Pokemon Pokemon is expensive!

palkia dialga clash said:
No money at all.

Exactly why merchandise like that is a waste of time.
Time's not wasted, it is invested. There is a fine difference.

Though I don't purchase much pokemon merchandise as I once did,I usually will tend to purchase something occasionally.

Perhaps its nothing more than a mere plush (approx.$7),or maybe a tin of cards for collective purposes ($14).The only thing I do tend to splurge on however,are the video games as well as the strategy guides,equating to a total of maybe $71.

This year so far,I've spent an approximate $90-110 on merchandise,whereas when I first indulged in pokemon,cost were normally $200-320,a substantial drop.Last year was perhaps the peak in which I would purchase Merchandise,Both HeartGold and SoulSilver,the two strategy guides,pokemon ranger 1 and 2,etc...Spending roughly $500 just last year.

My interest in the accessories and buying both games has decreased significantly,my interest as a whole is just no longer present...

Renoir said:
For the parents, who are upset that their kids throw their money away. Exploitation is everywhere. (This is, of course not an counter-argument. Just a statement for augmented awareness.)

Renoir over.

Is that what you're seeing? Around here, most parents I'm seeing just let their kids do whatever they want. If a kid wants something, the parents buy it. If a kid wants to go somewhere, the parents take them there. I've noticed it for the past several years--the trend around here is that parents cannot bear to see their kids display negative emotions at all, so the kid gets everything he or she wants. Heck, I remember a parent-teacher conference where the mother of this girl spent the whole conference yelling at the teacher defending her "little angel" who can do no wrong, when the girl was obviously a troublemaker.

The worst part is that these kids think it's perfectly normal. So when they encounter a kid who DOESN'T have at least a thousand cards per set, they get confused and encourage the other kids to yell and scream until their parents buy them.

I do find it disturbing that a pack of 10 cards can buy someone a decent meal. I myself try to keep annual spending under 100$, but in doing do limit myself from being too competitive.

Ophie said:
Is that what you're seeing? Around here, most parents I'm seeing just let their kids do whatever they want. If a kid wants something, the parents buy it. If a kid wants to go somewhere, the parents take them there. I've noticed it for the past several years--the trend around here is that parents cannot bear to see their kids display negative emotions at all, so the kid gets everything he or she wants. Heck, I remember a parent-teacher conference where the mother of this girl spent the whole conference yelling at the teacher defending her "little angel" who can do no wrong, when the girl was obviously a troublemaker.

The worst part is that these kids think it's perfectly normal. So when they encounter a kid who DOESN'T have at least a thousand cards per set, they get confused and encourage the other kids to yell and scream until their parents buy them.
It is what i see over here in Germany, i didn't know much about the situation in the United States. I thought it to be the same.

Here, most parents complain about trading cards games and how it is a waste of money and time.

i can spend any amount i would like to. currently looking into getting 4 TBs for my sons deck and mine.

you guys have no idea what it means to play an expensive card game. (yugioh/MTG)

Unless I'm given money, I don't spend any money on cards, though occasionally I will if I need something for a tournament that I don't already have. I bet I spend $50-$150 a year on cards. Merchandise on the other hand, is a different, much more expensive story for me :D!!

r3skyline said:
i can spend any amount i would like to. currently looking into getting 4 TBs for my sons deck and mine.

you guys have no idea what it means to play an expensive card game. (yugioh/MTG)

Sure we do. Well, I do at least. I know people who've played Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic competitively, and I knew to stay away from those. The hoops people jump through to get a Black Lotus...

^My reaction after seeing the price of Black Lotus, can't have a price. In other words, PRICELESS. I was just like O_O
Ophie said:

That makes me mad, the parents who put up with spoiled kids, and the parents who think their children are angels. Those children need a good spanking, and those parents need a... what do they need? :I

they need a life lesson then LOL.i do see that alot of parents now get what they want for the kid but at the same time some have the guts to say no to their kid and the kid cries like wild.but for yugioh people steal cards like crazy and some of the players really need to shower every once in awhile instead of smellin like a homeless person.magic is competitive as crazy but their prizes are alot though.

but it usually depends what you buy from pokemon to make it expensive if its cards plushies and toys thats alot but for me i just spend around 20 or so a month depending if tins and promos come out

