XY Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Why Should They Learn Them?

RE: Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Generation 6 Update

Atadiusti said:
Whitefire said:
Then it shouldn't be allowed to learn peck, even.

I take it you haven't been pecked by a bird of prey then? I have. In wasn't my finest foray into animal care. The curve in the beak doesn't make it impossible to peck.

My point is if it cant peck something when simply spinning then why can it peck at all.

Just because something doesn't have the airborne maneuverability to barrel roll fast enough to use its beak as a drill doesn't mean it can't peck...

Whitefire said:
Atadiusti said:
I take it you haven't been pecked by a bird of prey then? I have. In wasn't my finest foray into animal care. The curve in the beak doesn't make it impossible to peck.

My point is if it cant peck something when simply spinning then why can it peck at all.

Pecking is a downward arcing motion. Drill Peck is a straight-forward motion.

I honestly dare any of you to bring having a long beak or being airborne into the the discussion. More birds should have drill peck. It makes no sense for them not to and it's obviously possible. If Piplup can do it, Staraptor can.

piplup_peck.png

800px-Dawn_Piplup_Drill_Peck.png

It's not about the size or length of the beak. I maintain that any beak that curves sharply down cannot be proficiently used as a drill. Also, some Pokemon may not have the ability to corkscrew so tightly or quickly like that, hindering the ability to Drill Peck.

RE: Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Generation 6

Metalizard said:
I found 2 more...
Tyrantrum can't learn any Fire attacks. This complaint may seem weird at first as it is not a Fire-type but when you consider that other Rock, Dragon and/or Dinossaur-like pokémon like Aggron, Rhyperior, Tyranitar and Druddigon can, it doesn't make sense that Tyrantrum can't spit flames or learn a single fire move, more specifically, Fire Fang. Unless it learns the Elemental fangs through breeding, Strong Jaw is a useless ability cause it only learns Bite and Crunch. There are other Pokémon which would make better use of that ability like, again, Tyranitar and specially Drapion which also has Bug Bite and Poison Fang besides all the other biting moves...

The second one is Dedenne, which is Electric/Fairy. It only learns Play Rough as a damaging Fairy move but its Sp. Atk is much better than its Attack, it doesn't even learn Dazzling Gleam... Wasted Fairy STAB...
Dedenne is a good Adamant pokemon due to Nuzzle and Play Rough I used to use this kind of Dedenne.. Now if it can learn Volt Tackle It wouldn't need a Sp.Attack EV. That is how I see Dedenne and I can't help you with Tyrantrum because it is true >:V

Atadiusti said:
It's not about the size or length

It's so good a setup that being unable to make the joke hurts, physically hurts... DAMN YOU PG13!

The way I see it, the issue with flying pokemon is similar than what happens with grass pokemon, some use mainly flowers, other powders, other leaves, and in the case of flying types, some use mainly wings, some use beaks, some use wind, some use speed, etc, maybe drill peck just isn't fitting for staraptor.

The anime and the games are so different ('AIM FOR THE HORN', anybody?) that I don't consider one when discussing the other.

And Tyrantrum can learn Fire Fang through breeding.

My question, though, is why can almost every Pokemon learn Toxic? They're ALL poisonous?!

FoxFire said:
My question, though, is why can almost every Pokemon learn Toxic? They're ALL poisonous?!

My only guess is that every Pokemon carries some potential toxins in their body which only have the strength to Poison other Pokemon. (ie lots of them don't have powerful enough toxins to use proper attacks like Sludge Bomb)

It's weird though, I've always thought it should be a move only exclusive to all Poison types.

What really sucks is that the Marill line is Fairy but can only learn one Fairy move (Play Rough) at Lv. 50. At the very least, give it Dazzling Gleam through TM!

Bolt the Cat said:
What really sucks is that the Marill line is Fairy but can only learn one Fairy move (Play Rough) at Lv. 50. At the very least, give it Dazzling Gleam through TM!

This one doesn't bother me much, with the Marill line being physical attackers.

On a somewhat tangential question ... since the idea of dual-type moves was opened with Flying Press, why is Scald not Water/Fire?

FoxFire said:

Well we really need more physical Fairy moves too.

Forgive me if this has been discussed here already, but im having a rough time finding a good moveset for Mawile, i tried teaching it several moves i thought it would be able to learn (Dazzling gleam for example) and its not able to learn anything practically!!

i must be missing something. (sorry again if this has been posted already)

emmah said:
Forgive me if this has been discussed here already, but im having a rough time finding a good moveset for Mawile, i tried teaching it several moves i thought it would be able to learn (Dazzling gleam for example) and its not able to learn anything practically!!

i must be missing something. (sorry again if this has been posted already)
There are only three Fairy Type moves Mawile can learn at the moment.
  • Play Rough
  • Fairy Wind
  • Misty Terrain
If Mawile could learn Dazzling Gleam, it wouldn't be much of a useful attack seeing that Mawile's base attack stat is 85 while it's base special attack stat is only 55.

I thought Mawile was more defensive anyway.

Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Generation 6 Update

FoxFire said:
Bolt the Cat said:

On a somewhat tangential question ... since the idea of dual-type moves was opened with Flying Press, why is Scald not Water/Fire?

I can only imagine they didn't want to change it for consistency reasons.
But Volcanion's Steam Eruption seems like it could be a great candidate for a dual typed move, especially as Volcanion is a Fire/Water.... But it looks like its just a better power Scald :/

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

His Goominess said:
FoxFire said:

I can only imagine they didn't want to change it for consistency reasons.
But Volcanion's Steam Eruption seems like it could be a great candidate for a dual typed move, especially as Volcanion is a Fire/Water.... But it looks like its just a better power Scald :/

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well, instead of it being a Water type like Scald, it could instead be a Fire type move.

Blob55 said:

absolutely agree, just wondering if it could learn anything better that what mine currently knows attack wise. A good STAB would help, all i have right now is crunch and that doesnt do too much :p

I always like to equip mine with at least one or two good attack moves even if that isnt necessarily their strong point.

emmah said:
Blob55 said:

absolutely agree, just wondering if it could learn anything better that what mine currently knows attack wise. A good STAB would help, all i have right now is crunch and that doesnt do too much :p

I always like to equip mine with at least one or two good attack moves even if that isnt necessarily their strong point.

I use SD/Sucker Punch/Iron Head/ Play-rough.

Back