Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Blob55 said:
Oh. That's what that game is. I thought Rhythm Heaven was some Dreamcast game for whatever reason.

lol Yeah I don't blame you not a lot of people are aware of Rhythm Heaven apparently.

Blob55 said:
Paultina is boring and should just be a pallet swap, like Daisy

Wut. Who of and why? Palutena is actually shaping up to be a pretty unique character with her own set of skills (and a lot of customization) and serves as a worthy additional rep for Kid Icarus.

Blob55 said:
Baby Bowser should go die in a frozen volcano. I just hate him, as he's the cause of all the misery Mario has in Mario Sunshine. Stupid racist Pinatas. I hope they're not in this game either.

Wut. This is a joke right? Not related to him being in Smash? Never played too far into Sunshine, though. What experience made you think the Pinatas racist? (i feel silly just typing that...)

Momaster12 said:
Blob55 said:
Oh. That's what that game is. I thought Rhythm Heaven was some Dreamcast game for whatever reason.

lol Yeah I don't blame you not a lot of people are aware of Rhythm Heaven apparently.

Blob55 said:
Paultina is boring and should just be a pallet swap, like Daisy

Wut. Who of and why? Palutena is actually shaping up to be a pretty unique character with her own set of skills (and a lot of customization) and serves as a worthy additional rep for Kid Icarus.

Blob55 said:
Baby Bowser should go die in a frozen volcano. I just hate him, as he's the cause of all the misery Mario has in Mario Sunshine. Stupid racist Pinatas. I hope they're not in this game either.

Wut. This is a joke right? Not related to him being in Smash? Never played too far into Sunshine, though. What experience made you think the Pinatas racist? (i feel silly just typing that...)

OK, I typed the wrong thing. I meant to say that one princess of the universe instead of Palutena. I always get their names mixed up.

Second, in Mario Sunshine, you're made to clean up the whole of the island, because someone like Mario caused everywhere to go all gooey, even though not long after you're fausly charged, Baby Bowser, who looks like Mario at the time, comes out to kidnap Peach. What doesn't make any sense, is that multiple times through the game, the Pinatas would see there are two Marios running around and one wants to stop the other. Yet they still make you, on your own, clean up the entire island.
I also hated how the Pinatas are now bumming around outside of Peaches Castle at the end of Galaxy. That was such a lame ending.

Watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQK16yhkPug&list=UUg83RGdRpwfvoFEuE2zWKZA

Blob55 said:
OK, I typed the wrong thing. I meant to say that one princess of the universe instead of Palutena. I always get their names mixed up.
You mean Rosalina? Because the same argument could be made about her. The gameplay seen of her can confirm that she really is holding up to be quite the unique character. It may seem like she is just copying Ice Climbers, but she really isn't. Luma works a lot different from Popo and Nana. Like how Luma can be sent out to do its own thing then be called back. And I'm pretty sure there is no lag thing when attacking, like both Rosalina and Luma attack at the same exact time.

Blob55 said:
Well it's also unfair that Mario, Zelda and for some reason Fire Emblem have the same amount of/more characters than in Brawl.

Not this again...
I hate to repeat myself but here you go:

professorlight said:
I think that what people (yes, absurd generalization, I know, but you get my point) don't quite get is that franchises are not equal by any means; not only in standing, but in qualities; mario is the basic one, yes, but how many possible characters could you possibly get away putting in SSB without cloning or introducing useless things (say, toad, baby mario, luigi, etc, dry bones, all those bloody koopalings)?

Or zelda; zelda's main characters are already there: link, ganondorf and zelda; and they threw sheik as a bonus because ocarina is just, THE zelda game; you can't put more without falling into more obscure characters of other zelda games (ghirahim, midna, yuga... I don't know... koloktos? king dodongo? whatever); then, what else? toon link? is he different enough from link to deserve a spot?

Metroid? samus, zero suit samus, and makes sense for them to share a spot, then what? dark samus? clone. Ridley? kraid? too big compared to the other characters; mother brain? has brain in a jar syndrome; the other hunters? virtually unknown. that's it, nothing else.

What else? pikmin? two captains, clones of each other. The pikmin? ha.
Fire emblem? a lot of characters, but heavily customizable and almost clones at that level, right? heavy sword/axe/hammer/tree log, spell, fast sword, not much.
Kid icarus? palutena and pit.
Pokemon, however? you have close to 100 possible characters to choose from; that's after starters and some legendaries.

