Strategy PokeBeach's Official Sixth Generation Ban List (OU)

RE: PokéBeach's Official XY Ban List

AoH said:
PokeChimpo said:
As far as Smogon ban list, whoopy doo da, the only list that matters officially is the one set by Pokemon.com it'll be nice though battling smogon followers at the VGC.
Well, that all depends on what metagame you specialize in. Since the singles meta isn't officially supported, Smogon is the foremost authority on said meta, and most will tend to follow what's closest to official aka accepted.

I'm glad they banned Gengarite, as that nuisance broke the game more than Chandelure would have in BW. Next on the list by popular demand seems to be Kangaskhanite (or whatever it is), but I don't find it horrendously overpowered, just very tricky. Seems like it's teetering on very high OU, and now that it could jump in usage due to Gengarite's banning, yeah.

~AoH

Pokemon.com has already confirmed there banned Pokemon for VGC 14' and all that's banned is every Pokemon after PokeBank. You can't transfer over mons and use them.

EDIT: Of course Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde are banned as well, the 3 birds are legal.

Anything without the X/Y blue marking is banned (PokeBank) all we can use them for is egg breeding.

Yeah, but Smogon and other sites are communities of people who play by different rules in online servers. Obviously, however, the good OU battlers, for example, are also good in VGC. The metagame is different, but easier, and if one's not stuck complaining "Why did they use MegaKen, it's Uber", but effectively use the available Ubers (or not), they can do great.
Anyway, this isn't the topic here.
MegaKhan is definitely an amazing threat. However, it's obviously not flawless. Let's see:
100 Base Speed, that's good, but it's something of an average in OU.
Doesn't resist any of the entry hazards (then again, nor does it have a weakness).
It's easy to troll and play around if you're careful. For example, I've found Sub+Disable Gengar to be an amazing check or even counter to MegaKhan. It's rare for MegaKhan to have any move apart from Sucker Punch to hit Ghosts in general, and 8PP with PP Max means the move can easily be stalled out of PP. Generally,most Pokemon that MegaKhan can defeat with Sucker Punch, but not with its other attacks, can troll it. In other words, it's too Sucker Punch dependent in cases, which is bad.
Do I think it's one of the best OU Pokemon? Yes. Do I think it's Uber? Probably not. And even if it gets there, I don't know how much play it will see.

Anything without the X/Y blue marking is banned (PokeBank) all we can use them for is egg breeding.
Or sketching Dark Void onto Smeargle, which is legal.
Do you realize what this means? ...I thought so.

As far as Smogon ban list, whoopy doo da, the only list that matters officially is the one set by Pokemon.com it'll be nice though battling smogon followers at the VGC.
They only have a banlist for Doubles and their banlist goes off of completely different criteria. Whether or not it 'matters' is irrelevant.

unsheathed said:
No, but you can argue that Blazikenite is banned by association with Blaziken. Other than that, all Mega Stones are allowed. There is talk about doing something with Gengarite. When the time comes, we'll follow whatever Smogon's official decision is on that Mega Stone.

You can make your Aegislash hold a Blazekenite if you really want to and I won't have any complaints about it.

PokeChimpo said:
I agree with you, but SR is used less then in pass gens, it gets easier to counter, 9 out of 10 teams I battle against use Talonflame, some throw on Choice Band and do extra damage. The 81 base attack doesn't apply when all you do is SD into Brave Bird/Blits. It's pretty much like Talonflame having a base 130 in attack. Without Gale Wings Talonflame would still be OU off its super high speed, only dropping to priority. With Gale Wings and a team to throw out and rid hazards. What's really stopping it from taking 3-4 KOs?

I still stand beside what I said before, if MGengar and MKhan get the boot then so does Talonflame, whom is more of a threat than both

I feel the need to respond to this because I've been using Talonflame a lot this generation and have laddered quite highly with it. I have the most experience with Choice Band because I believe it is Talonflame's best and most consistent set.

First of all, Stealth Rock is /not/ used less now than in past generations, Stealth Rock is a staple and should be on every single team with no exceptions. And this is not Talonflame's fault, Stealth Rock is needed because it provides a check to several pokemon that would otherwise have a completely free reign of terror including Volcarona, Yanmega, Charizard, and most importantly, Multiscale Dragonite. Talonflame just happens to fall into the same category by mere coincidence.

