News 'Pokemon: I Choose You!' Movie 20 Summary!

GoldenYungoos

A shiny Yungoos appeared!
In my opinion this movie will suck, Ash is a poorly designed character as well, @Halsal34
I hope so and if you're wrong, I have one message: READ THE MANGA

Rindon

Aspiring Trainer
i hope the movie comes to A theatre near me in Ontario. I haven't been able to see a pokemon movie in theatre since Pokemon 4ever.

Srmb

Physics, that's what pokemon is all about!
I just have to wait till it's on DVD. Not even such as a theater in my country

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I won't be seeing this movie. I grew up with Pokemon lore that makes the series mean something to me and I can't support what they are doing to the series I grew up with. They are changing the major events of the series into something else that didn't happen. I tolerated them adding Mega Evolutions to the Pokemon Generations series and even as a spinoff, it still kept to what it was at its roots but Ash never met a Marshadow in Kanto.

I have no idea why they just couldn't make another movie about Marshadow without having to remake what season one of Pokemon was about but I guess I'm missing something.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
We'll expect a trailer on Burning Shadows release day, an a Salazzle event which I expectedly Marshie because Marshie was in that set. That sucks.

Anyways, as I expected.

Lostlorn Forest

Alola is the best region
Throughout the years ever since the premiere of the Diamond and Pearl anime, I thought it was a personal decision of Ash's original English VA to leave. I couldn't imagine that they would let go such an iconic voice, rooted so deeply in many peoples childhoods. Little did I know she (Veronica Taylor) has been lightly campaigning to return for this one movie and seems oblivious to why they sacked her in the first place. That's really my only hope for this movie. I'll probably go anyway but the newest voice has only ever resonated to me as the curves of the dollar signs in The Pokemon Company's eyes.

silversalamence10

Top Hat Regulator
On one hand, I think it's cool that they're doing this. On the other I'm probs gonna end up waiting for it to come out on DVD as I have an inkling that if there are screenings in the UK, it'll most likely be too far away from where I live, and I'm not holding my hopes up for the film to air on TV at some point in the future after the theatrical screening either.

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
I have no idea why they just couldn't make another movie about Marshadow without having to remake what season one of Pokemon was about but I guess I'm missing something.
Main reason I'd like to hope it exists is because it is finally Ho_Oh's chance to maascot breakthrough that she has rightfully deserved and make a deus ex machina plot twist at the end to justify all of the surreal encounters that were just as daft as the first movie managed to contrive the whole time spent as a contradiction (2 actually, well at least in the English dub but thats another story...). If you think my last sentence was to mock your precious views of the original series, it wasn't my intention. ;)

Snibachi

Aspiring Trainer
Hoping this comes to a theater near me. I was lucky enough that DBZ Resurrection of Frieza did.
Not sure how I'll feel about all of the changes though, but it'll be fun to (hopefully) see it in theaters with my son. I was around his age when I saw the first Pokemon movies in theaters.

As for the changes, I'm guessing they're canon? I don't know, the movies have always felt out of place to me. Like the DBZ films, the movies always seem like they could fit within the continuity, but at the same time, they feel like a side story or "what if" scenario. I know this is marketed as a retelling, but I don't think its meant to be a straight up retcon. I hope not anyway.

Cottonmouth25

Flying-type Enthusiast
As for the changes, I'm guessing they're canon? I don't know, the movies have always felt out of place to me. Like the DBZ films, the movies always seem like they could fit within the continuity, but at the same time, they feel like a side story or "what if" scenario. I know this is marketed as a retelling, but I don't think its meant to be a straight up retcon. I hope not anyway.

I don't think it's meant to be a retcon either - I simply consider it to be an alternate way of telling the story of Ash's original adventures around Kanto. Your point about the movies feeling "out of place" is also something I can agree on. The impression I get is that the movies and TV show are supposed to remain separate, with the movies taking material from the anime but twisting it into their own separate continuity. The fact that the anime never mentions the events of the movies just strengthens this belief.

Mezzo

Aspiring Trainer
I won't be seeing this but I sure love to see the Genwunners who will go see this movie for nostalgia thinking it's a retelling of the first few episodes in a grander movie scale only to be disappointed since they're gonna add some randos and a pokemon they don't even know about. Typical Genwunners, not keeping up with anything besides Generation 1 stuff.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I won't be seeing this but I sure love to see the Genwunners who will go see this movie for nostalgia thinking it's a retelling of the first few episodes in a grander movie scale only to be disappointed since they're gonna add some randos and a pokemon they don't even know about. Typical Genwunners, not keeping up with anything besides Generation 1 stuff.

It's not this who "genwunner" thing for me. There are a lot of important things in the series I assume they will skip. Ash only has his Butterfree because he caught a Pidegeotto trying to eat his Caterpie. To me, Ash's important moments were when he got Pikachu, Saw Ho-Oh, got Pidgeotto and Charmander, leaving his Pidgeot and Butterfree and leaving Kanto and I have a feeling they are going to skip most of this.

When they go an remake these things, they leave out things that were memories for a lot of people for the sake of a newer generation rather than just showing what was loved about it in the first place.

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
I hope they give away special promo cards like they did back when the original Pokemon movie came out back in the day. I would actually go to the theater if they did.

AverageAvenger

Canadian Card Fox
I'm ready to hear Mike Pollock when the movie comes out. He was great as Volcanion and now he says that he's going to be in the dub for I Choose You, so that makes me really excited.

Zeno

The Wanderer
I hope it is a preliminary list, because I'd be very surprised if the Alamo Draft house in Winchester, VA didn't host it. They've been big on hosting anime movies and limited releases over the past few years.