TCG Complaint Thread

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Oh, oh, oh, as I said in another thread, I have a hard time believing TPCi can create a full Pokemon TCG set from scratch, that is, from a blank sheet, no templates, no reprints, no importing from japanese sets. Just like how WOTC makes their MTG sets, or how Cryptozoic makes their WoW TCG sets, and just like how the Japanese people who make the Pokemon TCG makes Pokemon TCG sets.

I'm glad that the Japanese people control the destiny of the Pokemon TCG, because the game would be ruined forever if TPCi made the sets. Heck, there wouldn't be a game in the trading card game.

Here's a future complaint in a certain scenario. Imagine that they made a brand new type. I would complain so hard, because making a brand new type is designing the game while throwing the "Game" in Trading card game out the window.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
signofzeta said:
Oh, oh, oh, as I said in another thread, I have a hard time believing TPCi can create a full Pokemon TCG set from scratch, that is, from a blank sheet, no templates, no reprints, no importing from japanese sets. Just like how WOTC makes their MTG sets, or how Cryptozoic makes their WoW TCG sets, and just like how the Japanese people who make the Pokemon TCG makes Pokemon TCG sets.

I'm glad that the Japanese people control the destiny of the Pokemon TCG, because the game would be ruined forever if TPCi made the sets. Heck, there wouldn't be a game in the trading card game.

Here's a future complaint in a certain scenario. Imagine that they made a brand new type. I would complain so hard, because making a brand new type is designing the game while throwing the "Game" in Trading card game out the window.

It isn't TPCi's job to make new cards. Sure, it would be nice if they created some new arts for promos, but ultimately, Pokemon is headquartered in Japan, and that is where all the ideas come from. Claiming that TPCi couldn't make a set is like saying your local McDonald's couldn't come up with a new desert - it's not their job, but rather the job of the main boss. TPCi was formed to manage the production and distribution of Pokemon products outside of Japan. Anything beyond that, such as new non-Japanese card arts, is a bonus.

Binx345

Verified Seller
signofzeta - If your cards are curling that bad, something is odd. Most cards if holo and curl, come already curled in a pack. If you put in sleeves or even toploaders and your cards still curl. Then my guess is it is not the cards. BUT your humidity levels and maybe even temp in your house or area where you live. You want your cards to stay dry but not too dry. You can get a gage to check humidity levels where you store cards, and you want things lower then 60% but higher then 25%. Hope that helps.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Being too high I understand, but why would the humidity being too low be a bad thing?

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Binx345 said:
signofzeta - If your cards are curling that bad, something is odd. Most cards if holo and curl, come already curled in a pack. If you put in sleeves or even toploaders and your cards still curl. Then my guess is it is not the cards. BUT your humidity levels and maybe even temp in your house or area where you live. You want your cards to stay dry but not too dry. You can get a gage to check humidity levels where you store cards, and you want things lower then 60% but higher then 25%. Hope that helps.

Well you can't control humidity, man.

I'm not saying they curl that extremely while in sleeves, but I'm saying they curl, just slowly. I also notice with my MTG cards that some curl, while some don't. Same with Pokemon cards, both cards are naked, so it has nothing to do with humidity.

The reason why I immediately put reverse holos in sleeves, and all holos in sleeves is to prevent them from curling. Sleeves only delay the curling a bit, but eventually they will curl, unless you use those plastic toploaders.

I live in a place where I get hot and moist summers, and cold and dry winters, so really, there is no sweet spot. Either way, the holos curl. Maybe I am overexaggerating a bit, but it took 2 years for the cards to bend 5 degrees, and even so, that is a bit too much.

Daelum

Holo cards are going to curl unless you put them in something that will prevent them from curling. The only difference is how fast or slow they curl. I have almost all my cards in binders, so the weight put on each page prevents the cards from curling.

TheTPCProductionz

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, I don't think any of my cards are curled to be fair, maybe the humidity levels are perfect I don't know but I have most in binders anyway.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
If card curling is a big concern, you can get small, plug-in dehumidifiers for pretty cheap from your local hardware store or online. Plug it in the room or area where you keep your cards stored and it will help keep the humidity low by sucking moisture out of the air.

ashtavakra

Overlord
When I leave my cards out in my car over night in the middle of december I come back outside and all the cards with any foil/reverse holo all curl.
But other than that I have never had a curling problem. Lol... Don't ever leave your cards outside if the weather forcast says snow.. It's a good way to lose lots of good cards.

