Discussion Sword & Shield In Expanded

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
So he ended up going, at the last minute... and so the only deck I could make in time was a Zacian V Turbo deck (the only one I had even close to the right cards for). Even missing the Ether and Trainer's Mails (both key cards), and replacing all of the Shaymins with Dedennes, he did alright (3-3) - not bad really - and then got some CP in the cup the next day too. I love the cups - take away the "top" Juniors and you have a cup that a midlevel junior can perform well at, without so much pressure but still having plenty of games against kids (as opposed to the "guaranteed top 2 junior cup" that is so common, where there's just two of them, they play one game, then the rest of the day is against Masters). Not bad given he picked up the deck for the first time Saturday morning! Now if I could only convince him that Dedenne is a poor choice for a starter...

Thanks for the advice :) We won't play again until Fort Wayne most likely (which is Standard), though may hit a few likely-expanded Cups in the next month or so. Will get the cards we're missing and make some adjustments (and he's suggested a few good ones based on other decks he saw, which I think is amazing!) and see how things go!

Nice, glad to see I could help. My son opted to play TinaChomp and went 3-1-2. Went 3-0 out of the gate and had 3 win and ins against 3 players in the top 10 of the US. Drew first against Snorlax and lost twice against Zacian. Worst for that tournament is that 47 juniors registered, 1 shy of kicker to get top 16 cp points, so only top 8 got points. My son locked in his ticket much earlier just on cups. Like you said, those are much easier in juniors. We thought we would see a lot of Ultra Necrozma and Dark Box. My son didn't hit or see a single one...just a bad meta call at the end of the day.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I'd heard about 47 - I only saw 46 in the initial pairings, so that might be incorrect, or maybe someone pulled out before we got our pairings. I had one parent ask about registering her 3 year old just to get up to 48, but that never happened I guess :D

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah 47 juniors registered and paid, but only 46 submitted decklists so that one extra got dropped. Definitely can't register a 3 year old as they have to be 6 and over to participate. Too bad too. Happens a lot in every division though.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Are you sure about that (6 and over)? My youngest (now six) played in quite a few tournaments at five, including challenges and a cup. I'm not seeing a 6 year old minimum in the rules - is it event-specific?

(Just to be clear, I wouldn't endorse entering a three year old who couldn't actually play just to boost the CP payout. But I do have a few juniors in my league who are below six and could theoretically decide to want to play a bigger tournament at some point!)

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
I would add Ninja Box to your list. It will never be played but is better than most of the decks in your list. ;)

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
I would add Ninja Box to your list. It will never be played but is better than most of the decks in your list. ;)
Oh my god are you still trying to shove your dumb ninja boy deck down peoples’ throats? It’s been like 3 years dude, get over yourself

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
Oh my god are you still trying to shove your dumb ninja boy deck down peoples’ throats? It’s been like 3 years dude, get over yourself

And you are still there after 3 years trying to tell people their wrongs at every occasion you get but have yet to contribute to something of your own or have any manners at all when addressing people. Its like you are just lurking around posts to be a troll at every chance you get.

Actually after 3 years I am way past trying to shove anything down peoples throat. I am at the point where I am still trying to figure how is it that I am the only one to have been able to see Ninja Boy as a whole complete powerful mechanic that adapts so well and stays fresh each new patch. How is it that some decks are played at tournaments that are not half as good as Ninja Box.

Ninja Box is 3 years old and still as good as it ever was if not better. There is a short list of decks that can say the same. In fact, most decks go obsolete after a few expansions and you have to buy expensive new cards again and again. Ninja Box requires just a few new cards per expansion to keep up with the meta. In the end, you are the one who is looking dumb not me. Live in deny of the facts like the mass and keep buying yourself so many new cards (4 copies of each pokemon) every new set to be able to keep up with competition. With Ninja Box I will just update my deck with a few things for a fraction of what you spent and play a unique top tier deck every new patch.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
And you are still there after 3 years trying to tell people their wrongs at every occasion you get but have yet to contribute to something of your own or have any manners at all when addressing people. Its like you are just lurking around posts to be a troll at every chance you get.
Oh so i should post like you where every post you make is just to stroke your own ego on how great you think your special snowflake ninja boy deck is? No thanks I have more tact then that.

