News 'Pokemon: I Choose You!' Movie 20 Summary!

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
Basically they didn't know how to fit the newer characters and pokemon in to the original story so they just made an alternate universe.

Generations retold the pokemon game story with the inclusion of newer features here and there and that series was really good. I'm gonna go and watch it again now.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
No, Necrozma was never in this movie. He'll probably be in the next one with the Ultra Beasts if they don't delegate them to the anime.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer
So i guess in this canon AU he meets Misty and Brock some other way?

Wonder how he met them in this AU and what adventures they had.

precita

Aspiring Trainer
Did people seriously think the writers cared about Misty/Brock? After the original Kanto season ended, the writers didn't even care about Misty/Brock much when they were actually still on the show.

Considering it's also been nearly 15 years (!) since Misty was permanently dropped from the anime way back in 2002, it's rather obvious they weren't going to go back to her after nearly two decades of her being absent from the series. However what they should have done is had Leaf the female character from FR/LG as Ash's companion, and not create this new girl with the Piplup.

Weedle_McHairybug

Aspiring Trainer
Did people seriously think the writers cared about Misty/Brock? After the original Kanto season ended, the writers didn't even care about Misty/Brock much when they were actually still on the show.

Considering it's also been nearly 15 years (!) since Misty was permanently dropped from the anime way back in 2002, it's rather obvious they weren't going to go back to her after nearly two decades of her being absent from the series. However what they should have done is had Leaf the female character from FR/LG as Ash's companion, and not create this new girl with the Piplup.

Charizard took about six years since his last appearance. And besides which, they waited ten to thirteen years for Jessiebelle to make a reappearance. By your logic, they should never have returned, period, because it took so long for them to do so.

Also, I might as well point out that the fact that she got merchandise sold like hotcakes last year and even this year with those Gachapon preorders shows that she was marketable as well, meaning that even if the writers didn't care for her, they are obligated by sales to showcase her nonetheless.

And besides which, it's the 20th anniversary, they clearly marketed it for the audiences who would have been old enough to remember the first episode, and then pulled a fast one there, that's a jerk move regardless of whether the writers liked her or not. Heck, both Misty and Brock, alongside Serena, even made the top three characters people want to see return in a certain Japanese poll, which took votes from both 10-19 year olds and people from their 20s, meaning both people who were actually getting started on Pokémon and those who were there since the beginning, and everyone in between, meaning there were plenty of fans, both old-school fans AND younger fans alike, who wished to see Misty and Brock return (in fact, Brock ranked first place, and Misty ranked third). Heck, I also heard that even the Japanese fanbase was outraged at the writers omitting Misty and Brock and took to Twitter to express their displeasure (and in fact, this is I believe the second time they've done that in recent history, the first being the infamous Kalos League results).

Let me put it another way: Dragon Ball: The Path to Power, the 10th anniversary dragon ball film, did something similar, where they retold Goku's first journey. They included all of the old Dragon Ball Gang from the time of the original journey, even Yamcha, who is infamous for basically being the resident punching bag of the group (and it's pretty clear the writers have no care for him since they generally depict him as a weakling). In other words, even if they didn't care about Misty or Brock, they could have at least been respectful of their audience enough to include them all the same. I know if I were the writers, even if I didn't care about Misty or Brock as you claimed, I'd STILL include Misty and Brock in the movie regardless of my own personal feelings precisely BECAUSE I know the fans want them and it is appropriate to use them due to it being the 20th anniversary, and I'd even know they have market potential.

And for the record, the writers attempted to give Misty a lot of Pokeshipping hints during the Orange Islands, and even Takeshi Shudo in his novelization included a Pokeshipping hint in there, and they even gave her plenty of opportunities to continue onward with her goal. If they truly didn't care for her at all after Kanto, why keep her at all after Kanto, much less attempt to give her more limelight and even focus up on Pokeshipping? They could have just as easily done to her what they did to Brock in the Orange Islands alongside Brock himself during that time especially if they truly didn't care about her, especially when technically, if respect from her sisters was all she wanted, they'd boot her after either Princess vs. Princess or The Misty Mermaid (both of which dealt with her actually gaining respect from her sisters). No, the fact of the matter was, most of the writers did in fact care for her. Maybe not Takeshi Shudo or Masamitsu Hidaka, but definitely most of the writers.

