News September's SM4 Set: 'The Awoken Hero' and 'The Transdimensional Beast'

Discussion in 'Pokémon Trading Card Game' started by Water Pokémon Master, Jun 6, 2017.

1. TheBossBlastoise I rule the PokeSea
    TheBossBlastoise

there is it says:
    Alolan Marowak – Fire – HP100
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Cubone

[.] Fire Dance: Choose a number of [R] Energy from your discard pile equal to the number of Energy attached to your opponent’s Pokemon. Then, attach them to your Pokemon in any way you like.

[R][R][C] Burning Bonemerang: 70x damage. Flip 2 coins. This attack does 70 damage times the number of heads. If you flip at least 1 heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Burned.

Weakness: Water (x2)
    Resistance: none
    Retreat: 2

2. Swampert Full Art #GROOKEYGANG
    Swampert Full Art

Looks pretty decent, can't wait for the Full Arts to leak

3. Alakazam90125 Aspiring Trainer
    Alakazam90125

Interesting new cards:
    Altaria- Wow it can make dragon decks pretty decent! Throw in a Victini and in couple of turns you can set up your bench with Kommo-o GX! Not too great thougj
    Alolan Marowak- Has an extremely good free attack, often do more than Nitro Tank GX! Really good accleration!
    Magikarp- Hands down best Magikarp ever. Not saying it´s good, but it has a usable attack and an extremely good ability that makes it invincible to bench damage- is an extremely good Magikarp for Expanded Gyarados because they cant just Koko/Trev Break and kill all your Magikarps.
    Piloswine- Has a lot of HP!
    Minccino- Not a bad attack for one colorless on a stage 1! Either 80 damage or 2 cards from discard to hand!

Overall, it seems like a very bad set though.

4. HouchinsDJ Aspiring Trainer
    HouchinsDJ

Based off of what I'm seeing here, this set looks to be the weakest from the Sun and Moon era so far, but who knows, maybe some huge new deck will come out of this set.

I'm more excited for Shining Legends now.

5. crystal_pidgeot Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
    crystal_pidgeot

There hasn't ever been a good Staraptor card. Was really looking forward to it too.

RealSlim likes this.
  6. thewayne012 Aspiring Trainer
    thewayne012

to me the best none GX pokemon are alolan Marowak and mismagius

7. acerizzo13 Reniart Gniripsa
    acerizzo13

Honestly, I don't think I'd ever sleep on a cacturne, amirite XD

Rooie and Yog like this.
  8. Seng vang Svang20
    Seng vang

So many good cards, the meta is going to be different again. I am very excited for the Ultra beast taking extra prize card.

9. GekkisaiDaiNi The Sharp Alien
    GekkisaiDaiNi

Um where are you getting the extra prize thing?

10. PlatinumDude Aspiring Trainer
    PlatinumDude

He's talking about Kartana, which straight-up lets you take a prize with (almost) no strings attached.

11. GekkisaiDaiNi The Sharp Alien
    GekkisaiDaiNi

Oh OK I thought he meant they all took an extra prize when they got a KO

12. PlatinumDude Aspiring Trainer
    PlatinumDude

Alolan Marowak evolves from regular Cubone. All regular Cubone in Alola evolve into Alolan Marowak regardless of origin (whether they were caught in Alola's Wela Volcano Park or transferred from previous games).

13. CrazyIvan Aspiring Trainer
    CrazyIvan

Pretty sure he's talking about Guzzlord's GX attack.

Also, I'm not sure why many people are saying this is a bad set. I see lots of potential in many cards here.
    • Cacturne's potential 120 for G with a Choice Band could be pretty strong in any deck running Grass energy.
    • Alolan Marowak's Fire Dance is in most situations just a straight up stronger version of Turtonator's GX attack.
    • Gorgeist basically only needs some sort of Item card similar to Eco-Arm to be printed to see play.
    • Buzzwole-GX is just a strong card. With some extra support it could easily become a deck.
    • Registeel is obviously just going to be strong especially considering the amount of Ralts and Alolan Vulpix floating around.
    • Kartana-GX's ability and GX are both very strong and with a bit or support could also be a decent attacker.
    • Regigigas could just be played with Garbotoxin to cancel it's ability and with some non-ability acceleration you could have a 180 HP Pokémon capable of doing 190 damage a turn that only gives up one prize. Even if it turns out to be too many energy to be viable it's still potentially a really strong wall card.
    • Cincinno could see the return of a hammers deck. Anyone who's played in the time of Sableye Junk Hunt will know what this can be like.
    • Silvally-GX is another just strong card that has a lot of potential partners to be played with.
    • Counter Catcher is likely to see a decent amount of play, especially in slower decks.
    • Gladion has pretty decent potential as a one-of card. It let's get 1 of potentially up to 6 guaranteed cards and can be re-used repeatedly when you draw it as a prize again.
    • Kakuna could potentially make Evolutions Beedrill playable as several people have pointed out, but will probably need some testing.
    • Gyarados-GX while it's attacks aren't overly great with the help of Aqua Patch it could be decent and the GX attack is ridiculous against decks such as Darkrai.
    • Milotic could potentially make Decidueye-GX playable again. Simply Feather Arrow your opponent's Pokémon that they've put the most resources into and Mercy to get rid of it. Do this for a few turns then use all extra time to set-up yourself.
    • Mismagius would be a decent 1-1 in any deck running Psychic energies.
    • Not really sure sure about Nihilego-GX as it's attacks being PPP might make it a bit too hard to use. Could maybe work with Metagross-GX, but otherwise with some more support could be a strong card in the future.
    • I'm almost certain Guzzlord-GX will work as a finisher in a dark deck. Being able to take potentially 4 prizes seems too good to pass up.
    • Altaria could see some play if a good enough Dragon Pokémon ever is released.
    • I'm not such a huge fan of the card, but in certain decks Lusamine can be pretty strong.
    • Ravaged Plains has potential, being able to deal extra damage is always good.
    • Counter Energy also has potential for slower decks.
    There's a few other cards that have some Abilities and attacks that with a bit of a push might be able to work, but I think I've listed the main ones. Seems like the set has quite a bit going on if you use a little imagination.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  14. Jpkemperor Deck Builder and Researcher
    Jpkemperor

You can always just use Revitalizer, that effectively makes recovery easier than it is with Greninja decks.

15. acerizzo13 Reniart Gniripsa
    acerizzo13

TIL the same thing twice. Thanks mate

16. BraviaryBoi Anonymus
    BraviaryBoi

lol crawdaunts actually busted

17. Vitiel Mush. Up!
    Vitiel

It feels like it might actually be a good idea to Super Rod your Kakuna back to the deck, then use Revitalizer for Beedrill.

BugTrainer likes this.
  18. professor layton Aspiring Trainer
    professor layton

I think this set will be the weakest one from Sun/Moon. Disappointed honestly

19. BugTrainer Aspiring Trainer
    BugTrainer

All we need now is a Beedrill GX.... I love attack effects that help evolution Pokemon! Also if we get any good stage 2 Dragon Pokemon Altaria's attack could be really fun!!

RealSlim likes this.
  20. TiaF Aspiring Trainer
    TiaF

I think depending on how the Meta evolves, Chimecho could be super annoying for some decks, there are a lot of ability pokemon out there.

Edit:

Also, Kartana-GX ruins the seven prize game and has an ability that will surely sway a lot of matchups or at least have an effect on deck building.

I quite like Nihilego-GX. It'll be interesting to see if it gets fit into decks, as a potential stall/pluspower Late game I can see it making a difference just with its ability. GX attack is hard to comment on given the comeback cards also in the set. Will have to wait and see.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?