Shaymin-EX, Swampert-EX, Winona, and More from 'Emerald Break!' [2/13]

GadgetJax said:
Plasma Dragon said:
I know your pain, I really wanted Metagross EX FA (not to mention M Metagross EX FA) wish he was in a set and not in a box :(

Considering that there was a Gallade EX promo AND there will be a Mega Gallade EX line in Roaring Skies, it seems that just because a Pokemon is represented as a Promo EX doesn't mean that it won't ever get a FA.
Yeah I know but that does not mean they will make another one soon. (and the reason they are making one in Roaring Skies is because they did not make a mega Gallade EX and a Gallade EX together in the same box so they technically have already made a M Metagross EX and Metagross EX so I don't think they will be comming any time soon!)

Plasma Dragon said:
GadgetJax said:
Considering that there was a Gallade EX promo AND there will be a Mega Gallade EX line in Roaring Skies, it seems that just because a Pokemon is represented as a Promo EX doesn't mean that it won't ever get a FA.
Yeah I know but that does not mean they will make another one soon. (and the reason they are making one in Roaring Skies is because they did not make a mega Gallade EX and a Gallade EX together in the same box so they technically have already made a M Metagross EX and Metagross EX so I don't think they will be comming any time soon!)

Doesn't that mean that we should have gotten a M Garchomp as well..?

I think the reason is that Wally uses one. Speaking of Wally I could see him in the set too, maybe a "remake" of Wally's Training?

Metagross was a shiny though so it kind of felt like a promo card, like the alternate holos.

Metagross is being used by Steven and he's in the set, kind of surprising they didn't go with Metagross actually.

I kind of hope the new Gallade-EX is fighting type. It seems a waste to make another one so soon after the promo so a bit of differentiation wouldn't go a miss.

I am so excited about Set Up being back I got un-banned from Pokébeach to talk about it. The game is going exactly where I have wanted it to ever since they ruined my life with that HGSS-on format

I really don't like how Set Up is on an EX. Because of how pretty much every deck is going to use at least 1/2 copies of it, it's going to hit outrageous prices and be pretty much impossible to afford, leaving all the budget players with Professor Sycamore and Shauna as their only reliable draw cards. Looks like I won't be winning ever.

aww I liked being a cheep player :( hopefully they will make something good and affordable. (I know its a stretch but I always like to keep my fingers crossed).

GadgetJax said:
I really don't like how Set Up is on an EX. Because of how pretty much every deck is going to use at least 1/2 copies of it, it's going to hit outrageous prices and be pretty much impossible to afford, leaving all the budget players with Professor Sycamore and Shauna as their only reliable draw cards. Looks like I won't be winning ever.

This is such a lie (sorry jax)

I mean look at Jirachi, the full art version only ever hit like 10 bucks, and it was also considered a staple at one point.

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
GadgetJax said:

This is such a lie (sorry jax)

I mean look at Jirachi, the full art version only ever hit like 10 bucks, and it was also considered a staple at one point.

The reason Jirachi isn't as expensive because it is a bonus, not a required engine.

If we're going off of XY-on for our next format, we have some pretty ugly draw cards. Sycamore is still great as a 3/4-of, but Shauna is a little underwhelming. Birch is too risky for the benefit you COULD get, Tierno isn't strong enough as a Supporter, Battle Reporter is a weaker Copycat, Aqua/Magma Grunt is deck specific(and even then it's just 'okay'), and Teammates only works during the late-game.

So, in general, Shaymin is really the only way to get consistent draw at the beginning game. All you have to do is throw it down, and you can draw upwards to 2-3 cards on average, sometimes even 4. And it ISN'T your supporter for the turn. Also, Jirachi was released in a set with just 5 EX's, meaning the chance of pulling it was about 1/5 if your pack has an EX. Shaymin, on the other hand, is in a set with ELEVEN EX's, counting Megas. Not only that, but Jirachi is in a format that has Colress, N, and Skyla, in addition to the previously mentioned Shauna and Sycamore.

The Full art Jirachi EX version is 15-22$ on ebay and troll and toad. If there is a full art of the Shaymin EX i think it would be more then $20 because it can attack for colorless energy and be used multiple times where Jirachi EX can only be used that one time in decks that dont run scoop up cyclone or super scoop up.

Not to say it will happen, but one way that the Shaymin EX price would go down is if they ended up releaseing it a month or so later in a tin with different artwork.

I was thinking, since this set is supposed to have a hoard of dragon type Pokemon, is there any chance that Tyrunt/Tyrantrum as a dragon type would be part of it?