What's your problem with those characters, anyway? Every time many of us are justifiably angry over the writers showing blatant disrespect over them, you make snide remarks about how the writers don't care and we should just sit back and forget about it. If I didn't know better, I'd assume you hate the characters themselves and actually are glad they aren't returning. I mean, even a lot of people who otherwise were glad Misty's doing something they consider of value by being forced into the gym are upset over Misty and Brock not returning, even saying there was no way they could have predicted this, yet you if anything are cheerfully taunting us on how the writers don't care about them at all, which suggests to me that you outright dislike them and want them erased. And for the record, I actually dislike Brock especially Johto onward where he was becoming more of a Quagmire clone, not to mention unlike Misty makes very little effort to actually focus on his goal in any way, yet even I don't have it in me to outright erase him, especially when he ultimately played a huge role in how Ash became the trainer he was today, and if anything am disgusted that the writers have such a disrespect for the show's roots.

Anyways, going by the plotline, well, Cross might have been Damian done right, which is probably one of the few things the film gets right alongside Ho-Oh actually receiving focus. Unfortunately, most of the film beyond that was crap (Gary and Ash barely even interact).

Last edited:

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
I hope the next movie has something to do with Deoxys, Rayquaza vs ultrabeasts, where Necrozema and perhaps Silvally comes in late on to help the gen 3 pokemon and the earth to defeat the ultrabeast.

Last edited:

Weedle_McHairybug

Aspiring Trainer
I hope the next movie has something to do with Deoxys, Rayquaza vs ultrabeasts, where Necrozema and perhaps Silvally comes in late on to help the gen 3 pokemon and the earth to defeat the ultrabeast.

We'll see. From what I could gather of the comments, there isn't even a preview of the next movie, so we can't even be sure yet whether there will be one (and it's already got enough problems even without certain controversial treatment of past characters, as it needs to do much better than the Hoopa and Volcanion movies before it at the very least.).

Justine Cordovilla

Aspiring Trainer
It could've been better if they just made a movie about his companions from all seasons and how they lived after parting ways with ash. I have always dreamt about that. Or maybe some separate special episodes like pokemon origins wherein they can showcase their lives. :(

blaa6

Aspiring Trainer
The montage at the end sounds promising.

Attachments

• 62192391_p0_master1200.jpg
    62192391_p0_master1200.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 11

IAmDatOneHuman

Aspiring Trainer
I'm just happy that Team Rocket did in this movie. I'm basically obsessed with them lol. I really hope there is some sort of Rocketshipping hint because I would die if they didn't put anything significant.

Weedle_McHairybug

Aspiring Trainer
Heh, that's odd... Dogasu indicated there was a teaser for the film (kind of, no animation for it, but just a message that it will be released in 2018). However, people on here acted as if there WAS no teaser for the movie. Oh well... Well, wonder what they're going to do for the next one? They haven't announced an eighth generation yet or even given ANY indication that there will be a new generation (I mean, we hadn't gotten any new gen Pokémon debuts in various generations early on since... what, Destiny Deoxys?), Ash hasn't even gotten halfway through his trials in SM, and there's also the no small problem about how they no longer have any Mythical Pokémon to unveil this generation (seriously, they should have waited until next movie for Marshadow to come out). They'd REALLY need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for the next one, IF there's going to be a next one, since the fact that they hadn't even bothered to animate a teaser suggests that they may not even bother with a next movie.