Binx345

Verified Seller
As somebody else, said de-humidifiers help reduce humidty, and if things get too dry you just turn it off. But yes humidty and temp do play a huge part. My cards that curl will usually stop curling once in binder pages or toploaders. When the air gets too dry...it can harm cards/comics because it makes the cardboard/paper actually get too brittle. I would say aim for a temperature of 70-76 degrees F and humidity of 40-55%.

Salamencetrainer34

I am out of smash codes.
I absolutely, with all my heart, HATE WEIGHERS. Not only do they obviously scam collectors, but they are selfish bastards. For example, heres a weigher replying to my comment on a weighing video.

Me: STOP SCALING. Its very unfair to collectors. You are all [Censored] trash for scamming us out of the good stuff,

The selfish weigher: Well this piece of trash pulled 2 fa junipers, fa cobalion ex, fa articuno ex, fa giratina ex, and victini ex in 6 packs, screw collector's the profit is where it is at. BTW us scalers are the reason you get a holo at best when opening blister packs. LOL.... loser.( though I collect ultra rares.) Also i just so happened to come upon this when I was bored.

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
Salamencetrainer34 said:
I absolutely, with all my heart, HATE WEIGHERS. Not only do they obviously scam collectors, but they are selfish bastards. For example, heres a weigher replying to my comment on a weighing video.

Me: STOP SCALING. Its very unfair to collectors. You are all [Censored] trash for scamming us out of the good stuff,

The selfish weigher: Well this piece of trash pulled 2 fa junipers, fa cobalion ex, fa articuno ex, fa giratina ex, and victini ex in 6 packs, screw collector's the profit is where it is at. BTW us scalers are the reason you get a holo at best when opening blister packs. LOL.... loser.( though I collect ultra rares.) Also i just so happened to come upon this when I was bored.

If they made good rares this wouldnt be an issue. People scale since only the holos are worth anything. Its like throwing money out of a window if you were to open packs blindly since the rares are basically on the same level as commons in this game. Its even worse in Pokemon to where even if you scale, the holos are so bad to where you still lose money from scaling. God forbid that people want to save money trying to deck build. People usually scale because they dont have the money to go out and buy singles, its a lot cheaper this way to get better cards.

But really, why should anyone care about collectors? They blow enough money on keeping things to themselves, how is that good for anyone? Most collectors have the money to go out and buy whatever they want. Thats why they spend 100s of dollars on really bad short printed secret rares.

Im sorry but nobody feels bad that you cant keep foils in your binder so you can stare at them at night. Its not really affecting any lives that you cant complete sets that you just store away in your room to look at once in a blue moon.

Daelum

ExcaliDrose said:
But really, why should anyone care about collectors? They blow enough money on keeping things to themselves, how is that good for anyone? Most collectors have the money to go out and buy whatever they want. Thats why they spend 100s of dollars on really bad short printed secret rares.

Im sorry but nobody feels bad that you cant keep foils in your binder so you can stare at them at night. Its not really affecting any lives that you cant complete sets that you just store away in your room to look at once in a blue moon.

Woah woah woah, someone needs to stop the insult train in its tracks.

I am a collector, and I feel very offended.

First of all, not every collector has hundred of dollars to just go throw around. Most collectors carefully save their money and buy the cards they really want for their collection. Yes, there are people out there who have money to spend and buy cards like crazy, but a majority of collectors work for their money and spend it carefully.

And for your information, collectors are very important to a lot of people. Let's stick to Pokemon for an example. So, Pokemon releases a new set. A majority of the buyers are players looking to get cards for their decks. Players buy packs and boxes, then go online and buy the expensive ultra rares and great in-format cards to have the best competitive deck. I've heard it said somewhere that it costs a few hundred dollars just to have a competitive deck these days (remind me again who has hundred of dollars to just throw around?). Okay so move on a year or so, and a rotation comes along. Suddenly a set is rotated out. Now, all the players want to sell their unplayable cards. Guess who's there to buy them? Yup, COLLECTORS.
I personally think it is not wise for a collector (or at least, a collector who collects English cards) to try and complete a set as soon as it comes out. Sure, they can buy a booster box or two and complete most of the set, but it is foolish for a collector to pay the inflated values for cards that are very playable i.e. pay $60 for a Darkrai EX upon its release. Instead of being impatient, they can save a ton of money by waiting a bit, just like how Darkrai EX is now worth less than half of the price previously stated.

Also, you stated that "Its not really affecting any lives that you cant complete sets that you just store away in your room to look at once in a blue moon." This statement is horrid. I'm assuming you are strictly a Pokemon card player. Well, you can apply your statement to playing the card game as well. Let me rephrase it. "It's (grammar <3) not really affecting any lives that you can't (grammar again) build the perfect deck that you can use for a few months then throw away to get a newer deck." Do you see my point? If not, I'll explain it. Players buy cards, use them for a short time, then replace them. Collectors buy cards, then store them, where they are well appreciated. So actually, in the grand scheme of things, if you were to treat a card like an animate object, collectors are better than players.

