XY Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Why Should They Learn Them?

RE: Pokémon That Don't Learn Attacks That Fit Them - Generation 6 Update

Reggie McGigas said:
Gyrados Should Have
-Crunch
-Outrage
-Elemental Fangs

Don't forget to explain why you feel Gyarados should learn those moves.

Well, Gyarados should learn Crunch at least, because it turns into a Dark Type when it Mega Evolves.
As for the Elemental Fangs, it has huge Fangs for teeth. It would make sense.

I thought it was pretty obvious why, but

Gyrados should have outrage- It trashes and destroys things when it's mad
Gyrados should have elemental fangs- It has huge teeth, plus it can learn ice fang already when it isn't an ice type
Gyrados should have crunch- So it can take advantage of it's STAB Dark type when in Mega Form and not have to deal with Bite

RE: Moves that Pokémon should get but don't - Gen VI Edition

Metalizard said:
don()shinobi said:
I wouldn't exactly expect a graceful, live-granting being to play rough. I'd expect it to give life and fight when necessary.

Xerneas learns Megahorn, Close Combat and Giga Impact by level up... Seems actually quite offensive to me for a graceful pokémon... I was surprised when I saw its learnset had the latter two moves... heck, even its stats, I thought it would be more defensive oriented judging by its look...

Speaking of Dazzling Gleam... It seems that pokémon related to gems and such are likely to learn it. Well, Sableye, an example of such pokémon learns it but Gigalith, another example, doesn't...

Xerneas is a deer. Did you notice the size of its rack? Mega horn fits. As does giga impact in a way. Imagine Xerneas jumping high and slamming into the ground. Close combat . . . deer can be scary up close OK?

Reggie McGigas said:

Gyrados should have elemental fangs- It has huge teeth, plus it can learn ice fang already when it isn't an ice type
Gyrados should have crunch- So it can take advantage of it's STAB Dark type when in Mega Form and not have to deal with Bite

I agree that Gyarados should learn Outrage and Crunch, but a giant water serpent doesn't have much business biting with fangs made of fire or electricity.
But then again, it can learn Flamethrower...

Keeper of Night said:
Reggie McGigas said:

I agree that Gyarados should learn Outrage and Crunch, but a giant water serpent doesn't have much business biting with fangs made of fire or electricity.
But then again, it can learn Flamethrower...

Octillery can learn thunderbolt and even flamethrower.

Come to think about it at least seven water types (counting evolutions and legendaries as well) can learn Thunderbolt . . . Including Gyarados.

Ok so now I am wondering why it can't learn fire fang or thunder fang now.

Now if only Magikarp could learn moves like those via breeding for Gyarados *sighs*

And to the person who kind of stated that if a bird can not spin while pecking something then it shouldn't be able to peck I just have to say that makes no freaking sense at all.

I would say that if a bird can't peck something then it has no business learning drill peck. In which case all the pokemon that can learn drill peck have conical beaks rather than curved beaks.

Also, have you ever had a bird of prey peck you? Like that one guys said it will probably hurt, a lot. Those beaks are deadly.

Prince Dedenne, Bulldoze being a physical move confuses you?

I just imagine that after stomping on the ground pillars of rock (happens in the pokemon world) appear in front of the opponent and the user literally bulldozes right through that pillar of rock or ground and hurts the opponent's pokemon.

Blob55 said:
Raptor9229 said:
Prince Dedenne, Bulldoze being a physical move confuses you?

I just imagine that after stomping on the ground pillars of rock (happens in the pokemon world) appear in front of the opponent and the user literally bulldozes right through that pillar of rock or ground and hurts the opponent's pokemon.

Wouldn't that make it a Rock type move? I just imagine the Pokémon running into the opponent, while flattening the ground.

It would still be attached to the ground and that one too, just stomping on the ground for bulldoze does not tell us whether or not it literally slams into the for while flattening the ground XD

But I am still confused as to why Gyarados can't learn Thunder Fang and Fire Fang but can learn Flamethrower and Thunderbolt.

If I am not mistaken it can learn Ice beam via TM

And yes it can.

So it learns the three beam moves that match up with the types of the elemental fangs but can't learn the elemental fangs?

Granted those three beam attacks are most likely TM exclusive but Gyarados can still learn them.

It has a huge mouth and is easily angered but can't learn many bite attacks nor anger based attacks?

Blob55 said:
Raptor, can you read my edit?

Well, Gyarados can learn Dragon Rage.

Yes, I read it but that is the anime, they also tend to screw some thing up at times or some things are facepalm worthy.

What can be shown in a certain way in the anime might be completely different in the manga even.

In the anime (the older episodes to be truthful) It seemed a trainer could spam the crap out of Hyper Beam.

Stomping on the ground in the anime may produce a shock wave but what if it both produces a shockwave that knocks the opposing pokemon down and then slamming into them? Why not both? What if the manga decides to go that way?

Also Gyarados has Thrash in its move pool but you will need a heartscale for it. It has quite the shallow level up move pool.

I split some posts into a new thread, since it was getting off-topic here. To discuss what category (special/physical) moves belong to, use this thread.

Drohn said:
I split some posts into a new thread, since it was getting off-topic here. To discuss what category (special/physical) moves belong to, use this thread.

off topic: Holy crap man, when did you get an upgrade? last I saw you post you were not a super moderator.

Back on topic:

Gyarados has a shallow level up move pool, we already established that, it also learns many attacks of different types including dragon types for its draconic basis.