Actually after 3 years I am way past trying to shove anything down peoples throat. I am at the point where I am still trying to figure how is it that I am the only one to have been able to see Ninja Boy as a whole complete powerful mechanic that adapts so well and stays fresh each new patch. How is it that some decks are played at tournaments that are not half as good as Ninja Box.
Really? The post I replied to proves the opposite. You are still are going around trying to convince everyone that your Ninja Boy deck is one of the best decks and beats the whole meta. That's literally the post I quoted. Oh and to answer your question, it's because you're suffering from the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Ninja Box is 3 years old and still as good as it ever was if not better. There is a short list of decks that can say the same. In fact, most decks go obsolete after a few expansions and you have to buy expensive new cards again and again. Ninja Box requires just a few new cards per expansion to keep up with the meta. In the end, you are the one who is looking dumb not me. Live in deny of the facts like the mass and keep buying yourself so many new cards (4 copies of each pokemon) every new set to be able to keep up with competition. With Ninja Box I will just update my deck with a few things for a fraction of what you spent and play a unique top tier deck every new patch.
That's... that's because you're playing expanded. Every deck in expanded can just buy a few cards from each set and stay current. That's how expanded works. That's not special about your ninja boy deck. So other then making a presumptuous straw-man about my supposed spending habits do you have an actual point to make?

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Are you sure about that (6 and over)? My youngest (now six) played in quite a few tournaments at five, including challenges and a cup. I'm not seeing a 6 year old minimum in the rules - is it event-specific?

(Just to be clear, I wouldn't endorse entering a three year old who couldn't actually play just to boost the CP payout. But I do have a few juniors in my league who are below six and could theoretically decide to want to play a bigger tournament at some point!)

So I checked with the Judge who has been training me and he said the packaging of the product says for ages 6+. That being the case I suppose people are hesitant to allow players under that age perhaps from more of a legal stand point.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Oh so i should post like you where every post you make is just to stroke your own ego on how great you think your special snowflake ninja boy deck is? No thanks I have more tact then that.

Really? The post I replied to proves the opposite. You are still are going around trying to convince everyone that your Ninja Boy deck is one of the best decks and beats the whole meta. That's literally the post I quoted. Oh and to answer your question, it's because you're suffering from the Dunning–Kruger effect.

That's... that's because you're playing expanded. Every deck in expanded can just buy a few cards from each set and stay current. That's how expanded works. That's not special about your ninja boy deck. So other then making a presumptuous straw-man about my supposed spending habits do you have an actual point to make?
You both were actually kind of right. Ninja boy did perform well at Collinsville in combination with Ho'Oh and the bird trio. That said it clearly wasn't top tier. It lost on stream to Snorlax late in day 2 and didn't make the finals. The top 8 was 3 Trevenant & Dusknoir hand lock, 2 Vileplume item lock, 2 Doll Stall, and 1 Snorlax. I guess that's what you get when you play expanded...

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master

Go play Candy Crush please. There is something fundamentally wrong with people like you. Listen to fake news and play what they tell you to play. Dont open your mind to anything that comes out of the box and is way better than the average so called meta deck.

At this point, still thinking that Ninja Box is some fantasy deck and a suboptimal play for the meta is just being purely ignorant. If you had been just trying to drive the deck for a dozen games you would realize how person you have been not to even consider it. Ninja Box is one of the strongest decks out there and will remain powerful for many years. And its fine if I am one of the very few people to play it. After 3 years of talking about this op deck, I am still confused as to why people dont recognize it as a legit option to play. But I should not I guess, thats how person mankind is. Brain dead people make for over 50% of the population. That’s how you end up having someone like Trump in the White house.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
You both were actually kind of right. Ninja boy did perform well at Collinsville in combination with Ho'Oh and the bird trio. That said it clearly wasn't top tier. It lost on stream to Snorlax late in day 2 and didn't make the finals. The top 8 was 3 Trevenant & Dusknoir hand lock, 2 Vileplume item lock, 2 Doll Stall, and 1 Snorlax. I guess that's what you get when you play expanded...

BirdTrio Ho-oh is not Ninja Box. It uses Ninja Boy to work but thats not a deck even close to being as good as Ninja Box. Makes me wonder why someone would ever play a crappy BirdTrio Ho-oh deck instead of Ninja Box. It is very linear and has no depth whatsoever.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
BirdTrio Ho-oh is not Ninja Box. It uses Ninja Boy to work but thats not a deck even close to being as good as Ninja Box. Makes me wonder why someone would ever play a crappy BirdTrio Ho-oh deck instead of Ninja Box. It is very linear and has no depth whatsoever.
I will say I can't speak for the depth of Ninja Boy, but I can say it didn't make top 8 at Collinsville, so clearly it must also be lacking some depth as well.