The hoops people jump through to get a Black Lotus...
I just Googled it.
Although I do not play Magic, I do have a good grasp of the rules of the game, and man, that card is ridiculous.

edit: tour guide went up in price again what

Pokemon isn't that expensive at all. (assuming minimum rarities on all these)
Worlds topping pokemon deck.
Reshiphlosion
Reshiram x4 $12
Typhlosion x4 $16
Quilava x1 <$1
Cyndaquil x4 <$1
Pokemon Collector x4 $20
Professor Juniper x4 $4
Sage’s Training x4 $2
Engineer’s Adjustments x2 $1
Professor Oak’s New Theory x2 $1
Pokegear 3.0 x3 $1
Rare Candy x4 $16
Junk Arm x4 $3
Plus Power x3 $1
Pokemon Communication x2 $1
Revive x1 <$1
Professor Elm’s Training Method x1 <$1
Energy Retrieval x1 <$1
Fire Energy x10 $2
Rescue Energy x2 $1

You could build this deck for roughly $100 or less

WCS winning plants (again minimum rarity)
Plants
Monsters: 22
1 Spirit Reaper $2
1 Dandylion $5
1 Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning $35
3 Tour Guide From the Underworld $350
1 Debris Dragon $2
2 Maxx “C” $100
3 Reborn Tengu $36
1 Glow-Up Bulb $40
2 Effect Veiler $30
1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness $4
2 Thunder King Rai-Oh $18
1 Sangan $2
1 Caius the Shadow Monarch $8
1 Lonefire Blossom $6
1 Spore $1

Spells: 13
1 Scapegoat $1
1 Monster Reborn $2
2 Mystical Space Typhoon $2
1 Book of Moon $1
2 Enemy Controller $3
1 Foolish Burial $1
1 Heavy Storm $2
1 Dark Hole $2
1 One for One $3
1 Mind Control $1
1 Pot of Avarice $3

Traps: 6
1 Call of the Haunted $1
2 Solemn Warning $20
1 Solemn Judgment $3
1 Trap Dustshoot $1
1 Torrential Tribute $1

Extra Deck: 15
1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier $30
1 Orient Dragon $30
1 Number 17: Leviathan Dragon $3
1 Formula Synchron $4
1 Stardust Dragon $5
1 Leviair the Sea Dragon $25
1 Ally of Justice Catastor $18
1 Scrap Dragon $35
1 T.G. Hyper Librarian $30
1 Steelswarm Roach $55
1 Number 39: Utopia $4
1 Armory Arm $5
1 Black Rose Dragon $15
1 Ancient Fairy Dragon $5
1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier $35

Side Deck: 15
1 Chain Disappearance $8
1 Debunk $7
1 Dust Tornado $1
2 Bottomless Trap Hole $3
2 Mind Crush $1
1 Mystical Space Typhoon $1
2 Leeching the Light $2
2 D.D. Crow $3
2 Cyber Dragon $6
1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon $5

Yugioh deck comes out to just over $1000, and thats assumig minimum rarity, which many player use maximum rarity adding $300++ to the deck easy

TLDR; Don't complain about pokemon being "expensive"

$0

I haven't bought cards in eons (though I cherish and keep my old ones in mint condition). Occasionally I may buy a used game, though usually not a current gen one.

More then I should, seeing as I don't have a job. $300+

I should really start taking advantage of Pre-releases, when the Head sells packs for $3. $1 cheaper then the store and that tends to add up.

IDK how much i spend or how much i've spent, but when i got back into the game all i did was buy packs, but since then i've finally realized that buying singles will save alot of money and i started trading more so i have saved alot of money in the past few months.

DNA said:
I just Googled it.
Although I do not play Magic, I do have a good grasp of the rules of the game, and man, that card is ridiculous.

edit: tour guide went up in price again what

Add time walk to that list. Why yes, I would like to take another turn.

Honestly, though, the cost to play could be cut a bit if they would let us use old version of new cards that were given a different name. I just bought 6 gust of winds to use as proxies for a total of 60 cents. Why do I have to pay $15 for a pokemon catcher. Its the same freaking card!

Because Nintendo doesn't make a profit off of that. They know you'll pay for a Pokémon Catcher instead of settling for a less potent deck or giving up the TCG altogether.

How much is Serra Avatar selling for nowadays? I knew someone in high school who got his hands on one, and he was unbeaten for as long as I saw him.

Back