Second of all, while I do agree that Talonflame is quite threatening after it sets up a Swords Dance, it is a lot harder to do so than you're making it out to be. Talonflame is ridiculously frail, even if Stealth Rock doesn't happen to be set up. Almost any time you use Swords Dance you're at risk of eating a status move or a hit. I feel like it is more efficient to run something like U-turn or Tailwind in the last slot because you either keep momentum going, or support the team more effectively. In addition, even after you set up a Swords Dance, there are still several pokemon that will check Talonflame including defensive and Scarf Rotom-W, Dragonite, Heatran, anything with Extremespeed, and Aegislash (Shadow Sneak goes first if you use Flare Blitz and it resists Brave Bird!!)

Lastly, and I mean this for everybody, not just one specific person, debating whether or not Talonflame is "more broken" or "more of a threat" than Mega Kangaskhan is incredibly silly because both of these pokemon perform incredibly different roles. That's like debating which Deoxys forme is the best or whether Azelf or Skarmory are better. You can't do it because they all do different things and it's not possible to compare them. Talonflame is best at cleaning up teams after they're softened up late-game, Kangaskhan is good at setting up, taking hits, and powering through teams rather than cleaning them up after they're softened. They're different.

Now on the topic of Mega Gengar:
Astra said:
Gengarite has been quickbanned on Smogon.

Thank God. Shadow Tag is (obviously aside from Wonder Guard) the best ability in this game, hands-down. Gengar's ability to trap and KO anything it needs to is unparalelled due to its power, speed and movepool. And to whoever it was that said Gengar can only score 1 or 2 KOs, that's exactly the point. Gengar can pick and choose whatever 2 pokemon it wants to KO and there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it. This makes the game incredibly one-sided because you can't stop a Dragonite after Mega Gengar has KO'd both of your Dragonite checks. Mega Gengar chooses what it KOs and this makes it incredibly easy for any pokemon behind the Mega Gengar to run through the rest of your team.

DNA said:
Or sketching Dark Void onto Smeargle, which is legal.
Do you realize what this means? ...I thought so.

Have they changed the rule? Because in BW2 the move Dark Void was banned.

I'll quote the excerpt from the official document for you:

9.1. Standard Format
The Standard format is the standard tournament format for Play! Pokémon video game events. This format will be used at all premier events unless specified otherwise. The Standard format for the 2014 season will use the following restrictions:
 Only Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Game Cards or downloadable versions are permitted for use.
 Players may only use Pokémon from the Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #153, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147.
 Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
 Pokémon are allowed to Mega Evolve.
 Pokémon above Level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration of battle.
 Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities.
 Players may use items that have been officially released via Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.
9.2. Kalos Native
Pokémon used in the Standard Format must be native to the Kalos region in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. A native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched, distributed to, or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. Pokémon that have been transferred to Pokémon X or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter are not native.

~Only Pokemon in any Kalos Dex are allowed, with the exception of Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Mewtwo. The Kanto birds are legal.
~Only Pokemon originating in an X/Y game may be used.
~Hidden Abilities are allowed.
~Items allowed are those that have been officially released.
~Mega Evolution is allowed.

I see nothing about banned moves, and Smeargle is a legal Pokemon.
Have fun.

DNA said:
I'll quote the excerpt from the official document for you:

9.1. Standard Format
The Standard format is the standard tournament format for Play! Pokémon video game events. This format will be used at all premier events unless specified otherwise. The Standard format for the 2014 season will use the following restrictions:
 Only Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Game Cards or downloadable versions are permitted for use.
 Players may only use Pokémon from the Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #153, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147.
 Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
 Pokémon are allowed to Mega Evolve.
 Pokémon above Level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration of battle.
 Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities.
 Players may use items that have been officially released via Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.
9.2. Kalos Native
Pokémon used in the Standard Format must be native to the Kalos region in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. A native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched, distributed to, or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. Pokémon that have been transferred to Pokémon X or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter are not native.

~Only Pokemon in any Kalos Dex are allowed, with the exception of Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Mewtwo. The Kanto birds are legal.
~Only Pokemon originating in an X/Y game may be used.
~Hidden Abilities are allowed.
~Items allowed are those that have been officially released.
~Mega Evolution is allowed.

I see nothing about banned moves, and Smeargle is a legal Pokemon.
Have fun.

Smeargle is one Pokémon and Darkrai is banned of course. Smeargle is easily out sped, this gen especially and if you're not running Focus Sash on it then that's a wasted start and you're down 1 Pokémon. MKenga also destroys Smeargle with Focus Sash.