Nyora

A Cat

Yeah 47 juniors registered and paid, but only 46 submitted decklists so that one extra got dropped. Definitely can't register a 3 year old as they have to be 6 and over to participate. Too bad too. Happens a lot in every division though.
My memory may be faltered, but I remember when I was 12(?) reading about a 5-year-old (who’s now probably also 13-14 lol) playing competitively at the 2012 World Championships in the booklet that came in the worlds mewtwo-EX/darkrai-EX 1st place deck they had for sale.

Because it’s seen better results. If you really want to prove that Ninja Box is good, go beat a streamer 14/15 games online (stretch but you get my point) or go at the very minimum day 2 an expanded regionals or convince someone going to bring the day and at least get day 2 with it.
Now you’ve brought up that sometimes decks are not considered widely until someone does well with it- but Ninja Box hasn’t had any significant play or results since it’s release. I agree that Ninja Box does have very slim semi-counters to most decks that can be played around, but it is far from a top deck. And in your thread I pointed out the 1-of situation. It’s not just the prizing that can royally screw you over, but also if the card becomes unusable for another reason like well, being Knocked Out.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Ninja Box is one of the strongest decks out there and will remain powerful for many years.
I am still confused as to why people dont recognize it as a legit option to play.
The reason people don't recognize your deck is you have never proven your claims of its viabilty. You talk so big but have never provided any real evidence to back it up ever. The only reasoning you've ever give is "it wins all the time on PTCGO" but that's not actual proof because we can't see it. Anyone can say "I win 17/20 of my games with my deck". It doesn't mean anything. And even if it did winning on PTCGO isn't proof of anything. Namely PTCGO matches you with players of equal skill using hidden MMR so bad players will play other bad players (and there is nothing stopping those players from coping and using meta decks poorly). It's more then reasonable that you're win streaks are just from playing medicore players who can't pilot meta decks effectively and not from actually having a powerful deck.

Until you actually do something to prove the deck's viability (tournament results, beat known high skill players consistently, get top tier players to agree with you) no one will take you seriously regardless of if they play the meta or not. You just sound like the kid from school who keeps making up big lies like "I'm dating a super model she goes to another a school" or "my uncle works at Nintendo" but you been doing it for 3 years. It's gotten old.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
The reason people don't recognize your deck is you have never proven your claims of its viabilty. You talk so big but have never provided any real evidence to back it up ever. The only reasoning you've ever give is "it wins all the time on PTCGO" but that's not actual proof because we can't see it. Anyone can say "I win 17/20 of my games with my deck". It doesn't mean anything. And even if it did winning on PTCGO isn't proof of anything. Namely PTCGO matches you with players of equal skill using hidden MMR so bad players will play other bad players (and there is nothing stopping those players from coping and using meta decks poorly). It's more then reasonable that you're win streaks are just from playing medicore players who can't pilot meta decks effectively and not from actually having a powerful deck.

Until you actually do something to prove the deck's viability (tournament results, beat known high skill players consistently, get top tier players to agree with you) no one will take you seriously regardless of if they play the meta or not. You just sound like the kid from school who keeps making up big lies like "I'm dating a super model she goes to another a school" or "my uncle works at Nintendo" but you been doing it for 3 years. It's gotten old.

I always showed people who were questioning the deck what it was worth. I was challenged more than once and prevailed. I am always in for a challenge and to prove my point. I am not hiding behind anything and am being fair and honest and speak the truth about this deck.

People really believe it is possible that I played Ninja Box as my main deck over the past 3 years and write that much about it if it is so crap? I have many meta decks I also have, why would Ninja Box be my main deck if it is a dumb deck? What would be my motive to still play it after 3 years, tell me? Someone has to have a motive to do this.

The reason why this deck was never used and played is because no player ever pushed Ninja Boy to the limit like I did and allowed it to become the main engine of a deck. Ninja Boy can draw cards, manage bench space and bench the supporters you need. It allows you to attach on any pokemon like if it was the attacker you desire. It allows you to retreat, deny prizes and much more than that. It is the most flexible trainer card ever printed. The reason this deck is out of the radar is because it runs on a totally different engine, thats the only reason. Not because it is bad.

