XY RIP Generation 4 / 5 Wi-Fi (Termination of Nintendo Wi-Fi connection service)

RE: RIP Generation 4/5 Wi-Fi (Termination of Nintendo Wi-Fi connection service)

8bitCelebi said:
So what will happen to the WiFi Plaza in Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver? As pointless as it is, It was one of my favorite features from Gen 4.

It'll die. :( That's one of the things I plan on doing on the last day. Mario Kart DS/Wii, Random Matchup, and Wi-Fi Plaza.

Is it possible to use a private server?

That's the question on everybody's mind, haha. I think it'd be possible to run a custom server, but it'd probably require a good amount of reverse engineering, possibly too much to be done by then. :( And even if you do somehow get a fully-functioning server going (like the custom track servers for Mario Kart Wii, or the custom GTS servers for Pokemon), there's still the icky problem of verification--from what I've been hearing, both Mario Kart and Pokecheck/others rely on Nintendo's servers in some regard. Mario Kart uses them for matchmaking, while Pokemon apparently NEEDS to connect to the official servers for a handshake thing before it can deviate to private servers. The custom Mario Kart track community is already attempting to figure something out, but Pokecheck says it's very likely they won't be able to get 4th/5th gen services working again.

Anyway, those are two sizable communities who want their thing very much alive. The amount of people who want to use the Wi-Fi Plaza is considerably smaller, unfortunately. :(

See what they are doing does not make a whole lot of sense. Why make something if you are going to disconnect it years later? In X/Y they will disconnect in roughly 5 years from now. What they are doing does not make sense because 1. People still use these modes every hour of every day and 2. These modes were invented and MEANT for this use of the Wi-Fi. Why not combine this into one bigg connection where ALL games use the exact connection of play? All they have to do is load these games onto the gen 6 connection so this way they can still use these features. It can't be that hard.:)

This makes it impossible to 100% complete Pokémon BW2 without cheats and Digimon Dawn/Dusk's last mission can't be done at all.

Blob55 said:
This makes it impossible to 100% complete Pokémon BW2 without cheats and Digimon Dawn/Dusk's last mission can't be done at all.

I don't think so. I completed the Dex in W2 from my previous games.

From what I understand you can still trade locally and the transfer methods don't require WiFi.
So you can still trade in version exclusives if you have 2 DS and both versions or a friend who you can get together with.

Blob55 said:

Well, not impossible. If you have two DS systems and both Black 2 and White 2 Versions, you can complete everything. Even the key systems to unlock White Forest/Black City and Registeel/Regice.

EDIT: Greninja'd by LLR! :O

If you restart all your games completely though it will be impossible cause not all the legendary Pokemon can be obtained unless you have HG or SS for 4th gen and also D/P/PL. If you only have D/P/PL you cannot complete your dex even with your 3rd gen games if you have those. You need HG/SS and then you can though.:)

EDIT: Almost forgot. You can't get Darkrai Shaymin and Arceus if you fully restar all your games though.:)

xxashxx said:
If you restart all your games completely though it will be impossible cause not all the legendary Pokemon can be obtained unless you have HG or SS for 4th gen and also D/P/PL. If you only have D/P/PL you cannot complete your dex even with your 3rd gen games if you have those. You need HG/SS and then you can though.:)

EDIT: Almost forgot. You can't get Darkrai Shaymin and Arceus if you fully restar all your games though.:)

I transferred my Rayquaza, Lugia and Kyogre from my 3rd gen games into my W2. I admit it was a pain...

Why do you have to have HG/SS?

Event legendaries don't count in the National dex. I was missing a lot of them and I still got the Shiny Charm for completing the National Dex.

If you don't have any of the 3rd gen games you will need HG/SS to obtain the legends. They are the only versions that have 90% of the legendary Pokemon in the games XD.:)

xxashxx said:
If you don't have any of the 3rd gen games you will need HG/SS to obtain the legends. They are the only versions that have 90% of the legendary Pokemon in the games XD.:)
that's true. It's also a lot easier to get Chicorita, Cyndaquil and Tododile in them.

This means no more Poke-Check. Excuse me while I run off and go check a 6 IV ditto of every different nature for breeding.

Actually they are formatting PokeCheck for gen 6. Take a look at Project Pokemon's main page. Mods Please don't burn me for this cause I am trying to help and I did not possess a link. Thanks XD.:)

EDIT: Found it. According to the Project Pokemon staff Pokecheck will support gen 6 by the end of this month XD if not done already.:)

Welp, it’s gone, so time to post this:

I’ve been logging down my exploits in the last days of Nintendo WFC, mostly for fun. I now present to you a long, potentially boring, self-centered, novelized version of those logs:

Chariblaze and the End of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

Chapter 1: Shock, and planning

Overdramatization and self-centeredness in 3, 2, 1…

I will never forget the day: February 27th, 2014, the day the world learned of the imminent death of the beloved, beleaguered Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service* on the following May 20th. This was a day full of shock, anger, and sadness for many (with a few “Huh? Nintendo did online on the DS?”’s thrown in for good measure). It meant the end of Mario Kart DS and Wii. It meant the end for Smash Bros. online and Mario Strikers. The end of Animal Crossing, Mega Man Star Force, Metroid Prime Hunters, and a ton of other games’ online functions (a full list of games affected in North America can be found here). But of course, it also meant the end of what we're all here for: Pokemon. All fourth and fifth generation games, bam, no more online services after 5/20. Poof. And only 23 months after the launch of BW2 in Japan, too!

*Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is the service used to connect all DS and Wii games to the Internet for purposes of game-playing. The shutdown did not 3DS and Wii U online functions in any way; those systems connect to the newer Nintendo Network instead. It also did not affect the Wii and DSi Shops, or paid DLC.

For me, this hit a bit hard. One of my longtime friends, one I haven’t been seeing a lot of lately, admittedly, had suddenly contracted a fatal illness and had three months to live. But boy, those three months were not going to be wasted. After absorbing in all the various reactions from the gaming community, I set about planning. Planning a big going-out-forever Wi-Fi bash. The first thing I did was check my collection of DS and Wii games for any and all Wi-Fi connection possibilities. I ended up coming up with this list:

• Goldeneye 007 -- 10 online matches
  • Mario Kart Wii -- 10 online matches with official tracks, 10 on custom, a number with the PB community
  • Tetris Party Deluxe -- 10 online matches
  • Wii Music -- Something!
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass -- Find someone to play some matches with!
  • Mario Kart DS -- 15 online matches! + Some with PB community
  • Mario Vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem -- Download highly rated stages
  • Mega Man Star Force 1 + 2 + 3 -- 10 online matches in all three + Max out Brotherbands + A number with the PB community
  • Picross DS -- Download highly rated stages
  • Pokemon
    • Diamond -- 5 GTS trades, 5 online matches, 5 trades with PB community
    • Platinum -- Same as Diamond, plus 2 sessions in the Wi-Fi Plaza and really neat Battle Videos
    • Heartgold -- Same as Platinum, but with more Wi-Fi Plaza sessions, and some Battle Frontier multi battles
    • Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky -- 7 online missions
  • WarioWare D.I.Y. -- Download highly rated microgames
  • Dr. Mario Online Rx -- 10 online matches
  • Excitebike World Rally -- 3 online matches

Seemed pretty good to me. But then I stumbled onto a tweet along the lines of “Make sure you download those Picross 3D puzzles before they’re gone forever”. And then it clicked: Man, some of these developers have put tons of content on Wi-Fi--shut it down, and all that stuff is gone for good (ahem, unless its on-cartridge stuff, in which you can technically hack your games with an AR, but who wants to do that?). So, beyond what I own, what game content am I going to miss out forever on? I went through the full list, and found a few more games:

• Spectrobes 1 & 2
  • Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
  • Picross 3D
  • DS Professor Laytons
  • Dragon Quest IX

Spectrobes: After some attempts and research, I found that Disney’s own service that provided the content, DGamer, had shut down the last July or so. Pity.

GTA: Chinatown Wars’s online functions were a bit of a mystery. Apparently you could do weapon trading and stuff, which was all right, but even after asking around I never really got a definitive “There are missions in this game that will be inaccessible without Wi-Fi”. Still, with a bit more limited research I found that the other online content was basically Flash games a la the Dream World. You could apparently earn money, and special costumes. After a bit of decisionmaking (including the discovery of its going price of $18) I decided against it--it’s a great game from what I hear, but a costume is no mission. Update: Someone finally responded to my thread on GTA Forums. You apparently lose out on two missions, each of which take about 5 minutes to complete according to YouTube videos.

That left Picross 3D, Professor Layton, and Dragon Quest IX. Picross was an obvious choice to get--I loved the demo I played a while back, and I could get it for 6 bucks. For Dragon Quest IX, I didn’t even know there was online-exclusive stuff--52 whole quests! You can apparently just connect with someone locally who has already downloaded the missions to receive them yourself, but there was no way I was risking that on a big, highly acclaimed RPG--bought. Professor Layton was quite a bit harder to convince me of. Like Dragon Quest, there are tons of online-exclusive puzzles in each game--52 per, in fact (update: not in fact, the number is actually 33). But man, it was going to cost $60 to get the full set. I decided on starting with Curious Village, and going from there.

So anyway, blah blah blah, what about Pokemon? My initial plans were pretty modest with the 4th gen games, but then it hit me: What if there was a stupid medal in BW2 involving online play that’s going to be basically impossible to get after 5/20? It sure as heck happened with the Dream World (100 Pokemon caught in the Entralink! After barely any time in the Dream World prior to the announcement of its closure last July, I just barely made that by the shutdown date in December). So I go to a medal guide, and lo and behold, there’s one shiny medal staring me in the face: 32 people registered in the Pal Pad. Now, it’s entirely possible to get this medal now that services are shut down, but I challenge you to find 32 BW/BW2 players that have connected to Wi-Fi once and are willing to interact with you in real-life. So all right, one little task--surely my Pal Pad was full from all the trading I had done. I was mortified to find I had ONE FC registered: [member]King Arceus[/member]’s, from a time when we trade-evolved our Karrablast and Shelmet early after release. It was actually Black 1 that I had done all the trading in--I have like 26 codes registered! And so I set out on my main quest: Find 32 people in the world who are willing to get on Wi-Fi in a 5th gen game with me, within the heat of the already-established X/Y.

Chapter 2: Home turf

Man, was this going to be a task. My first thought was to make a thread here on PB, asking people to get on Wi-Fi with me (no, I didn’t revive my old thread). But of course, you need bait--so I decided to offer up my rather rusty RNGing skills. Surely I could get some FCs that way.

While waiting for responses I came up with another idea--register the FCs of the three other 5th Gen games I have for some reason. Boom, hit four people total.

The first request I got was by the venerable [member]Ka$h Money[/member]. And boy, he wanted a doozy--female Cyndaquil with a specific Hidden Power type and nature, and then on top of that, shiny. We’re going to come back to Ka$h later, as I ignored his request until I could get my RNGing skills back up to a reasonable degree.

The next person to contact me was the awesome [member]Trainerhan1[/member]. He decided he wanted to go after the medal, too, so instead of asking for an RNG, he simply asked to exchange FCs with my multiple and his multiple games. A bunch of profile comments later, and bam, I have two more FCs. He got two as well, though he was supposed to get three. Had a little glitch, see. We later met up and registered the last game, and we had a battle: My party of a Lv. 100 Emboar, 50’s Swanna, and Lv. 1 Magikarp, versus his Lv. 100 Serperior. Through repeated Protects, Leech Seeds, and Leftovers, he got the better of me and won--but I still think it came down the last critical hit his Serperior got on my Emboar--Blaze would have totally kicked in if it weren’t for that!

So, I’m now up to six. And then the requests stopped. “What now?” I thought. The answer was clear: PB may have a fairly bustling X/Y Wi-Fi community, but past gen Wi-Fi has been dead for sometime. Time to jump ship!

Chapter 3: Enemy Serebii’s Base

And to the seas of Serebii I went. They have an interesting set-up--individual mega threads for specific things like items, RNG, and dex trades, and then one thread for each evolutionary family. I subscribed to pretty much all of it so I’d get whatever easy trades might come in.

So I sent out a bunch of PMs in hope of some response, and all of them were! The first was by Gall. He initially wanted a Chikorita, but he notified me in his response that he had received it, though he now wanted Kanto and Sinnoh starters. Who has two thumbs and access to pretty much any Pokemon ever? This guy! It was a bit of work, breeding all the starters in my Gen IV games and then transferring them to Gen V, but I finally finished, traded them to him, and went on my merry way, one FC richer. I didn’t really care about not getting anything in return--FCs were pretty much all I wanted, or so I thought…

Reponse #2 came from MezzyMuffin. She wanted a Registeel to get Regigigas in BW2. Now, Registeel just happens to be the one Regi I still have access to in my Emerald--the others were accidentally deleted at some point, I guess (I hope to bring some more in from Sapphire. Someday…). So I happily cloned one, sent six Pokemon to HG, sent Registeel to B2, and then traded it off… in exchange for a Female Dratini with its Hidden Ability! Score! ...Unfortunately, I doubt that Registeel went well for her, as you apparently need one caught in BW2 for the thing to work (update: it worked fine, someone else who said otherwise to me was lying). Whoops!

Third response: Phoenixx13. She just wanted a Swinub/Piloswine, that’s all. Embarrassingly, I hopped on Wi-Fi thinking I had one in my PC, but nope! Had to go capture that fast! It was with this trade that I started a new custom: Most people don’t really like taking Pokemon for free (unless it’s a giveaway, more on that later), so I decided to ask for something frivolous-but-still-sorta-useful: A Full Restore. In later trades I changed this to the more expensive vitamins. Fun.

PM #6 was responded to by cyclo195. This was it--he wanted a shiny Tepig. I finally had to break out the RNG gear, and relearn the stuff I had forgotten… with breeding, no less. It took me a good 7 tries, but I finally hatched one. Learned a lot of nuances to RNG in the process, so this was good. In return I got a DWF Stantler. After looking at cyclo’s trade area, though, I found out he uses AR--nope nope nope nope! Released

My seventh PM was responded to by Atreyu Poor, poor, Atreyu. He’s a nice guy and all, but MAN, did I waste a lot of time here. He wanted someone to evolve some Pokemon by trading--easy, right? Well, after probably an hour of failing to connect and tons of back and forth for troubleshooting, I finally found the issue. When he was referring to the Union Room in his PMs, I thought that’s just what he called the Wi-Fi Club. Turns out not! So he finally gets on Wi-Fi, only for his connection to drop and him to tell me we’d have to do this later. I might have obliged if things had happened sooner, but man, I had to cut my losses. This started me on denying certain things if they were just too crazy--I normally don’t have limits when it comes to patience in trading, but geez. Props to Atreyu for having tons of patience, though.

PM #... something, I’ve lost count, came back from Choirs. This was my first encounter with an overeager 6th Gen trader who posted in the 5th Gen forums. Whoops!

Now Zanderset, Zanderset is my bro. He wanted evolutionary trades--a LOT of evolutionary trades. I hopped on Wi-Fi and helped out. We finished in about 30 minutes. I didn’t get anything in return (beyond the dex entries, which were actually quite useful in my quest to complete a National Dex for the first time), but man was this guy a joy to trade with. Muted mic, fast reactions when trading new stuff, a friendly demeanor, the works. Heck, he even came to me later asking for a few other Pokemon. I bred him a Turtwig, and got a DWF Natu in return. I probably would have declined this trade normally since I already had his FC, but for Zanderset, anything. :D

BONUS: Did you know you can’t set a custom avatar on Serebii? I sure didn’t! Nice that they have a library of avvys to pick from, though. I chose Registeel since I was in the midst of that trade when I changed my avvy. :D

Chapter 4: Nations Beyond the Sea

Serebii wasn’t the only place I went--oh no, I wanted the works. After a bit of Googling of Pokemon forums, I found my picks (incidentally, we [PB] seem to be above Gym in the general Google results--EAT IT!). Neoseeker was active, but way too hardcore. Project Pokemon was similarly hardcore, but dead. Bulbagarden’s 5th gen Wi-Fi section was dead in general. PokeCommunity was interesting: They have relegated all 4th and 5th gen trading to one thread. And unlike most Trade Now threads, they have traders delete their posts after finishing the trade--makes it look nice and neat! I found someone who wanted a shiny Torchic, but they already had it by the time they responded. :/

So that leaves us with Marriland! Marriland’s section was fairly casual, fairly active, and fairly friendly--perfect! I got in a few trades there:

1) My first post, actually, was in toniod90’s Heracross thread. I said I could get him one, but that it wasn’t too hard to catch one in the wild. Reponse? “I have white 2” Wooooo did I read those Bulbapedia tables wrong. But I traded him a Heracross, and everyone was happy.

2) Traded Aaron2114 a set of Kanto starters. He wanted another set for his brother, and said he could get his brother to trade with me directly so I’d get another FC, which I agreed to at first… but then I found out getting the brother online might be harder than its worth. TERMINATED.

And finally, I traded Deminian a shiny Tropius. I found an oddity (er, mechanic) in RNG/shiny generation I wasn’t expecting: Demenian seemed to want to be able to nickname his shiny, which would only be possible if I give him the egg. So after verifying that I’d gotten my hands on a shiny egg, I loaded the save I had right before it hatched, traded it from my RNG game Black 1 to the game-that-needs-FCs Black 2, hatched it there to make sure everything was right, and… not shiny! Wha…? I quickly traded it back to Black 1 and made sure things were fine, which they were. I didn’t know why that happened, as I would have thought everything with the egg would have been determined after claiming it. Guess not! (Update: Yeah, it looks like eggs are given a random number, and if that number matches your secret ID, it’s shiny. You could have the same exact egg in a different game, and because that game has a different secret ID, no shiny.)

Chapter 5: Aliens Approach

All right, so if you’re keeping track (which is impossible--lots of this story isn’t in chronological order), I’m up to like 10 or 11 FCs at this point. Pretty good, pretty good… but I still need 20 more. What to do, what to do… Well, up to this point, I’d been trying to get into the hyperactive subreddit, /r/pokemontrades. But it all seemed so high-end, and most of the stuff was 6th Gen. Not good for me (though I did find one trade, see next chapter). So, let’s go look at the family:

/r/blackmarketpokemon -- Holy crap it’s everything I hate get it away get it away get it AWAY!

/r/pokemonexchange -- I have never felt so dirty in a trading community. I definitely get why communities ban monetary transactions for Pokemon--this just feels wrong, somehow.

/r/Pokemongiveaway -- The first couple times I saw this, I had nothing. Again, dominated by 6th Gen threads. But it hit me: A giveaway! Yes, a legitimate giveaway! I don’t need to trade stuff with people, I can just do a giveaway! But what to giveaway… It needs to be eye catching enough to attract attention to a 5th Gen thread, yet easy enough so I don’t drive myself insane. How about we please everyone: Random shinies and flawless Ditto! It took me maybe an hour to farm 4 shinies (in non-wandering NPC areas ;) and 4 Ditto, which I figured would be a good sample size to see if this would actually work. But wait, before we start the giveaway, we need to pay close attention to Rule #10:

/r/Pokemongiveaway rules said:
Rule 10: Pokechecks are now required for Legendaries, Events, and Shinies being given away on gen 4 or 5. (Keep in mind they will be required for 6th gen too once support comes out.) See this guide on how to use Pokecheck

Ooh… So, I finally need to get into PokeCheck. I’d been holding off on PokeCheck for the longest time, just in case there were any chance of any illegitimate Pokemon ever touching my game. But after reading the the FAQ several times and thinking about it a bit (this is basically the last time I can use it in non-6th Gen games), I decided to take the plunge on one my more expendable games, White 1. So I tried depositing a random Pokemon, and… I get an error (the correct one), which means I haven’t downloaded anything to my game, but I refresh Pokecheck, and boom, there’s the random Pokemon. Very slick!

I uploaded all four shinies, making sure they couldn’t be downloaded by others of course. I also uploaded Pokemon from pretty much every one of my games to find those game’s SIDs, in case I ever want to RNG them. Yeah, I suppose it’s a bit cheating, but hey, I don’t have much time left to do things “legitimately”.

Chapter 5.5: Planting Seeds

As I caught the shinies and flawless Pokemon used in the giveaways and else, I decided to start noting down the seeds. Finding seeds is basically the hardest part of RNG abuse--if you note down the good ones, you can reuse them later (note, this is sometimes frowned upon, as it can create situations where you have Pokemon that are basically clones of each other)! I’m sure that’s obvious to most RNGers, but I never thought of it. :X It sure justified me RNGing some Hidden Power Ditto for someone--I can use those HP frames practically anywhere else!

Yes, short chapter, but I really wanted to use that title…

Chapter 6: Giveaway #1 Begins

Pokechecks in hand, I post the giveaway thread. Almost instantly I get a response from /u/Dancecomander: I'd love the Tranquill! (it was actually something different first, but this is what it ended up being). Unfortunately she would never get the Tranquil, as she had some major 3DS-to-BW2 Internet problems. Not sure what the issue was, but oh well. The final claim list was:

1) Ditto #1 -- /u/st3althtiger
2) Ditto #2 -- /u/MoonShard
3) Ditto #3 -- /u/larzasaur
4) Ditto #4 -- /u/Mindmater022197

1) Shiny Druddigon -- /u/sashashepto
2) Shiny Tranquill -- /u/MoonShard
3) Shiny Venipede -- /u/DoctorWhatMD
4) Shiny Cofagrigus -- /u/sy3althtiger

I started out only giving one thing to each person, but the Ditto were going unloved and other people wanted them. Definitely taught me about the quantity of people on /r/Pokemongiveaway who want shinies vs. those who want flawless Ditto, haha.

I also offered to RNG stuff not in the giveaway. Got two responses: One for a pretty shiny Ditto (RNGed, never got a response. :(), and one for a Shiny Snivy (done).

Chapter 7: Triumph, and a horrible realization

I wrote everything before this point in basically one go, with little sleep and when Pokemon trading was very fresh on my mind. I’m now returning several months later, so don’t be jarred if the tone and subject matter changes significantly.

Hm, it’s been a while since I started writing this, but let me look at my logs…

Ooh, that one trade in /r/pokemontrades I did. Yeah, I did a trade with /u/mizzymizu. I thought it was going to be some relatively simple HP Fire and Ice Ditto, but at the last minute I found out he wanted to trade in 6th gen. But with Pokemon in tow, I decided to activate my Bank trial and go for it. Got a shiny Aggron with Aggronite holding a Power Something for my trouble, which was pretty fair/overpriced. :)

Ah, I never finished the story with Ka$hmoney. Yeah, I eventually RNGed the Cyndaquil and traded it for a flawless Mold Breaker Drilbur in 6th gen. Not much more to say.

[smod]Drohn[/smod] offered to help me with his array of 5th gen games. Gave him a shiny RNGed something or another for the help.

And apparently I did something with [member]117jokes[/member]. I think he helped with his 5th gen games, too. I gave him a Shiny Snivy for his trouble, only to receive a Shiny Gligar in return and find out he RNGed. :S I evolved that Gligar into a Gliscor for my dex.

And apparently that was it--I got my 32 FCs!

Pal%20Pad%20medal.gif

Huge GIF, give it a minute to load.
I didn’t know “Mission Accomplished” had any meaning beyond what it says--I didn’t mean anything beyond that.

:D :D :D

Final list of FCs:

B2%20Pal%20Pad.gif

Thanks to everyone! I can finally wind down on this Pokemon stuff and start doing other stuf-wha? There are Pokemon I might need for 5th gen RNG that I’ll never be able to get again!?

Yes, from the beginning I knew I was going to need a flawless non-English Ditto if I was ever going to RNG shiny stuff easily. I made a post in the /r/pokemontrades Daily Standard Trade Thread, and got a quick response from /u/TheMrMoMo. He wanted a shiny Eevee with egg moves. All right, well, I’ve never done egg moves, surely it’s not that hard? He wanted Yawn and Wish, which required me to use a Smeargle, but eh, big deal, right?

