Votes: 36 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Let's explore space first!

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
Yes. I want them to explore the ocean, but im also afraid of what they might find. What if what they find, isnt what they expect? I mean, the creatures down there could be worse, or more aggresive than sharks. :O Also, look at how ugly these fish are. And they're already found deep in the ocean. what else could we find down there? This?

Actually there could be a potential new energy source found in the ocean. (Underwater methane deposits) But we would need to explore the ocean more to find out if it could work for our energy needs.

Also, recently a bunch of 'rare' elements [or minerals, not sure which] have been found in the Pacific seabed. (Link: http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-07/japanese-researchers-claim-massive-rare-earths-discovery-deep-pacific-seabed ) If we keep exploring the ocean good things like this could happen.

Humanity does not need to search every nook and cranny of the Earth, I personally believe some things are best left alone despite curiousity

Card Slinger J said:
Another problem is that the deeper you go into the ocean the water pressure will make it harder to explore especially water currents effected by the area's climate. We were lucky enough to see the wreckage of the Titanic but the mythical continent known as Atlantis on the other hand that is even harder.

It's said that the Ancient Civilization of Atlantis dates back WAY before Ancient Egypt and Ancient Rome. However there's some proof that there is a connection with Ancient Egypt and Atlantis. There's a rumor that clues leading to Atlantis is hidden inside the Great Sphinx but whether If that's true is a mystery yet to be solved.

I do agree with Boddy903 that fixing our internal problems are most important right now.

You do realize that we already have the technology to visit the deepest parts in the ocean? It's not that we are unable to, the ocean is just too big, and little money is invested in reasearch.

Also, water currents are not effected by the Earth's climate..

And another thing, you do also realize that Atlantis is a fictional area made up by Plato and used in one of his stories?

About undiscovered species, there are plenty of them, but don't expect them to be big and 'awesome', they would be more like jellyfish and sea stars.

I would never be able to explore the ocean like that. Pathetically, I am terrified of things without brains, hearts or bones.

@Pokequaza
A civilization like Atlantis is fully possible.

Eveon said:
@Pokequaza
A civilization like Atlantis is fully possible.

Depends on how you put it. First of all, Atlantis is made up by Plato, as I already said, to use in one of his stories, so if we find something alike, then it is not Atlantis, but another city.

A city that sunk in the ocean? No impossible. Of course there may have been cities that have been flooded for some time, or washed away by a tsunami for example, but land does not sink in sea.

You already are looking for another city, and one that didn't sink in the ocean. A little bit pointless if you ask me, since this does not really resemble Atlastis anymore..

Gary Walsh said:
But considering NASA's getting shoved back in the dark because the U.S. government insists on burning away planet-sized wads of money to go marauding around the world, and the ESA is doomed if Europe has any more countries that go under, Mars has to wait :(. But regardless of whether or not powerful people start caring about science again or corporations take over the space gig, the oceans remain one of many final frontiers we have left to challenge to their full extents. But enough cynicism from me, it's definitely exciting stuff for a huge number of fields to be exploring the oceans. Even as far as energy goes, discoveries under the sea have been integral to the development of hydrogen-powered technology that exists today for example, among many other things, so there's a whole lot of hope.

You have to take into account the state of the world economy and it's telling us that the Space Age is over at least for now until the economy gets back on it's feet again which depends If we're lucky enough to dodge a bullet from the debt ceiling crisis that's going on right now. So does this mean NASA is going to go bankrupt now that astronauts are going to be unemployed that might be the case who knows.

I was watching a recent episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on Comedy Central and they were talking about the end of the current Space Age with the last Shuttle Launch by NASA and what cracked me up was when John Oliver was interviewing this kid dressed up like an astronaut and John asks him, "What do want to be when you grow up?" and he tells him, "Don't say astronaut". And eventually he says it and when they show a clip of Oliver witnessing the Shuttle leaving Earth Oliver is like, "Man that was awesome I want to see that again!" and everyone's reaction was like "Never again..." and they all walked away. lolz...

So now it seems as though Star Trek's motto became irrelevant as all we have left to explore that we might be able to afford is deep ocean travel but really why do that when there are more important things at stake right now? Like I dunno fix unemployment and create jobs for people who need them instead of letting politics get in the mess of things, sounds like a good idea If the Democrats and Republicans in Congress are willing to listen but instead they only care about themselves and getting elected into office than help us out sadly.

Ya. We show fix problems now instead of exploring the ocean which could possibly cause more problems. Even though learning about the ocean is interesting, we should focus on things like the economy.

I feel that most money is spent towards dumb things -- clothes, etc.

I feel that we should support ocean/space exploration and encourage it. There are so many lost secrets, things we don't know about our culture there...

123wert50 said:
I feel that most money is spent towards dumb things -- clothes, etc.

I feel that we should support ocean/space exploration and encourage it. There are so many lost secrets, things we don't know about our culture there...

So you don't where clothes.... ;p.

By "lost secrets" do you mean history that we don't know about yet?

123wert50 said:
Well, in 10-20 years, the robots may have something that makes them float up to the surface to be easily taken, if they happen to malfunction...

What if something attacks the robot, though...

What if the robots attack us.
Aliens>Water stuff
Space should be explored first. period.

Oceans should really be explored. A lot of people want to become Marine Biologists but usually they end up doing something because of the income. Not that much information of undersea life, and ocean habits have been explored. ie. Flourescent Jelly fishes have " glow-in the dark DNA " , Human scientist has extracted the DNA into a mice and made it glow, but what else is in the ocean??? EXPLORE IT!!!

BunnyBuner said:
Oceans should really be explored. A lot of people want to become Marine Biologists but usually they end up doing something because of the income. Not that much information of undersea life, and ocean habits have been explored. ie. Flourescent Jelly fishes have " glow-in the dark DNA " , Human scientist has extracted the DNA into a mice and made it glow, but what else is in the ocean??? EXPLORE IT!!!

DNA is not fluorescent, not even the DNA of fluorescent jellyfish. It are the genes within the jellyfish that make it emit a green glow under fluorescent light. Neither has the DNA been 'extracted' into a 'mice', the scientists virally infected an embryo of a mouse with the gene from the jellyfish that causes the fluorescence.

Oceans should be explored. The fact that we know more about space than we do about oceans says it all. What if Atlantis actually exists as a sunken city? (Not with people, just sunk) That would be a bigger find than Pompei, or probably many other civilizations or towns discovered in similar fashions. (Assuming that it would still be well preserved.)

This topic is getting off track, if you post please have valid reasons. Not finding Atlantis, or sea monsters or Captain Nemo's submarine.

Heck yes. We need to get down and do some exploring.
As a huge marine biology fan I'd LOVE to get to go and explore the oceans. A lot of scientist conduct coastal and abysaal explorations and research to see organisms the live along the coast, and continental shelves as well as the sea floor but not a lot of information gets gatheres on the Hadal zones. They get so deep so the pressure builds up rapidly making exploration down there very dangerous. I'm sure there are tons of species down there nobody knows about.

I've done some research on the hydrothermal vents that litter areas of the sea floor and I know a variety of bacteria, protozoans, and several fish species can hang around them and be fine. I'd absolutely love to be able to go see one up close since I'm sure not everything has been found in them all.

Of course, as others brought up, lots of land forms and mini-islands have sunk from floods and such, it would be lovely to go and see if some of those places could be found since I'm sure not EVERY area was found.

I could go on and on for a long time so I'll sum it up

Not everything that is down there has been discovered. The oceans need to be explored so these things can be found. (Very obvious :p)

Back