You want proof? Bring me people who can pilot perfectly the top 10 meta decks in expanded and I will give you proof. I will do a best of 3 against each of those decks and prove my point. I am confident enough in the deck to tell you right now that I will have over 65% win rate.

Nyora

A Cat
My Celebi V deck online has a winrate of 92%. Does that make it a good deck? NO! It's rogue, at most, like Ninja Boy. Probably about 85% of games are versus players who are quite honestly not great, and the other 15% is versus players who know what they're doing but are also not playing amazingly meta decks (Medicham, which I don't remember how I beat lol).
I know Ninja Boy is a completely different deck with the playstyle of basically countering your opponent's deck, hopefully 100% of the time. So it is a low different where your numbers come from, what decks you played and all that. And honestly? 65% winrate? Not super good.
Ninja Boy can draw cards, manage bench space and bench the supporters you need.
I imagine this is all true, but only in tandem with other cards that aren't Pokemon?
The biggest issue I have with Ninja Boy is it's so frail and all of the strategies it uses can be broken by something in expanded. Your winrate most likely comes from a mix of tcgo luck/bad players/bad decks/lack of preparation. Lack of preparation is the best reason literally ANY rogue/meme deck can use to argue that it is a good deck, and like, 90% of the time it proves to be a crap argument.

My Noivern deck online has a 55% winrate, which is only about 10% below your proclaimed 65% winrate. If I'm pushing Noivern to the same scale as Ninja Box, then it's not a bad deck, right? You're implying Ninja Box could easily, or at the very least day 2 a regionals, and since Noivern is only 10% lower of a winrate due to getting 4 DDE in starting hand for god only knows how many games, it should be able to compete and also have a good chance at making Day 2, correct? Helllll naw. It's a fun deck for SURE, but there's no way this thing is going to do well at a tournament. And Noivern, being much older than Celebi V, has also had more experience with actual good players/decks. This has beaten Blacephalon-GX (the short time it was considered), Roxiechomp, multiple Zoroark variants, ReskiKrom, Ultra Necrozma, even a Gardeon (which was the happiest moment of my life even if it had probably been due to bad luck) etc. It wins because similarly to Ninja Boy, I have a janky, extremely frail strategy. Well, extremely is maybe a little,,, extreme, but flip coins are generally not reliable. And as much as Noivern has beaten meta decks, well, it does have a 45% loss rate, and you could guess that a lot of that is the same thing- meta decks. And it's not like all of my 55% win rate is meta, either. Noivern, like Ninja Boy, has the ability to cheese almost every deck it can come across, but that doesn't make it competitively viable.
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 4 Noibat BUS 109
* 4 Noivern FFI 77
* 2 Noivern BREAK BKT 113
* 1 Mr. Mime BKT 97
* 3 Victini GRI 10
* 1 Shining Celebi PR-SM 79
* 1 Blitzle BCR 56
* 2 Zebstrika LOT 82
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 155

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 4 N PR-BLW 100
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 1 Escape Board UPR 122
* 1 Faba LOT 208
* 4 Pal Pad FLF 92
* 1 Guzma BUS 143
* 2 Koga's Trap UNB 211
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Shrine of Punishment CES 143
* 3 Muscle Band XY 121

##Energy - 8

* 4 Memory Energy LOT 194
* 4 Double Dragon Energy ROS 97

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The Celebi V decklist can be found here, along with some really good expanded decklists, by the way.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
My Celebi V deck online has a winrate of 92%. Does that make it a good deck? NO! It's rogue, at most, like Ninja Boy. Probably about 85% of games are versus players who are quite honestly not great, and the other 15% is versus players who know what they're doing but are also not playing amazingly meta decks (Medicham, which I don't remember how I beat lol).
I know Ninja Boy is a completely different deck with the playstyle of basically countering your opponent's deck, hopefully 100% of the time. So it is a low different where your numbers come from, what decks you played and all that. And honestly? 65% winrate? Not super good.

I imagine this is all true, but only in tandem with other cards that aren't Pokemon?
The biggest issue I have with Ninja Boy is it's so frail and all of the strategies it uses can be broken by something in expanded. Your winrate most likely comes from a mix of tcgo luck/bad players/bad decks/lack of preparation. Lack of preparation is the best reason literally ANY rogue/meme deck can use to argue that it is a good deck, and like, 90% of the time it proves to be a crap argument.

