sharing? :D

ArceusShayminLovr said:
Wow!O.O great piece! Definitely a favourite of mine! Keep it up! I'm hungry for more!
Thank you, thank you. :)

Back