Nahiri

Never gonna be President now
They haven't announced an eighth generation yet or even given ANY indication that there will be a new generation (I mean, we hadn't gotten any new gen Pokémon debuts in various generations early on since... what, Destiny Deoxys?),
There's a placeholder for the Pokemon Switch game on a French website (and Canadian BestBuy, iirc) that all but confirms the Switch game will be Gen 8 and that it will presumably debut next year ("Orders shipped by December 31, 2018" where December 31 is a placeholder as well) Not to mention that Reggie Fils-Aime included Pokemon with Kirby, Metroid, and Yoshi with the "2018 is gonna be great for Nintendo!" post-E3.
BestBuy Description
Ash hasn't even gotten halfway through his trials in SM
He's at Akala. He's literally about to fight Olivia.
IF there's going to be a next one, since the fact that they hadn't even bothered to animate a teaser suggests that they may not even bother with a next movie.
There is. It was a text-only teaser confirming a movie for 2018.[/quote]

Attachments

• drench yourself in words unspoken.png
    drench yourself in words unspoken.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 5

Weedle_McHairybug

Aspiring Trainer
There's a placeholder for the Pokemon Switch game on a French website (and Canadian BestBuy, iirc) that all but confirms the Switch game will be Gen 8 and that it will presumably debut next year ("Orders shipped by December 31, 2018" where December 31 is a placeholder as well) Not to mention that Reggie Fils-Aime included Pokemon with Kirby, Metroid, and Yoshi with the "2018 is gonna be great for Nintendo!" post-E3.
BestBuy Description

How can we even be sure that is teasing Gen 8? For all we know, that could just as easily be teasing the Generation IV remakes especially considering the fact that the two characters in the film were blatantly shilling for Generation IV. Until there's an explicit announcement that there will be a Generation 8, we can't say that there is going to be one, as the new Switch game could literally mean anything. And Remakes were considered a pretty big thing among Pokémon (after all, Generation III's remakes of Generation I received quite a bit of fanfare, as did Generation II's remakes in Generation IV.). There is no mention whatsoever of a Generation 8, not even a brief teaser (and believe me, if Nintendo can post a teaser for Metroid Prime 4 at E3 as well as a full-fledged trailer/announcement for Metroid: Samus Returns, since you mentioned that franchise, they can most certainly post a similar teaser for Generation 8). The only thing we know with absolute certainty is that it's Pokémon related, that's it. Besides, considering that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is going to be released this November, it's going to be way too soon to actually get to Gen 8 anyways. Heck, that could even easily be an Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon teaser as well that simply didn't get updated. I checked my Best Buy website, and it makes absolutely no mention about a Pokémon Switch game at all, much less lead to that page you put up. And even IF that was an actual game for Gen 8, that DOESN'T mean that the anime will cover it. The Mario series stopped trying to cover new games in animated TV shows since Super Mario World.

He's at Akala. He's literally about to fight Olivia.

Woah, that fast? Still, he needs to go through all the Trial Captains as well. Then again, the anime did indicate that it would be a whole school year, so...

There is. It was a text-only teaser confirming a movie for 2018.

Yeah, I know that, my prior post literally mentions that in the first sentence within the parentheses. However, most Pokémon films actually have an animated teaser that gives an indication as to what the film could be about. In fact, this is the first time that I can think of where they DON'T have an animated teaser at all, which is definitely unusual.

Besides, just because they plan to release a film in 2018 (which, BTW, the fact that they haven't released an animated teaser, not just a text message about it being released, but a few-second teaser for the new movie, suggests that they don't have big plans for it) doesn't mean that they actually will, especially if Movie 20 turns out to be an utter bomb based on what some people are saying, both among Japanese critics and the whole twitter outrage among the Japanese, and thus they end up not being able to make it due to the studio pressuring them not to due to Pokémon being a money loser in the film industry (I've seen it happen before). Don't forget, that Joel Scumacher guy planned to make another Batman movie, Batman Triumphant, that dealt with Harley Quinn and Scarecrow. However, due to the horrible reception Batman and Robin had, they quietly cancelled it. Another example is the Austin Powers series, which ended with Goldmember despite it pretty clearly setting up a sequel, and also the Chronicles of Narnia series after the release of Voyage of the Dawn Treader due to both legal issues and the fact that, compared to the prior films, the film wasn't much of a success. Something similar also occurred with various TV shows and other mediums, with it being prevalent enough that there's even a trope name for it: Cut Short. Also franchise killer is something similar.

Last edited: