Pokemon Pokemon is expensive!

aggron

Aspiring Trainer
How much do you spend on anything pokemon related throughout a year. This includes video games, tcg, and anything else pokemon. I spend around 150 us dollars every year.

If my bank account wasn't in the state it's in now, I would spend around 50 uk pounds.

I managed to get my hands on a cheap Platinum and White this year so I was set. As for merchandise, I don't buy much now as internet isn't an option and the places where I live don't sell much Pokemon related. I'm doing the opposite in TCG and selling them all on a friends account. I don't get much anymore and for something that's had a massive impact on my gaming life I should really get more Pokemon stuff. However I am still searching for boxed R/B/Y before they sky rocket in price.

Zero.

And it's probably going to stay that way for a while. That doesn't mean I'm not a Pokemon fan. It just means I'm not a fan of the merchandise. =D

Maybe about $1100. I buy cards by the box for myself and every tournament I run.

I buy packs here & there for $4 each & maybe a pre-constructed deck or two for $10-15 & I spend about $25 on events probably two or three times a year so.. I would say somewhere around $100 to $125 a year & only buy tcg related merchandise.

Aaahhhh, probably more than I should. Maybe $100, but I play only TCG. And I bought Black this year so bump that up to $130 for this year.

How much I pay a year? I dunno, $30 or so? It's whatever new video game they release, and to my knowledge they only release one a year or so.
I spend absolutely nothing on cards (haven't bought a pack since Rising Rivals), as whenever I staff at an event I get paid in packs.

That's my secret to keeping me going. You become a judge and profit.

I spend a ton, but make it back using eBay. I spend maybe $50 a year.

Hmmm I'm kind of a collector so I will buy the tins so I'm gonna say about $250-$300 a year? I have 2 of each BW tin (2 Tepig, 2 Oshawott, 2 Snivy, 2 Reshi, 2 Zekrom) and I get all the figurines....I'm trying for all the Jumbo cards now :/

I'm a Pokemon addict. I restarted my card collection early September, since then I've bought the Reshiram box, Zekrom box, currently in the process of trying to get the Super Snivy box (hopefully I'll get that today). I already have the Oshawott one so that just leaves Tepig. Then I've also bought the Winter tins, Reshiram and Zekrom Tins, Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott tins, Victini box, Darumaka box, tons of blister packs, more boosters than I can count and a Noble Victories Booster Box, which I'm pretty excited about. Then there's eBay, I love buying stuff from there. So maybe around... £700? Whoops. Oh and I bought the Black and White DS Game. Black I believe.

I used to spend about 500 CAD a year, but since I stopped, all I've bought is one copy of each video game.

I don't play tcg and I'm not one who needs both version of one game, so it's about 40 something dollars a year.

between March or April and September of this year (5 or 6 months), I've already spent around 600€ between cards and the video games (including the special BW DSi)... And I'm not even rich, Imagine if I were...

I usually get more than 20 plush per year. Each plushie is about 6 dollars, but sometimes I buy an imported one, they cost over 10 dollars.

I buy other merch. I get deck boxes, hats, sleeves, etc. Usually happens at events. Last Regionals I spent around 50 dollars worth of merch.

I do buy cards, but not a lot. I used to buy packs, but I don't anymore unless it's in booster box form or prerelease form, sometimes tin form.

I do buy video games. I buy both versions because I know I'll eventually get them both anyways.

To me, this isn't all that much. It's my only hobby besides video games.

I've always wondered about those kids I see walking by holding 3 or 4 boxes of booster packs and how much they spend in a year. I see them in every tournament I go to (besides pre-releases), and they act spoiled beyond belief.

Me, I typically buy one of the main series games about once every two years (averaging about $15 per year), and I now pretty much only get cards at pre-releases (I usually attend 3 per year, so it's $75). I also occasionally pick up plushes at toy stores or at conventions, and it's roughly 2 per year ($12). So that's roughly $102, or $111 with tax.

I probably spend around 7-800 a year. Note that that doesn't include hotel expenses for Nats which would drive it up quite a bit more. I have family so I don't have to worry about hotels for my Regionals.

I haven't spent a buck over 20$ outside prereleases for cards in almost a 6 months. Winning packs and trading is all I need.

When i got into Pokémon, that was in the middle of 2005, if i remember right. I first spend nothing for cards, but then more and more. It all begun with a 'LeafGreen' theme deck (the one with Beedrill and Ivysaur), and ended in spending 200-400€ in a year for Pokémon trading cards. I never played competitively, since i suffer from social problems (maybe agoraphobia), and there are no weekly events here anyway. I had no contacts into the scene, and really few persons to trade cards with, so i stopped collecting cards in late 2010. Of course, i still play the video games and buy most of them. In case of paired versions, i purchase the one which i consider better, since there mostly the exact same game.

Now, i started again with "Red Collection". I've grown more flexible and card collecting is now a hobby, with which i come up loosely. I still buy some cards on E-Bay, but i don't purchase every box/set/sub-set that comes out. My clear limit for Pokémon cards sits at an absolute maximum of 400 Euros per year., but it will be very probably not even reached. I spend most time collecting looking cards up on E-Bay, or searching at local flea markets.

Now, back from my personal story to the main topic. Pokémon, with the TCG included is definitely expensive. Paying $3 to 4 for ten cards, from which in best case 7, and in worst case 10 are completely worthless. Not mentioning that they are produced for estimated 10 cents. Impulse purchase, the desire to discover what's inside, and great marketing with slogans like "He wants to be 'the very best", to fuel the competitive thinking of young kids. That and many more components make the Pokémon TCG the established franchise it is today. The reasons why i still collect them are the original concept of Tajiri and Sugimori, the interpretation in form of card artworks and, of course the fandom.

For the parents, who are upset that their kids throw their money away. Exploitation is everywhere. (This is, of course not an counter-argument. Just a statement for augmented awareness.)

Renoir over.

No money at all.

Exactly why merchandise like that is a waste of time.

Back