Random Receiver vs. Supporters, Supporter evaluation, and Supporter line help!

Did you find this thread helpful?

• Total voters

Rikko145

I put the "laughter" in "slaughter&
PART 1
Until recently, I thought Random Receiver was complete junk. This was my figuring:

Say you dedicate 10 deck slots to draw supporters. You have the same odds of drawing one of those as you do if you replaced one with a RR. The RR would also take one out of the deck, giving you slimmer odds of hitting one when you use the draw supporter you just got.

After more consideration, these are my added thoughts:

RR Pros:
Thins the deck.
Junk Armable.
Disrupts Smeargle.

So, what do you guys think of Random Receiver? Is it worth your deck space?

PART 2

We all recognize Juniper, PONT, and N as staples in every deck and major draw supporters. But what about Sage's Training? I'm absolutely convinced that it's the best thing since sliced bread for Stage 2 decks simply because it aids in the Rare Candy hunt more than any other card. But what about Basic decks? Stage 1 decks?

PART 3
This section is for people to post their supporter lines and receive help from others concerning it. Just post what deck you're running, how many of each draw supporter, and how many Random Receivers (or PokeGears) you're running. Before posting your list, you should help somebody else. Not saying it is required, but it would be appreciated and would be courteous. Also, don't be afraid just to post to help out others and make sure you justify the reasons for your edits/comments! I'll go ahead and start us off!

I'm currently running DMRH (Donphan/Mewtwo EX/Rocky Helmet). I run 4 Juniper, 4 PONT, 2 N, and 2 Sage's Training. I run 0 Random Receiver.

*I hope this thread helps everybody!*

I run 3 PONT and Juniper, and 2 N, and that works fine for me in my TrollRam deck, which is Reshiram EX, Vileplume, and Reuniclus. (the deck actually functions and has only lost a few times.)

I think the way to go in a lot of decks is to drop 3-4 supporters for 3-4 Random Recievers, since Smeargle is in almost every deck and there are some decks like speed Darkrai that can't function without Portraiting several times T1. If you deny them that there's no way they can get a T1 Night Spear.

9Tailz said:
I run 3 PONT and Juniper, and 2 N, and that works fine for me in my TrollRam deck, which is Reshiram EX, Vileplume, and Reuniclus. (the deck actually functions and has only lost a few times.)

I do the same in my ZekEels list. 3 PONT, 3 Juniper, and 2 N.

The only thing I see wrong with that Cinema is that you could hit Pokémon Collector off of Random Receiver. So you can't rely solely on Receiver to try and disrupt Smeargle, because if you only have a Receiver in your hand, and you hit Collector, you have a dead hand next turn.

Of course if you run just Dual Ball and no Collector, that statement is invalid, and by all means, go for it.

9Tailz said:

I'd say you could use another PONT, though. 3 is awfully low for any form of Reshiram. Although, you probably run 4 Twins, yes?

Teapot said:
I do the same in my ZekEels list. 3 PONT, 3 Juniper, and 2 N.

The only thing I see wrong with that Cinema is that you could hit Pokémon Collector off of Random Receiver. So you can't rely solely on Receiver to try and disrupt Smeargle, because if you only have a Receiver in your hand, and you hit Collector, you have a dead hand next turn.

Of course if you run just Dual Ball and no Collector, that statement is invalid, and by all means, go for it.

Right, you definitely don't want to run Random Reciever with Pokemon Collector. If you're running Collector just run Pokegear.

Cinema and Teapot, both very valid points. Any suggestions on my line? I'm thinking I should probably drop the Sage's. The deck runs Dual Ball and only 5 basics, so denying the donk would be quite nice. However, seeing as the deck is so Trainer reliant, I have to keep a pretty heavy supporter line, which is why I only want to drop 2 Supporters for RR's. Thoughts?

In my Zekeels, I run 3 Juniper, 4 Pont, 3 N, 1 Collector, and 2 RR. This way, I always get a supporter. However, I am very Smeargle prone.
I run RRs because my 1 collector will most likely not get chosen during the trainer. I can burn Collector in many ways too.

Another thing you need to take into account is you are limited to 4 of each supporter, so you need a way to get the ones you want. In my friends speed Darkrai Terrakion he uses 4 RR and 4 of both PONT and N. Random Reciever also really hurts decks that rely on Smeargle and it allows you to get a supporter after a late game N via Junk Arm.

Rikko145 said:
I'd say you could use another PONT, though. 3 is awfully low for any form of Reshiram. Although, you probably run 4 Twins, yes?
Actually, I run no Twins. I don't actually get down on prizes in the beginning that often, which makes it about useless. I am working on getting more space for another PONT.

In my zekeels I use 4 juniper, 3 pont, 2 N, 2 RR. I don't like sage's training because I have often gotten 5 cards

blue luxray said:
I don't like sage's training because I have often gotten 5 cards
Well of course you draw 5 cards. I'm guessing you mean 5 cards that you need?

I love Random Receiver. I used to run 4 Juniper, 3 PONT, and 2 N + 2 Random Receiver. I used to only play 1, but when I added the 2nd one it made my deck so much more consistent. Granted I am Smeargle prone, but I also use Smeargle alot. I find Smeargle also increases my consistency and allows me to get 3 Eels out T2.

Looks like some pretty insightful comments. Anybody else want to contribute?

I think Sage's is absolutely essential in most Stage 2 decks, but specifically Vileplume because there's so many different pieces in the deck. I honestly can't remember if any other Stage 2 decks utilize it that well (I know Empoleon doesn't...), but I have seen a couple select Speed Darkrai lists play it and that might be useful depending on how many Basic Dark Energy you're running in it. Other than those decks, I don't think any Basic/Stage 1 (think CMT/Eel) decks want it as PONT, Juniper, and N are all the most consistent and useful Supporters.

I run a Zekrom/Eel deck primarily and it has 4 PONT, 3 Juniper, 3 N, and 1 Random Receiver which is 11 outs to get a Supporter along with a Smeargle for insurance. I find this count the most consistent for my playstyle and the deck itself and I rarely draw dead with it.

dmaster out.

Random Receiver> Supporters is typically the way i go, for example, if i could add a PONT or Receiver, I'd add the RR, simply because it's Junk Arm searchable and disrupts Smeargle.

Having said this in my Lugia donk (inquire if you wish to know) I run 4 Judge and 4 N in order for the opponent to draw into some supporter i can abuse. This is where the second strength is nullified- T1 N.

In my Zekrom/Eelektrik deck. I run 3 Juniper, PONT, N and Random Receiver. And 1 Smeargle. I don't really like Sage's because I seem to whiff on the Lightning Energy more often then not.

I'd like to take out one of those for another Smeargle. Any advice on what to take out/if I should even bother with another Smeargle?

Also. I would help the others on there lines. But I think they're all pretty solid :D

I'd say take out a PONT or a Juniper. But, i've never played Zek/Eels so i'm not the best to ask.

Thus far, i've used RR in all of my decks, but only two. I am really considering going up to 3 though, as too often i've neither a RR or a useful supporter in my opening hand. I do think RR is quite essential and will remain essential even after Jarm's rotation.

raw19 said:
I'd say take out a PONT or a Juniper. But, i've never played Zek/Eels so i'm not the best to ask.

Thus far, i've used RR in all of my decks, but only two. I am really considering going up to 3 though, as too often i've neither a RR or a useful supporter in my opening hand. I do think RR is quite essential and will remain essential even after Jarm's rotation.

Thanks for the advice. But since I've already started Nats. It's not going to help very much :D

Back