ALSO, collectors are better for the market in the long run. Sure, people who sell new in-format cards make a lot of money, but they have a very limited range of cards to sell, in a constantly changing and strongly competitive market. Collectors, on the other hand, have the full Pokemon card market available to them. Collectors that actively sell cards tend to sell cards from when the card game first got started in 1997 in Japan, all the way to the newest promo released. I'm sure if you looked at the numbers, more money is generated by collector-type sellers than in-format-type sellers. Just to clarify, I am grouping any sales of cards that are currently not in the active format under the "collector-type" seller group, and then all sales of cards that are currently in the active format under the "in-format-type" seller group.

bagoly14

Collecting is expensive -_-
Without collectors the TCG wouldn't even exist. I can name at least 3 other card games that are more challenging and strategic than Pokemon.

I'm willing to bet a million dollars that there are more people who strictly collect vs strictly play.

I'm also willing to bet that over 60% those people who strictly collect focus mainly on Japanese cards.

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
ExcaliDrose said:
If they made good rares this wouldnt be an issue. People scale since only the holos are worth anything. Its like throwing money out of a window if you were to open packs blindly since the rares are basically on the same level as commons in this game. Its even worse in Pokemon to where even if you scale, the holos are so bad to where you still lose money from scaling. God forbid that people want to save money trying to deck build. People usually scale because they dont have the money to go out and buy singles, its a lot cheaper this way to get better cards.

Woah, you know how ridiculous this sounds?

Okay I'm gonna ignore the collector part especially since Daelum covered everything that needed to be said.

But here's my two cents on weighing. You're screwing young kids out of good pulls. Kids who have no means of getting cash to pay for them and if they get crappy pulls, their parents aren't gonna buy then more packs. And don't even think about "oh kids steal" or "it's getting rid of weak competition" or anything like that. It's unfair to the kids and its unfair to other honest players. If you're not screwing collectors, you're screwing fellow gamers and its a selfish thing that shouldn't be justified.

They really need to get put the ultra rares and holos where the reverse is so people can't weigh packs anymore, cause they'll never make it a holo card in every pack.

Every one of us gets bad cards, no one likes them, doesn't mean you can decide you've got a good reason to do it.

Binx345

Verified Seller
Whoa, excalidrose! Please stop the hate! It was very offensive to me.

Thank you Daelum, for speaking up!

I am a collector. I have very little money to spend on extra things like games, cards, movies, trips to amusement parks, etc. Most of that extra money comes from my sales of collectibles. I have decided to sell about 50% of my collectibles because I just saved too much. Now I focus mainly on pokemon, and even there I have extras for sell. I like the joy of both playing and collecting and trading. Not only do I play with my cards (sleeved of course), but they are kept in binders that I often go through for deck ideas or just to read it like a picture book. I always imagined if someday I should ever have a child, I will read them about the pokemon and share the cards books like picture albums. Each card has a little story info (flavor text), great artwork, and there is a story of how I got the card. Not to mention all the other info about that pokemon or its attacks, how you play with it etc.

As said before,without collectors pokemon would not exist. Part of the appeal of the pokemon video games and entire franchise is "gotta catch em all".

A lot of people like trading with me because my trade binders have stuff back to 1997. Sometimes cards get reprinted. The old stuff is much harder to get then newer stuff.

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
Daelum said:
ExcaliDrose said:

Woah woah woah, someone needs to stop the insult train in its tracks.

I am a collector, and I feel very offended.

First of all, not every collector has hundred of dollars to just go throw around. Most collectors carefully save their money and buy the cards they really want for their collection. Yes, there are people out there who have money to spend and buy cards like crazy, but a majority of collectors work for their money and spend it carefully.

And for your information, collectors are very important to a lot of people. Let's stick to Pokemon for an example. So, Pokemon releases a new set. A majority of the buyers are players looking to get cards for their decks. Players buy packs and boxes, then go online and buy the expensive ultra rares and great in-format cards to have the best competitive deck. I've heard it said somewhere that it costs a few hundred dollars just to have a competitive deck these days (remind me again who has hundred of dollars to just throw around?). Okay so move on a year or so, and a rotation comes along. Suddenly a set is rotated out. Now, all the players want to sell their unplayable cards. Guess who's there to buy them? Yup, COLLECTORS.
I personally think it is not wise for a collector (or at least, a collector who collects English cards) to try and complete a set as soon as it comes out. Sure, they can buy a booster box or two and complete most of the set, but it is foolish for a collector to pay the inflated values for cards that are very playable i.e. pay $60 for a Darkrai EX upon its release. Instead of being impatient, they can save a ton of money by waiting a bit, just like how Darkrai EX is now worth less than half of the price previously stated.