^Maybe, but the set itself also opens up the possibilities for a Colorless Masquerain, a second Water Surskit, a Colorless Butterfree, and many more Flying types to be depicted as Colorless. It also opens up a possibly of another Grass Scizor. For example, Grass Scyther and Grass Scizor could represent Bug, whilst Colorless Scyther and Metal Scizor could be used to represent their Flying and Steel typings respectively. I can see Colorless Dragonite, Colorless Altaria, and Colorless Salamence reappearing again solely for the purposes of representing the Flying type. I can just picture a Colorless Charizard being made in six to nine months time.

I wouldn't mind a colorless Charizard. Charmander and Charmeleon couldn't be colorless but they could be given at least one colorless attack.

How about colorless versions of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres? I think that would make a lot of sense as about half of Lugia's cards are colorless and there has even been a colorless Ho-oh, albeit all the way back in Neo Revelations.

I would also love to see a water Surskit that can be reverse holo, it's one of the few cards in my live card dex that isn't shiny (along with Omanyte and Omastar as fighting and the aforementioned colorless Ho-oh). In many ways I would almost prefer Pokemon to be colorless if they have never been before, like Scyther or Butterfree. There have been quiet a few Dragonite, Altaria, and Salamence though of course I realize all of that was pre-Dragons Exalted/Vault.

Pikachu6319 said:
I wouldn't mind a colorless Charizard.

How about colorless versions of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres?

I would almost prefer Pokemon to be colorless if they have never been before, like Scyther or Butterfree

cef.jpg

It. doesn't. make. any sense. Isn't that why they're called 'Colorless'?

GadgetJax said:
It. doesn't. make. any sense. Isn't that why they're called 'Colorless'?

I don't really get what you mean here. Many of these Pokemon have really never gotten the chance to show their Flying type in the TCG before because alternate typings have always been prioritized over Colorless. Now that we have a set with its whole theme being focused on Flying types, it's basically the perfect time to put some out there.

There's no need to get worked up over others having different preferences!

Regardless, I actually like the idea of having more colorless Pokemon. It means every deck can include them. Pre-releases should turn out to be pretty fun.

This set looks amazing. I'm loving all the colorless/normal Pokemon. If more colorless are coming, I may just get back into Pokemon cards.

I realize colorless Pokemon aren't quiet as...shall we say critical as those Pokemon that are of more specific types. On the other hand I have always viewed colorless Pokemon as cards that can go into any deck because of their versatility, they don't care what kind of energy they get. True they don't get any weakness advantage but most Pokemon are not resistant to them either. It's just straight up damage, which is basically what happens in a lot of instances. Yes electric will be strong against about half of them (with fighting being strong against most of the other half) but water types have to worry about the same thing too, and we won't even get into the fact that pretty much all fire types worry about water.

Think about this though, in this regard dragons are no better than colorless, in fact can be considered worse. RIght now they are strong against their own type only, and are weak (for now) to themselves and to fairies. Energy wise they are worse because they want at least two different types of energy (fire/water for Salamence, fighting/steel for Haxorus, for example) and have no energy of their own yet. Of course there is double dragon energy but with it not being revealed yet we have no way of knowing how helpful this really is. Meanwhile the colorless Pokemon don't worry about what they're running with. Psychic, water, grass...it's all the same to them.

I don't know necessarily if this should be overdone, but some colorless Pokemon could easily get a similar ability that Lucario had, as well as the alternate (and POP) Rotoms. Something like a Colorless Xatu with an ability that reads "Once per turn, before you attack, you may use this power. Xatu's type is psychic until the end of your turn." That way for attacking purposes any benefits still apply but afterwards it's colorless. I mean even a psychic Xatu or a water Pelipper shares the same weaknesses as if it were flying, so why not? I think this would be great on a colorless Butterfree, and then grass type Caterpie/Metapod with colorless attacks.

I know those from a competitive perspective may view colorless as a waste of time and of course the company has to consider that, but the company also has to consider the collector aspect, and the fact is there are people who are more likely to collect an all new type of Xatu, Shaymin, or whatever than to get yet a new version of the same type. Then of course there are people who collect regardless, but that's not relevant here. The point is that they have to consider the collector as well as the player, regardless of whether they be casual or competitive.

I just realized something... You can't use Mega Turbo onto Primal Groudon or Kyogre, because they're not technically Mega Evolutions. D: Realizing that literally just ruined my day.

Anyway, I really love a lot of these new cards. Shaymin is a ridiculous draw card that I think will see tons of play. Winona is of course great in conjunction with it, as you can search for Rayquaza parts, along with Shaymin to draw cards. I feel like Skyfield will be great with Ninetales, so you don't lose your extra Pokemon in play. Even if it does get countered, you can just discard Shaymins or damaged Pokemon. That Delta Wild Ancient Trait seems like it would be very useful. That's a lot of decks you're taking less damage from. Delta Prize could be really good, but I think it's potential may be wasted on really awful Pokemon.

Back