My Noivern deck online has a 55% winrate, which is only about 10% below your proclaimed 65% winrate. If I'm pushing Noivern to the same scale as Ninja Box, then it's not a bad deck, right? You're implying Ninja Box could easily, or at the very least day 2 a regionals, and since Noivern is only 10% lower of a winrate due to getting 4 DDE in starting hand for god only knows how many games, it should be able to compete and also have a good chance at making Day 2, correct? Helllll naw. It's a fun deck for SURE, but there's no way this thing is going to do well at a tournament. And Noivern, being much older than Celebi V, has also had more experience with actual good players/decks. This has beaten Blacephalon-GX (the short time it was considered), Roxiechomp, multiple Zoroark variants, ReskiKrom, Ultra Necrozma, even a Gardeon (which was the happiest moment of my life even if it had probably been due to bad luck) etc. It wins because similarly to Ninja Boy, I have a janky, extremely frail strategy. Well, extremely is maybe a little,,, extreme, but flip coins are generally not reliable. And as much as Noivern has beaten meta decks, well, it does have a 45% loss rate, and you could guess that a lot of that is the same thing- meta decks. And it's not like all of my 55% win rate is meta, either. Noivern, like Ninja Boy, has the ability to cheese almost every deck it can come across, but that doesn't make it competitively viable.

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 4 Noibat BUS 109
* 4 Noivern FFI 77
* 1 Mr. Mime BKT 97
* 3 Victini GRI 10
* 1 Blitzle BCR 56
* 2 Zebstrika LOT 82
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 155

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 4 N PR-BLW 100
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Escape Board UPR 122
* 1 Faba LOT 208
* 4 Pal Pad FLF 92
* 1 Guzma BUS 143
* 2 Koga's Trap UNB 211
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Muscle Band XY 121

##Energy - 8

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The Celebi V decklist can be found here, along with some really good expanded decklists, by the way.
Ha ha, I laughed when I saw Celebi V and Noivern get name dropped to counter the Ninja Boy argument. Yeah I agree completely. If you want to prove that Ninja Boy is relevant and a strong deck go win a regional with it and then maybe we can talk about it. 4 DDE in hand is what happens when you play PTCGO. I can't count how many times playing RoxieChomp or Ultra Necrozma that has happened to me. If you keep the hand you lose and if you ditch it you lose. Feels good right?

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 4 Noibat BUS 109
* 4 Noivern FFI 77
* 1 Mr. Mime BKT 97
* 3 Victini GRI 10
* 1 Blitzle BCR 56
* 2 Zebstrika LOT 82
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 155

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 4 N PR-BLW 100
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Escape Board UPR 122
* 1 Faba LOT 208
* 4 Pal Pad FLF 92
* 1 Guzma BUS 143
* 2 Koga's Trap UNB 211
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Muscle Band XY 121

##Energy - 8

Total Cards - 60

Dont know what the Celebi V deck is but I know the Noivern GX deck and it cant be compared seriously. The argument about having a 1 of cards in the deck can be true but thats not as bad as people think because it does not mean that if the card is prized its an auto loss. You can win without the card with so many outs and if you take a few prizes you might get that card out of the prizes for you to use. The 65% win rate includes all the testing done and tweaking to the deck. So, start from scratch with a deck, no list at all, play it for 3 years and continually tweak it and maintain a 65% win rate and tell me it is not good. Seriously you guys got no clue whatsoever how the deck is played.

As I already said, I dont play any tournament IRL so I wont prove anything that way. A few post away and during last expansion a guy wrote to me and said he liked the deck, brought it to a local event and won it against Zororaticate. During last expansion the deck struggled against Ultra Necrozma but thats not the case anymore. Now, I am willing to prove every one how this deck is better than half the meta decks right now and just as good as the other half. Bring a few good players with meta decks and buy some popcorn.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
So. This Ninja Boy thing has devolved into an argument. If you wanna discuss the deck and its viability in Expanded using arguments (like some of you have done), be my guest, that's what the thread is for. But if this 'my deck is good I swear' 'prove it' 'look at my winrate' etc continues, the thread will be locked.

If you can't talk about Ninja Boy without it turning into a fight, then don't.