Also, you stated that "Its not really affecting any lives that you cant complete sets that you just store away in your room to look at once in a blue moon." This statement is horrid. I'm assuming you are strictly a Pokemon card player. Well, you can apply your statement to playing the card game as well. Let me rephrase it. "It's (grammar <3) not really affecting any lives that you can't (grammar again) build the perfect deck that you can use for a few months then throw away to get a newer deck." Do you see my point? If not, I'll explain it. Players buy cards, use them for a short time, then replace them. Collectors buy cards, then store them, where they are well appreciated. So actually, in the grand scheme of things, if you were to treat a card like an animate object, collectors are better than players.

ALSO, collectors are better for the market in the long run. Sure, people who sell new in-format cards make a lot of money, but they have a very limited range of cards to sell, in a constantly changing and strongly competitive market. Collectors, on the other hand, have the full Pokemon card market available to them. Collectors that actively sell cards tend to sell cards from when the card game first got started in 1997 in Japan, all the way to the newest promo released. I'm sure if you looked at the numbers, more money is generated by collector-type sellers than in-format-type sellers. Just to clarify, I am grouping any sales of cards that are currently not in the active format under the "collector-type" seller group, and then all sales of cards that are currently in the active format under the "in-format-type" seller group.

Organizated Play keeps the game alive, there would be next to no interest in the game if it didnt exist. Collectors are important but they cant keep the game going by themselves. TPCi doesnt make money off cards that are out of print, so once a set is off the market, its irrelevant to the game at large whatever happens to the cards. The collectables just keep a strong secondary market at best.

Im not here to bash collectors, but the "collectors" on this thread should put things in perspective instead of thinking "we run this game" since you dont. Im sure collectors and players both help the market but neither one has more or less influence on the game.

MrSquarepants said:
ExcaliDrose said:

Woah, you know how ridiculous this sounds?

Okay I'm gonna ignore the collector part especially since Daelum covered everything that needed to be said.

But here's my two cents on weighing. You're screwing young kids out of good pulls. Kids who have no means of getting cash to pay for them and if they get crappy pulls, their parents aren't gonna buy then more packs. And don't even think about "oh kids steal" or "it's getting rid of weak competition" or anything like that. It's unfair to the kids and its unfair to other honest players. If you're not screwing collectors, you're screwing fellow gamers and its a selfish thing that shouldn't be justified.

They really need to get put the ultra rares and holos where the reverse is so people can't weigh packs anymore, cause they'll never make it a holo card in every pack.

Every one of us gets bad cards, no one likes them, doesn't mean you can decide you've got a good reason to do it.

You know whats funny, when I was a kid, I probably opened tons of weighed packs and had no idea. But thats just the way it is. You dont know any better, but better yet, you didnt care since you didnt understand for the most part what was really good and really bad in the game. Most little kids dont understand the game at large and most of them end up getting ripped off for their good cards via trade anyway.

Scaling is a part of almost every other TCG. You only screw yourself as as you choose to. Many store owners probably weigh a decent portion of their stuff to maximize profit and you wouldnt even know. I could easily see store owners buying a case, weighing half of it and then mixing it with the rest. Thats just the way it is sometimes when you buy packs. If people have the opportunity to pull a better card legally, then they will take that chance to do so. And really why not? Like I said again (and the collectors out there dont go ape **** when I say it) it doesnt do anyone harm. If you dont like people weighing packs, then get your own scale and do it or buy singles, its not really that hard. Not everyone cares about buying a pack if its weighed or not. Some people would buy cheap packs just for reverse holos or ace specs. Some kids parents just want to shut their kid up and buy them cards and have alot of money so they drop it on whatever and just dont care.

Salamencetrainer34

I am out of smash codes.
So... for second paragraph, its 100% OK to scam children? That they don't know better so we should mantipulate their minds? Is that the entire point? Disgusting...

ExcaliDrose

Aspiring Trainer
Salamencetrainer34 said:
So... for second paragraph, its 100% OK to scam children? That they don't know better so we should mantipulate their minds? Is that the entire point? Disgusting...

But what exactly are they being scammed out of? Holos? Why is that important for them to get one?

Salamencetrainer34

I am out of smash codes.
Why is it important for us non weighers to pull a ultra rare? Because its random and its fun to find! The kids may not know about it, but it doesn't excuse your selfishness.