...except that he also wanted it with its Hidden Ability, which I didn’t have. This trade seemed to be my best bet to get a Ditto like this, so I scrambled to find a HA Ditto on Serebii/PokeCommunity/Marriland/etc. But then [member]Dr.Mario[/member] contacted me and gave me one for free, and all was good. Thank you, Dr.Mario.

So the trade went off fine. I left TheMrMoMo a reference, he left me a reference, everything was good. Until it clicked: What if I’m ever in a situation like this again, where someone wants something RNGed with its HA and I don’t have it? That would be disastrous if the trade was in 6th gen, post-WFC shutdown! And so I began another quest, one that took me month(s)...

Chapter 8: How many HAFs!?

Using Bulbapedia’s extremely helpful List of Pokémon with released Hidden Abilities (Generation V), I set about canvassing my PCs and Entralinks for what HAFs I was currently in possession of. I forget the number, but I think it might have been 50-ish (I was actually counting unique Pokemon in my Entralinks, not whether they were female [I thought I could SR later :X], so the number was actually more like 33-ish). So, I made a list of everything I needed, and set out.

My first HAF trade was with MezzyMuffin, the person from Serebii I gave an Emerald-cloned Registeel. I saw then that she had a large number of HAFs she could breed. I gave her my list, and in return, she wanted a ton of dex tradebacks, including event Pokemon. I ended up having to migrate my Shaymin and Jirachi from Gen 4, and I RNGed my Genesect. But it paid off! Armed with a checklist, we traded and traded back all my events in exchange for a massive 42 HAFs. I was well on my way!

I traded with jamesf-0164. He drove a tough, but fair bargain--12 HAFs, for 4 highly RNGed ‘mons. That RNG was a bit rough, but in the end I got my HAFs and we went on our way.

I decided to pull what I thought was my trump card: A post in /r/pokemontrades, offering custom RNGed Pokemon for HAFs. But ha, who would have guessed that the circles of people that collect HAFs and those that want competitive ‘mons don’t really intersect? Still, I got a helpful tip from someone in there who said my Dropbox txt lists were crap and that I should use a spreadsheet. I didn’t think a spreadsheet was necessary for my simple trades, but after making separate columns for the different families and using background colors and stuff, I was pretty satisfied with the results.

There were a couple other trades, but my main trading partner after this was EspereGear. Man, he was the best. I started out by replying to his post in Serebii’s DWF Trading thread. I saw that he had 27 HAFs I needed, which I ended up getting with 27 DWFs I had. Another very big trade.

At this point, EspereGear went to many other sources for more HAFs before coming back to me and trading for whatever I had. This got to a point where, in a Marriland thread where I had previously offered to RNG the OP some stuff for stuff out of his complete HAF collection, I found EspereGear trading for the same exact HAFs I told him I needed. Now obviously, he needed those HAFs to complete his collection, too, but still, that was pretty weird/awesome.

So over the course of a few weeks, Espere and I traded, and traded, and traded. I had to RNG some HAFs from Hidden Grottos, which was fairly tedious, but that worked out. Finally, we were about to make our last trade: The last 15 HAFs I needed, for… the last 6 HAFs he needed. Uh-oh. I asked what else I could use to trade, and he said Prism Scales, Shiny Stones, or Sun Stones. Prism Scales were out of the question, so I looked at my stock of Sun/Shiny Stones and found that I did have enough to make the trade, but at what cost? How would I ever build up that stock again? I remembered that I could farm for Shiny/Sun Stones by RNGing Hidden Grottos, but that was going to be a real pain. I almost went through with it, until I decided to look into one last way: Solrock.

Solrock has a 5% chance of holding a Sun Stone, and in BW is found in Giant Chasm, where there are no wandering NPCs to worry about. It was going to be a stretch, but if I could find that magic seed that always yields a Sun Stone-holding Solrock, I was going to be in business. And I did find it! The trade went through, and, at long last, my goals with Pokemon and Wi-Fi were complete.

Chapter 9: Wait, there were other games?

The remainder of WFC’s life (~21 days) was spent doing stuff with all the other games I talked about. Here are my extended notes on those:

Goldeneye 007: The much-hyped (sort of) 2010 revival of the N64 classic. I had heard there was online multiplayer and that it wasn’t half-bad, so I hopped on to see if anyone was still around. And they were--veterans, mostly. It wasn’t really fun to walk for three seconds and get shot, but eh, that’s kind of true for most FPSs. At least this lives on in the Reloaded version for PS3/360.

Tetris Party Deluxe: There were only one or two people still active here, and they both filled up my field before I knew what was going on. GG.

Wii Music: You can share videos of your performances with friends. Unfortunately I have no friends that have Wii Music, and even if I did, the whole Wii Friends thing was shut down back in June, so.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: Completely dead. But at least the DS Download Play is fun.

