News September's SM4 Set: 'The Awoken Hero' and 'The Transdimensional Beast'

CrazyIvan

Aspiring Trainer
He's talking about Kartana, which straight-up lets you take a prize with (almost) no strings attached.
Pretty sure he's talking about Guzzlord's GX attack.

Also, I'm not sure why many people are saying this is a bad set. I see lots of potential in many cards here.
  • Cacturne's potential 120 for G with a Choice Band could be pretty strong in any deck running Grass energy.
  • Alolan Marowak's Fire Dance is in most situations just a straight up stronger version of Turtonator's GX attack.
  • Gorgeist basically only needs some sort of Item card similar to Eco-Arm to be printed to see play.
  • Buzzwole-GX is just a strong card. With some extra support it could easily become a deck.
  • Registeel is obviously just going to be strong especially considering the amount of Ralts and Alolan Vulpix floating around.
  • Kartana-GX's ability and GX are both very strong and with a bit or support could also be a decent attacker.
  • Regigigas could just be played with Garbotoxin to cancel it's ability and with some non-ability acceleration you could have a 180 HP Pokémon capable of doing 190 damage a turn that only gives up one prize. Even if it turns out to be too many energy to be viable it's still potentially a really strong wall card.
  • Cincinno could see the return of a hammers deck. Anyone who's played in the time of Sableye Junk Hunt will know what this can be like.
  • Silvally-GX is another just strong card that has a lot of potential partners to be played with.
  • Counter Catcher is likely to see a decent amount of play, especially in slower decks.
  • Gladion has pretty decent potential as a one-of card. It let's get 1 of potentially up to 6 guaranteed cards and can be re-used repeatedly when you draw it as a prize again.
  • Kakuna could potentially make Evolutions Beedrill playable as several people have pointed out, but will probably need some testing.
  • Gyarados-GX while it's attacks aren't overly great with the help of Aqua Patch it could be decent and the GX attack is ridiculous against decks such as Darkrai.
  • Milotic could potentially make Decidueye-GX playable again. Simply Feather Arrow your opponent's Pokémon that they've put the most resources into and Mercy to get rid of it. Do this for a few turns then use all extra time to set-up yourself.
  • Mismagius would be a decent 1-1 in any deck running Psychic energies.
  • Not really sure sure about Nihilego-GX as it's attacks being PPP might make it a bit too hard to use. Could maybe work with Metagross-GX, but otherwise with some more support could be a strong card in the future.
  • I'm almost certain Guzzlord-GX will work as a finisher in a dark deck. Being able to take potentially 4 prizes seems too good to pass up.
  • Altaria could see some play if a good enough Dragon Pokémon ever is released.
  • I'm not such a huge fan of the card, but in certain decks Lusamine can be pretty strong.
  • Ravaged Plains has potential, being able to deal extra damage is always good.
  • Counter Energy also has potential for slower decks.
There's a few other cards that have some Abilities and attacks that with a bit of a push might be able to work, but I think I've listed the main ones. Seems like the set has quite a bit going on if you use a little imagination.

Last edited:

Jpkemperor

Deck Builder and Researcher
Also I'm glad to see Kakuna have its own Water Duplicates, but I think it'd be tough going to make a deck around EVO Beedrill work even with it. You'd have to keep streaming out Beedrills as they got KO'd; thankfully there's plenty of ways to shove your Kakunas/Beedrills back in the deck for more Kakuna Duplicates, but that seems clunky at face value. You'd also have the same fear as Passimian/Mew with prizing your bees.

You can always just use Revitalizer, that effectively makes recovery easier than it is with Greninja decks.

acerizzo13

Reniart Gniripsa
Alolan Marowak evolves from regular Cubone. All regular Cubone in Alola evolve into Alolan Marowak regardless of origin (whether they were caught in Alola's Wela Volcano Park or transferred from previous games).
TIL the same thing twice. Thanks mate

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
You can always just use Revitalizer, that effectively makes recovery easier than it is with Greninja decks.
It feels like it might actually be a good idea to Super Rod your Kakuna back to the deck, then use Revitalizer for Beedrill.

BugTrainer

Aspiring Trainer
All we need now is a Beedrill GX.... I love attack effects that help evolution Pokemon! Also if we get any good stage 2 Dragon Pokemon Altaria's attack could be really fun!!

TiaF

Aspiring Trainer
I think depending on how the Meta evolves, Chimecho could be super annoying for some decks, there are a lot of ability pokemon out there.

Edit:

Also, Kartana-GX ruins the seven prize game and has an ability that will surely sway a lot of matchups or at least have an effect on deck building.

I quite like Nihilego-GX. It'll be interesting to see if it gets fit into decks, as a potential stall/pluspower Late game I can see it making a difference just with its ability. GX attack is hard to comment on given the comeback cards also in the set. Will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Hitmonchanning

Aspiring Trainer
Misimagius looks very cool. Will definitely make a deck around it. Also Gengar looks like a good Gardevoir-GX disruptor! Putting damage for each energy at least SOUNDS cool. The Cincinno looks really funny and it might actually work!! Lol. I also think its pretty cool that you can just take a prize card with Kartana-GX.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I think this set will be the weakest one from Sun/Moon. Disappointed honestly

SM base is worse than this set with FOGP removed honestly. Lurantis and Decidueye are both dead, Tauros is wayyy weaker with choice band and tool removal back in the game and Lapras is hard to play with less items in the meta (though still a decent card).

I guess you still have SR ultras and whatnot for chase cards but in terms of what the set actually provides play-wise, it started off as a very solid set especially compared to what released right before it, but Guardians/BUS both make it feel weak by comparison.

Mega Altaria

Hard-hitting Bug
I just noticed that the Altaria can grab stage 2 dragons. So they want us to use it with Kommo-o. Which gives a good reason to use Counter Energy in a deck, even tho it's a bad card. So 3 bad cards will make an ok-ish deck, that somehow works.