However we have not established why it does not learn crunch or the elemental fangs (besides ice fang).

Someone please contact gamefreak to find out why.

Beheeyem doesn't learn any level up moves that aren't Psychic or Normal, yet it learns Steel Wing though TM. o_O

Dragalge not being able to learn Surf was already mentioned, but Barbaracle not not being able to learn Waterfall... what is this, some cruel joke? You cannot have a single Gen VI pokemon with both Surf and Waterfall STAB unless it's your starter? That's downright torture. :/

It already has a poor movepool considering its Ability Crush Claw only has effect on 2 of his stab moves: Clamp with a poor 35 Power and Razor Shell with a below avarage 75 power, it learns no Rock moves that make contact and it not getting Waterfall is just the icing on the trashcake. What's with this generation and the movepools that seem to make no sense?

Sorry Barbaracle, I loved you but you've been useless apart from learning 'Surf' to cross a river once or twice. I'm at the final Gym and I have no idea what to do with him. He knows Razor Shell, Stone Edge and Clamp and this is the first time in my LIFE that I have no idea what to give a Pokemon for a 4th move. Well apart from 'Return', but everything can learn Return so that just feels kinda boring to me. I'm the guy who thinks HM's should become the 5th move for Pokemon just so you don't have to sacrifice a free space for one, so you can imagine my confusion right now. D:

I have more examples, but I'm incapable of remembering any more right now, this is just one that ticked me off the most in this playtrough so far. >:

RE: Moves that Pokémon should get but don't - Gen VI Edition

Raptor9229 said:
Metalizard said:
Xerneas learns Megahorn, Close Combat and Giga Impact by level up... Seems actually quite offensive to me for a graceful pokémon... I was surprised when I saw its learnset had the latter two moves... heck, even its stats, I thought it would be more defensive oriented judging by its look...

Speaking of Dazzling Gleam... It seems that pokémon related to gems and such are likely to learn it. Well, Sableye, an example of such pokémon learns it but Gigalith, another example, doesn't...

Xerneas is a deer. Did you notice the size of its rack? Mega horn fits. As does giga impact in a way. Imagine Xerneas jumping high and slamming into the ground. Close combat . . . deer can be scary up close OK?

So? Of course Megahorn fits, I never said it didn't fit! Did you read that anywhere in my post? My point was, if it is tough enough to learn moves like Close Combat, I don't see why it doesn't learn Play Rough, mentioned by the person I was replying to...

Fanmar said:
Dragalge not being able to learn Surf was already mentioned, but Barbaracle not not being able to learn Waterfall... what is this, some cruel joke? You cannot have a single Gen VI pokemon with both Surf and Waterfall unless it's your starter? That's downright torture. :/

It already has a poor movepool considering its Ability Crush Claw only has effect on 2 of his stab moves: Clamp with a poor 35 Power and Razor Shell with a below avarage 75 power, it learns no Rock moves that make contact and it not getting Waterfall is just the icing on the trashcake. What's with this generation and the movepools that seem to make no sense?

Sorry Barbaracle, I loved you but you've been useless apart from learning 'Surf' to cross a river once or twice. I'm at the final Gym and I have no idea what to do with him. He knows Razor Shell, Stone Edge and Clamp and this is the first time in my LIFE that I have no idea what to give a Pokemon for a 4th move. Well apart from 'Return', but everything can learn Return so that just feels kinda boring to me. I'm the guy who thinks HM's should become the 5th move for Pokemon just so you don't have to sacrifice a free space for one, so you can imagine my confusion right now. D:

I have more examples, but I'm incapable of remembering any more right now, this is just one that ticked me off the most in this playtrough so far. >:

Dragalge can learn Surf though? (as well as 5 Water moves through level up, as well as several through TM/HM)

I so agree on Barbaracle though.... It does have an amazing design, but it just doesn't have any amazing moves for it's Water STAB :/ the only physical Water move it can learn is meh, and Waterfall would've been great for it.

His Goominess said:
Dragalge can learn Surf though? (as well as 5 Water moves through level up, as well as several through TM/HM)

I so agree on Barbaracle though.... It does have an amazing design, but it just doesn't have any amazing moves for it's Water STAB :/ the only physical Water move it can learn is meh, and Waterfall would've been great for it.
Eh? I swear while reading trough this topic there was someone complaining about Dragalge. You are completely correct though, seems like Dragalge can learn both Waterfall and Surf with no trouble. Too bad it still doesn't get any STAB for those moves though, same problem as with Barbaracle and his limited moveset.

Yay! Someone else who likes Barbaracle's design! I think it's one of the more original 'multiple-bodied' Pokemon out there, and I like it's Pokedex entries. I think someone had a lot of fun designing it! :)
Yeah I'm still at the front door of the Final Gym trying to decide what to do with him since I can't teach him Waterfall... I guess I'll just go for 'Return' after all and just PP-max the crap out of Razor shell. I don't feel like picking a new main Pokemon after having this team for so long now.

Clauncher and Clawitzer do learn both Waterfall and Surf and receive STAB from it. I agree that Barbaracle's move options are very limited and hardly make good use of its ability (those he receives STAB from at least). On the other hand, it does learn Shell Smash for a nice power-up to make up for it! :) I think it makes sense that it cannot learn Waterfall; it could be too heavy for that.

I was hoping Sceptile would get an update this generation and would finally be able to learn Dragon Tail. It's in the egg-group and has tons of other Dragon-type attacks. If Meganium and Samurott can learn it, I don't get why Sceptile can't.

Back