Mario Kart DS: 4 people in a race, missing a few intense courses, no item dragging, and of course, snaking, but MKDS was still the first WFC game, and so it deserved some play. The snakers got to me before too long, but it was still Mario Kart.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis: The MvsDK series had a pretty big level creation scene. Nintendo put out some official levels, and the community of course uploaded theirs. Unfortunately I received my copy of this from Canada on the 20th, one day too late to download levels. :(

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Agains!: But I’ve owned this for years! Snatched up all of Nintendo’s levels, plus the 50 highest rated. Good stuff.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem!: Yes, they put three of these out on DS. The level creation was more robust than ever here. Nintendo had their levels as usual, but they also ran weekly challenges, where players were given a level template and a theme. The top 20 levels were put in a collection for everyone to download. These ran for two years, and didn’t stop until last December. Unfortunately you can only hold 60 challenge levels on one cartridge, so enough for three complete sets of challenges, but eh, that’s all right.

The Mega Man Star Force series: The successor to the Battle Network series featured online play in a big way. No one was playing matches when I checked, but I could at least try to fill out my Brotherbands (think friend lists, but with lots of in-game bonuses). A search revealed this thread on The Rockman.EXE Zone, which I posted in. Got a good number of Brothers, so I’m happy.

Picross DS: Everyone loves Picross! Over the life of the game, Nintendo put out 10 themes of 10 packs each, which themselves had 10 puzzles each, totalling a massive 1,000 puzzles to download… unfortunately, each cartridge can hold only 100. I wasn’t about to go out and buy 9 more copies, so I perused the selection and ended up going with puzzles from Mario’s Super Picross. The download process wasn’t too bad, though it was pretty annoying that it didn’t show what puzzles I’d already downloaded.

Pokemon Platinum: Platinum added a bunch of features in the Global Terminal, so I checked that out. Uploaded a dress-up photo, box, and Battle Video. Fun stuff.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky/Time: I wanted to do some missions, but it turns out there were basically none to do! Sky had one mission that was taken. Time had more, but most of them were the legendary dungeon missions. I took the last two, but I found out I saved midway through the Palkia dungeon, so I didn’t get a chance to try them.

WarioWare D.I.Y. (Showcase): WarioWare D.I.Y., as the name might suggest, was all about creating and distributing your own microgames. Nintendo put out a ton of weekly games, and well as number of “big name” games from relatively famous people like Edmund McMillen. You can’t fit all those games on one cart, but luckily you could split them up between the main game and the WiiWare complement, Showcase.

Dr. Mario Online Rx: Dr. Mario, online! There were a couple people playing, most of them too good for me, haha.

Picross 3D: Picross… in THREE-DEE! I’d wanted Picross 3D for a while, so picking this up was a no-brainer. There were 44 puzzle packs put out by Nintendo, and 11 Challenge packs with levels made by the community. To store them all, I’d need to order another cartridge… which I did. Picross is dirt-cheap (like, sub-$5), and it’s a fun game, so that was a no-brainer.

The Professor Layton series: Four games, 33 puzzles each. It’s a very quick download, you basically log in to Wi-FI and it says “Oh, here you go” and unlocks them.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies: There were a ton of weekly quests that would be leaving with the shutdown, so picking this up wasn’t that hard of a decision. You need to be a decent way into the game to be able to connect to Wi-Fi, so off I set on my first traditional JRPG! And it was fun!

Metroid Prime Hunters: I ordered this to have it as a DS Download Play game, but I briefly checked out the online. Got destroyed, but it was fun.

Tetris DS: Woo, Teris DS! I’d been trying to get this for a nice price so I could have it as another DS Download Play game. After getting my copy, I noticed that the label was a bit odd and that it slid into my DS a little oddly, but the game booted on a 3DS, saved, did DS Download Play, and connected to Wi-Fi, so I dismissed it as nothing.

But after playing an online match (much more fun than Tetris Party, probably because you can’t instantly drop tetrominos), I went back to the menu, closed my DS, and noticed it: Instead of going to sleep, I was hearing the menu theme come out of my speakers in short, glitchy bursts. That sealed it: My copy was a fake. I’d been warned I was going to come across these on eBay, but man, I didn’t know they were this common. And so well made--not only does it play on the scrutinizing 3DS, it plays online! Luckily this was only a couple days after I bought it, so I went to the seller, explained the situation, and got a full refund--and I didn’t even have to return the game! I know some people sell mass quantities of fakes on eBay, but this felt like an honest mistake (I wouldn’t be surprised--I saw a gray-cartridge copy of Ruby in a GameStop once).

Still, this worried me a bit, so I checked for the signs of fakery and checked over my recent purchases: Professor Layton 1 was a fake, as was Megaman Battle Network 5: Double Team. I expected that from Double Team--the game played fine, but the label was a bit weird and the seller was selling 20 copies, which is a crazy number considering the rarity of this game. But eh, it’s been months since I bought those games, and without a refund I don’t feel inclined to procure myself legitimate copies, as long as they don’t have issues like Tetris DS. I’ll for sure download them on the eShop if Nintendo ever puts them out there.