Smeargle is always Scarfed, silly.

DNA said:

Talonflame still gets Prio, would you say Dark Void is more dangerous in singles?

Extreme Speed is also a move that can hurt Smeargle. With Talonflame Extreme Speed is bound to be used more on certain sets.

Klefki can also stop ScarfSmeargle, plus I've played against more Focus Smeargle recently but Dark Void may cause a change up.

A lot of things were around in Gen 5 to give Smeargle a hard time, Dark Void or otherwise. That isn't to say it won't have a hard time in Gen 6 either, but it is something that people definitely need to be on the lookout for.

DNA said:
A lot of things were around in Gen 5 to give Smeargle a hard time, Dark Void or otherwise. That isn't to say it won't have a hard time in Gen 6 either, but it is something that people definitely need to be on the lookout for.

I agree, I don't expect to see it on every team but we'll see how it goes this gen.

Dark Void is probably not mentioned because nothing native to Kalos can learn it. If Darkrai is ever released via an event, they will probably amend the rules to ban Dark Void.

PMJ said:
Dark Void is probably not mentioned because nothing native to Kalos can learn it. If Darkrai is ever released via an event, they will probably amend the rules to ban Dark Void.

Tell me when Pokebank is open (which is before VGC) and I'll go check to see if they changed it.

Bank is released late December.

Would there be a way to obtain Dark Void on Smeargle even if Darkrai was transferred in? Link battles wouldn't work, would they?

PokeChimpo said:
DNA said:

Talonflame still gets Prio, would you say Dark Void is more dangerous in singles?

Extreme Speed is also a move that can hurt Smeargle. With Talonflame Extreme Speed is bound to be used more on certain sets.

Klefki can also stop ScarfSmeargle, plus I've played against more Focus Smeargle recently but Dark Void may cause a change up.

To answer your question, no, Dark Void is not more dangerous in singles. The reason it's so dangerous in doubles is that it puts both of the opposing pokemon to sleep at the same time. (if it hits.) In singles, Spore is much superior due to its 100% accuracy. Yeah, you don't hit Grass-types, given that there's only 4 or 5 Grass-types with a real chance at ending up in OU, I'll take the 100% accuracy.

PMJ said:
Bank is released late December.

Would there be a way to obtain Dark Void on Smeargle even if Darkrai was transferred in? Link battles wouldn't work, would they?

You can do a double battle in the game and have Smeargle Sketch it off your own Pokemon.

Pffft, the day Smogon ban Talonflame is the day I stop accepting them as a competitive authority. It's far too frail and is crippled by SR, it's going to be OU for sure but it can't get banned, it would be silly.

I personally feel MegaKhan is fine where it is, it's super powerful and can run through a whole team but it's easy to play around.

The one thing I'm hoping DOESN'T get banned this Gen is Excadrill, I honestly don't feel it's ban material with Mold Breaker. I know they banned it based on Sand Rush and them not wanting to ban the ability as a whole but perma-weather has gone now so it's got its drawbacks now.

MegaKhan has a hard time sweeping in my opinion as it lacks boosting moves for its speed, and we all know how crowded base 100 is.

In particular, Terrakion loves switching on on it as it outspeeds, and gets +2 from Sucker Punch. Rocky Helmets on Steel-types, particularly Ferrothorn, also exist as an option as Fire Punch is really rare.

lol you guys simply aren't playing against competent Kang players then.

There are no winning strategies against a decently played Mega Kang. You best bet is to sac a mon and revenge it with a faster Fighting attack, or status it and see how much of your team you can preserve until it runs itself dry. And you better hope to god that the thing you sacrificed didn't let Kang get the +2 PUP boost.

Oh, and in PokeBank it can 2HKO most of the metagame with Seismic Toss which requires no attack investment, and throw around Wish support with a chunky 105 base HP. Great. Fantastic.

bacon said:
Oh, and in PokeBank it can 2HKO most of the metagame with Seismic Toss

I know I just woke up, but that's the scariest thing I've heard all day (or probably will hear).

Doesn't Kangaskhan get walled by Mega Gengar? For khan to be effective (before Gengar comes in, I know of scrappy) it will need to Mega Evolve and once that happens Kangaskhan is pretty much dead unless you switch out..

Can anyone else confirm that sucker punch doesn't 1HKO an Aegislash? Which in return 1HKOs kangaskhan like no one's business.

Hazards are also annoying vs kangaskhan.

Back