There is no possible way all franchises are equally represented, especially if you throw pokemon into the mix. Besides, sakurai knows what he's doing (except the part about not giving peach her SPP powers, bloody bastard).

EDIT: Or alternately:
Athena said:
An interesting article where Sakurai talks about his decisions to include Lucina and Robin in SSB while ditching Chrom.

An interesting look at the behind the scenes process. I was very amused to hear how easy it was to design Robin's movesets, though I'm not surprised.

I don't know why I even bothered... Sakurai had already said the exact same thing, and I hadn't read it until now.

Finally:
that magnificent bastard said:
In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Momaster12 said:
Blob55 said:
You mean Rosalina? Because the same argument could be made about her. The gameplay seen of her can confirm that she really is holding up to be quite the unique character. It may seem like she is just copying Ice Climbers, but she really isn't. Luma works a lot different from Popo and Nana. Like how Luma can be sent out to do its own thing then be called back. And I'm pretty sure there is no lag thing when attacking, like both Rosalina and Luma attack at the same exact time.

Yeah. Rosalina. I find her a very dull character, who's overstayed her welcome.

Blob55 said:

What does that even mean she's overstayed her welcome? And how is she dull? Could you please elaborate a little more because you lost me.

professorlight said:
Blob55 said:
Well it's also unfair that Mario, Zelda and for some reason Fire Emblem have the same amount of/more characters than in Brawl.

Not this again...
I hate to repeat myself but here you go:

professorlight said:
I think that what people (yes, absurd generalization, I know, but you get my point) don't quite get is that franchises are not equal by any means; not only in standing, but in qualities; mario is the basic one, yes, but how many possible characters could you possibly get away putting in SSB without cloning or introducing useless things (say, toad, baby mario, luigi, etc, dry bones, all those bloody koopalings)?

Or zelda; zelda's main characters are already there: link, ganondorf and zelda; and they threw sheik as a bonus because ocarina is just, THE zelda game; you can't put more without falling into more obscure characters of other zelda games (ghirahim, midna, yuga... I don't know... koloktos? king dodongo? whatever); then, what else? toon link? is he different enough from link to deserve a spot?

Metroid? samus, zero suit samus, and makes sense for them to share a spot, then what? dark samus? clone. Ridley? kraid? too big compared to the other characters; mother brain? has brain in a jar syndrome; the other hunters? virtually unknown. that's it, nothing else.

What else? pikmin? two captains, clones of each other. The pikmin? ha.
Fire emblem? a lot of characters, but heavily customizable and almost clones at that level, right? heavy sword/axe/hammer/tree log, spell, fast sword, not much.
Kid icarus? palutena and pit.
Pokemon, however? you have close to 100 possible characters to choose from; that's after starters and some legendaries.

There is no possible way all franchises are equally represented, especially if you throw pokemon into the mix. Besides, sakurai knows what he's doing (except the part about not giving peach her SPP powers, bloody bastard).

EDIT: Or alternately:

I don't know why I even bothered... Sakurai had already said the exact same thing, and I hadn't read it until now.

Finally:

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Not what I was getting at. I'm saying that Pokémon should have 6 playable characters, because that's how many there were in Brawl. Pokémon is the only Franchise with at least 2 characters, which has less than what it had in the previous game. I'm not counting Wolf and Lucus because of DLC.

So you technically said that Pokémon is worse than it was two generations ago, because it has less playable characters.

Mario: 3 more than the last game.
Zelda: Same amount.
Metroid: Same amount.
Fox: Same amount including Wolf DLC.
Fire Emblem: 2 more than the last game.
Kirby: Same amount.
Earthbound/Mother: Same amount including DLC.
Donkey Kong: Same amount as last game.
Pokémon: 1 less than the last game.

Momaster12 said:
Blob55 said:

What does that even mean she's overstayed her welcome? And how is she dull? Could you please elaborate a little more because you lost me.

I just don't remember anything about her other than she's the princess of the universe.

Blob55 said:
So you technically said that Pokémon is worse than it was two generations ago, because it has less playable characters.

Where did I say such a thing?

What I said is this:

There is no possible way all franchises are equally represented, especially if you throw pokemon into the mix.

Note that "equally represented" doesn't exclude the previous games.