So in the end I didn't play all the matches I said I would, but I had my fill regardless. ;)

Chapter 10: 24 hours remain

We were getting down to the wire, so I started on my final day checklist:

Double check all downloads: What it says. Took me a bit, but I super-duper-verified that I had downloaded everything I could/wanted to download.

A couple Mario Kart Wii races: Great strides have been made in the realm of alternative servers for MK Wii, so I wasn’t too worried about this. Still, this was the last chance to play on official servers, so I went for a couple races.

Random Matchup in Black 1: I’d never tried this feature, so I gathered my Emboar and Charizard and Emerald-cloned Latios and Latias and set out for a match. The battle wasn’t that interesting, but suffice to say I lost. :X

GTS Negotiations in Black 1: This was the other feature I’d never tried. I got paired with someone, offered up that Latios, and got a Level 1 Charmander. I would have given them a shiny if I’d had some foresight, but whatever.

GTS trade in Diamond: The GTS was a great feature of DP. There always were and always will be the tons of people asking for a Level 9 and under Toxicroak, but the idea was neat. I traded a.. something… for a… something. I also deposited a Starly, never to be retrieved. >:D

Wi-Fi Plaza in Platinum: The Wi-Fi Plaza was one of the odder features of Platinum. 20 people are sent to a place to play minigames and stuff, with no in-game benefits? But it has its charm. I went in to the Pikachu room, played games, stamped some footprints, and talked with people, all to the backround of this music, a piece that almost perfectly encapsulated the “Wow. This will all be gone tomorrow.” feel of that trip. I regret getting on the first float in the parade and not holding back to see what others did, but oh well. Goodbye, Nintendo Wi-Fi.

And then I played some more MK DS because yeah

Last edited:
Don't have time to read that all but wow.

Unfortunately all my DS games are in Finland at my parent's home (I live alone in Austria) with the exception of White and White 2, and since multiplayer Wi-Fi doesn't work for my DS games, all I could do was a few GTS trades. I got four missing markings in Australia and one from an island near Mexico/Brazil. So sad.

Yeah this is bad because I have around 2,000 events THAT I NOW CANNOT TRADE. I can't get them cloned which means I will never be trading my 4th and 5th gen events ever. I have no way to get them cloned now before migrating and now I can't migrate basically. Nintendo can't be paying that much of a bill to service these games because internet can't be that expensive. They can afford it and cutting it off does not really save a whole lot in the longrun. It is much cheaper to keep it going that to disconnect it. Disconnecting is actually going to cost them big money. They will not see it now but in about 1 to 2 years they will wish they had never did this XD. Bad move on their part. These games were meant for this purpose. This is why they were made. Now when you buy these games you can't get online. Makes no sense.:(

I regret not cracking open SF Pegasus and Zerker X Ninja, I thought the online play of those games dies yeas ago so I never really tried the online functions. It's a shame.

Let us remember the ways that the Wi-Fi helped us players connect with the world out there. Be it by fighting elemental monsters, racing through dangerous roads, or slaying dragons together. Truly, we can say that it helped us come together closer, building unbreakable friendships through a single wireless connection.

R.I.P. Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service
Gone, but not forgotten.

(And those are my two cents about this. Always will remember racing online in Mario Kart. Though I rarely did get to experience playing Pokemon with Wi-Fi. DS couldn't do it.)

I think some of you do not understand it is not Nintendo's fault, that these services are ending. The online services were outsourced by Gamespy and it's them, who are shutting down. I repeat, it is not Nintendo's fault.

On another note, I wish I could spent some more time online in BW2. Oh well, what can you do.

If Gamespy was shutting down why hasn't Nintendo hooked up with someone that will continue the support? Also these 5 Pokemon are no longer obtainable in 4th gen unless you know someone close by. Manaphy Phione Darkrai Shaymin and Areceus. In 5th gen these Pokemon cannot be obtained plus these 3 Pokemon. Keldeo Meloetta and Genesect. You can no longer get these Pokemon. If your games die your screwed and if you buy them new you cannot get these Pokemon. They should have transferred the server if they knew Gamespy was shutting down. They were meant for online play. If they were meant for this why not keep it going?:)

This was terrible foresight on Nintendo's part since as you said If they had found a new partner to host the Wi-Fi Servers to keep them going before they cut ties with Gamespy then that would've saved them ALOT of money since they're already hurting from the Wii U collecting dust while the 3DS is the only gaming device that's really keeping them afloat right now. I'm not trying to bash on Nintendo but facts are facts. :/

Even still they have enough money to correct their mistakes, so we'll see what comes of it. This news to me seems like Satoru Iwata doesn't care about the Pokemon Community as much as we do in contrast to other popular Nintendo IP's such as Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc. which is a shame If it was true however the way Nintendo has been dropping the ball lately on alot of their business decisions has me deeply concerned not just as a gamer but as someone who wants to see Nintendo thrive again in the hardware business expanding past gaming as an entertainment medium.

Back