'Pokemon Sun' and 'Pokemon Moon' Trademarks Filed!

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!
Hey, guys and gals! I got some speculating to be spectated upon! If... if that's not a sentence that will get me an F in English class... Anyway, here's my speculation on some stuff and why.

♦1 STARTERS
I've gone out of my way and analyzed the trends of the starter pokemon to find any way to predict what the next will be. Here's what I got...

Grass-Type Starters

All the grass-types share the same theme of evolution of life over time. We see the first being dicynodonts, specifically Kannemeyeria, which lived about 300 to 200 million years ago. These were synapsids, animals with reptile and mammal features simultaneously. While they lived, sauropods came into existence 210 million years ago, with Apatosaurus specifically being around 152 to 151 million years ago. Later, we had Dilophosaurus walk the earth 193 million years ago, and Protarcheopteryx about 127 million years ago. This takes care of the Venusaur, Meganium, and Sceptile lines. It gets a little more expansive with the next.

Torterra's line is inspired by several creatures, most of them being ancient turtles and ankylosaurs from 210 to 0.01 million years ago. They're also inspired by the legend of the "World Turtle", which is popular in native american and chinese mythology. Serperior is the evolution of lizards into snakes starting with Haasiophis, an early lisard-like snake with hind legs from about 100 to 94 million years ago, as well as French royalty. Chesnaught's line is the RPG tanky paladin class combined with hedgehogs and armadillos, which belongs to the Superorder of Xenarthra, which originated about 59 million years ago. This Superorder was the first of the mammals, or rather modern mammals. This order includes armadillos, anteaters, and sloths. The next is Pholidota from about 56 million years ago, which introduced pangolins. Then Insectivora followed right behind to the very tip of the Latest Cretaceous. This introduced creatures like hedgehogs, moles, and shrews. After this point, mammals split into many branches with the next mammals being rodents, lagomorphs (hares, pikas, rabbits), and then bats and primates. Soon after came carnivores such as cats, dogs, bears, and seals.

I feel that, due to their passing of the cretaceous, we will never get another dinosaur or pterosaur-like grass-type starter. We'll likely get more developing mammals or even early birds such as Gastornis. With this, they could have the starter start as a simple flightless bird and evolve over time to fly, or even evolve into later Terror Birds.

With this being said, my starter prediction for grass is...
Rabbit or Flightless Bird.

Fire-Type Starters
Fire-type starters don't seem to have as much of a linear theme. Well, they did until Gen 4. The only similarity they all have is that they're based on the Chinese Zodiac. The only ones with any time that was linked to anything significant were Charizard, Typhlosion, Infernape, and Emboar. 1989 was the Year of the Dragon and when GameFreak was founded. The Gen 2 pokemon were originally planned for Gen 1, which had cut them all out last minute and released in 1996, Year of the Rat. The Year of the Monkey was 2004-5, which was most likely during Diamond and Pearl's development, as it was announced the year after and released 2007. For Emboar, the Year of the Pig ended the beginning of 1996 and BW were advertised as a new beginning to the series, even constructed like a reboot of sorts.

The only available Zodiac left are the Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Horse, and Goat, but I feel some are more likely than others, so my prediction for Fire is...
Tiger or Goat
Tigers are likely due to their popularity and color scheme, as well as the... "popular" Type/Fighting starter trend matching the Tiger-style martial arts. The Goat is due to lambs being the most cooked meat in the world, and how demons and devils are often seen with goat-like features and flames.

Water-Type Starters
The fire-types didn't have much, but water has significantly less. It's basically a random list of amphibious animals, meaning animals that can work on land or in water. I checked to see if there was any size, habitat, evolutionary, species, or anything trend, but the closest I could find is that they're all amphibious. So... My predictions are...
Salamander, Walrus, or Waterfowl. I'd love a dolphin, but I think it's hardly likely to be a starter, sadly.

♦2 REGION
I had previously believed the region might be Hawaii, California, Italy, or Brazil but I was watching a GameXplain video that convinced me otherwise.
I did a little studying as well and found even the fire truck in the concept art matches the ones in Malaysia and the Pokemon Center design matches Singapore architecture. This theory is only slightly pushed by the new Pokemon's likely inspirations. I'll explain later, but for now I have to add that the Strange Souvenir in X and Y reminds me of the Hindu deity Hanuman, who has a temple in Malaysia. Here, look.
9l18q88eazd0f12zg.jpg

However, it could also be a tribal mask like some of the ones I've seen from Malaysia.

♦3 POKEMON
If it isn't already obvious, I'm guessing we'll see some tropical pokemon. I honestly can't find myself expecting many, if any, new Ice-types either, but I do expect an expansive dex. I don't expect the dex to be as large as Kalos', but maybe about 300 pokemon strong, likely more akin to Neo Unova and Expanded Sinnoh. I also expect there to be some pokemon using the day/night feature in some way, possibly just availability like Gen 4, or perhaps using forms for the two times. Anyway, I'm mostly wanting to add this part here to explain what I found about the new pokemon, who I've happily nicknamed Chatweet (think Smugleaf).