Blob55 said:
Mario: 3 more than the last game.
Zelda: Same amount.
Metroid: Same amount.
Fox: Same amount including Wolf DLC.
Fire Emblem: 2 more than the last game.
Kirby: Same amount.
Earthbound/Mother: Same amount including DLC.
Donkey Kong: Same amount as last game.
Pokémon: 1 less than the last game.

If you are counting the unconfirmed DLC for wolf and lucas, why not count an unconfirmed DLC for mewtwo as well?

One thing that REALLY bothers me...why are there 5 characters shown in the middle lane of photos? ( http://s29.postimg.org/jo56xcy93/leakers.jpg )

professorlight said:
If you are counting the unconfirmed DLC for wolf and lucas, why not count an unconfirmed DLC for mewtwo as well?

I wasn't aware there was unconfirmed DLC for Mewtwo.

Mewtwo has not been confirmed yet or if he will be but a lot of us have high hopes for his return from Melee.:)

OK, the whole conversation about the number of characters from each franchise has held for too long.

In the end, the reason most people will say a franchise should/shouldn't have many characters is how much they like it. But there's no way you're gonna have equal represantation. It's a crossover game of Nintendo characters. If you expect your favorite series to make up half the roster, I'm sorry to say, but it's impossible. Be content with what has been added.

Don't overdo it.

Chaos Jackal said:
OK, the whole conversation about the number of characters from each franchise has held for too long.

In the end, the reason most people will say a franchise should/shouldn't have many characters is how much they like it. But there's no way you're gonna have equal represantation. It's a crossover game of Nintendo characters. If you expect your favorite series to make up half the roster, I'm sorry to say, but it's impossible. Be content with what has been added.

Don't overdo it.

I never said I wanted Pokémon to take up half the roster! I just want there to be the same amount of playable Pokémon as in Brawl.

Firstly, the word is number, not amount. You only use "amount" when referring to continuous quantities. We're counting characters here, not taking their combined mass.

Secondly, there's no need for more Pokemon representation, in my opinion. It's not like there's some standard that Sakurai and his team are obligated to meet. I also don't really see why Pokemon Trainer is being counted as three different representations. By each its own slot, Pokemon can actually be more fleshed out and interesting in terms of strategy.

I understand that putting in a grass starter would complete the trio (sorta), but I doubt that the effort would be put in to make a character solely for that reason. Smash Bros isn't tied directly to any of it's composite franchises, and it doesn't need to be 'complete' from every perspective. There's going to be characters you might expect missing, if for no other reason that there was no compelling reason (from the perspective of Sakurai & Co.) to include them. It's a crossover game, not a Pokemon spin-off.

And yeah, excluding Mewtwo would kinda suck, but it is how it is. I'm not going to let one absent character prevent me from enjoying an otherwise fantastic game.

Auride said:
Firstly, the word is number, not amount. You only use "amount" when referring to continuous quantities. We're counting characters here, not taking their combined mass.

Secondly, there's no need for more Pokemon representation, in my opinion. It's not like there's some standard that Sakurai and his team are obligated to meet. I also don't really see why Pokemon Trainer is being counted as three different representations. By each its own slot, Pokemon can actually be more fleshed out and interesting in terms of strategy.

I understand that putting in a grass starter would complete the trio (sorta), but I doubt that the effort would be put in to make a character solely for that reason. Smash Bros isn't tied directly to any of it's composite franchises, and it doesn't need to be 'complete' from every perspective. There's going to be characters you might expect missing, if for no other reason that there was no compelling reason (from the perspective of Sakurai & Co.) to include them. It's a crossover game, not a Pokemon spin-off.

And yeah, excluding Mewtwo would kinda suck, but it is how it is. I'm not going to let one absent character prevent me from enjoying an otherwise fantastic game.

But all the Pokémon have different moves. It's like counting Zelda and Sheik as the same character (OK, they technically are, but I'm talking about movesets here) because you can transform from one to the other. All of the Pokémon the Pokémon Trainer has have their own Trophies and it's not just one Trophy with all three Pokémon.

You can now sample a few tracks from the 3DS version on the main site.

One of the composers is known for work on Xenoblade Chronicles. Shulk confirmed????/??/??//???

Chaos Jackal said:

Don't overdo it.

If you guys think about each version has added roughly 12 characters more than the previous version. The N64 version has only 12 characters. Melee I think had 25 characters Brawl had I think around 36-38 characters so this version should have anywhere from 48-52 characters or possibly a few more. We could have up to 55 characters at most tops but not any more than that because that is all these 2 versions should have XD.:)

Back