Now, Chatweet is obviously a small red bird with a crest and white or pink beak. I was looking up some stuff about cardinals, a red bird with a crest. Turns out, Chatweet may very well take inspiration from several species of this tropical bird! It happens to have a gray or white face and chest, as we can tell from the image. This could be inspired by the Grey-throated chat, a cardinal that is at home in subtropical and tropical dry forests. It may also take inspiration from the Rose-breasted grosbeak, a songbird in the cardinal family with a black body, nearly white beak, red chest, and white underbelly. It also happens to go to tropical america for the winter.

Scratch that, I did some more research and found out it's more likely inspired by the Crimson-crested woodpecker, which can be found in Panama, Argentina, and Trinidad. This is obvious by the shape of the beak, colors, crest, and the zygodactyl feet. Anyway, guess the previous analysis should be tossed and with this being said, I think I'm going to start happily calling it Chirpeck. This part is irrelevant, but I'd like to see its final evolution be named "Infinchree" from infantry, finch, and tree. Hehe.
I cannot find any strong enough Solar or Lunar deities or creatures in southeastern mythology, religion, or folklore that provides enough of a connection for me to guess those, however. But, with everything I said here, I hope you enjoyed my prediction!

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
I see Sound Type as more viable than Light TBH.

Sound is known to cause Earthquakes and cause internal bleeding, if fired off at a fast enough rate.

Sound Type:

Weak to:
Ice - Glass usually helps prevent outside sounds and it's very hard to shatter glass. (Despite the common misconception)
Flying - Sounds are harder to hear, the higher up and further away you go.

Strong against:
Psychic - Mind over matter doesn't matter, when your internal organs are bleeding. Also fits Psychic's weaknesses, such as "things that go bump in the night".
Ground - Sound can cause Earthquakes.
Water - Sound can cause ripples in water.

Sound Moves resist:
Sound
Ground

Sound Moves are resisted by:
Sound
Rock
Steel
Ice

dotamin

Aspiring Trainer
What about the sound based normal type move that's super effective against rock types? Like freeze-dry?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Freeze-Dry isn't a Normal Type Move, it's Ice Type.

There's a sound-based move SE against rock types?

He's saying there should be a sound based Normal type move SE against Rock, Freeze Dry is just an example of what he was talking about.

dotamin

Aspiring Trainer
Freeze-Dry isn't a Normal Type Move, it's Ice Type.

There's a sound-based move SE against rock types?

I know freeze-dry is an ice type move. I was using it as an example of the move that's super effective against the type that should resist it in the normal conditions. I should have worded it better.

MegaButterfree

Old Timer
Wow - I definitely got a laid-back vacation-y vibe from the artwork, and so the Hawaiian theories have me pretty convinced (that it's based on Hawaii)...there is nothing I see so far that's contrary to that idea. I'll also throw in that Hawaii is pretty popular/quite well-known in Japan.
Last point, I always felt if there was going to be a new type it should be Time (which crosses Dialga/Palika, I know).

Genius715

Aspiring Trainer
I like the thought of the inspiration being Hawaii, from the small clues to the Strange Souvenir. Also, a main region as an archipelago would be pretty cool! If not based on Hawaii, maybe some other island-like or tropical area.

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
There is no way this can be gen 6.5, It has been confirmed on the Pokemon Bank site that you will be able to TRANSFER Pokemon from Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. This means you will not get to trade with gen 6 (which ruins my time capsule theory).
If that doesn't spell 7th gen then I don't know what will

dotamin

Aspiring Trainer
There is no way this can be gen 6.5, It has been confirmed on the Pokemon Bank site that you will be able to TRANSFER Pokemon from Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. This means you will not get to trade with gen 6 (which ruins my time capsule theory).
If that doesn't spell 7th gen then I don't know what will
Yeah, it's pretty obvious we are getting a new region with new pokemon that might possibly be connected to Kalos.

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
Yeah, it's pretty obvious we are getting a new region with new Pokemon that might possibly be connected to Kalos.
Only Pokemon Sun and Moon has that is related to Kalos so far is Magiana/Magearna, I think the strange souvenir Pokemon will be an extra legendary in this game.

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!
Oh, hey, so I had an idea as to what that little birdy (or, if you read my last post, "Chirpeck") might look like. Crude sketch but did it with rather... limited time.
ip9tjud1xbsfocfzg.jpg

Also, here's what I think it's shiny will look like.
ib3gx03xrki1se3zg.jpg

Also, I realized it's actually entirely possible this woodpecker will be the grass-type now thinking about it. Unlikely, but possible.

Orlandito2012

Aspiring Trainer
Has anyone realized this? Pokemon red and blue was released exactly 20 years ago, but look at this:
Red-3 letters
Sun-3 letters
Blue-4 letters
Moon-4 letters
The colors even line up. It may not be significant, but I may as well point it out.
Also, to the previous post, I really like the drawings you made.

Tuoko

Aspiring Trainer
Light type should've just died off after Fairy type was revealed. Though, the only way I can see them introducing a "Light type" is it'd be a counterpart to the Shadow Pokemon back in Colosseum and XD, but there's 0 chance of that being revisited. I can see Alien or Sound being types, but they should wait until the Fairy type is settled in.

I do hope Espeon/Umbreon or Lunatone/Solrock get their Mega Evolutions in these games. The new bird Pokemon... I'll wait on that, but I'd imagine it'd look pretty cute. Hopefully we get the starters and box mascots next month.

Envelion

Aspiring Trainer
It's fun to make sweeping ideas and assumptions in this stage of a release, so I'd like to add what I was thinking from the content released.

The bird pokemon appears to be a wood pecker, wood? Perhaps the starts of a flying-grass starter? I just can't get the starter from Pokemon Sage out of my mind http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/Foliat

Also, I'm on board with some people saying that you do a lot of traveling in this game. It's not only hinted at by the vehicles, but also the rolling luggage the girl is carrying in front of the building (hotel?)
So I'd be stoked if you actually traveled to old regions. That's something I've been wishing for since Gen 4.

Looks like it's running on the XY engine too, which is great, because I loved those games.
Safe to say, I'm pretty stoked.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Has anyone realized this? Pokemon red and blue was released exactly 20 years ago, but look at this:
Red-3 letters
Sun-3 letters
Blue-4 letters
Moon-4 letters
The colors even line up. It may not be significant, but I may as well point it out.
Also, to the previous post, I really like the drawings you made.

Does anyone wanna tell him? I didn't really want to tell him... I really didn't want to be the one who will disappoint you and destroy your brilliant theory, but Pokémon Red and GREEN were released 20 years ago, NOT Red and BLUE... You people are looking too much into little things like colors and letters...

Light type should've just died off after Fairy type was revealed.

This. Why are people even theoryzing about a new type? Do you really think they will introduce a new one every gen now? Fairy-type was a once-in-a-blue-moon thing (see what I did there?). It was introduced mostly to nerf Dragon-types just like Dark and Steel were introduced to mainly nerf the OP Psychic-types of Gen I.
Also, Fairy-type is our version of a Light-type. End of discussion.
I still think they could have retyped some legendaries though, like Celebi, which should definitely be Fairy/Grass, not Psychic/Grass...

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
Light type should've just died off after Fairy type was revealed. Though, the only way I can see them introducing a "Light type" is it'd be a counterpart to the Shadow Pokemon back in Colosseum and XD, but there's 0 chance of that being revisited. I can see Alien or Sound being types, but they should wait until the Fairy type is settled in.

I do hope Espeon/Umbreon or Lunatone/Solrock get their Mega Evolutions in these games. The new bird Pokemon... I'll wait on that, but I'd imagine it'd look pretty cute. Hopefully we get the starters and box mascots next month.

Indeed. To me, if I'd add any new types to games such as these, I'd think about their function first, try to imagine it their game mechanics, think about their possible characteristics, as well what it actually represents physically. That is the most important when adding a type. Sure, there are existing types in the games that one thinks should have been molded together, and I agree by a point, until said types have defining characteristics that deserves to make them a seperate type.

So Sound could work pretty well, because it has its own characteristics, the function is obvious and the game mechanics are pretty much there by default as shown in past games. Light-type does not have these characteristics, because Light-type, in my view is already part of the Pokémon universe, representing their life-force/energy. This is proven in speculative theory because its covered in several typed attacks such as Dazzling Gleam, Solarbeam, Flash Cannon, Swift, Judgment, etc, all of which are Fairy, Grass, Steel and Normal respectively.

Aside this, yeah, I think its pretty sure we will atleast get to see the Box Mascots. For the starters, I'm not sure yet.

Last edited:

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Types that cover Light Type:
Psychic - I see it as the opposite of Dark Type, due to Dark being immune to Psychic, kind of like how it's impossible for light to get rid of darkness completely.
Electric - Electricity can light up rooms and the night sky in a thunderstorm.
Fire - Fire is used to light up torches at night and in caves in olden times. You can also make camp fires to help you see things when camping.
Fairy - "Light" is pretty much good and mystic, while Fairy is mystic and moonlight.

DeepSleepDarkrai

Aspiring Trainer
This might be a little bit of a stretch, but to support the location of it being based off of Hawaii before the development montage, when they were trading Pokemon a Ocean pattern Vivillon was traded. They are only found in the regions of Hawaii and off an island of Madagascar.